How bad is not eating for you?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Guid
Jedi Council Member

How bad is not eating for you?

Post by The Guid »

It might be a stupid question but how long does it take for taking in only water to really screw with someone?
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
WyrdNyrd
Jedi Knight

Post by WyrdNyrd »

Four hours for me, give or take. But I have blood-suger problems, and I start shaking and shivering if my blood-suger drops too low.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

If I recall correctly, the maximum for an average person is somewhere around forty days.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Surlethe wrote:If I recall correctly, the maximum for an average person is somewhere around forty days.
Depending on how much you ate recently, you'll have serious hunger pangs within about six to nine hours. You'll be ravenous for about a day or so after that point. After that though, it kind of wears off.

And Guid, if you're thinking of doing something along these lines, I *really* don't recommend it...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

Depends a lot on activity as well. After two days of activity and no food, everything takes an effort. You can still do stuff, but you get exhausted really quickly.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is your style

Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03

Thus Aristotle laid it down that a heavy object falls faster then a light one does.
The important thing about this idea is not that he was wrong, but that it never occurred to Aristotle to check it.
- Albert Szent-Györgyi de Nagyrápolt
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

How bad is not eating? Fatally bad.

From what I remember, two or three weeks will cause death from lack of food. However, this conflicts with the forty day figure given earlier. One or both of us is wrong.
TheBlackCat
Padawan Learner

Post by TheBlackCat »

I have maybe 10 hours tops before I get a serious migraine, although I can get one after as little 5. Fluids are worse, if I get the least bit dehydrated I can be out of comission for up to a day.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
-Richard Dawkins
nickolay1
Jedi Knight

Post by nickolay1 »

Usually six to seven hours prior to the start of abdominal pain and cramping. However, I've never had a headache from hunger.
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

And Guid, if you're thinking of doing something along these lines, I *really* don't recommend it...
Quite agree, friend of mine is doing this for the sake of art, and I am seriously against it, was just seeing if I was being paranoid or not.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

The Guid wrote:
Quite agree, friend of mine is doing this for the sake of art, and I am seriously against it, was just seeing if I was being paranoid or not.
What kind of retard could possibly think that starving themselves is somehow artistic? Well, minus supermodels of course.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The Guid wrote:
If he incurs massive cell apoptosis as a consequence and malnourishment, ask if you can display his corpse for your own art piece to monumentally stupid ideas.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

General Zod wrote:What kind of retard could possibly think that starving themselves is somehow artistic?
David Blaine.
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

David Blaine is not a good example of how long a person can last without eating, he is an actor not someone in a famine.

How long you can last depends on your level of activity and what condition you were in beforehand. For the best documentation of the effects of starvation, look into the German death camps of WW2. This example has the benifits of being very well recorded and large in scale.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The longest I've gone was 36 hours. After the first 24 hours you really stop noticing the hunger apart from the general weakness and dizzyness.

I did have some very awkward dreams involving the Seven Dwarves and dancing sandwiches. No joke.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Stormin wrote:David Blaine is not a good example of how long a person can last without eating, he is an actor not someone in a famine.

How long you can last depends on your level of activity and what condition you were in beforehand. For the best documentation of the effects of starvation, look into the German death camps of WW2. This example has the benifits of being very well recorded and large in scale.
Agreed. IIRC, I thought I had heard somewhere that he fattened himself up before his little 40 day stunt. Also, inactivity in a box is much less toll than the conditions you describe.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

I have a history of going an entire day without eating without really feeling it. Of course I usually do have my fill of water and have something that I am distracted with.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I've gone for a day or two without food, but generally not by choice. Ever had Norwalk?

Anyways, if I do go more than, say, eight hours without eating, in my experience the hunger pangs go away in 12-15 hours. My wife, however, has much more trouble with food deprivation than I do. She has an excuse now (she's eight months pregnant), but she's like that even when not in a gravid condition.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

Mario1470 wrote:Agreed. IIRC, I thought I had heard somewhere that he fattened himself up before his little 40 day stunt. Also, inactivity in a box is much less toll than the conditions you describe.

You do know how magicians work right? I very much doubt he is going completely without any form of nourishment, it's just not going to be televised or even very noticeable to anyone else who is watching.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

In an interesting coincidence, I currently find myself in this very predicament. I have gone eleven hours without food (a small snack in the first place) and about eight without drink. Oddly enough, I'm not thirsty at all. My hunger can be described as 'very hungry,' but not really painful or anything, no headache or cramps.

Needless to say I am currently seeking to rectify this.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

It depends entirely on how much body fat you have, and whether or not you're taking supplimental vitamins/minerals/enzymes. There won't be any permanent damage until the body fat is completely gone, then you must RESUME EATING or you will die. Your cells just can't not respire; if there isn't any readily available carbohydrates (ideal) or lipids (okay) your body will turn to its own protein (lethal). You will be weak and grumpy for the duration, though. I'm speaking from experience.
Zero
Jedi Council Member
Location: Trying to find the divide between real memories and false ones.

Post by Zero »

I haven't had lunch today, and that's really annoying. My stummy is growling at me.

Now, the time when I didn't eat for four days, it got really really bad for the first two days, then the effect kind of wore off. Of course, I wasn't sleeping either, so I may just have not been very aware of my own physical feelings and whatnot.

From what my anorexic friends have told me, if you don't eat for a long time, you start to lose focus, and everything starts to feel really distant, like how I feel when I don't sleep. They also say that there's a general dull ache in all of your muscles, but it almost feels kind of good. Of course, this is second-hand shit, and I have no ideas what effects prolongued lack of food might have, although I know one of them is eventually death.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

General Zod wrote: What kind of retard could possibly think that starving themselves is somehow artistic? Well, minus supermodels of course.
They do eat something. Cottonballs, actually.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Darth Raptor wrote:It depends entirely on how much body fat you have, and whether or not you're taking supplimental vitamins/minerals/enzymes. There won't be any permanent damage until the body fat is completely gone, then you must RESUME EATING or you will die. Your cells just can't not respire; if there isn't any readily available carbohydrates (ideal) or lipids (okay) your body will turn to its own protein (lethal).
Actually, you can go awhile burning your muscle tissue before death sets in.

I have an uncle who almost starved to death in a POW camp in WWII. He was definitely into the point of the body utilizing major muscles as fuel. He managed to recover as well - but it took several years for him to regain the muscle mass he had lost.

Starvation isn't something folks should be playing around with. It can have some severe consequences.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I sometimes forget to eat for a whole day, and I'm a pretty wiry guy. When I'm working I don't get the hunger feeling, and if I'm involved in something it never occurs to me to go eat. I figure most of the time I'm eating because I consciously decide to - the hunger thing only kicks in when I want something nice like Monoglian lamb or whatever, so it's probably learned.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Breakfast doesn't count for me because I never eat it.

But missing Lunch or Dinner once will give me a migrane within an hour or so that lasts until about half an hour after I eat to correct it and makes the sides of my head around my temples feel like they're seceding from the rest of my face.

I have problems with migranes and other things like that, though, so I'm probably atypical.