Is it ok to use the word rape synonymously with curbstomp

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Spekio
Jedi Knight

Re: Is it ok to use the word rape synonymously with curbstom

Post by Spekio »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:The answer to the thread title is "no".

There is no need for further discussion.

No, you stupid fuck, it's not okay. If you need a multi-paragraph post to explain this to you, just eat a fucking bullet and make the world a better place.
Go die in a fire.

The day we can't have any discussion on any topic in a intelligent manner is the day I'm leaving SDN.

I can empathize with people advocating for the usage, and, to be completely honest, I find this attempt naive and misguided, because it's mainly sidestepping the issue. I consider murder to be inherently worse than rape, and yet I see no trouble with it being used as a metaphor, but I'm culturally removed from the issue.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Spekio wrote:Go die in a fire.

The day we can't have any discussion on any topic in a intelligent manner is the day I'm leaving SDN.
Hey, maybe when you've been raped, or are close friends or family with someone who has been raped, and who has had their rape dismissed as something that they might have done something to deserve or bring on themselves, I might care about your stupid fucking opinion, about how equating rape with other forms of violence and/or some sort of dominance thing could totally be okay and how maybe it's something that needs to be discussed at length and requires multiple viewpoients and multi-paragraph posts discussing the various pros and cons. Because surely you're not a total waste of a human being if you can't figure this shit out for yourself.

But until then, go fuck yourself.
General Zod wrote:But murder is still cool right?
Haha yeah murder is great sure. Wait no I never said anything like that.

Way to twist and/or miss my point, you mouth-breathing fucking troglodyte.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote: Haha yeah murder is great sure. Wait no I never said anything like that.

Way to twist and/or miss my point, you mouth-breathing fucking troglodyte.
Hello pot.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Or if you need me to simplify this shit further, you stupid fucking twits, if you were curbstomped and had your teeth smashed in, you wouldn't ever be accused of making it up for sympathy/to make someone else look bad/being an attention whore/oh you were totally down for it everyone knows you are totally down for that so there's no way someone smashed your teeth in without you wanting it because you have had your teeth smashed in with other people before.

Literally put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Or if you need me to simplify this shit further, you stupid fucking twits, if you were curbstomped and had your teeth smashed in, you wouldn't ever be accused of making it up for sympathy/to make someone else look bad/being an attention whore/oh you were totally down for it everyone knows you are totally down for that so there's no way someone smashed your teeth in without you want it because you have had your teeth smashed in with other people before.

Literally put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger.
Why don't you put down the crack pipe, take a few deep breaths and come back when you want to talk like an adult, mkay?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Haha yeah, because none of the things are at all applicable to the experiences of rape victims, right?

Oh wait. Maybe you should instead sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:blahblahblahragebonerblahblahblahblah
I give precisely zero fucks about your over the top internet tough-guy outrage.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

2 pages of interesting adult discussion, and so far half a page of cat shit.

Seraph, I guess you haven't even read the fucking thread?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

General Zod wrote:
SilverWingedSeraph wrote:blahblahblahragebonerblahblahblahblah
I give precisely zero fucks about your over the top internet tough-guy outrage.
Haha internet tough guy outright. I'm a tough guy because I'm saying that people who can't figure this shit out are inhuman pieces of garbage, sure.
madd0ct0r wrote:2 pages of interesting adult discussion, and so far half a page of cat shit.

Seraph, I guess you haven't even read the fucking thread?
I read the title, I read the op, I made post in response to those things (and made it clear I was replying to those things) and two dumb cunts decided to take offense to the simple fucking statements I made. Also I'm drunk and give no shits because this place is so retarded it makes GBS looks like a veritable bastion of intellect.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Hey, maybe when you've been raped, or are close friends or family with someone who has been raped, and who has had their rape dismissed as something that they might have done something to deserve or bring on themselves, I might care about your stupid fucking opinion, about how equating rape with other forms of violence and/or some sort of dominance thing could totally be okay and how maybe it's something that needs to be discussed at length and requires multiple viewpoients and multi-paragraph posts discussing the various pros and cons. Because surely you're not a total waste of a human being if you can't figure this shit out for yourself.

But until then, go fuck yourself.
I was going to call you on your strawman, but I'd like for you to explain how exactly not agreeing that we should not use rape as a metaphor is condoning rape?

Seriously.

And Law is pretty much that, to be honest - the discussion thing.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Oh hey let us have a civilized and intellectual discussion about how hitler may have in fact been correct in exterminating the jews hoho yes, jolly good i have my five paragraph essay right here dissect this subject.

What what what, someone has burst in and said anyone who thinks this way should kill themselves! What uncivilised foolish rudeness! We were here discussing genocide like adults and this... this SAVAGE had to come in and so rudely assert that anyone who likes genocide is a putrid cunt! HOW DARE HE.

HOW. DARE. HE.
I was going to call you on your strawman, but I'd like for you to explain how exactly not agreeing that we should not use rape as a metaphor is condoning rape?

Seriously.

Hey, dumbfuck, stop using words when you don't know what they mean. A strawman implies I took your position, made a mocked up version of it, and then attacked that. I didn't do that. I said I don't give a fuck about your opinion. How do you expect to keep up in intelligent debate if you don't know what words mean and you're being outsmarted by the drunk guy.

Secondly, read the shit above.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Haha yeah, because none of the things are at all applicable to the experiences of rape victims, right?

Most people in this thread explained that they felt using rape as a casual term for a sports victory (among other things) was bad because rape is a very bad thing. Most people in this thread agreed that rape is worse than curbstomping because:

A) It happens far more often than curbstomping
B) If someone is curbstomped, it will be taken very seriously by law enforcement but if someone is raped, the victim often is to blame.

The reason why this was up for discussion is because rape is being used by society as a whole in a very casual sense and most of us tend to agree with that. Why are you being so rabid about people simply wanting to discuss the topic when we already pretty much agree with you?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Oh hey let us have a civilized and intellectual discussion about how hitler may have in fact been correct in exterminating the jews hoho yes, jolly good i have my five paragraph essay right here dissect this subject.

What what what, someone has burst in and said anyone who thinks this way should kill themselves! What uncivilised foolish rudeness! We were here discussing genocide like adults and this... this SAVAGE had to come in and so rudely assert that anyone who likes genocide is a putrid cunt! HOW DARE HE.

HOW. DARE. HE.

Seriously.

Hey, dumbfuck, stop using words when you don't know what they mean. A strawman implies I took your position, made a mocked up version of it, and then attacked that. I didn't do that. I said I don't give a fuck about your opinion. How do you expect to keep up in intelligent debate if you don't know what words mean and you're being outsmarted by the drunk guy.

Secondly, read the shit above.
I think we need a thread discussing whether or not the use of the word cunt as an insult is appropriate.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Borgholio wrote:
SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Haha yeah, because none of the things are at all applicable to the experiences of rape victims, right?

Most people in this thread explained that they felt using rape as a casual term for a sports victory (among other things) was bad because rape is a very bad thing. Most people in this thread agreed that rape is worse than curbstomping because:

A) It happens far more often than curbstomping
B) If someone is curbstomped, it will be taken very seriously by law enforcement but if someone is raped, the victim often is to blame.

The reason why this was up for discussion is because rape is being used by society as a whole in a very casual sense and most of us tend to agree with that. Why are you being so rabid about people simply wanting to discuss the topic when we already pretty much agree with you?
A better question is, why are people so rabid about my coming in out of the blue and saying "The question in the subject title is a stupid and frankly offensive one that doesn't require an in-depth discussion to come to a conclusion about if you are a decent human being"?

I'm not saying that the discussion itself is a bad thing.

I'm saying the idea that people think this is a valid and reasonable question is a bad thing. That was my point. That's where I was going with this, in my round-about, belligerent manner.
General Zod wrote:I think we need a thread discussing whether or not the use of the word cunt as an insult is appropriate.
You got me. It's not.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

"The question in the subject title is a stupid and frankly offensive one that doesn't require an in-depth discussion to come to a conclusion about if you are a decent human being"?
Actually it does because even decent human beings use the term "rape" in a causal sense because they don't comprehend the magnitude of what rape really is. It is quite often used as a synonym for terms like curbstomp, murder, slaughter, steamroll, kicked the crap out of, beat the crap out of, mutilated, etc...many of which are actually used by sports commentators on the air.

So I think it's a very legitimate question for someone to ask, "Why is "rape" so much worse than any other words we use on a regular basis?" Now, if someone continues to use it deliberately despite knowing how it makes many people feel, then that someone is the scum of the earth. But simply requesting clarification as to "why" is not a bad thing. Not everyone knows what a "rape culture" is and it's a good thing to educate them.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote: A better question is, why are people so rabid about my coming in out of the blue and saying "The question in the subject title is a stupid and frankly offensive one that doesn't require an in-depth discussion to come to a conclusion about if you are a decent human being"?
I think you're doing a lot of projecting here.
That's exactly what you've been saying this whole time.
I'm saying the idea that people think this is a valid and reasonable question is a bad thing. That was my point. That's where I was going with this, in my round-about, belligerent manner.
I guess the distinction between manslaughter and murder is unreasonable and not valid either. I mean they both involve killing someone so who cares *I'm a smarmy asshole*?
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Actually it does because even decent human beings use the term "rape" in a causal sense because they don't comprehend the magnitude of what rape really is. It is quite often used as a synonym for terms like curbstomp, murder, slaughter, steamroll, kicked the crap out of, beat the crap out of, mutilated, etc...many of which are actually used by sports commentators on the air.
Counter-point: Those people are not actually decent human beings and many people are, in fact, scum.
So I think it's a very legitimate question for someone to ask, "Why is "rape" so much worse than any other words we use on a regular basis?" Now, if someone continues to use it deliberately despite knowing how it makes many people feel, then that someone is the scum of the earth. But simply requesting clarification as to "why" is not a bad thing. Not everyone knows what a "rape culture" is and it's a good thing to educate them.
The existence of rape culture (there are no scare quotes) is actively and routinely denied by a significant percentage of people who are told about it, because they're more comfortable believing that rape is something that only happens to people who deserve it, like loose women who walk around in dark alleys wearing skimpy clothing. Pleading ignorance doesn't really work in the year 2014. It's not a shocking new concept.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

General Zod wrote:
SilverWingedSeraph wrote: A better question is, why are people so rabid about my coming in out of the blue and saying "The question in the subject title is a stupid and frankly offensive one that doesn't require an in-depth discussion to come to a conclusion about if you are a decent human being"?
I think you're doing a lot of projecting here.
That's exactly what you've been saying this whole time.
I guess the distinction between manslaughter and murder is unreasonable and not valid either. I mean they both involve killing someone so who cares *I'm a smarmy asshole*?
Hey Zod, nothing you ever have to say is at all a constructive contribution to the conversation. Stop trying, you're wasting everyone's time, including your own. But hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself to make these inane, half-arsed posts, feel free to keep at it. I'm just gonna tune it out from now on, though.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

A few decades ago mocking the church would have been something "no decent human being" would have done either. I like to have slightly higher standards than that for banning discussion on something but I guess that's beyond you.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

General Zod wrote:A few decades ago mocking the church would have been something "no decent human being" would have done either. I like to have slightly higher standards than that for banning discussion on something but I guess that's beyond you.
Haha it's like all you can respond with is sideways non-sequiturs, it's great. You just compared rape-apologia to insulting religion. Think about that for a second, Zod. Think about what you've done. Take a look in the mirror, and realise the person you're looking at just said "'A few decades ago, no decent human being who have insulted the church' and this is comparative to your comments about how decent people do not excuse or dismiss rape on other humans."

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you consider female rape victims (or rape victims in general) to be humans. Because I'm generous like that.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Counter-point: Those people are not actually decent human beings and many people are, in fact, scum.
So someone who honestly, legitimately doesn't know any better is scum? Would it not be better to label those as scum who are educated on the matter but still don't give a shit?
The existence of rape culture (there are no scare quotes) is actively and routinely denied by a significant percentage of people who are told about it, because they're more comfortable believing that rape is something that only happens to people who deserve it, like loose women who walk around in dark alleys wearing skimpy clothing.
Yes but none of those people exist on these boards because most of us are a bit more progressive than that. So your attacks really should be better directed towards those who actually DO believe it.
Pleading ignorance doesn't really work in the year 2014
Works fine for most of the Tea Party. Interestingly, you won't find many of them here either.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Borgholio wrote:
So someone who honestly, legitimately doesn't know any better is scum? Would it not be better to label those as scum who are educated on the matter but still don't give a shit?
How much education do you need to realise "rape is a thing that happens", "rape victims are often accused of making false accusations", "rape victims are often blamed for their rapes", "all of this makes statements regarding rape, a low-visibility form of assault that anyone I know could have been a victim of, a very hurtful subject in ways that other forms of physical violence aren't, because at least people can acknowledge that those sorts of violence fucking occured."

It didn't take that much education for me, I just had to get fucking raped to learn that. I don't really wish that education on anyone, but I also don't particularly empathise with the people who plead fucking ignorance.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:
General Zod wrote:A few decades ago mocking the church would have been something "no decent human being" would have done either. I like to have slightly higher standards than that for banning discussion on something but I guess that's beyond you.
Haha it's like all you can respond with is sideways non-sequiturs, it's great. You just compared rape-apologia to insulting religion. Think about that for a second, Zod. Think about what you've done. Take a look in the mirror, and realise the person you're looking at just said "'A few decades ago, no decent human being who have insulted the church' and this is comparative to your comments about how decent people do not excuse or dismiss rape on other humans."

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you consider female rape victims (or rape victims in general) to be humans. Because I'm generous like that.
What makes this whole thing funny is I generally agree with your viewpoint. I just think you're being a smug, self important asshole about it.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

General Zod wrote:What makes this whole thing funny is I generally agree with your viewpoint. I just think you're being a smug, self important asshole about it.
So it's an issue of style over substance? :lol:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:
General Zod wrote:What makes this whole thing funny is I generally agree with your viewpoint. I just think you're being a smug, self important asshole about it.
So it's an issue of style over substance? :lol:
It takes a big man to jump into a thread that's mostly run its course and start calling the losing side a bunch of ignorant mouthbreathers.