Should be easy math

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Should be easy math

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I was helping my cousin go over her math homework, and she was doing true-false with regards to math problems. One question was:

1. |x| is always positive.

She marked true, and got marked wrong. The teacher explained that x could be +3 or -3, and then went onto the next. Am I insane, or did this teacher make an incredibly obvious mistake. My cousin was trying to figure out how it could be right, as she pointed it out to the teacher and was quickly dismissed.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

The teacher is wrong, but x could be 0 which technically isn't a positive number.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I'll second Yogi's analysis: while x can be negative or positive, |x| is certainly nonnegative. The teacher might be buffaloed into giving a correct mark if the "zero" possibility is somehow missed.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

Actually, the teacher is right. If you graph the function F(x)= abs(x), you'd have two lines with the slope of x and -x respectively diverging from the origin. So abs(x)= x for x>0
= -x for x<0
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

SpacedTeddyBear wrote:Actually, the teacher is right. If you graph the function F(x)= abs(x), you'd have two lines with the slope of x and -x respectively diverging from the origin. So abs(x)= x for x>0
= -x for x<0
Uh.. the question was "is abs(x) always positive". They weren't talking about the slope of abs(x).
ImageImage
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

SpacedTeddyBear wrote:Actually, the teacher is right. If you graph the function F(x)= abs(x), you'd have two lines with the slope of x and -x respectively diverging from the origin. So abs(x)= x for x>0
= -x for x<0
You're talking about the derivative of abs(x), not abs(x) itself.

The teacher is right, but for the wrong reason; abs(x) is non-negative, but not necessarily positive.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

= -x for x<0
You're thinking that d|x|/dx is not always positive; however, the sign of the derivative is not an indicator of the sign of the function. For example, f(x) = -1/x has a derivative which is always positive, but the value of the function }itself is always less than zero. In this case, |x| is, in fact, always positive for nonzero x.

However, CaptainChewbacca, your cousin did miss the problem, because |x| is not strictly positive; for x zero, it's not the case that |x|>0. The teacher's justification strikes me as incorrect, though; in her explanation, she gave the domain as including negatives (which it does), when the question asked about the range of the function.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

Woah guys, I wasn't talking about the derivative. But I did made a bad oopsie on my explaination. I made the same arguement that the teacher made on that the domain can be a non-negative number. Again my bad. :cry:
slebetman
Padawan Learner

Post by slebetman »

SpacedTeddyBear wrote:Woah guys, I wasn't talking about the derivative. But I did made a bad oopsie on my explaination. I made the same arguement that the teacher made on that the domain can be a non-negative number. Again my bad. :cry:
The domain of x can be negative, true. But the domain of |x| cannot be negative. That is to say, if y = |x| then x may be negative but y can never be negative.
Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kuroneko »

As others noted, |x| may be zero, and hence is not always positive.
slebetman wrote:The domain of x can be negative, true. But the domain of |x| cannot be negative. That is to say, if y = |x| then x may be negative but y can never be negative.
You're confusing domain and range. The domain of |x| is the set of all real numbers (or some other seminormed space), but the range of |x| is the set of all nonnegative reals.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

The teacher is right, but the justification is wrong.
Statement wrote:|x| is always positive.
Teacher wrote:The teacher explained that x could be +3 or -3
Yes, the x itself could be a negative number, but that is not what the statement is saying. The statement is saying that the absolute value of the x is always positive. The teacher is right because 0 is not a negative or a positve, zero is quite literally nothing.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Yeah. Tell her to ask her teacher
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

whoops,...
Tell her to ask again.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

ARG!

The teacher's explanation MAKES NO SENSE! She says "its false because X is a variable". Unless she's talking about zero and not communicating, she's off her nut.
ImageImage
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

Put abs(X) into a graphing calculator, either handheld or online and just show it to her beyond that, I can't think of anything else you could do to show her that she's abs(fucking wrong). If it actually gets to that point, you should probably bring it to the attention of the teacher's higher ups because this kind of stupidity should NOT be allowed to progress further.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:ARG!

The teacher's explanation MAKES NO SENSE! She says "its false because X is a variable". Unless she's talking about zero and not communicating, she's off her nut.
That's bullshit; by that logic, "exp(x) is always positive" is false because x runs through R.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:ARG!

I think your cousin's math teacher is just incompetent and doesn't understand the problem.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kuroneko »

If for the moment you're more concerned about your cousing learning which answer is correct and why rather than divining the meaning of the teacher's explanation (however alarming its unintelligibility may be), just explain that absolutely value is "distance from zero". It then becomes quite obvious that this can be zero, and hence not always positive. This way of conceptualizing absolute value is also more useful than "gets rid of negatives", since that way she'll have a smoother transition to absolutely value in other contexts later on (e.g., complex numbers, which is a fairly standard high school topic).
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Re: Should be easy math

Post by Master of Cards »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I was helping my cousin go over her math homework, and she was doing true-false with regards to math problems. One question was:

1. |x| is always positive.

She marked true, and got marked wrong. The teacher explained that x could be +3 or -3, and then went onto the next. Am I insane, or did this teacher make an incredibly obvious mistake. My cousin was trying to figure out how it could be right, as she pointed it out to the teacher and was quickly dismissed.
x by it self can be either l l those lines mean it turns to a + number no matter what
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Master of Cards wrote:x by it self can be either l l those lines mean it turns to a + number no matter what
That's a rather simplistic way of looking at it, and it lends itself to misconceptions, in the special case of zero in the real numbers, as well as when "absolute value" is extended in vector and complex algebra. Better to use Kuroneko's explanation of absolute value as distance from zero.

Interestingly enough, as an extension of that explanation, |x-y| represents the distance between x and y, and this way of looking at it holds in more general cases.
F. Douglass
Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kuroneko »

Surlethe wrote:Interestingly enough, as an extension of that explanation, |x-y| represents the distance between x and y, and this way of looking at it holds in more general cases.
Indeed. As a bonus, the inequality |x-y|≤|x|+|y| then expresses the same thing as the triangle inequality AC≤AB+BC commonly taught in geometry: going straight from one place to another covers no more distance than making a detour through some point (C or zero) first. Realizing the same concepts recur in many different guises is very important to building problem-solving skills.

P.S. Not to ruin a witty quote, but you do realize that the pH scale is logarithmic, right?
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Kuroneko wrote:
Surlethe wrote:Interestingly enough, as an extension of that explanation, |x-y| represents the distance between x and y, and this way of looking at it holds in more general cases.
Indeed. As a bonus, the inequality |x-y|≤|x|+|y| then expresses the same thing as the triangle inequality AC≤AB+BC commonly taught in geometry: going straight from one place to another covers no more distance than making a detour through some point (C or zero) first. Realizing the same concepts recur in many different guises is very important to building problem-solving skills.
Indeed. Actually, I didn't hear about the "triangle inequality" until I got into Calculus III, where we experienced it with vector addition. The algebraic representation looks intimidating at first blush, but when you think about it, it makes sense, and is nicely generalizable from the reals into more complicated settings (at least the nice stuff (R^n, C) which I've studied so far).
P.S. Not to ruin a witty quote, but you do realize that the pH scale is logarithmic, right?
Yes. That's what I found funny about the quote, so I sigged it.
F. Douglass
Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kuroneko »

Surlethe wrote:Actually, I didn't hear about the "triangle inequality" until I got into Calculus III, where we experienced it with vector addition. The algebraic representation looks intimidating at first blush, but when you think about it, it makes sense, and is nicely generalizable from the reals into more complicated settings (at least the nice stuff (R^n, C) which I've studied so far).
That's strange. You probably encountered it in the form of determining whether or not there exists a triangle with sides of three given lengths, even if the name itself was not covered. Speaking of vectors, did your class prove it? If so, I'm curious of the method of showing the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality x·y ≤ |x||y| (the triangle inequality for R^n is a direct consequence).
Surlethe wrote:Yes. That's what I found funny about the quote, so I sigged it.
Ah.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

:shock: This is the most confusing thing I have read on here to date. Does anyone know if there is like a Math for Dummies (i.e. ME) or something that might help me not feel so much like, well, a dummy when I read these threads?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

It's only confusing because of Chewie's cousin's stupid math teacher. |x| cannot be negative. End of story. Graph it if she doesn't believe it.

Other than that, what Kuroneko and Surlethe are talking about is probably beyond the grasp of most people on the board, not to mention in real life.
Destructionator XIII wrote:To get the best foundation though, college classes really are the best way to go.
I'd really say that High School classes are the foundation of math. You know, good old basic manipulation of numbers, all the way up to basic calculus.