"creation science" museum?????

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Post by Antediluvian »

(Maybe it's crazy in the South, but not having lived there, the periodic newspaper story about a whacko fundie nonwithstanding, I'm not really in a position to say.)

I do live in the South, and let me tell you, It's Fundie hell down here.

Nothing they do down here would surprise me.

Quite the Fundie Stronghold. :evil:
Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Post by Antediluvian »

Mr. B wrote:We should have a feild trip to this "mueseum" and point out all the stupid creationist nonsense. I'd like to see them kick us out, probably make national news. But we would become more of those christian haters and add to the oppressed christian sect.
I'll bring the eggs and toilet paper so we can egg and roll it after it closes.

Party time! Whoo!
Hendrake
Padawan Learner

Post by Hendrake »

Raziel wrote:Is that net or gross pay? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that European taxes are higher in order to support such things as public health care and publicly subsidised post-secondary tuition.
That, and to pay for indoctrination camps... err, I mean Catholic Schools, to pay for the lawyers of the leading party mambers in general and the First Minister in particular ( a man with at least 4 criminal and who knows how many civil lawsuits pending), to finace parties...

That's in Italy, where taxes can be as high as 45-60%, thogh they vary very much depending on "occupation class" and income.

At least, I am proud to say that I have never seen arguments pro-creationism, the most hardcore fundies I've met or read interviews of either don't know what creationism is or say things like "Who can be that dumb?", and in the whole "christian bookshop" in my city I have only seen one book about creationism.
"It appears that our minds will never meet on this subject."
"If someone asks you why you're oppressing a world and you reply with a lot of poetic crap, no." - Lord of Light, Roger Zelazny
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Perhaps they also attempt to refute evolutionism in this "museum". They could put a fake monkey in a galss case and have something that says "If evolution was true, this would be your grandfather". Or, they could sink down far enough to make it a Young-Earth creationist museum, and have s of flat earths supported by pillars everywhere. If they want a museum like this, they should put it in the South, where students would probably take field trips to it.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

Puts me in mind of a couple of stories from here in Maryland. The first is a statue of the Ten Commandments that the ACLU has been trying to have removed from county government property (Carroll county, I believe) for over a year now. The county council is about as cooperative as you might expect, and the ACLU has now announced their intent to sue in order to get it removed. The local paper (The Baltimore Sun) of course had to take a "nutjob atheists object to harmless landmark" slant to this story. At the same time, we've got a lawsuit to stop the University of Maryland from distributing 100,000 copies of "The Laramie Project" as required freshman reading. The sponsors of the lawsuit (a group of Pentehostiles headquartered in Virginia) object on the grounds that it "promotes the gay lifestyle."

We're not a bible belt state, I swear: that's the really scary part. I can't imagine living in a state that's got MORE rabid fundamentalists than here.