Pope: Maybe Hookers with AIDS should use condoms

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Pope: Maybe Hookers with AIDS should use condoms

Post by Themightytom »

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/2 ... es/?hpt=T1
Pope Benedict XVI said in comments released Saturday that the use of condoms may be acceptable in some cases to prevent the transmission of AIDS, possibly foreshadowing a shift in the Roman Catholic Church's stance on the issue.

The pontiff, speaking to the author of a book that will be published next week, cited the example of a prostitute.

"There could be single cases that can be justified, for instance when a prostitute uses a condom, and this can be a first step towards a moralization, a first assumption of responsibility, to develop again the awareness of the fact that not all is allowed and that one cannot do everything one wants," Benedict said.

The Vatican newspaper on Saturday released excerpts from the book, "Light of the World: The Pope, the Church, and the Signs of the Times," written by German journalist Peter Seewald and pubilshed by Ignatius Press.

CNN Senior Vatican Analyst John Allen cautioned that Benedict's comments do not rise to the level of official Vatican policy, but show the pontiff has flexibility in the church's opposition to birth control.

Allen said that a portion of the book refers to condom use among male prostitutes.

"I think the point he was trying to make, when somebody is using a condom, not so much to prevent new life, which has always been the Catholic Church's big concern, but to prevent the transmission of disease than it would be OK," Allen told CNN.

Although Benedict did not mention it, his statements indicate he may also find condoms appropriate in the case of heterosexual couples where one of the partners has a sexually transmitted disease, Allen said.

Catholic theologians and a special Vatican commission have previously said that condoms may be acceptable in some cases to prevent AIDS, Allen wrote in a blog Saturday.

The pontiff's comments appear to signal a shift in his thinking about condoms and AIDS.

Speaking about AIDS in 2009, he told journalists during a trip to Africa that "You can't resolve it with the distribution of condoms," the pope told reporters. "On the contrary, it increases the problem."
So... is it ok for the hooker or ok for the John, I would like to point point the intersection of moral valuation here on an X Y Z Axis

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Pope: Maybe Hookers with AIDS should use condoms

Post by Stark »

The best part is that even if this is a shift in policy, its a shift to what EVERYONE ELSE ALREADY KNEW that took place after decades of bullshit killed millions of people.

YAY CHURCH SO GOOD!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Just remember, according to hardcore Catholics it doesn't matter what the Pope says unless he does it officially.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

General Zod wrote:Just remember, according to hardcore Catholics it doesn't matter what the Pope says unless he does it officially.
And many less hardcore Catholic simply ignored the "Never use condoms ever because every sperm is precious" despite the official policy.

All that matters here is that the Pope's word is infallible, so now, magically, it's okay. Somehow. Sometimes. :P

Foot in door? Great. More, please.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Wait wait but I thought condoms did not prevent AIDS at all!

I am confused! Has God made them stop AIDS? They didn't just two days ago...
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

FSTargetDrone wrote:
General Zod wrote:Just remember, according to hardcore Catholics it doesn't matter what the Pope says unless he does it officially.
All that matters here is that the Pope's word is infallible, so now, magically, it's okay. Somehow. Sometimes. :P
The idea that Catholic doctrine holds the Pope's every word to be infallible is a common misconception. According to Catholic doctrine, the Pope is infallible when solemnly proclaiming an interpretation of scripture as dogma. There are only very few instances of which Catholic theologians agree that they were proclaimed under papal infallibility. Examples are the dogma of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, and the dogma of the Assumption of Mary.
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Stark wrote:The best part is that even if this is a shift in policy, its a shift to what EVERYONE ELSE ALREADY KNEW that took place after decades of bullshit killed millions of people.

YAY CHURCH SO GOOD!
Instead of cheering that they are moving in the right direction at all, you complain "what took them so long".

There is no gratitude for small favours anymore.

Considering, that it took them 400+ years to rehabilate Galileo, they're improving. :wink:
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
Soldier of Entropy
Padawan Learner

Post by Soldier of Entropy »

FTeik wrote:Instead of cheering that they are moving in the right direction at all, you complain "what took them so long".

Considering, that it took them 400+ years to rehabilate Galileo, they're improving. :wink:
If a rapist decides to leave his victim alive, I wouldn't applaud his mercy.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

FTeik wrote:
Stark wrote:The best part is that even if this is a shift in policy, its a shift to what EVERYONE ELSE ALREADY KNEW that took place after decades of bullshit killed millions of people.

YAY CHURCH SO GOOD!
Instead of cheering that they are moving in the right direction at all, you complain "what took them so long".

I think that's a bit unfair. The Catholic Church couldn't move too fast and make a mockery of the entire situation with Galileo.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

PeZook wrote:Wait wait but I thought condoms did not prevent AIDS at all!

I am confused! Has God made them stop AIDS? They didn't just two days ago...
The Pope and the Vatican believed (and still believe) that condoms aren't the resolution to the worldwide AIDS pandemic - I've never seen any statement of theirs that implies that condoms don't actually stop the transfer of the virus. I might be wrong about this - and there most definitely are cardinals who believe this - but every time the media have hyped about this, further inspection revealed that the Pope didn't deny that condoms halt the transmission of the virus, but rather he denied that propagation of condoms would provide a solution to the epidemic. In other words, his claims were sociological rather than biological.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Speaking as ex-catholic. I can confirm the argument as being fully sociological. the claim I often heared was that "condoms fail" the assertion that was made was that they provide false protection or a false sense of safty. The 'conclusion' is that because condoms arn't 100% they should not be used at all and abstinence taught as the only alternative.

The thing that always got to me, and I have argued this with catholics before, is that because condoms are not 100% effective, they should not be used at all. I once got a catholic fundi to basically admit to me that he would rather have someone get an STD via unsafe sex then let two people use a condom.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

The argument is broader than what Crossroads suggests. The following argument is written from the point of view of the Church - not mine:

The Church's idea is that the existence and promotion of condoms will promote sexual activity outside of its legitimate context, i.e. marriage. By doing so, it strengthens a social context in which there is a greater amount of sexual activity in general, which will also include a greater amount of transmission of HIV. In other words, for the Church, the answer is abstinence until marriage, because promoting condoms will not reduce actual HIV rates - in order to reduce HIV rates, one must tackle the crux of the issue: the great amount of sexual activity outside of marriage.

From this perspective, it's clear that the current remarks of the Pope on condoms aren't a change in policy at all - the Pope still doesn't believe condoms are a viable means of anticonception or a viable means of combating the AIDS epidemic. He believes that, if one chooses to commit an evil (e.g. choosing to have sex while you have HIV), then it is better to choose the lesser evil of using a condom rather than the greater evil of transmitting the virus to your partner. Condom use remains an evil, but a lesser evil is preferable over a greater evil. The ideal remains abstinence.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Soldier of Entropy wrote:If a rapist decides to leave his victim alive, I wouldn't applaud his mercy.
I think FTeik was being ironic.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I've been exposed to Catholic propaganda education all my life and had every single priest scaremonger us with how condoms aren't effective at contraception not HIV prevention. This continued from elementary school up untill our goddamned pre-marriage course,so forgive me for not realizing that the stance is actually laced with an extra layer of bullshit.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Zed wrote:The Pope and the Vatican believed (and still believe) that condoms aren't the resolution to the worldwide AIDS pandemic - I've never seen any statement of theirs that implies that condoms don't actually stop the transfer of the virus. I might be wrong about this - and there most definitely are cardinals who believe this - but every time the media have hyped about this, further inspection revealed that the Pope didn't deny that condoms halt the transmission of the virus, but rather he denied that propagation of condoms would provide a solution to the epidemic. In other words, his claims were sociological rather than biological.

Don't they tell people that condoms actually have lots of little holes that let sperm/teh AIDZ through so they're useless and against god? They basically created the situation they're now trying to solve, and they expect to look like saints for doing it.

If they'd never been so fixated on the prestige of their dogma and power strucutre, and instead cared about actual human beings, they would never have needed to change their stance.
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

I've never seen the Pope or the Vatican claim that. I'm open to any evidence about it. I'm sure that there are lesser officials (including cardinals) that claim such a thing, though.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

FTeik wrote:Instead of cheering that they are moving in the right direction at all, you complain "what took them so long".

Oh please. All this proves is what we already knew about the church; they have to be dragged kicking and screaming into progressive stances after years of losing stature in the public. This is a cynical, calculated public relations tactic and nothing more; do you think they barter with the public of countries too uneducated and poor to tell them to take their food and medical assistance and shove it like this?

The church is only as moral as your country's police are strong.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Stark wrote:
Don't they tell people that condoms actually have lots of little holes that let sperm/teh AIDZ through so they're useless and against god? They basically created the situation they're now trying to solve, and they expect to look like saints for doing it.

If they'd never been so fixated on the prestige of their dogma and power structure, and instead cared about actual human beings, they would never have needed to change their stance.
I've never heard that stated personally but i could see how someone might decide to release misinformation for the "greater good", once they had decided that

a. No sex before marriage is the ideal
b. Lying is less of a sin than letting someone get an STD

It would then become imperative that the truth not be discovered, not only would it undermine the argument, but it would discredit percieved mroal authority.
They would put enormous energy into discrediting any opposition, covering up evidence that backs up the opposition etc.

Not really out of character for the Church considering the sex abuse scandals.

Except what do they do when the pope starts slipping up... We may in fact see enough back peddling on this to halt the Earth's rotation and trigger the Apocalypse. Metaphorically speaking. Then Jesus would come metaphorically speaking and it would all have been justified From A Certain Point Of View.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Stark wrote:Don't they tell people that condoms actually have lots of little holes that let sperm/teh AIDZ through so they're useless and against god? They basically created the situation they're now trying to solve, and they expect to look like saints for doing it.

If they'd never been so fixated on the prestige of their dogma and power strucutre, and instead cared about actual human beings, they would never have needed to change their stance.
That is exactly the case. As a teen in bible school I can specifically recall more then one "sex ed" session where the speaker went on in length about condoms having "Holes as big as a mountain that HIV can swim through" and that indeed the only thing a condom was good at was preventing pregnancy (which is of course a horrible sin against god) but useless for stopping the spread of STD's.

So basically trying to further shove home the message that any sex ouside of making babies is dangerous and sinful.

Which of course ties in with what Stark said. The church has spent the last 40 years saying "Condoms don't work, so don't use them!" which leads to people having sex anyways and causing vast unwanted pregnacies and spreading STD's. 40 years they seem to be going "Oh well, they actually do prevent STD's but are still evil and sinful"
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

That's interesting, considering that you can verify that latex or polyurethane is water tight (and therefore virus tight, since the virus in question needs a solvent environment) simply by flling a condom with water and observing the outsider surface is dry. I'm not clear why they are bothering with a claim that can easily be verified either by experiment or by noting that the same material that is used in condoms is also used in medical gloves explicitly to prevent a transfer of fluid. If not that, note that the material used to make condoms is also used to make water balloons, and surely they notice that water balloons don't transfer fluid.

Of course, this is directly the Vaticans fault for not punishing cardinals and bishops and other church officials who deliberately spreading misinformation. It matters very little if the Pope has said these things or not, his people (those Cardinals, et cetera) do for him. The Vaticans silence has been deafening, particularly since it would be trivial for them to tell their representatives in the community to cut the crap on misinformation that anyone can verify if they get their hands on a condom and a water faucet.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: That is exactly the case. As a teen in bible school I can specifically recall more then one "sex ed" session where the speaker went on in length about condoms having "Holes as big as a mountain that HIV can swim through" and that indeed the only thing a condom was good at was preventing pregnancy (which is of course a horrible sin against god) but useless for stopping the spread of STD's.
The thing about pores in the latex is the exact same line that was used on me and my classmates and later on me and my wife. Verbatim, by four different priests across a decade. Except the priests also added they don't work against pregnancy, either. And that they lead to abortions and objectivization of women.

If the Pope's actual stance on condoms was that they screw with people's heads rather than that they actually don't work, then his office is doing a shitty job disseminating that stance to the lower clergy who are actually responsible for getting the propaganda information out to the little people.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I knew creating these Magic Bible the Gathering cards would be useful. It even has the relevant quote and person who said that thing Stark is referring to.
One Vatican cardinal, Alfonso Lopez Trujillo. I suppose someone could type the name with condom and then you search the original article where I got the quote from, which from memory was BBC. It was one of the N & P threads once upon a time.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.