Revelations on NBC tonight -- will it never end?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Tommy J
Jedi Master

Revelations on NBC tonight -- will it never end?

Post by Tommy J »

Tonight on NBC is the new mini series 'Revelations.' I suppose if I was an NBC programming executive based on the currently our religiously focused society we live in, it's a smart ratings move.

It's just damn, I've had enough. A series based on science versus religion in which undoubtly religion will win. You'll note in the program description the "Harvard Astrophysicist" is caught into this bullshit with regard to the book of revelation. :roll:
HOUR 1 - Series Premiere
9pm 2005-04-13 ALL NEW!
COULD THE END OF DAYS BE NEAR? -- From executive producer Gavin Polone ("Panic Room") and writer/creator David Seltzer ("The Omen") comes "Revelations," a six-hour event series starring Bill Pullman ("Independence Day") as Harvard professor Dr. Richard Massey, an astrophysicist who is certain that all worldly events can be explained by Science. In the series premiere, Dr. Massey is dealing with the tragic murder of his 12-year-old daughter by a maniacal murderer, Isaiah Haden (Michael Massee, "24"), who was captured and imprisoned. After a strange course of events, Massey is challenged by a nun, Sister Josepha Montafiore (Natascha McElhone, "Solaris"), who leads him on a journey through the unfamiliar world of faith. Drawn together by personal tragedy, these unlikely partners -- one who worships God and one who worships Science -- are propelled into a deepening mystery, finding evidence that the world, as predicted by The Book of Revelation, has reached The End of Days. Also starring, Chelsey and Brittney Coyle, Tobin Bell and John Rhys-Davies. TV-14
Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

The last piece of the audience pie that network TV can grasp is the rural poor who either don't have access to cable or can't afford it.

And ta-da, religious themes sell well with them.

*shrugs*
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I really don't understand this 'end days' mindset. Is it a symptom of a time when things are good?

I just don't get it. Did the generation who encountered WW2's atrocities think the world was coming to an end? As this mindset been around for centuries?
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

[Edit] I did a frigidmagi: 'as' should be 'has'.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

oh, this piece of shit again. it's amazing how shows like these usually manage to portray scientifically minded individuals as being completely ignorant of things like faith, religion, etc.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Tommy J
Jedi Master

Post by Tommy J »

Darth_Zod wrote:oh, this piece of shit again. it's amazing how shows like these usually manage to portray scientifically minded individuals as being completely ignorant of things like faith, religion, etc.
I love how they say, "all wordly events [by the scientist] can be explained by science," only later to say in the program description, "...leads him in the unfamilar world of faith." As if 'faith' explains the weather patterns. :roll:

Hello, wordly events can be explained by science.
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

The only way I'll watch is if Pullman, at some point, looks directly into the camera and says:

"We're not just doing this for money . . . we're doing it for a shitload-a-money!"

Having a sidekick named Barf would also work.
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

If done correctly I'd watch. I'm an atheist, but I love movies/shows based on Christian mythology: like the various Exorcist, or Nine Gates, Devil's Advocate, Constantine, etc, etc.

If it's a Christian faith based movie: ie moral = science doesn't have all the answers, then I'll avoid it.

It looks like the later. I'm not really complaining. I don't watch that much TV anyway so not watching this one is hardly a bother.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Oooh, it's good to see that John Rhys-Davies' film career is still in the shitter since he finished with his role in the LOTR franchise.

First some craptacular film about monster that only exists in the drug-induced hallucinations of poor Latin American famers. Now some craptacular film about the Roman prison-induced hallucinations of some dead Greek guy.

And yes. Yet more proof that time travel actually exists and I somehow pissed off someone enough to have them send me back to the farkin' Dark Ages.

Liberal bias in the media my ass. Again, we have yet another major media outlet doing the :wanker: over faith and how faith must trump over Evil Science in the end.

<-- Mildly annoyed.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

One who worships Science? Right. It's the science with a capital S, which makes it so much different than science.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

Wow... your country isn't kidding when it says itsm religous is it? How about you all come over here and we give you Blair?
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Considering how many fundies think the world will end in their lifetimes and that the Book of Revelations should be taken literally its a good move on NBC's part. Just once it would be nice to see a movie like this where the science guy debunks the religious angle. That would be brave no?

Also for those fundies thinking the end is coming, considering that the BoR says only 144,000 are going to be saved why be so anxious for it to end? YOu want to see your children burn?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Stofsk wrote:I really don't understand this 'end days' mindset. Is it a symptom of a time when things are good?

I just don't get it. Did the generation who encountered WW2's atrocities think the world was coming to an end? [Has] this mindset been around for centuries?
Many of the early christians believed that Jesus would return in a few years or so. The end always was, and always will be near...
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I'm just waiting to hear what my Mom thinks of this, good Christian that she is. "Touched by an Angel" and "Joan of Arcadia" are two of her favorites which she tried to get me to start watching. I'll let ya'll know when she calls me about Revelations.

On a side note: I wonder how many Christians have actually read the Book of Revelations all the way thru?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Tommy J
Jedi Master

Post by Tommy J »

Growing up as a Catholic I never muddled through these. I googled it and it's interesting to read about the 7-Seals being opened. Now as an Atheist it's kind of funny, especially the part how the sky is going to 'roll up.'

As an adult and an atheist reading through these, I understand better why EVERY generation believes that the end if coming. If you read the below about 1,000 historical events from the time of Jesus until yesterday could be re-interpreted into the below.

The writers of the bible really knew what they were doing to keep people afraid, faithful, and THEIR servants. :twisted:

THE SEVEN SEALS
The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

When the first seal is broken, the Book of Revelations shows that Jesus Christ (sent by the Word) is able to make His appearance among men and to ride His white horse -- a steed called 'Integrity' -- across the earth. With His arm in full swing, He brings a sword, not peace to the planet, and victoriously cuts a path of righteousness wherever He goes. See Rev. 6:1

When the second seal is broken, the Gospel calls out once again, and this time it brings a red horse whose rider wields a huge sword that takes away peace from the earth and sets people killing each other. As this rider guides his red steed across the planet, war and violence rise to a fever pitch all across the globe. See Rev. 6:3

When the third seal is broken, the black horse of commerce appears. Toil and labor and greed consume the nations in the wake of its hoofbeats. Confronting one another, the red horse of war and the black horse of commerce battle for supremacy over the earth, setting the stage for the fourth horseman of the apocalypse to make his appearance. See Rev. 6:5

When the fourth seal is broken, a deathly pale horse whose rider is called plague appears, and Hades follows at his heels. A fourth of the earth, the Bible says, will be destroyed in the famine brought by Plague and Hades. The Black plagues of Europe, the Irish Potatoe famine, Syphillus, Gonorreah, Tuberculosis, AIDS and Ebola all had their conception in the silent hoofbeats of this fourth spiritual equestrian. And there is much more to come from this last rider of the Apocalypse and from the companion who follows at his heels. See Rev. 6:7

When the Lamb of God broke the fifth seal, John, in his vision, saw underneath the altar the souls of all the people who had been killed on account of the word of God, for witnessing to it. The angel told John that all these terrible things were happening for judgment and that patience was needed because God intended to carry out His entire secret plan to a pre-determined end. See Rev. 6:9

When the sixth seal is broken, there will be a violent earthquake and the sun will go as black as sackcloth; the moon turn red as blood, and the stars of the sky will fall onto the earth like figs dropping from a tree in a high wind. The sky itself will disappear like a scroll being rolled up and all the mountains and islands will be shaken from their places.

The seventh seal cannot be broken until all the lost children of God have been located and baptised into the safety of heaven. As the end approaches and plagues and troubles mount, the people of God -- those who have been sealed in water with the sign of the cross on their foreheads -- will be bypassed by these angels of death. Those with the mark of the beast, however, will be confronted by Hades, and fall under the wrath of the judgment God has sent against them.

The four angels whose duty it is to devastate land and sea and poison the waters with wormwood, have instructions by God to wait until the seal has been placed on the foreheads of God's people and and all His servants before they carry out the worst of their damage.

When the Lamb breaks the seventh seal, there will be silence in heaven for about half an hour. On earth, however, no such silence will occur. The silence in heaven translates on earth to the rise to power of the beast.

Victorious over the forces of God on earth, the beast will go from victory to victory as heaven appears to be silent and not to care about the Church's devastation -- all the terror that is destined to follow the final trumpet. See Rev. 8:1
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Stravo wrote:Also for those fundies thinking the end is coming, considering that the BoR says only 144,000 are going to be saved why be so anxious for it to end? YOu want to see your children burn?
Well, obviously they're children are going to be saved. It's just the OTHER people that are going to burn.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

I'm an atheist, but I love movies/shows based on Christian mythology: like the various Exorcist, or Nine Gates, Devil's Advocate, Constantine, etc, etc.
My favorite is The Ten Commandements, God makes an intimidating villain! 8)
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

It won't be the christian appocalypse until I see some fucking Locust/Scorpion Men!

You can't have an appocalypse without the Locust/Scorpion Men!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

neoolong wrote:
Stravo wrote:Also for those fundies thinking the end is coming, considering that the BoR says only 144,000 are going to be saved why be so anxious for it to end? YOu want to see your children burn?
Well, obviously they're children are going to be saved. It's just the OTHER people that are going to burn.
144,000 out of 6 billion is an awful lot of people that are going to burn. If you think about it he's going to simply let the devil waltz into this world, fuck humanity up the ass and send us all to hell without lifting a finger to stop it. What does the time of the devil's reign accomplish?

According to the BoR the 144,000 will be saved ahead of time and they will vanish from the Earth so the rest is just God watching hus creations be mutilated and tortured. We call that homicidal and psychotic. Fundies call it the Rapture and a gift from a 'loving' God.

No matter how good you are afterwords and what you do, you're going to burn so what the fuck is the point exactly? Hell if I know.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

They would also get 5 stars if, the first time Pullman meets Natascha, he opines 'That's just what we need, a Druish Princess.'
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

Stravo wrote: 144,000 out of 6 billion is an awful lot of people that are going to burn.
One wonders why he didn't create a slave-race with a higher 'success-rate' than that? Of all of the Scifi that deals with humanity creating life and treating it irresponsibly, god seems to be the prime culprit instead of us.
Korvan
Jedi Master

Post by Korvan »

I just wonder what the need for a seventh seal is at all. The breaking of the sixth has the stars falling to earth. Well, it'd take at least 4 years for the first one to hit but that would pretty much be the end of the Earth. Not much left for the Beast to take over.
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

End of Days being near is one of the ways fundies get bread-and-butter Christians more and more fanatic. "Ohmigod itsalmostover whatifimnotgoodenough ohmigod praypraypray!!!" They also seem to think it's useful on atheists and believers in other religions.
"Guys, don't do that"
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Stravo wrote:If you think about it he's going to simply let the devil waltz into this world, fuck humanity up the ass and send us all to hell without lifting a finger to stop it.
Think that's bad? I once ran into a calvinist (who claimed to be a prophet too) who claimed that according to Calvinism, God predestines most people to hell before they're born, and he makes sinners sin simply so that he can demonstrate his awesome power to the faithful. No standard of morality is expected from god in these people's minds. You just worship him because he's powerful.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

NecronLord wrote:Think that's bad? I once ran into a calvinist (who claimed to be a prophet too) who claimed that according to Calvinism, God predestines most people to hell before they're born, and he makes sinners sin simply so that he can demonstrate his awesome power to the faithful. No standard of morality is expected from god in these people's minds. You just worship him because he's powerful.
Makes you wonder if they even comprehend the notion of morality as we think of it. That's why I like the Norse gods. They know they're fucked, they even know how they are going to die, but they fight anyway, because what's right is right.
"Guys, don't do that"