Preparing for Peak Oil

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Preparing for Peak Oil

Post by Eulogy »

With all this talk lately about the end of oil and millions of people dying off, why not have a thread dedicated solely for tips and advice for surviving when TSHTF? Or in other words, what are we going to do about Peak Oil?

If you have advice for preparing for Peak Oil, now would be a good time to hear it.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Id be more interested in the cultural/technological remifications, but I definitly want this topic to keep going. I think its going to be The issue for a long time.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

I'm buying a hobby farm. I plan on growing my own veggies, raising my own meat and installing a solar power system. And a wind turbine if I can. As well as putting in wood stoves and a wood over oil furnace.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I think being somewhere with abundant arable land or just somewhere with population levels in line with its farming capacity would be a good start. Britain, for example, is going to be a very bad place to be if/when the shit really hits the fan.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

What Im currently doing is getting as educated/wealthy as I can, so Im ok if the system continues to work. Im also (ideally) going to have an off the grid house that can sustain itself.

Just in case.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

If I were still living in Oregon things might not be so bad off, but as it is I'd be thoroughly fucked. I live in a major metropolitan area, make just enough to be considered middle-class, and my job's well being depends on the well being of the clients we work for, in a sense. So if anything were to happen to them as a result of the oil crunch, which it almost assuredly would, I'd be pretty much screwed.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Lisa
Jedi Knight

Post by Lisa »

I'm working on similar situation as Cpl Kendall, have some land (i've got an acre), my own electricity generation (wind and if i ever afford it solar), and some small animals (chickens and probably sheep or goats) and a wood stove for heat/cooking.
May you live in interesting times.
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

My class 4 zombie outbreak procedures can be easily adapted for peak oil. I'm prepared to relocate at anytime......
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Yeah, most emergency planning tends to crosscarry.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I'm considering making a dedicated thread to this problem along with ways people can limit damage to their own lives when the going gets tough. I'll let you know how it goes.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Ive asked Duchess to start thinking about a Forum for it.

I honestly think we'll need one soon.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Agreed. With all the minds we have here, I hope we can come up with a few workable solutions.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I'm floating the idea of a forum now too then. That should probably be more active than a single thread anyway given this ties in with a lot of other fields other than just oil abundance.
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I'm floating the idea of a forum now too then. That should probably be more active than a single thread anyway given this ties in with a lot of other fields other than just oil abundance.
Far more than just the (non-)availability of oil, I would say. If you need or want another request to be willing to request this of the Senate, you may consider this a PM request, though I'll do so for real if necessary.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I've brought it up with the staff. If it is deemed worth putting before the Senate, then I shall do so.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

Israel seems to actually be not-that-badly situationed for Peak Oil, in the sense that we have good public transportation, a decent train station, and the ability to feed ourselves. Not to mention that manual labor in the fields is only a generation or so off for us, if it comes to that.

And we're sitting next to the Sinai, if we get the brains to compromise with Egypt on that score. We might be able to survive this intact.

There is the whole being-at-ground-zero-for-the-oil-wars bit, but hostile Arabs are not exactly a NEW threat to us, and I get the feeling they'll be feeling U.S pressure by then.....

What the hell else am I supposed to do? My only other citizenship is American, which is apparantly the worst place to be for this shitstorm. I could smuggle myself to Finland or Norway, but I doubt that'd work.... :P

Y'know I used to have some vague plans of moving to the U.S after my IDF service? Now I doubt I'll ever see it again. Fucking curveballs of this life..... :?
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Countries like Brazil and Denmark are also better off given they've either helped fund the services needed to ween themselves off gross amounts of oil for cars and are trying to move away from fossil fuels. However, the economic effects will be felt by everyone still actively trading globally, so unless you're completely cut off and working under a zero growth economy now, you'll still run into problems somewhere. The potential for war is also there, especially in the ME which will be the battleground for many price wars first and possibly land grabs too. But first, Big Oil mergers and sly manipulation of stock will take place akin to Syriana.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I'd be extremely interested myself, and I'd like to see some more closure brought to the "rural vs urban" question within the PO debate. I maintain that having a hobby farm as a supplement to living in a dense population center that receives produce is better than some corny hollywood survivalist response to Peak Oil.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:I'd be extremely interested myself, and I'd like to see some more closure brought to the "rural vs urban" question within the PO debate. I maintain that having a hobby farm as a supplement to living in a dense population center that receives produce is better than some corny hollywood survivalist response to Peak Oil.
Rural areas are fine, dense urban areas are fine.

The die-off is going to happen in the suburbs, or more precisely in the massive refugee-camp like shanty-towns built by people from the surburbs in every empty space clustered as closely as possible around the dense urban cores.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Of course, your chances are even greater if you live in an urban sprawl that is also vital to the economy and not a lesser city, as it were. Rural environments will have less problems adapting, though agriculture will be the worst affected given how it's the backbone of country industry, and by extension, the country itself.

Keep in mind there is only so much farm space now with far fewer people working the land than in 1900 or even 1950, so until the need for numan labour rises to off-set mechanical costs of farming, there may not be room for a mass exodus from the suburbs. This was pretty hard to do even in 1929.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Governments also usually manage to pay their own employees even when everyone else is starving, so if you work for the Feds or a State government, you're sitting pretty good.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

It helps to be in an area of civil service that is needed too, not pork that only sucks down tax money. This is one reason why I am applying mainly for NHS jobs over here within the pathology departments, since the role of someone diagnosing infectious disease will always be there along with nurses and doctors.

The first to be hit hardest will be tourism, aerospace and logistics, but I'm sure that's pretty obvious anyway. Then it will be electronics, media and retail. The necessities of life will be last to get pruned back.
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

I that case I may switch from a contractor to government position in a couple of years. Yeah, I'm a software engineer, but I can learn to do something else quickly. Honestly, I hope the oil companies are right and the peak oil date is farther out, because this scares me shitless.
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Of course, you can rely on what Big Oil tells you, afterall, they have a vested interest in keeping prices high.

To be frank, I think I know who organises their press releases and it doesn't leave a good image of them in my mind.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

In the short term I'm making as much money as I possibly can, oil & gasoline futures have been very nice to me in the past few months. We plan to cash out before things really go south and then use the cash to buy a home somewhere. In a best case scenario we'll still be in Toronto and working our usual jobs, except our car will probably be in storage and used only for summer vacations or when absolutely positively necessary. We'll get around on bicycles, public transit, and Vespa scooters, or possibly an electric scooter since most of our trips are pretty short. Otherwise, life goes on, and things will be rougher.

We've also thought about moving to Quebec since they have craploads of spare hydroelectric power, most of the homes there are heated by electricity already so we won't have to worry about oil & natural gas running out and/or becoming unaffordable. Once electricity prices get high enough, and it's only a matter of time, Quebec will complete Phase II of the James Bay project and bring another 12GW of power online. The Churchill Falls project also has about another 4GW or so of capacity which can be developed. That's a crapload of power for heating homes, charging electric vehicles, and running electric trains. Should be a nice place to live, but I'll have to learn how to speak French again.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P