Worst movie decisions of all time?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Worst movie decisions of all time?

Post by irishmick79 »

I'm talking about the kind of decisions that characters in movies make that reveal such a faulty thought process it makes you cringe.

My vote is for Queen Amidala in Ep II leaving Jar Jar Binks to take care of things on Coruscant. Worst political decision of ALL TIME.

Dishonerable Mention goes to Captain Marko Ramius from "The Hunt for Red October." Ignoring the absurdity of a russian sub as noisy as an alfa class sneaking in so close to Red October and a US frigate that it could get off a torpedo shot at Red October without it arming properly, Ramius's decision to turn the Red October into the torpedo's path with a rookie driver at the wheel is just insane. The fact that he gets away with it is even worse.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Re: Worst movie decisions of all time?

Post by Crayz9000 »

irishmick79 wrote:I'm talking about the kind of decisions that characters in movies make that reveal such a faulty thought process it makes you cringe.

My vote is for Queen Amidala in Ep II leaving Jar Jar Binks to take care of things on Coruscant. Worst political decision of ALL TIME.
Certainly.
Dishonerable Mention goes to Captain Marko Ramius from "The Hunt for Red October." Ignoring the absurdity of a russian sub as noisy as an alfa class sneaking in so close to Red October and a US frigate that it could get off a torpedo shot at Red October without it arming properly, Ramius's decision to turn the Red October into the torpedo's path with a rookie driver at the wheel is just insane. The fact that he gets away with it is even worse.
That situation struck me as somewhat plausible. It's either close the range to the torpedo before it can arm, or get sunk.

However, they only successfully used that tactic once in the book, and it wasn't entirely successful, IIRC. The torpedo blew a hole in the bow, although the Red October's massive battery banks prevented it from sinking.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Another way of putting the turn the sub towards the torp might have been to turn it around and say
Well would anything else help?
Turn away and expose your screw and waste tunnels to the torp increasing the chance of critical damage
Turn sideways and umm, that does not help
Or turn strait in and rush it hope you can get it before it arms and if not RAM the sonzabitch who shot it after you and bring some company with you into the after-life

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

As for worst movie thing

Hmm
While Jar Jar in command was not to bright, a worse one was to try and Gas the Jedi :D in TPM

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

This prestigious award would have to go to Captain Needa, for apologizing to Darth Vader.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

How about in "Aliens" when the Lt disarmes his men, and still has them proceed deeper into the nest area.

There was also the unforgivable mistake of leaving the dropship unguarded on hostile ground with its main door wide open. If the pilot had simply shut the damn door, half the team would have been saved. Talk about bad force protection.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: Worst movie decisions of all time?

Post by Eleas »

Generations, for ceasing fire after the first phaser blast! They could have destroyed the BOP with a few more, but NOOOO....
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

I can sum it up easily.

'Evacuate? In our moment of triumph?'
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Needa
Youngling

Post by Needa »

:evil: :evil: What? You doubt about Needa's intelligence Durandal? Joke.

Seriously, Needa was a hero, he spared the life of his men by going himself make the apology to Vader. He knew what would result of this action, but despite that he chose to do it. It's a hero!

I think the award should go to the Emperor at Endor, who used a a more dramatic tactic instead of lauching the capital ships right away in the battle.
Before you, pitiful trolls, invade this forum take note that:
Mr. Bean will not fear using his irony agaisnt you.
Sir Nitram will burn your idiotic arguments.
Grand Admiral Thrawn will generously dismember your illogical thoughts.
Master of Ossus will bash your stupidity.

And if you are still alive, DARTH WONG WILL CRUSH WHAT'S LEFT. You have been warned.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

SirNitram wrote:I can sum it up easily.

'Evacuate? In our moment of triumph?'
I think that's about up there with "these bugs hit us so we are going to go straight for their capital world despite having no tue logistical train and land forces with no real air support then wait for victory" in ST.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Titanic nuff said.
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

I think the Ramius decisionwas wrong 1.) because he had no crew, and with a sub as big as Red October he probably could have afforded to take a torpedo hit and 2.) he had a rookie driver and no crew. The second one is probably most important because the maneuver Ramius ordered required split second timing and probably a good touch at the wheel. The book makes it clear that Jack Ryan driving the boat did not have either attribute.

Personally, I would have dropped decoys like mad, and camped out right underneath the US frigate floating around on the surface. If the Alfa decided to fire on me there, I would be close enough to the frigate where a reasonably aggressive US captain would have quickly drawn the conclusion he was being fired upon and respond accordingly. Definitely better than trying to play chicken with all that expensive hardware which happens to be my ticket into the US.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Depending on how the timeline in Star Trek runs, I'd say STFC where the Borg queen gets to Earth, loses the cube, then time travels back, when she could have easily just timetraveled back, then traveled to Earth. Unless, of course, the multiple timeline thing is accurate.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Martin Blank
Redshirt

Post by Martin Blank »

irishmick79 wrote:I think the Ramius decisionwas wrong 1.) because he had no crew, and with a sub as big as Red October he probably could have afforded to take a torpedo hit and 2.) he had a rookie driver and no crew. The second one is probably most important because the maneuver Ramius ordered required split second timing and probably a good touch at the wheel. The book makes it clear that Jack Ryan driving the boat did not have either attribute.
IIRC, Ramius had spent his career in attack subs. This led him to think as an agressor, rather than take the traditional boomer role and simply hide. He treated the Red October as a giant attack boat, rather than a boomer with defensive weapons.

Ramius, however, knew the boat, what it could do, and how to direct the crew. This was demonstrated when he sent the Red October through the undersea canyon. Ryan may not have been an ideal candidate to have at the helm, but he didn't have much choice. Though I think Mancuso probably could have done better from a technical sense, Mancuso also had his own mindset about things, and Ramius wasn't about to ask a fellow submarine commander to take such a subservient role. In the movie Ramius's gamble paid off, whereas in the book he lost a little. I seem to recall that in the book he also ended up ramming the torpedo's launch sub, rolling it over and sinking it.

Finally, he couldn't afford a hole in his boat because he had no crew. No crew means no damage control, and no damage control means a quick trip to the bottom.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.
OOM94539
Redshirt

Post by OOM94539 »

REIGN OF FIRE
'Everyone take your positions!'
*Everyone gets out and bunches up together.
*Flamethrower wielding dragon comes over and frys everyone in one pass.
=
Return of the Jedi
The Emperor's decisions at Endor. Like Mike Wong said on his site, it resulted in 'one of the most improbable victories in sci-fi history'.
=
Starship Troopers
Lets all circle around this one bug so our friendly fire can kill each other off. And yes, lets throw knives at our recruits hands.
=
Saving Private Ryan
Lets risk the lives of 8 men so mamma Ryan can be happy. It's not like any of those people have mothers.
=
And that's all I can think of for now.

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I think Signs will give us the dumbest decision of all time...why live near a cornfield?

I mean after Children of the Corn and Field of Dreams I certainly wouldn't live near a cornfield...especially after field of dreams..."you mean there's a bunch of dead baseball players in my field? BURN IT."
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
OOM94539
Redshirt

Post by OOM94539 »

The stupidist, most abundant idiotic decision in movies is when the villain captures the hero only to:
a)gloat
b)reveal his master plan
c)convert them to his side
d)give them the chance to die an 'honorable' death where they stand a chance at winning
e)do something other than kill them

David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

The Austin Powers movies poked alot of fun at this.
Akm72
Padawan Learner

Post by Akm72 »

The Emperor's decisions at Endor. Like Mike Wong said on his site, it resulted in 'one of the most improbable victories in sci-fi history'.
The really bad decision which caused the upset at Endor wasn't Palpatines - and it wasn't even the one usually mentioned (opening the doors to the base to send out some reserves). No, the REALLY bad decision was to hold the rebel prisoners OUTSIDE the door, were the Ewoks could rescue them! Don't they have a prison block in the Imperial base? Or even an empty storeroom they could guard them in? Hell, they could've just executed them on the spot instead of holding them prisoner. Without the rebel strike team, the Ewoks are no threat to the base.
"Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, "Yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!" If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it."
- Dan Barker
Shortie
Jedi Knight

Post by Shortie »

Akm72 wrote:
The really bad decision which caused the upset at Endor wasn't Palpatines - and it wasn't even the one usually mentioned (opening the doors to the base to send out some reserves). No, the REALLY bad decision was to hold the rebel prisoners OUTSIDE the door, were the Ewoks could rescue them! Don't they have a prison block in the Imperial base? Or even an empty storeroom they could guard them in? Hell, they could've just executed them on the spot instead of holding them prisoner. Without the rebel strike team, the Ewoks are no threat to the base.
To be fair it was a generator station rather than a conventional base, and they had no idea the Ewoks were out there. No, I blame it on the Emperor for trying to muck about (again). If he'd just told them there was gonna be an attack and left them alone, they could have just set up some proper defences and never been in danger. They couldn't have executed them, didn't he want them alive?
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Not the commandos. He had no interest in a bunch of nameless guys.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

USAF Ace wrote:How about in "Aliens" when the Lt disarmes his men, and still has them proceed deeper into the nest area.

There was also the unforgivable mistake of leaving the dropship unguarded on hostile ground with its main door wide open. If the pilot had simply shut the damn door, half the team would have been saved. Talk about bad force protection.

According to the film, the lieutenant did not want to risk a stray shot to damage the cooling units of the fusion reactor.

The dropship was on the ground to allow one of the crew to get a piss.
Last edited by paladin on 2002-07-22 11:49am, edited 1 time in total.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

OOM94539 wrote:The stupidist, most abundant idiotic decision in movies is when the villain captures the hero only to:
a)gloat
b)reveal his master plan
c)convert them to his side
d)give them the chance to die an 'honorable' death where they stand a chance at winning
e)do something other than kill them
It's union rules that require them to do it. :(
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

paladin wrote:
According to the film, the lieutenant did not want to risk a stray shot to damage the cooling units of the fusion reactor.

The dropship was on the ground to allow one of the crew to get a piss.
Then the Lt should have brough his men back, and rearmed them with more appropiate hardware, not have them progress unarmed.

The dropship was on the ground so the other crewmen could bring supplies to bishop. The mistake is still inexcusable.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

Those "elite" space marines must (and did) have had shitty discipline if their commander thought it necessary to completely disarm them instead of just ordering them not to fire. I mean, any decent army in the world has severe punishments for a "negligent discharge," so troops must have been trained that way. Except the ones in "Aliens," of course. Insulting their officers, all the screaming and posturing, they have shitty garrison discipline and shitty fire discipline.