Boeing explores idea of Anti Grav Device

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Boeing explores idea of Anti Grav Device

Post by Mr. B »

http://www.conspiracycafe.com/news/0730 ... TR&coview=

I found this surfing last night. I don't know that much about physics but take a look and put in your two cents.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Anything store on a web-site called Consiprsys Cafe I'm very distrustful because Cafe is a French term and thus my logic begins and ends there :twisted:

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Mr Bean wrote:Anything store on a web-site called Consiprsys Cafe I'm very distrustful because Cafe is a French term and thus my logic begins and ends there :twisted:
lol. Theres more work that has to go in anti grav. We're just not up to it yet.
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Originally posted by Tychu
lol. Theres more work that has to go in anti grav. We're just not up to it yet.
I very much agree with you, I mean we can't control or decide how gravity it's self works, how the hell are we meant to understand/create it's oposite :?:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Obviously someone wants to try.

The BBC reported that just over a year ago, BAE Systems started research into an AG device, Boeing are just following suit.
AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

I suppose I should point out that optimistic Harvard MBA's investing money in something does not necessarily represent validation of the concept. Does anyone remember the dot-com "B2B" model?
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
Tranan
Jedi Knight

Post by Tranan »

wath wod the energy consupstion bee if you cod sucsed to lift any ting? It looks to me it wod bee a lot, wonder if it wod be profitbale
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I read an article about it, apparently some Russian scientist claims to have created some funky machine thing and Boeing and NASA are looking into it.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Interesting... I dunno, could work. At least they are using magnetics, which is about the one way I can figure to temporarily overcome gravity.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

We already have an anti gravity device, its called an airplane..

I really doubt were going to out do planes within the next 50 years.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
C.S.Strowbridge
Sore Loser

Post by C.S.Strowbridge »

Sea Skimmer wrote:We already have an anti gravity device, its called an airplane..
That's the first thing I thought of when I heard about this.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Its a well know fact all progress is made through Accidents and Made Russian Scientists :D
(Hey it was a mad Russia Scientist who gave the world Tetrius! :P )

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Conspiracy Cafe Article wrote:The scientist says he found that objects above a superconducting ceramic disc rotating over powerful electromagnets lost weight.
Assuming their telling the truth about their results, which could not be verified, they're still wrong. The object simply experienced a decrease in the net downward force acting on it because of a magnetic force opposite that of gravity. This is nothing new. Mag trains have existed for years.
The reduction in gravity was small, about 2%, but the implications - for example, in terms of cutting the energy needed for a plane to fly - were immense.
More bullshit, gravity was not reduced, just like gravity is not reduced when a hot air baloon flies. This whole article is crap n' the box.

In the future, when someone wants to start a thread about technological development, they need to give a link to a qualified site like http://www.boeing.com, or http://www.nasa.gov, not conspiracycafe.com.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: Boeing explores idea of Anti Grav Device

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Mr. B wrote:http://www.conspiracycafe.com/news/0730 ... TR&coview=

I found this surfing last night. I don't know that much about physics but take a look and put in your two cents.
Hmmmmm, taking a closer look at that site, I quickly realized it seems to be full of as much unsupported pseudoscience as say, the Art Bell radio program. I'll agree with the general sentiment and say that the site isn't a reliable source of scientific information.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

The article was posted to several other places.

http://janes.com/aerospace/civil/news/j ... _1_n.shtml
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/physics/0108005

The problem lies with the guy who "invented" this device... Evgeny Podkletnov. He's got a history of making wild claims that he "proves", but his results can't be replicated.
The Great and Malignant
Soulman
Padawan Learner

Post by Soulman »

No-one has been able to recreate his results and he will not release many details about his experiments, he is therefore most likely lying....
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Soulman wrote:No-one has been able to recreate his results and he will not release many details about his experiments, he is therefore most likely lying....
Or Russia won't let him release his results since he now works at a special chemical production plant that has never released info (even it's address) to outsiders.
adam warlock
Youngling

Post by adam warlock »

some research on this matter to help a colleague about a year ago.

still got some of papers by E.Podkletnov and R.Nieminen, Ning Li and D.G. Torr..and others

ill scan the front pages/abstracts if anyone wants references.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Why the heck don't they try to manipulate the earth's electromagnetic fields instead??? I thought gravity was weaker than electromagnetics??
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"