JUNKSCIENCE.COM

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

JUNKSCIENCE.COM

Post by MKSheppard »

http://www.junkscience.com

Great to use against enviro-whackoes who use garbage science to
justify their crusade against technology....
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

JunkScience is an appropriate term...for the science on the website.

The "Great American antismoking scam" indeed.

And they've "debunked" global warming and ozone loss. I guess it's not happening then. I'm glad pollution's not a concern either.

What's next? "Toxic pollutants are our friend?"

They link to this:

"Rich 'will help the poor' - UN

The world is now in earnest about working to end poverty, according to the United Nations official running the Earth Summit, Nitin Desai."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

And a link in the same article, not commented on

"Thirsty world ahead: Two people in five already face water shortages"

Hmm...I thought there were no problems in the world?!?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Water sortage?

Do they define it? IE not enough Water to fully Submurge your SVC and pet Whale? Not even to float the USS-Enterprise? How much of a shortage

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

"Oil lobby dismisses Earth summit" - "CONSERVATIVE lobbyists in the US funded by Esso have urged President Bush to derail the Earth summit in Johannesburg because it is anti-freedom, anti-people, anti-globalisation and anti-Western. The lobbyists, funded by the oil company that was also a big donor to the President's election campaign, urged Mr Bush to make sure that global warming was kept off the agenda at the summit, which starts later this month." (The Times)
Is it possible that this site is dedicated to all the examples of junk science out there? To combat the West Nile Virus, one article promotes DDT to stop it. :roll:
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

junkscience.com = all the reality real Americans refuse to acknowledge or are too ignorant to understand.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

LMSx wrote:
"Oil lobby dismisses Earth summit" - "CONSERVATIVE lobbyists in the US funded by Esso have urged President Bush to derail the Earth summit in Johannesburg because it is anti-freedom, anti-people, anti-globalisation and anti-Western. The lobbyists, funded by the oil company that was also a big donor to the President's election campaign, urged Mr Bush to make sure that global warming was kept off the agenda at the summit, which starts later this month." (The Times)
Is it possible that this site is dedicated to all the examples of junk science out there? To combat the West Nile Virus, one article promotes DDT to stop it. :roll:
To be fair nothing has proven more effective in inspect control. It's just that pesky pure poison aspect that limits its usage…
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Sea Skimmer wrote: To be fair nothing has proven more effective in inspect control. It's just that pesky pure poison aspect that limits its usage…
Actually, if you just simply spray some of it on doorways/windows etc
instead of just spaying it at wild into the air, it achieves a remarkable
reduction in the insect population with little of the health costs
caused by mass spraying of DDT.

To the others:

Why is it that when a 'scientist' comes out with a new theory that such and
such causes cancer, you all accept it lemming-like?

I guess skepticism only applies when fighting creationists.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

MKSheppard wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote: To be fair nothing has proven more effective in inspect control. It's just that pesky pure poison aspect that limits its usage…
Actually, if you just simply spray some of it on doorways/windows etc
instead of just spaying it at wild into the air, it achieves a remarkable
reduction in the insect population with little of the health costs
caused by mass spraying of DDT.
I've heard that, as long as nothing touches the surface its bene sprayed on, there will be no ill effects. However it only protects an area in close proximity and within the building. Quite useful, but the great out doors would still need to be dealt with. For that you need stuff that can be sprayed into the air and dumped into lakes.

In the end it would certainly not be worth all the BS to get it placed back into production in this country, and we'd never be able to import it from the third world nations that still make widespread use of it.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Sea Skimmer wrote: I've heard that, as long as nothing touches the surface its bene sprayed on, there will be no ill effects. However it only protects an area in close proximity and within the building. Quite useful, but the great out doors would still need to be dealt with. For that you need stuff that can be sprayed into the air and dumped into lakes.
This would still be sufficient in the third world to protect from Malaria. Spray
the doors/windows of a house with DDT, and you have reasonably effective
protection from insects for a couple of months.

Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

MKSheppard wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote: I've heard that, as long as nothing touches the surface its bene sprayed on, there will be no ill effects. However it only protects an area in close proximity and within the building. Quite useful, but the great out doors would still need to be dealt with. For that you need stuff that can be sprayed into the air and dumped into lakes.
This would still be sufficient in the third world to protect from Malaria. Spray
the doors/windows of a house with DDT, and you have reasonably effective
protection from insects for a couple of months.
Good idea, especially since so many African nations at least, already produce it. I wonder how well it holds up to rain?

Just for the record though, I'm still in favor of a solution that involves using orbital laser battle stations to boil surface water, thus killing insect larva.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

:D