Psychology

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Is psychology a pseudoscience?

Yes.
27%
No, it's a real science.
73%

Total votes: 11

Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Psychology

Post by Durandal »

The now closed homosexual thread got me thinking about this. Do you think that psychology is a pseudoscience, or is it legitimate?
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Well I know Hypnotists at least have somthing to them, The short term suggestion thing realy works as I've watched it be done to the stuffist shirt conservative creationist who's mother was Amish to give you idea how bad this guy was, Simple test I knew would work and he would NEVER do is in his mind as soon as he was under suggest that he should say Breast, instead of Hello

Then we took him outside
Sure it was mean, but it got the personal proof I wanted(Me being for some reason totaly unhypnotisable even when I'm trying to let the guy do it, never works)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Resident Commie
Youngling

Depends

Post by Resident Commie »

Psychology can be divided into many areas. Some follow pseudoscientific practices. Others are legitimate practices, for example bio psyc that studies areas of the brain and how they work, and their purpose.
If those in charge of our society-politicians, corporate executives and owners of press and television-can dominate our ideas, they will be secure in their power. They will not need soldiers patrolling the streets. We will control ourselves
-Howard Zinn
Nick
Jedi Knight

Re: Depends

Post by Nick »

Resident Commie wrote:Psychology can be divided into many areas. Some follow pseudoscientific practices. Others are legitimate practices, for example bio psyc that studies areas of the brain and how they work, and their purpose.
I'd have to agree - psuedoscience is a question of how investigations are conducted (or, more to the point, not conducted), rather than a question of field of study.

Psychology is somewhat hampered by the fact that the ideal conditions of an experiment with a single uncontrolled variable are rarely possible. The consequence of that is that it is hard to get the hard and fast rules one finds in physics and chemistry and so forth.

Rather, it is a matter of finding trends and tendencies, predispositions, etc, trying to get a handle on what is common to many or all humans and/or other animals. Are there cranks out there? Sure - but most research psychologists are genuine scientists, who are reluctant to venture opinions without hard data, and clearly tag speculative hypothoses as speculation. The complex nature of the field, and the difficulty of getting and interpreting data often means the answers aren't as clearcut as we might hope.

If you are specifically talking about Freudian psychology and/or psychotherapy - Freud was a crank who managed to make some reasonable sounding guesses, but got cause and effect in a hopelessly tangled mess. Unsurprisingly, psychotherapists are not big on publishing scientific papers providing reliable evidence to back up their practices - they rely almost exclusively on anecdotal evidence.
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment