Feasability of Cryonics

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Feasability of Cryonics

Post by Nephtys »

Cryonic suspension and revival... the idea that someone perhaps with an incurable disease or on the verge of death could be frozen and then revived and healed at at a later time. Be it neurosuspension of full-body, what is likely posisble and what is not? What are your opinions of the concept?
Il Saggiatore
Padawan Learner

Re: Feasability of Cryonics

Post by Il Saggiatore »

Nephtys wrote:Cryonic suspension and revival... the idea that someone perhaps with an incurable disease or on the verge of death could be frozen and then revived and healed at at a later time. Be it neurosuspension of full-body, what is likely posisble and what is not? What are your opinions of the concept?
The problem is to prevent the cells from bursting when the water freezes and becomes ice.
Simply dumping the body into liquid nitrogen is not enough, because you cannot cool the inner part quickly enough to prevent ice from forming crystals (the heat conductivity of the tissues is not high enough).
You could put anti-freeze into the blood, but I don't think there is a healthy way to get the desired results.

"This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against me!" - Bender (Futurama)

"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" - Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes)

"It's all about context!" - Vince Noir (The Mighty Boosh)
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Lower animals can do it, so we should be able to as well. The ice lysis of cells problem is overcome by special proteins that target ice crystals that get too large and stop them growing anymore. If we can perfect that process, we can do cryogenics.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

How many different types of suspension are there. You here about statis chambers in sci-fi, grav tanks in event horizon might just be deep sleep. Plus there are several differnet mentioned in books.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

There are also Zero Tau pods from the Night's Dawn Trilogy, but they stop time from entering the field area and aren't really cryogenics.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

We could just slow down the metabolism, keep the body refrigerated, and do that zombie shit those guys in South America do. It'd work, I think. Suspended animation doesn't have to deal with turning a human body into an icicle.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Most of the people who are cryonically frozen are dead before that happens- and there is still no good idea how to unfreeze someone.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: Feasability of Cryonics

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Nephtys wrote:Cryonic suspension and revival... the idea that someone perhaps with an incurable disease or on the verge of death could be frozen and then revived and healed at at a later time. Be it neurosuspension of full-body, what is likely posisble and what is not? What are your opinions of the concept?
This shows me that reading the OP before replying is a valuable skill. In this case, it is technically possible, as soon as we can imitate Nature to a degree that we don't have human-pops. This assumes you freeze them before they die. After they die, you're likely wasting a perfectly good cryogenics tube on a corpse.

There are ethical issues with freezing someone, only to revive them centuries and centuries later. Would they be able to be productive citizens of the future society, for one? It would be like taking Leonardo Da Vinci and dumping him into modern New York. He might've been quite the genius in his day, but now, his knowlege is over half a millenium out of date. The potential burden on society would likely outweigh the gain of reviving a cryogenically suspended person.

Better to use the technique in an environment where it won't matter how far behind the times you've become . . . aboard a starship heading out to colonize, say Tau Ceti. In this case, it won't matter what happens back on dear mother Earth. It won't matter what happens to society back home because they won't be on Tau Ceti when you get there and wake up (this ignores the possibility Earth will dispatch a faster expedition sometime after yours left, and the second expedition beats you to Tau Ceti, in which case, you've got a problem.)
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

The people give their consent, so I don't see why it's an ethical issue.

Anyway, it reminds me of the Fierce Creatures movie. A gunshot to the head is not curable no matter what time you're in. :P
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Most of the people who are cryonically frozen are dead before that happens- and there is still no good idea how to unfreeze someone.
Even if you could, the crystalization process fucks up with their cells, doesn't it? I believe someone in this thread mentions it.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

"Oh, Mr. Burns, we'll thaw you out the second they discover the cure for seventeen stab wounds in the back. How're we doing, boys?" "Well, we're up to fifteen!"
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

They are working on various compounds that would prevent the freezing process, since frogs have shown that cells with a high concentration of glucose are not harmed by freezing, and glycerol is a possiblity for human cryonics. But of course applying it to a whole body evenly is quite a problem still.. so yeah, one big part is working with the crystalization issue still.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

We should pin all our hopes on Quantum. Again.

In the meantime however, I don't have any personal moral and ethical issues with the whole cryogenics thing. Could make for an amusing practical joke for one.

I think the main problem after we've got the whole freezing thing sorted would be keeping the brain alright. I mean, it's never good if you revive someone, and his personality and memories have (metaphorically) leaked out of his ears.
Hmm. Perhaps it'd be easier to chuck these people on relatavistic ship things on stupidly long journeys. Get them winging by the Earth's neighbourhood ever century or so, it'll be fiiiiine.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Castor Troy
Jedi Knight

Post by Castor Troy »

Cryonics is a pretty much flawed idea. You have the problem with the body's water expanding because they form ice crystals. However, you could suspend a person in a vat of liquid, with nanomachines repairing the body from age, wear and tear.

If you get really advanced, temporal stasis would be perfect.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Castor Troy wrote:Cryonics is a pretty much flawed idea. You have the problem with the body's water expanding because they form ice crystals. However, you could suspend a person in a vat of liquid, with nanomachines repairing the body from age, wear and tear.

Cryonics works in other animals, there's nothing saying it can't work for humans. The problem of expanding ice crystals when exposed to crygenic fluid can be rectified with the use of proteomics. Of course, the nanomachine idea is folly, there's no way you can have those things nurse every cell in the body effectively and temporal stasis is a fantasy, so freezing it is.
Castor Troy
Jedi Knight

Post by Castor Troy »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:Cryonics is a pretty much flawed idea. You have the problem with the body's water expanding because they form ice crystals. However, you could suspend a person in a vat of liquid, with nanomachines repairing the body from age, wear and tear.

Cryonics works in other animals, there's nothing saying it can't work for humans. The problem of expanding ice crystals when exposed to crygenic fluid can be rectified with the use of proteomics. Of course, the nanomachine idea is folly, there's no way you can have those things nurse every cell in the body effectively and temporal stasis is a fantasy, so freezing it is.
You wouldn't mind explaining proteomics, in a nutshell? Because I've never heard of such a method before.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Castor Troy wrote:
You wouldn't mind explaining proteomics, in a nutshell? Because I've never heard of such a method before.
Proteomics is the field dealing with protein engineering.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

All techical issues aside who would fucking care about people from the past that are already dead as far as anyone is concerned? Who is going to pay for it? How would such individuals be reintegrated into society? I mean if they found a frozen person who has been on ice for 70 years would you care about them? I wouldn't.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

TrailerParkJawa wrote:All techical issues aside who would fucking care about people from the past that are already dead as far as anyone is concerned? Who is going to pay for it? How would such individuals be reintegrated into society? I mean if they found a frozen person who has been on ice for 70 years would you care about them? I wouldn't.
One would think the money paying into the bank account keeping them on ice would be a good enough incentive.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but cryonics is a waste of time. It makes far more sense to let people go and keep searching for the cures and treatments that cryonics-proponents think we'll find than to fill rooms with people desperately looking for another ten, twenty, maybe thirty years of life somewhere down the road when everything they know is gone. Can you imagine the kind of emotional fun involved in being awakened, cured, and released with nowhere to go, nothing to do, and nobody you know still alive?
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Nephtys wrote:They are working on various compounds that would prevent the freezing process, since frogs have shown that cells with a high concentration of glucose are not harmed by freezing, and glycerol is a possiblity for human cryonics. But of course applying it to a whole body evenly is quite a problem still.. so yeah, one big part is working with the crystalization issue still.
But aren't there already people who got their corpses frozen? I think I saw that on TV.

So...what happens to them...?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Nephtys wrote:They are working on various compounds that would prevent the freezing process, since frogs have shown that cells with a high concentration of glucose are not harmed by freezing, and glycerol is a possiblity for human cryonics. But of course applying it to a whole body evenly is quite a problem still.. so yeah, one big part is working with the crystalization issue still.
But aren't there already people who got their corpses frozen? I think I saw that on TV.

So...what happens to them...?
They are hoping that we'll find a way to undo whatever killed them and fix the damage that the freezing and thawing process will do to their corpsicle.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Post by Enola Straight »

Infuse the cryonaut with natural antifreeze from the blood of arctic/antarctic marine species?
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
TrailerParkJawa wrote:All techical issues aside who would fucking care about people from the past that are already dead as far as anyone is concerned? Who is going to pay for it? How would such individuals be reintegrated into society? I mean if they found a frozen person who has been on ice for 70 years would you care about them? I wouldn't.
One would think the money paying into the bank account keeping them on ice would be a good enough incentive.
Where is this money coming from after the people paying for it have died themselves? What happens to the human-pops once the company goes bankrupt because its poorly run?

I'm sure there are plenty of people who will pay for this, but after a few decades I believe most of the income for any paticular frozen individual will dry up.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

TrailerParkJawa wrote:
Where is this money coming from after the people paying for it have died themselves? What happens to the human-pops once the company goes bankrupt because its poorly run?

I'm sure there are plenty of people who will pay for this, but after a few decades I believe most of the income for any paticular frozen individual will dry up.
That depends in the agreement. The money could be half now, half on thawing, even if inflation makes the sum somewhat inaccurate next to what it was supposed to be, it could be estimated somewhat. Besides, there's the technical aspect of this for R&D. You don't just throw them out with the rubbish.