Union Colored Units (From the South)

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Union Colored Units (From the South)

Post by Kitsune »

On another debate forum, a person made the statement:
Not really true. The USCT (and we've counted the white officers BTW) had surprisingly few volunteers from the south. The Union did effectively press gang blacks from conquered territories though.
I have listened to a series of lectures on the American Civil War and this appears to directly contradict what I listened to. I did a bit of searching but my google-fu seems to be failing.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Re: Union Colored Units (From the South)

Post by Samuel »

What is he talking about? Who Southern territories turned against their traitorous bretheran- West Virginia is a well known example, with the Federation of the Johnes (almost certainly spelled wrong) being another case. In Texas they annihilated groups of German settelers because they were pro-Union and the border states were half and half- some joined the South, others the North.

As for press gang blacks :wanker:

Sherman had the problem that his army was being followed by contrabands- freed slaves who stuck with the Union forces to ensure they stayed free. His attempts to dump them were unsuccessful. In addition, the Union army did not accept blacks in their ranks until after Anihem- they didn't think they would make good soldiers.

This seems to be a classic case of Confederate Apologism.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Quite a few tens of thousands of freed slaves did join the ranks, but the number was a bit on the small side to the total number of freed slaves. However the army and Lincoln is as much to blame for this as anything else since it wouldn’t form black combat units until late 1862, and before the confiscation act was passed captured slaves were essentially army slaves, abet we did pay them to work as laborers. That meant a lot of manpower that could have been mobilized just got pissed off at the Union army. Some wore uniforms while working as laborers, but only because of the unavailability of civilian cloths close to the frontline.

The number of black volunteers from the north however was quite high in proportion to the total free black population in comparison to the proportion of the white population mobilized.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

I known it is Wiki, but assuming the numbers hold up, more black soldiers were recruited in the South than in the North.

What I wanted to know was if there was any heavy press ganging of the men into colored union units?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

It seems ridiculous to think that you would have to press gang a slave to fight his former masters. Quite the opposite-too many of them presents a logistical and training problem. As a previous Poster said, Sherman had more blacks following him than he wanted or needed.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I vaugly recall hearing that Sherman's army grew as it marched through Georgia, though I'll admit I don't have a source on hand.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I vaugly recall hearing that Sherman's army grew as it marched through Georgia, though I'll admit I don't have a source on hand.
http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=12690