Have you ever seen a UFO?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Have you ever seen a UFO?

Post by Iroscato »

This has most likely been asked before on this board, but I'd like to create a new discussion on it.

Have you ever seen what you suspect to be an extraterrestrial event? Something as simple as a few lights in the sky, but it can cover full-on contact and/or probing :twisted: . When did it happen, at night or during the day? What was your reaction? How did it affect your life, and to what degree of severity? Did it change your opinions on such matters?

Personally I haven't really seen anything strange or unexplainable so far, though my dad and my uncle have both separately seen lights in the sky. My dad saw two lights approach each other near the horizon, then spin around each other extremely fast, then fly off together out of sight. My uncle (fairly recently) saw about 6 orange lights, again moving extremely fast, zoom across the sky.

So, please share your experiences...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: Have you ever seen a UFO?

Post by Flagg »

Nothing that couldn't easily be explained.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Well, I saw something that I couldn't explain at the time. Specifically, several lights in a V-shaped array in the sky around dawn near Phoenix, Arizona. It was clearly something artificial, but not any type of flying machine I was familiar with at the time.

Some years later I learned it was an experimental vehicle, which I sort of suspected all along. If I see something weird in the sky I'm more inclined to think "secret government project" than "aliens".
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

You know, I think with all the 'Nutters' out there, the term does get more than a bad rap. I'll admit I HAVE seen things I would classify as "Unknown"

Now, I don't think I saw a spaceship, or secret government space thing.. I just wasn't sure WHAT I did see. I think the most bizarre thing I saw was either Ball lightning (it was a stormy day) Or some sort of flares (at the time I lived near a national guard testing range)
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I didn't know it was a dc10 at the time so UFO....
The Xeelee
Padawan Learner

Post by The Xeelee »

Yes, I have seen a UFO. But I don't belueve it to be aliens.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Neil deGrasse Tyson has an interesting bit about this from a seminar in "Cosmic Quandaries." He points out that even the term "UFO" is we humans pushing our ignorance onto the item in question, as if it's some sort of defining characteristic that Joe Skywatcher can't figure out what something is. The lack of identification is entirely in Joe's head, and nothing to do with the object or entity in question.

He compares it to so-called "optical illusions", which are really, if we want to be accurate, "brain failures." They're lines on a page, pixels on a monitor, etc. There's nothing illusory about them. The "illusion" is in our visual cortices' inability to process them consistently or coherently, but we push that cognitive failure onto the image, like it's the image's fault we can't figure it out.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

None that didn't turn out, with a bit of time and a different angle, to be a plane, dirigible or spotlight.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I recall seeing ball lightening as a child, but nothing beyond that.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

I once saw a couple of strange, round orange lights moving over my neighborhood once--not paper lanterns as they were too fast and straight, and their light too constant. Didn't seem like any planes I've seen.

I didn't immediately go 'OMGWFTALIENS', but it did weird me out at the time. Can't really think what they were, so that's unidentified enough for me. Light aircraft maybe?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I have seen some unidentified flying vehicles above El Mirage lakebed, which is near Edwards AFB.

When I visited Skunk Works in Palmdale they said they would show us the aliens and spaceships, but we never got around to it.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I remember once seeing a weird circle of spotlights being projected against the clouds one night, never could figure out what they were. I was about eight years old at the time so I did think "aliens", but with the benefit of an adult's hindsight I expect it was probably a rave or something.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

I once saw something in the sky I could not identify. It zipped into view, was stationary for maybe three seconds, then appeared to zoom off into the atmosphere. For all I know it was a reflection on my glasses or a spotlight though, so I'm not even sure it was an object, let alone an alien one.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I've seen plenty of planes flying at night, satellites, shooting stars, weird clouds. Even seen two B-1s flying in formation at high altitude. Never seen a UFO. Unidentified aircraft, sure. But nothing mysterious in the sky.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I once saw a silver saucer (from a hilltop away from it) with a series of lights around the rim over the city and slowly descending, but then realized, as it got a little closer, that it was just a passenger jet that was coming in to land. For a good 15 seconds it was a totally legitimate UFO though, given how my perspective made it look (at night, of course) like a little saucer instead of a big long plane. If they line up just right and you're far enough away, it can be a momentary shock, especially if you want to see one.
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

Few years ago during summer night I saw a bright light flying low over the sea near the horizon that I and other people couldn't explain at that moment. Next day I heard on the radio a boat in that area was blown out to sea and a SAR chopper was sent to look for it. So the UFO turned out to be a chopper with searchlight that was too far to be heard.
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

I've seen unblinking moving lights in the night sky that I was unable to identify, although if I had to guess I would say "human satellites" rather than "alien spacecraft".

I like to try and keep an eye out for the International Space Station. What's it supposed to look like from the ground?
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Nothing that seriously raised questions in my mind as to what it was; but I have seen airliners blatantly making the donuts on the rope contrails complete idiots claim is proof of secret government pulse detonation engine tests and or 'Aurora'.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

I once saw a light in the sky. It looked like just another star but it was moving. Even more strangely it was slowing down until it became stationary for about a minute before abruptly moving off at a sharp angle compared to it's original heading. At first I thought it was a high flying plane, then a satellite and finally I didn't know what to think.
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Nothing that seriously raised questions in my mind as to what it was; but I have seen airliners blatantly making the donuts on the rope contrails complete idiots claim is proof of secret government pulse detonation engine tests and or 'Aurora'.
The stupid thing is, all of those "donuts" are established holding patterns and their particulars are even published on a regular basis. No matter how often you explain that the dumbshits just won't believe you.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Oh, that's nothing compared to this "chemtrails" bullshit. You think the 9/11 truthers are bad? Well at least their evidence amounts to "Dubya and Co gained a lot by the World Trade Centre attacks". The evidence for these chemtrails, on the other hand, amounts to "someone saw a funny-looking contrail once".
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Broomstick wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:Nothing that seriously raised questions in my mind as to what it was; but I have seen airliners blatantly making the donuts on the rope contrails complete idiots claim is proof of secret government pulse detonation engine tests and or 'Aurora'.
The stupid thing is, all of those "donuts" are established holding patterns and their particulars are even published on a regular basis. No matter how often you explain that the dumbshits just won't believe you.
Could you summarize? I am ignorant of what you mean by "established holding patterns" that might cause a contrail to get puffy 'donut' shapes strung along it.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

One time I saw a silvery, ovoid something floating in the sky. Not too far away, but not close either. It was midday. Also a couple of helicopters were hovering in position some distance away from the object, surrounding it. I stared at it for about a minute before it hovered over and disappeared from view behind a random building. I thought, "Oh it's a UFO," and went back to whatever I was doing. I didn't hear anything about it in the local news or anywhere else afterwards.

I suppose it might've been a blimp, who knows.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
Could you summarize? I am ignorant of what you mean by "established holding patterns" that might cause a contrail to get puffy 'donut' shapes strung along it.
Not having an actual picture of this particular situation I can only guess it's one of two things:

1) Holding pattern - these are circular/teardrop shape paths at designated locations and altitudes near airports. When air traffic control tells someone to hold for landing they'll go into one of those designated patterns and simply circle until told it's their turn to get in line to land.

2) Spacing - because airplanes can't slow down below a certain point, if one airplane is overtaking another they will either do "S-turns" that allow them to maintain their airspeed but make slower progress in regards to their ground track and other traffic, or in some cases actually turn full circles to maintain spacing.

Unless this refers to something else, which it might. But most of the "chemtrail" stuff I've seen is easily explained by published approach procedures.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I think that he's referring to something that would look like this:

-----0-----0-----

So basically little rings surrounding the main contrail.