"creation science" museum?????

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

CNS Sarajevo
Youngling

"creation science" museum?????

Post by CNS Sarajevo »

They just had a 5-10 minute short on KUSI's morning news on the Museum of Creation & Earth History in San Diego. Well, I guess it's America and they're allowed to have their place advertised in the news.

http://www.icr.org/, http://www.icr.org/museum/
I love the smell of BDZ in the morning.

"If the battle cannot be won without me, then I will be brought on deck."
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

For those of you who would like to visit a real museum, I would recomend the Smithsonian Institution National Museum of Natural History in D.C. and the American Museum of Natural History in NYC. I have been to both and found them to be awe inspiring.
Last edited by Wicked Pilot on 2002-08-30 12:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Couldn't.. resist..

"The purpose of this pamphlet is to summarize the evidence that shows that: "The creation model is at least as scientific as the evolution model, and is at least as nonreligious as the evolution model." - 1981 Gish, Bliss, Bird"

"But far from refuting creation, the scientific evidence is completely consistent with creation! - 2002 Dewitt"

[taken from the museum FAQ]
I'm converted. No arguing this arguments

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

And the moron wagon trundles on, unhindered by that pesky thing known as logic.
Evil Horseman, ready to torment the damned!

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I recall reading a synopsis of what's in the house of horrors somewhere on talk.origins's archive page. Apparently it's funny in a way that only two monkey pissing on Jerry Falwell can match.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Raziel
Youngling

Post by Raziel »

How quaint. The Christians are trying to undo millions of years of evolution.

It seems to me that fundie morons below the 49th are increasing in both numbers and influence, eager to push their fairy-tales at the rest of us in a sugar-coating of truth. I'm just waiting for an American president to be declared Holy Emperor.

Make your plans to move north BEFORE the shit flies.
"If a cluttered desk signifies a cluttered mind, then of what does a clean desk signifiy?"
Albert Einstein
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

More appropriately, be ready here up north to vote the shit out of anything that even smells of supporting creationism.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Raziel
Youngling

Post by Raziel »

That too.

My ballot pencil-hand is itching.
"If a cluttered desk signifies a cluttered mind, then of what does a clean desk signifiy?"
Albert Einstein
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

If things go really though then you're all welcome in Europe

where a wooping 4%of the population attends church
where Presidents can be proud to be atheists
where schools laugh at the face of some eventual fundie
where Ashcroft is thousands of Km away 8)
Raziel
Youngling

Post by Raziel »

Colonel Olrik wrote:If things go really though then you're all welcome in Europe

No freakin' wonder Europe is undercutting the US economically; the population is so much smarter!
Albert Einstein
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Raziel wrote: No freakin' wonder Europe is undercutting the US economically; the population is so much smarter!
Shhh! that's supposed to be a secret!
Raziel
Youngling

Post by Raziel »

:D

Not up here it ain't. We aren't caught up in our 'superiority'.
Albert Einstein
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Colonel Olrik wrote: If things go really though then you're all welcome in Europe

Can I stay at your house? :D
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Mr. B wrote: Can I stay at your house? :D
Sure! You'll just have to find it. I'll narrow the search: It's in Lisbon.
The city only has 2.000.000 inhabitants, so there should be no problem. Just use one of yours long range big screen spying sats. I'll be the guy waving at the window
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Last time I checked, Americans made more than the average European family, but who cares, as long as these Fundie wackos stay uninfluential in politics, America will stay out of the Dark Ages. And these Fundies are so ungrateful. If it wasn't for America, the'd be laughed out fo exisatance.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Raziel
Youngling

Post by Raziel »

Is that net or gross pay? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that European taxes are higher in order to support such things as public health care and publicly subsidised post-secondary tuition.
Albert Einstein
Uther
Padawan Learner

Post by Uther »

It's untrue that 4% of Europeans attend church, it's much higher than that. Especially for the Irish :wink:

But even in the most non-religious of the European states, church attendance is higher than 4%, and the number believing in a 'God' or other supernatural force is higher still.
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

I don't have a clue about how high taxes in the States are. In Europe they usually reach about 40% of the incom in the last scalon (people who receive more have to pay more taxes).

And Irish are weird :)
But you're right about the number of people actuallybelieving in God, of course.
Uther
Padawan Learner

Post by Uther »

And in terms of per capita, the US is very high, though not the highest (Switzerland is about 3K higher, for example) though it's still about 10-13K higher than Germany or England.

US GDP is also quite strong (http://www.conference-board.org/search/ ... essid=4689).

As to religiosity in the USA: far more religious than Europe, certainly, although not a backwards theocracy either. Here in southern California, most people do go to church and are fairly religious, but there's also a mix of more fervent believers and atheists, agnostics. A good blend of viewpoints, IMHO.

Maybe it's crazy in the South, but not having lived there, the periodic newspaper story about a whacko fundie nonwithstanding, I'm not really in a position to say.
Last edited by Uther on 2002-08-30 05:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Uther wrote:
As to religiosity in the USA: far more religious than Europe, certainly, although not a backwards theocracy either. Here in southern California, most people do go to church and are fairly religious, but there's also a mix of more fervent believers and atheists, agnostics. A good blend of viewpoints, IMHO.

Maybe it's crazy in the South, but not having lived there, the periodic newspaper story about a whacko fundie nonwithstanding, I'm not really in a position to say.
Oh, the South is nuts alright. I've had one too many road trips through Georgia and South Carolina. It was my mistake to have a atheist bumpersticker on my car. Weird stares all around.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Raziel
Youngling

Post by Raziel »

Geez, cruising through those states with a sticker like that, I'm surprised that they didn't have themselves a good 'ol country hangin'. :wink:
Albert Einstein
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

They don't call it the Bible belt for nothing

I've been to peoples house where bringing the Bible to the table and reading it was ok and typicaly the whole family did at the same time(Little werid for me six people five of which are crammend into Bibles I almost felt left out but then I saw all of them reading the New Testmet Chapters and I though, Aaah I see another 1/2 Christian Familiys(They ignore everything but Moses/Ten Commandments and Gensis in the Old Testmate)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

God, deliver me from your followers...

Seriously, these people bug me and it's because they can't accept other peoples' right to an opposing view. Worse, they know they can't proselytize to thinking adults very well so the emphasis is on sneaking their "message" into schools with trojan horses like "creation science." (Incidently, the latest code word for the Book of Genesis taught as being equivalent to the scientific theory of evolution is "Intelligent Design." Watch for it to crop up at a PTA meeting near you.) That scares me less than the efforts to re-write US history and portray the founding fathers as pious bible-thumpers who have been "misrepresented" to favor seperation of church and state. THAT effort has been very successful.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Colonel Olrik wrote:"The purpose of this pamphlet is to summarize the evidence that shows that: "The creation model is at least as scientific as the evolution model, and is at least as nonreligious as the evolution model." - 1981 Gish, Bliss, Bird"
Nonreligious?? Hmmm... actually, creationist not only come from Judeo-Christian religions, but there's atheistic creationists too. Their version of Genesis, however, sounds like the plot of an episode of Star Trek. (which perhaps says something about the scientific credibility of creatonism....)

(Just look at the Raëlian Movement as an example - they even warn outsiders about mistaking their doctrines for science-fiction!)
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

We should have a feild trip to this "mueseum" and point out all the stupid creationist nonsense. I'd like to see them kick us out, probably make national news. But we would become more of those christian haters and add to the oppressed christian sect.

Legalize It!