Does free will exist?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Xuenay
Youngling

Post by Xuenay »

Darth Wong wrote:In any case, I don't see why free will should require that one is completely "unconstrained" by external influences, to use the second part of your definition. When you drive a car, 99.99% of the car's actions are dictated by its inherent structure, the laws of physics, the actions of other drivers, traffic lights, laws, etc. In effect, you are heavily constrained by the nature of the car. Does this mean that you have no control over the car's movements? Of course not.
Depends on the situation. If we, as you say, try to judge the amount of freedom while driving a car, there's still little actual freedom as such. Yes, you are the one controlling the car, but most of the time you're merely reacting to the situation - if the lights are green, you keep driving. If they're red, you stop. And, to tie this in with the main theory, even your style of driving and such aren't really chosen by you - it's again your past experiences and your personality that's influencing it.
Darth Wong wrote:Freedom is not a simplistic all-or-nothing proposition. There are "degrees of freedom", to use an engineering term, rather than drawing a false dilemma between zero freedom and total freedom. You don't need to be completely free of external constraints in order to have free will, which I see as a problem with your argument. In short, your definition is overly strict,
Well, how free of external constraints can anybody be? If outside influences mold one's personality, and our personality is what constrains one's decisions, isn't everybody being constantly constrained by outside influences? (with the possible expection of people who spend their lives in deep meditation or something similiar)
Darth Wong wrote:This is where your argument stumbles into logical fallacies (not to mention unfalsifiable theorems). You can prove that individual behaviour is not free of external influences without necessarily proving that it is predictable, even in theory. There are a lot of systems in nature which are unpredictable even if they aren't sentient at all. What about the possibility of randomness? What about the possibility that there is inherent unpredictability in complex systems? You are making a logical leap from "not completely free of outside influence" to "predictability".
True, and you're right - lack of free will doesn't necessarily lead to predictability. That's not a very big issue, however, as the predictability part was used to prove a point more than anything else. Just as lack of free will doesn't lead to predictability, unpredictability also doesn't lead to the existance of free will.
Darth Wong wrote:One final concern is that the distinction between internal and external phenomena is fuzzy. When people start describing the inherent nature of your own brain as an external influence, I would submit that the data is being skewed to fit a conclusion.
True as well. It is, as you said, a question of definition. I don't think that just because the structure of one's brain is an internal influence, there would be free will any more than there would be if it was an external influence, partly because the function of your brain is still an influence to how your mind works. But fitting that into the second definition is tricky and mostly a question of how one wants to interprete it, I admit.

Of course, it would be possible to argue that since one doesn't control evolution, and one doesn't control their growth in the womb, how their mind and brain work is an external influence. That, actually, is pretty similiar to the first argument - outside influences create our personality, thus making our personality a creation of nothing more than external influences, and thus isn't as unfeasible as it might sound.
"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." -- Scott McNealy, CEO Sun Microsystems

"Did you know that ninety-nine per cent of the people who contract cancer wear shoes?" -- Al Bester in J. Gregory Keyes' book Final Reckoning
Nick
Jedi Knight

Free will

Post by Nick »

As previously indicated, the answer to 'Does free will exist?' is entirely determined by the definition used for free will.

So, let's try to turn it into a more interesting question - "Assuming that the term 'free will' accurately describes the mental state of a healthy adult human, what does the term mean, and how would we establish the existence of 'free will'?"

And to that, I would submit the principle charactetistic as being perceived volition. In other words, the actor should identify the act as originating from within what they identify as 'themself'. Basically, if a person believes they did something 'of their own free will', then that is the case, and any other conclusion is pointless semantic quibling. This means that the same act, performed unthinkingly or accidentally by one individual and deliberately by another is an exercise of free will for the latter, but not for the former.

Of course, this does lay down a couple of requirements for the identification of free will:

1. Self-identity. The actor must have a sense of self, or they aren't going to be able to have any opinions about themselves, let alone be able to consider the question 'Am I acting of my own free will?'
2. Communication. The person attempting to establish the existence of free will must have some means of asking the question 'Are you acting of yur own free will?' and the actor must have some means for answering.

Without the second, we may _speculate_ that self-identity and free will exist in an actor, but we can obviously never be certain.

(Whoever it was who earlier said "We have free will, because we can ask 'Do we have free will?' was spot on. . .)

EDIT: The above is not meant to dismiss the possibility of psychologicial manipulation. However, that manipulation is merely another influence shaping an individual's choices. They still have their free will, but the accuracy of their judgment has been distorted. It is yet another example of why anyone who likes clear-cut answers should stay away from psychology :)
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Free will

Post by Alferd Packer »

NOTE: I am not endorsing or condemning anyone's personal beliefs in any way whatsoever. This a purely abrstract philosophical excercise.

Theorem: If God exists, free will does not.

Corollary: If God does not exist, free will does.

Here, "God" is defined as the omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient creator of the Universe.

Since God knows everything, right down to the position of every meson at every single Planck time for the entirety of the universe's existence, he knows everything that can happen, but more than that, he knows everything that will happen.

Since what will happen is well within his scope, any choice we make is predetermined by God, and free will does not exist. God, by being all-knowing, has foreordained what will happen, precluding free will's existence.

So, what if God doesn't exist? Well, how can we prove that? How do you prove something doesn't exist? You might be tempted to say "Prove it exists via an established method, but then show that the method used is an impossibility, therefore it doesn't exist." That's a valid approach in certain instances, but in this case, it just shows weak reasoning.

Conclusion: The bottom line is that, since you can't prove God doesn't exist, but you can't prove God exists, free will, as a pure abstract, is irrelevent. Just buy the damn nachos.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Nick
Jedi Knight

Re: Free will

Post by Nick »

Alferd Packer wrote: Conclusion: The bottom line is that, since you can't prove God doesn't exist, but you can't prove God exists, free will, as a pure abstract, is irrelevent. Just buy the damn nachos.
What he said :lol:

This is a case where the illusion of something might as well be, for all intents and purposes, interchangeable with the real thing.
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Since there is only one past, we cannot switch decisions made in the past, and any point in the future will eventually become a point in the past, our destiny is fixed.
This does not follow. Maybe it would if you can travel into the fururre, but even that is somewhat debatable. In any event, the birghtest physicists can't come up with a way to go into the future.

Al Paker's argument only works if God has created a Universe where nothing can change from the course he set. This has not been proven. Actually, if you take, say, most any religious teaching, we do have the power to choose between good and evil. Hell, your already talking about my omnipotent Great-Grandaddy (figuratively), so how do you know that he didn't just create the whole world to be reflective of the decisions we would have made if we didn't have bodiesand were just in a big holodeck anyway?
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
ShAoLiN
BANNED

Post by ShAoLiN »

Alferd Packer wrote:NOTE: I am not endorsing or condemning anyone's personal beliefs in any way whatsoever. This a purely abrstract philosophical excercise.

Theorem: If God exists, free will does not.

Corollary: If God does not exist, free will does.

Here, "God" is defined as the omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient creator of the Universe.

Since God knows everything, right down to the position of every meson at every single Planck time for the entirety of the universe's existence, he knows everything that can happen, but more than that, he knows everything that will happen.

Since what will happen is well within his scope, any choice we make is predetermined by God, and free will does not exist. God, by being all-knowing, has foreordained what will happen, precluding free will's existence.

So, what if God doesn't exist? Well, how can we prove that? How do you prove something doesn't exist? You might be tempted to say "Prove it exists via an established method, but then show that the method used is an impossibility, therefore it doesn't exist." That's a valid approach in certain instances, but in this case, it just shows weak reasoning.

Conclusion: The bottom line is that, since you can't prove God doesn't exist, but you can't prove God exists, free will, as a pure abstract, is irrelevent. Just buy the damn nachos.

the problem with that, is that it assumes knowledge is based on manipulation of events.

if God - knows all
therefore - he caused x to happen.

its easily proven that knowledge can exist, without someone thoroughly manipulating events, or deliberately coaxing a result of out something. you might know that a car left in salt water will rust, but it doesnt mean you left the car there.

there are other possibilities..

believing we have no free will can be a dangerous thing - it absolves us of the responsability of our actions, should we do wrong.. its like, robbing a store and shrugging off all responsability by saying its not my fault, i have no free will, or some nonsense.
VilliageIdiot
Youngling

Post by VilliageIdiot »

Alferd Packer wrote: Theorem: If God exists, free will does not.

Ow, I think I strained my last braincell reading through that post. Bear with my stupidity, but did the Bible state that humans have free-will, which is what makes humans different from all the other creatures? Because if the Bible does state this, then either the Judeo-Christian God isn't the omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient creator of the Universe as the Bible claims or it's a self-contradicting statement.

Also, if the Judeo-Christian God is the omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient creator of the Universe, then it would follow that humans have no free-will. So, would this lack of free-will excuse the "sins" of humans, since we had no choice in the actions we committed? If we had no choice, then why are we being punished?
"Please explain to me the scientific nature of the 'whammy'."
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

believing we have no free will can be a dangerous thing - it absolves us of the responsability of our actions, should we do wrong.. its like, robbing a store and shrugging off all responsability by saying its not my fault, i have no free will, or some nonsense.
Ah, but it is one thing to assume the idea philosophically and something altogether different to build a society around it. While I personally do assume (I prefer 'assume' to 'believe') that the universe is a place of cause and effect, which dictates that we and our actions are products of previous occurences, I would not at all support using that assumption for any practical purpose. Until, or even if, physics can be finalized, it remains necessary to ignore the idea for the most part. My preference is this, although it takes a moment to wrap one's mind around the idea: although we have no free will, we should strive to live as though we do and our choices are important, because although what will happen is technically predetermined, as long as it is predetermined that people will assume they have free will in their day to day lives, the world will progress as it currently is (could be better, could be much worse).