A question about Eisenhower's farewell address

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

A question about Eisenhower's farewell address

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

In 1961 Eisenhower said this:
We now stand ten years past the midpoint of a century that has witnessed four major wars among great nations. Three of these involved our own country.
I'm assuming the three wars that America was involved in were WWI and WWII and the Korean war. My question is what was the fourth major war? There were certainly plenty of 20th century wars at that point, from the Russo-Japanese war to the First Indochina war, Which was considered major enough to be listed along with the world wars?
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Spanish-American, I do believe.

Edit: One WITHOUT America in it...
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

You mean the Spanish Civil War? The Spanish-American War was near the end of the 19th century.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

spanish civil war
WWI
WWII
Korea

I think that's 4
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Maybe he considered the Cold War a major war?
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Isolder74 wrote:spanish civil war
WWI
WWII
Korea

I think that's 4
Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05 (way more bloody than the Spanish Civil War)
French Indochina War (closer to the era)
Mexican Civil War
Italian-Aethiopian wars

...and countless other civil wars.

It is simply impossible to say which one he meant. My personal favorites would be WWI, WWII, Korea, French Indochina - because they are the closest to 1961 and had a lot of press coverage.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
FOG3
Jedi Knight

Post by FOG3 »

It would be funny if it's just he counted the Pacific Theater and European Theater separately, and let it hang like that so people would keep guessing.

Was there only one War Declaration for Japan and Europe authorized by Congress, because I'm pretty sure those were actually two separate declarations of war.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

FOG3 wrote:It would be funny if it's just he counted the Pacific Theater and European Theater separately, and let it hang like that so people would keep guessing.

Was there only one War Declaration for Japan and Europe authorized by Congress, because I'm pretty sure those were actually two separate declarations of war.
Germany et al declared war on the USA, not the other way around.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

I do not see how Ike would have considered the two theatres of WWII as seperate wars.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Isolder74 wrote:I do not see how Ike would have considered the two theatres of WWII as seperate wars.
Not only that, but his quote stipulated that only three of the conflicts involved the USA. That rules this idea out entirely.

Since he says "wars among great nations", the Russo-Japanese war sounds most likely, since it involved two great powers in direct conflict, unlike any of the other 20th century wars listed beyond the three everyone agrees with.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

One could easily incorporate the Second Sino-Japanese war that started in 1937.

Though in my opinion Eisenhower was referring to the Russo-Japanese War, since Ethiopia, Indochina, and the Mexican Civil War are not "wars among great nations."
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Isolder74 wrote:I do not see how Ike would have considered the two theatres of WWII as seperate wars.
Because there's been a war going on for almost 5 years before there was a Pacific Theater? Seriously, does no one here realize there was a lot more to the war in the Pacific than American island-hopping? :?

Seriously, I fail to see how any other war would qualify. The Spanish Civil war was not a war between Great Nations, and neither were the other wars people mentioned in this thread. The only exception was the RJW, which was more than half a century in the past at the time, and nowhere near important enough on the global scale (and MUCH less costly in terms of both lives and capital when compared to the later wars).

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

fgalkin wrote:
Because there's been a war going on for almost 5 years before there was a Pacific Theater? Seriously, does no one here realize there was a lot more to the war in the Pacific than American island-hopping? :?

Seriously, I fail to see how any other war would qualify. The Spanish Civil war was not a war between Great Nations, and neither were the other wars people mentioned in this thread. The only exception was the RJW, which was more than half a century in the past at the time, and nowhere near important enough on the global scale (and MUCH less costly in terms of both lives and capital when compared to the later wars).

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The difference is that Eisenhower's generation of American's was still being taught and could understand at a gut level the pride form Teddy Roosevelt's Nobel after presiding over the peace conference that ended the Russo-Japanese War. Since the US was involved in the end of it, and it involved two world powers (who would fight with and against the US in the future) I think it likely this was the reference.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

A little late chiming in here, but might he have been referring to the Franco-Prussian and/or Austro-Prussian Wars (Wars of German Unification)? More casualties than the Russo-Japanese War, and just as significant, if not moreso.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Robert Treder wrote:A little late chiming in here, but might he have been referring to the Franco-Prussian and/or Austro-Prussian Wars (Wars of German Unification)? More casualties than the Russo-Japanese War, and just as significant, if not moreso.
That seems rather unlikely, as he is referring to the 20th century and those conflicts were nearly half a century too soon.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Oh good call, I misread the quote, thinking he was referring to the century that preceded 1950. It's gotta be the Russo-Japanese War then.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB