[Official Thread] OBAMA WINS RE-ELECTION

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: [Official Thread] 2012 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Post by Dalton »

CTW has asked the Obama campaign to withdraw that advertisement, as they do not wish to politicize Sesame Street. The same thing happened with NBC. That being said, that's hardly too far. Romney is already making hay about it.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

While I understand the Workshop's concerns, I think it's too late for that. Romney opened the door last week, after all and the Bird is fair game.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Yeah, CTW can eat a dick on this one. You can be all passive on issues which don't threaten your shows survival as we know it.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Or CTW could have some integrity (something that they try to teach children) by keeping Sesame Street apolitical. God forbid children's programming attempt to keep itself above the general mudslinging that is U.S. politics in an attempt to actually stick to their moral convictions.

Big Bird and the like are not about Democrat or Republican but about teaching children of any background basic knowledge and ethics. Them choosing to abstain from the dog and pony show that is a modern election is something they should be lauded for not denigrated.

This post brought to you by the letter K and the number 8.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I'm not saying they should get involved themselves, but don't tell people not to fight on your behalf, especially when it's your survival on the line and it benefits millions and millions of underpriviledged kids.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

Flagg wrote:I'm not saying they should get involved themselves, but don't tell people not to fight on your behalf, especially when it's your survival on the line and it benefits millions and millions of underpriviledged kids.
Do you really think Sesame Street would die even if all government funding were cut off? A show like that easily can get support from donors unlike perhaps less popular PBS shows.

In other news...

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-promises-n ... ction.html
Romney promises no abortion legislation
By STEVE PEOPLES | Associated Press – 1 hr 5 mins ago

Republican presidential candidate, …
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Wading into an explosive social issue, Republican Mitt Romney on Tuesday said he would not pursue any abortion-related legislation if elected president.
"There's no legislation with regards to abortion that I'm familiar with that would become part of my agenda," he told the Des Moines Register in an interview posted on the newspaper's website.
The former Massachusetts governor said he would instead use an executive order to reinstate the so-called Mexico City policy that bans American aid from funding abortions. President Barack Obama waived the order soon after taking office.
Romney's statement to the newspaper represents an apparent shift on a topic Obama's campaign has tried to use against him, particularly with female voters. Soon after the comments were posted on the Register's website, the president's campaign pounced.
"We know the truth about where he stands on a woman's right to choose: He's said he'd be delighted to sign a bill banning all abortions, and called Roe v. Wade 'one of the darkest moments in Supreme Court history,' while pledging to appoint Supreme Court justices who will overturn it. Women simply can't trust him," Obama spokeswoman Lis Smith said.
As recently as a presidential debate in January, Romney said the Supreme Court should overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark ruling that legalized abortion across the nation.
Social issues were a focus during the Republican presidential primary earlier in the year as Romney struggled to win over skeptical conservatives. He has focused on economic issues since claiming his party's nomination and offered a moderate tone in recent days.
The Planned Parenthood Action Fund says Romney's statement is misleading.
"Mitt Romney's views on women's health are far outside of the mainstream, and that's why he's trying to hide them in the last weeks until the election," said action fund executive vice president Dawn Laguens.
Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul did not back away from the Des Moines Register comments when asked for clarification Tuesday night.
"Mitt Romney is proudly pro-life, and he will be a pro-life president," she said.
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

General Mung Beans wrote:
Flagg wrote:I'm not saying they should get involved themselves, but don't tell people not to fight on your behalf, especially when it's your survival on the line and it benefits millions and millions of underpriviledged kids.
Do you really think Sesame Street would die even if all government funding were cut off? A show like that easily can get support from donors unlike perhaps less popular PBS shows.
More likely it would become another show designed solely around selling shit to kids. Something that shouldn't happen.
In other news...

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-promises-n ... ction.html
Romney promises no abortion legislation
By STEVE PEOPLES | Associated Press – 1 hr 5 mins ago

Republican presidential candidate, …
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Wading into an explosive social issue, Republican Mitt Romney on Tuesday said he would not pursue any abortion-related legislation if elected president.
"There's no legislation with regards to abortion that I'm familiar with that would become part of my agenda," he told the Des Moines Register in an interview posted on the newspaper's website.
The former Massachusetts governor said he would instead use an executive order to reinstate the so-called Mexico City policy that bans American aid from funding abortions. President Barack Obama waived the order soon after taking office.
Romney's statement to the newspaper represents an apparent shift on a topic Obama's campaign has tried to use against him, particularly with female voters. Soon after the comments were posted on the Register's website, the president's campaign pounced.
"We know the truth about where he stands on a woman's right to choose: He's said he'd be delighted to sign a bill banning all abortions, and called Roe v. Wade 'one of the darkest moments in Supreme Court history,' while pledging to appoint Supreme Court justices who will overturn it. Women simply can't trust him," Obama spokeswoman Lis Smith said.
As recently as a presidential debate in January, Romney said the Supreme Court should overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark ruling that legalized abortion across the nation.
Social issues were a focus during the Republican presidential primary earlier in the year as Romney struggled to win over skeptical conservatives. He has focused on economic issues since claiming his party's nomination and offered a moderate tone in recent days.
The Planned Parenthood Action Fund says Romney's statement is misleading.
"Mitt Romney's views on women's health are far outside of the mainstream, and that's why he's trying to hide them in the last weeks until the election," said action fund executive vice president Dawn Laguens.
Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul did not back away from the Des Moines Register comments when asked for clarification Tuesday night.
"Mitt Romney is proudly pro-life, and he will be a pro-life president," she said.
I love it. This is a long standing pattern where Romney says one thing to a large audience, and then has a handler backtrack so he can say he wasn't lying.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

Flagg wrote:
Lord MJ wrote:Has the Obama campaign taken it too far with the Big Bird attack ads?
Translation: Old Man (McCain) yells at cloud, MJ soils himself.
Who said anything about McCain, did McCain say something?

When I and my co-workers (a few of which are probably voting for Obama) saw the Sesame Street ad, the reaction was, "is this for real?" Poking at Mitt's PBS comments seemed like a good stump speech, maybe pointing out that PBS is an insignificant part of government spending was a good idea too. But this ad seems to much like desperation. Do they honestly think that this ad will get them anywhere with anyone? There is plenty of other ammunition to use against Romney from the debate. This just seems farcical.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Lord MJ wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Lord MJ wrote:Has the Obama campaign taken it too far with the Big Bird attack ads?
Translation: Old Man (McCain) yells at cloud, MJ soils himself.
Who said anything about McCain, did McCain say something?

When I and my co-workers (a few of which are probably voting for Obama) saw the Sesame Street ad, the reaction was, "is this for real?" Poking at Mitt's PBS comments seemed like a good stump speech, maybe pointing out that PBS is an insignificant part of government spending was a good idea too. But this ad seems to much like desperation. Do they honestly think that this ad will get them anywhere with anyone? There is plenty of other ammunition to use against Romney from the debate. This just seems farcical.
Yeah McCain was whining about Obama using Sesame Street against Willard.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

It could be a desperate attempt to tap the youth vote that's still young enough to remember the show -- i.e the youth vote that's disillusioned with Obama and pissed over what the job market has done to their prospects.

I'm fine with the ad because, as I said, Mittens opened the door and the bird is now in play.

But the youth vote worries me a lot. I'm unhappy with Obama, but I will vote for him because I'm willing to give him a pass in certain areas (ex. Hostile Congress) and because the image of President Mittens scares the hell out of me.

But I have every faith in the more angry elements of the youth vote to either abstain from the ballot box or vote for Romney out of spite.
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

Best analogy I've heard (admittedly from a Romney supporter). Obama is like the surgeon/doctor that tells a patient that is feeling pain after the surgery that the surgery went well and everything is fine.

Sure the surgery made have went perfectly, but the patient is in pain, and the pain is the only thing the patient is caring about at the moment.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Getting back to PBS, we have Levar Burton weighing in and Geordi ain't happy...
Lord Falcon
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Falcon »

Crossroads: Please don't call me a troll. Look, I'm not trying to piss anybody off or be difficult. If I am doing so, I am genuinely sorry, ok? I'm just really worried. Even with two jobs, between me and my mom, and Jerry trying to go back to school, we STILL need our monthly Social Security to survive, and barely. The Republicans basically plan to do away with all those. How else am I supposed to react? They just don't CARE about people at ALL.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Lord Falcon wrote:Crossroads: Please don't call me a troll. Look, I'm not trying to piss anybody off or be difficult. If I am doing so, I am genuinely sorry, ok? I'm just really worried. Even with two jobs, between me and my mom, and Jerry trying to go back to school, we STILL need our monthly Social Security to survive, and barely. The Republicans basically plan to do away with all those. How else am I supposed to react? They just don't CARE about people at ALL.
React like an adult and not piss yourself at every bit of bad news minutia that won't matter at all in the end? Act your fucking age. Or older. Probably older.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Lord Falcon wrote:Crossroads: Please don't call me a troll. Look, I'm not trying to piss anybody off or be difficult. If I am doing so, I am genuinely sorry, ok? I'm just really worried. Even with two jobs, between me and my mom, and Jerry trying to go back to school, we STILL need our monthly Social Security to survive, and barely. The Republicans basically plan to do away with all those. How else am I supposed to react? They just don't CARE about people at ALL.
Are you politically active?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Lord Falcon
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Falcon »

Jesus, I'm sorry. Just forget I ever said anything...
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Romney once again politicizes Benghazi, exploits one of the dead to "humanize" himself despite the mother requesting he not do so and only stops after media scrutiny.
Lord Falcon wrote:Crossroads: Please don't call me a troll.
Am I fucking invisible? I thought I asked you to stop posting in this thread.
To Absent Friends

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Dalton wrote:Romney once again politicizes Benghazi, exploits one of the dead to "humanize" himself despite the mother requesting he not do so and only stops after media scrutiny.
The creepy thing is that he had the snake oil salesman smirk from the debate and was telling the story about the guy dying almost jovially.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The right must have started screeching because now Romney says he'll be a pro life president. For now.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Flagg wrote:The right must have started screeching because now Romney says he'll be a pro life president. For now.
Apparently only Romney can sink Romney with the relentless pursuit of a thousand small leaks.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Max
Jedi Knight

Post by Max »

The VP debate tonight has the potential to be amazing. I can't imagine Biden won't call Ryan out on shit he will (not might) lie about. I want to see Biden shut him down.

The "Us v. Them" mentality between the two parties seems to be getting more intense (or maybe it's just me becoming more politically aware, and perhaps it's always just been this way) with each election, which makes me wonder if the VP debates will have a more significant impact on the elections going forward. I'm under the impression that, historically, they don't really have much (if any) impact.
Last edited by D.Turtle on 2012-10-11 04:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted the double post - D.Turtle
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

At the very least, Biden can buy Obama time to regroup and re-energize.

My worry is that the damage from the first debate has already been done due to the early voting that's begun in Ohio. But we'll see.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

JME2 wrote:At the very least, Biden can buy Obama time to regroup and re-energize.

My worry is that the damage from the first debate has already been done due to the early voting that's begun in Ohio. But we'll see.
According to the latest NBC/WSJ/Marist polls, early voting in Ohio has been predominantly among Obama supporters 63-37.
To Absent Friends

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

At the very least, Biden won't be a passive asshat like Obama was. I still am kind of in disbelief with how badly the Obama campaign handled the first debate. Obama was crushing Romney and now it seems like he's on his way to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. :x
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

There's still several weeks (and debates) to go. One dip in the polls does not spell disaster.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh