Creativity and Madness

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

What is your stance on the issue?

Madness is a part of us all...Some just dive deeper than others
48%
There may indeed be a link between creativity and madness...
26%
I'm not sure what to think. It is possible, though seemingly unlikely, that there is a link...
4%
There probably is no link between madness and creativity.
4%
Some people are crazed, some people are normal. While they might seem similar, there is definately no connection.
17%

Total votes: 23

Sienthal
Padawan Learner

Creativity and Madness

Post by Sienthal »

Do you believe their is a link? Explain your reasons.

I doubt my opinion is worth writing entirely, so I'll read your reasons and respond to them with a few thoughts of mine.
Welcome to the Divine Empire of Ashcroft:
-Hey, you! Sending e-mail, eh?Say Cheese!
-What I say here is forever being recorded. Wonderful, isn't it?
-Jack Chick develops the most disturbing Chick tract to date. It may be viewed here: MIGHTY MORPHIN' SATAN RANGERS! GO!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

We are all Mad, The problem is when everyone else figures out your Madder then they are and call for the nice lightly mad men in white coats to take you to the fun Padded rooms

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Nick
Jedi Knight

Re: Creativity and Madness

Post by Nick »

Sienthal wrote:Do you believe their is a link? Explain your reasons.

I doubt my opinion is worth writing entirely, so I'll read your reasons and respond to them with a few thoughts of mine.
(Very) Generally speaking (not to mention oversimplifying horribly), 'madness' is often a matter of extremes.

For example, perfectionism is often a desirable trait - it embodies a desire to get things just right. However, a perfectionist can, perhaps reluctantly, overrule their desire for perfection and say 'good enough'. Taken to extremes, however, to the point where conscious restriction of the desire for perfection becomes impossible, we start to get into a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Similarly, some of the desirable traits of creativity may, if taken to extremes, become classed as madness.

So, are their parallels in observed behaviour? Yes.
Is it possible that some of the root causes are related? Yes.
Does this mean being creative means you're more likely to go mad? I doubt it.

Determining where the line between eccentricity and pathology lies is an extraordinarily difficult task - that's why psychologists and psychiatrists have to work so damn hard.

So, to get back to the original question:
Is there a link? Possibly
Is there a link solid enough to be meaningful or useful to anyone but a psychologist or psychiatrist? No.
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Madness and creativity are essentially the same. Proof?
Look at the infamous works of Hieronimus Bosch.
Supermod
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

Madness and creativity are essentially the same. Proof?
Look at the infamous works of Hieronimus Bosch.
that is correct, many of the greatest figures in history can be defined as both creative and mad at the same time very easily.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Kolinar Romanov
Youngling

Post by Kolinar Romanov »

It's all aboput perception.

Some of the most creative geniuses in the world, are, to some, mad. There was Tony Buzan, who talked irrelevant subjects during any important interview. Or EInstein, who was an oddball himself.

But, there is, in my opinion, a difference from odd people, who are creative geniuses, and people who are just mad. Picture it: try comparing Willy Wonka to a man in a strait jacket, and you'll know what I mean......
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Kolinar Romanov wrote:It's all aboput perception.

Some of the most creative geniuses in the world, are, to some, mad. There was Tony Buzan, who talked irrelevant subjects during any important interview. Or EInstein, who was an oddball himself.

But, there is, in my opinion, a difference from odd people, who are creative geniuses, and people who are just mad. Picture it: try comparing Willy Wonka to a man in a strait jacket, and you'll know what I mean......
Meh, I think there's a little in all of us, but some moreso than others.

Look at me, I wrote three fanfics that people really like on ASVS. And look at me now, the only real reason why I'm posting is because I want my Yuri Avatar to show up below yours :P
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

We're all mad. It's just that most people are mad in the same way.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

That makes sense. If we're mad in the same way, then our madness will be perceived as the norm.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia