Good books or references for Germany in the early 30's?

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Good books or references for Germany in the early 30's?

Post by wautd »

Last night there was a fascinating (if only short docu) about the power struggles between the SS and the SA which eventually ended in the assassinations of dozens of high ranking SA figureheads which made Hitler the unquestionable leader after the death of Hindenberg shortly thereafter. (politics aint what it used to be)

I've read a ton of WW2 stuff, but are there any recommendable books/websites that deal with this turbulent period?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Good books or references for Germany in the early 30's?

Post by Thanas »

wautd wrote:Last night there was a fascinating (if only short docu) about the power struggles between the SS and the SA which eventually ended in the assassinations of dozens of high ranking SA figureheads which made Hitler the unquestionable leader after the death of Hindenberg shortly thereafter. (politics aint what it used to be)

I've read a ton of WW2 stuff, but are there any recommendable books/websites that deal with this turbulent period?
Are you able to read German?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Thanas wrote:
wautd wrote:Last night there was a fascinating (if only short docu) about the power struggles between the SS and the SA which eventually ended in the assassinations of dozens of high ranking SA figureheads which made Hitler the unquestionable leader after the death of Hindenberg shortly thereafter. (politics aint what it used to be)

Are you able to read German?
Nein
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

That is a shame, since both authors I would recommend (Wehler and Nipperdey) write exclusively in German and the English authors I would feel safe to recommend only cover the period up to 1918. I am afraid I really cannot help you then.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Thanas wrote:That is a shame, since both authors I would recommend (Wehler and Nipperdey) write exclusively in German and the English authors I would feel safe to recommend only cover the period up to 1918. I am afraid I really cannot help you then.
Has anyone gone and tried to do translations of their works?
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
Thanas wrote:That is a shame, since both authors I would recommend (Wehler and Nipperdey) write exclusively in German and the English authors I would feel safe to recommend only cover the period up to 1918. I am afraid I really cannot help you then.
Has anyone gone and tried to do translations of their works?
Yes, but sadly the translations only cover the work up to 1918. Which is a shame, because Wehlers Gesellschaftsgeschichte especially is such a monumental piece of work that even when you disagree with the author, you still have to give credit to him for writing such a magnum opus.

However, I have found a link to an english summary and review. WARNING: PDF

I did include Nipperdey btw because although he only writes up to 1918, his conclusions are radically different from Wehler and therefore are critical to understand the works which oppose Wehler. His books have been translated into English, but I find the quality lacking and the work much shortened.

Other excellent works I remember are Eberhard Kolb: Die Weimarer Republik, Munich 2006, which is a summary of every position held by the historians and a good general introduction with an excellent bibliography.

Also, Heinrich August Winkler has gained a lot of notoriety, with his books Der lange Weg nach Westen I. Deutsche Geschichte vom Ende des Alten Reiches bis zum Untergang der Weimarer Republik, Munich 2000 and his other work Weimar 1918–1933. Die Geschichte der ersten deutschen Demokratie.

I can especially recommend the former book which has been translated into English. Amazon link. Note however that his is one voice, albeit a very influential one and certainly one of my personal favorites.

His book The long road west has become almost an icon with the start:
"In the beginning was the Reich. Everything that divides German history from the history of the great European nations had its origin in the Holy Roman Empire.

So if you can only get one english-language book, get this one. However, note that the price is quite steep - about 70$.
------------
------------
My LPs