Soviet Environmental Policies

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Soviet Environmental Policies

Post by Zor »

One thing i was wondering about, but found comparitively little on beyond the Devistation of the Aral Sea.

With the effects of the Soviet cotton industry on the that paticular body of water being a notable exaple, from what i read, the Soviets (and the Russian Fed. afterwards) had a bunch of really bad enviromental policies and i was wondering, how bad were they?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Soviet Environmental Policies

Post by K. A. Pital »

Well, the Aral sea could've dried up totally if some measures weren't taken in the recent years, so yeah it was pretty bad from an environmental point. However, cotton production went massively up. Large industrial projects tend to have massive environmental effects.

In some places the reverse was observed. The Sayano-Shushensk dam when constructed led to a 250 km long unfreezing zone on the river, and the massive body of water above combined with the un-freezing flow below resulted in a greatly mildened climate. Many thousands of square kilometers impacted by this climate change attracted wildlife and led to a great diversity of plants and animals. The place is now a wildlife reserve.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Not sure how accurate it is, but there's a map of the Soviet Union titled "Soviet and post-Soviet ecocide" in the back of Stephen Kotkin's Armageddon Averted that has huge swathes of territory being affected by "Multiple Pollutant Danger," "Characteristic Pollutants," "Soil Erosion," "Deforestation," "Acid Rain," and "Water Pollution," with dozens of specific points of "Air Pollution," "Groundwater Depletion or Contamination," "Pollution of Seas," "Depletion of Fish Resources," "Soil Salination, Depletion, or Contaminatinon [sic]," "Disruption of Permafrost Soil Conditions," and "Disruption of Land or Depletion of Subsoil."
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Zor wrote:With the effects of the Soviet cotton industry on the that paticular body of water being a notable exaple, from what i read, the Soviets (and the Russian Fed. afterwards) had a bunch of really bad enviromental policies and i was wondering, how bad were they?
The August 1994 National Geographic had a pretty good expose about that. It's neither political nor going for the "gasps of horor" style either. Pick it up if you can.

Judging from that, the policies were pretty horrific. There were a lot of cases where things were just plain frightening. Massive industrial pollution, widespread environmental damage, and way too many innocent people caught up in incidents of the same. The policies were not really malovelent, it was just a case of environmental protection not being an issue or impossible to address because of the lack of funds. It's pretty bad and the report suggested there was a lot more yet to be fully understood.

In short, pretty damn bad even for the pace of industrialization. Of course, it sounds like China is on a pace to be even worse.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Based on an article I once read about Mayak and the massive amounts of nuclear pollution.... not good