[WW2]What was Italy good at?

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

wautd
Emperor's Hand

[WW2]What was Italy good at?

Post by wautd »

Italy was probably the most underwhelming combat force of WW2 (poor morale, absolete tanks, etc...), but was there anything they were good at?

eg, there fleet was supposed to be pretty impressive (well, on paper anyway, it's not like they used it).
And how about equipment like small arms, aircraft, artillery,... ?
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Frogmen operations. Their naval commando's were pretty good, even managing to severely damage the Queen Elizibeth in one of their raids. Their modest successes are quite impressive when you consider the state of underwater breathing gear in WWII.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

They also used a lot of chemical weapons when the other guy couldn't fight back (Ethiopia).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

The DB 605 powered Italian fighters Reggiane Re.2005, Macchi C.205 and Fiat G.55 were quite decent planes at the time of their introduction. However since they appeared shortly before the armistice they saw only limited service and even all three models added up only around 600 were ever built.

Why the Italians decided to produce three different, but quite similar, fighters simultaneously is a bit of a mystery to me. Seems silly really, especially when you consider the state of Italian industry at the time.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Re: [WW2]What was Italy good at?

Post by Big Orange »

wautd wrote:absolete tanks, etc...
In 1940 their M13/40 medium tank was not obsolete by most standards, with a then impressive 47mm cannon and reasonable 40mm armour (with specs just like France's tactically successful Somua S35 cavalry tanks, but lower in construction quality). But their generally mediocre performance in North Africa was likely due to crew training, poor strategy, and bad logistics (this was out in the middle of the desert). While they had utter crap like the M11/39 and 33 Tankette, their M3/40s weren't so bad if they used by the British and Gemans.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Sub machine guns and pistols. Of course said weaponry was made to very high tolerances

The Beretta M1935 pistol was as big a trophy in Italy as the Lugar was in Europe with the exception that the M1935 was designed as a hold out last defense weapon so it was easy to carry and hide.

The Beretta Model 38 SMG was easy to handle, light and highly accurate for a SMG due to the high tolerances set by Beretta in it's manufacture.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

The problem with Italy is that they modernized their entire army earlier than the rest of Europe. That isn't such a big deal until you fight a war in the 1940s with military gear from the mid 1930s.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

I believe German commanders in North Africa said Italian Infantry were quite fine. Their performance was largely on par with everyone else, and they had enough will to fight. The did not however, speak very highly of their officers and leadership though.
Best care anywhere.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

CaptHawkeye wrote:I believe German commanders in North Africa said Italian Infantry were quite fine. Their performance was largely on par with everyone else, and they had enough will to fight. The did not however, speak very highly of their officers and leadership though.
IIRC, this was a fault of the rapid expansion of the army not really having enough competent NCO's to go around.
Maxentius
Padawan Learner

Post by Maxentius »

I am by no means an authoritative source for World War II, especially compared to the rest of the board, but the way I understand it, the Regia Marina (Italian Royal Navy) was not exactly that bad of a force, they just happened to be crippled by bad leadership and supply.

And of course, they were thoroughly outclassed by the Royal Navy, whom happened to be their main foe in the Mediterranean.
Rome is an eternal thought in the mind of God... If there were no Rome, I'd dream of her.
--Marcus Licinius Crassus, Spartacus.

CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Nah. Regia Marina had piss training, poorly designed vessels, and useless equipment. Having bad "leadership and supply" were only symptoms, Regia Marina had a lot of deep seated problems as a naval force, and ended up being so impotent they spent most of the war hiding from the Royal Navy while it went on a rampage in their own back yard. Early in the way they had tried to sortie against Allied Naval forces (not just the Royal Navy) on numerous occasions, and every time they got their asses handed to them.
Best care anywhere.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Horrendous light and medium machine guns. Really truly awful, copping the worst design features from other nations' weapons and combining them into fully-auto jamming machines.

Ian Hogg's stuff on the subject is actually kind of funny, to read.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Italy had very good bombers, attack planes and transports in the 1940-42 period, though by 1943 it had failed to introduce any new models in numbers which is symptomatic of the entire Italian war effort.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I don't think Italy modernized any sooner than its opponents and allies, since even Germany and Russia in the 1939 to 1942 period had a lot of crap from the 1930s they were forced to phase out (like the Panzer IIs and T-28s).

Out of the major powers I'd say Imperial Japan was the worse in keeping up with rapid wartime developments on all fronts, with machineguns worse than what the Italians had, not properly issuing submachineguns to their infantry, keeping their tanks rooted in 1935 for too long, and having their aircrat carriers being fitted with obsolete AA guns.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I remember reading something that said "While the Royal Navy drinks rum, and the Americans prefer whiskey, the Italian Navy sticks to port." :)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

CaptHawkeye wrote:I believe German commanders in North Africa said Italian Infantry were quite fine. Their performance was largely on par with everyone else, and they had enough will to fight. The did not however, speak very highly of their officers and leadership though.
To add to that: The german commanders (Rommel) spoke highly about some Italian formations, like the Ariete and Littorio divisions. The other divisions...well, let's just say that I have read quotes and personally talked to members of the Afrika Korps who basically said that the Ariete was the only Italian division that actually was of any use.

Of course those are highly subjective accounts (blaming the Italians is a common excuse for having lost the war in Africa) yet that is the gist of it.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

One of the major problems was that, for political reasons, Mussolini was prevailed upon to shift from the trinary division to the binary, creating a series of new divisional commanders who had no business in those posts.

As in many other armies eventually allied to Germany, the officer corps was the province of a higher class found mostly in the north, while line troopers were southern conscripts. Special considerations for the officers reinforced this natural alienation and reduced unit cohesion.

Radar was first pioneered by the Italians, who fumbled the lead, btw.
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

The Savoia-Marchetti SM-79 Sparviero torpedo bomber was a reasonable anti-shipping attack aircraft.

Some of their light armour was decent. The Autoblinda AB series of Armoured cars were quite good and the Sahariana scout car was pretty respectable.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.