SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread IX

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Re: SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread IX

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Eh.. What the heck? What kind of brainwashing technique is this? Does it even work?!
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Eh.. What the heck? What kind of brainwashing technique is this? Does it even work?!
ITT we learn that while Zombies and Vampires are acceptable, Clockwork Orange is not. :D

And technically, it isn't brainwashing, it's conditioning. This is not The Shroomchurian Candidate.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It's basically teaching Sheppo Japanistani table manners in the most asshole sadistic way possible? :lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I love how Fin is basically re-inventing the wheel there. The Old Dominion began to transition to an alcohol-economy in the first thread. :D
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Lonestar wrote:I love how Fin is basically re-inventing the wheel there. The Old Dominion began to transition to an alcohol-economy in the first thread. :D
Erm. I stated from the start that I was pushing algae based biofuels from the first thread. Moreover a law was passed years ago dictating the need for 25% biofuel composition.

And unlike some people, I like to be realistic on research timings, and I don't like to pretend things can appear at a fickle of a thumb.. like hoping that say polywell can turn in net power production and that say 3He fusion can be achieved within a decade that easily.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

There! Buy our stuff! BUY IT RIGHT NOW!!!
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Bah, damned UCAVs. What is this, Ace Combat 3?! :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Steve wrote:Bah, damned UCAVs. What is this, Ace Combat 3?! :P
F-35! Buy it now! Well, I know you have, but Crossroads should as well. 5th gen, for export! Carrier, CTOL, and STOVL.
Lonestar wrote:the MQ-47C
Beowulf will be along shortly to kill you for not referring to it as the MQ-19. :D

(I wouldn't worry though; I already make him twitch over my F/A-35 :twisted: ).
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

RogueIce wrote:
F-35! Buy it now! Well, I know you have, but Crossroads should as well. 5th gen, for export! Carrier, CTOL, and STOVL.
You mean the MSF-15N. :wink:

Granted, the RCAF did it's own thing and developed the ASF-18 and ASF-20 (based on the XF-32 and YF-23 respectively) in the time frame of the late late 90s to 2012.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

RogueIce wrote: Beowulf will be along shortly to kill you for not referring to it as the MQ-19. :D

And AV-35 :)
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Remember Steve, the Pacunion has a baby UCAV program (or atleast Alaska did)
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

MariusRoi wrote:
Remember Steve, the Pacunion has a baby UCAV program (or atleast Alaska did)
Probably got folded into the new PacUnion Defense Department.

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Lonestar wrote:
RogueIce wrote: Beowulf will be along shortly to kill you for not referring to it as the MQ-19. :D

And AV-35 :)
I won't kill you. If I do that, you can't learn. *breaks out the teaching sticks*
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:And unlike some people, I like to be realistic on research timings, and I don't like to pretend things can appear at a fickle of a thumb.. like hoping that say polywell can turn in net power production and that say 3He fusion can be achieved within a decade that easily.
People much smarter than me believe that polywell can manage to achieve break-even fusion. The real EMC2 corporation believes that it has sufficient knowledge of the scaling factors to be able to do it right now if they could get the funding. The USN has given funding as well as $2 million in the stimulus act. The proposed method to avoid neutron activation is not He3, but rather PB11 fusion. In game, they got a lot higher funding, and were able to demonstrate the technology sooner.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Beowulf wrote:People much smarter than me believe that polywell can manage to achieve break-even fusion. The real EMC2 corporation believes that it has sufficient knowledge of the scaling factors to be able to do it right now if they could get the funding. The USN has given funding as well as $2 million in the stimulus act. The proposed method to avoid neutron activation is not He3, but rather PB11 fusion. In game, they got a lot higher funding, and were able to demonstrate the technology sooner.
3He doesn't produce neutrons, it produces protons which can be contained a lot more adequately. Proton-Boron on the other hand needs much higher temperatures to get there. That doesn't imply, that the technology is capable of scaling up to the levels required to provide net fusion and no where have they come close. So far, Polywell has shown to be an efficient neutron producer at the small scale. I'd wait for whether they would even succeed with a larger device.

Polywell is just a glorified Penning Ion Trap (which I bet you don't even know what the hell that is) with very tight confinement and deep trap depth. But ion traps (or at least the small Pauli ones I have seen and worked) have been known to have very queer habits at the extreme scales which is why work on micro traps continues at NIST and they aren't even perfected yet. Worst still you are now talking about a large plasma which exerts a huge magnetic field and electric field and scaling that up means a correspondingly larger. And then in turn a fething large faraday cage.

Science is littered with too many optimists and too many good salesmen, and too many damn simulations that have a knack for missing important perimeters. String theory was all the rage 10 years ago, and hey look, nothing much has been achieved beyond some optimistic projections and a few very good salesmen overselling the damn science and screwing over too many graduate students who probably are better off as mathematicians rather than physicists (and many are probably biophysicists right now).
Kreia
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

PeZook wrote:There! Buy our stuff! BUY IT RIGHT NOW!!!
Looks liek you've been doing some industrial espionage for mah MQ-8D :(
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Of course :D

But seriously, I had no idea you were using the same pic, so I guess it's just a similar thingy developed independently.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

PeZook wrote:Of course :D

But seriously, I had no idea you were using the same pic, so I guess it's just a similar thingy developed independently.

The problem is that there are only so many pictures out there...
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Lonestar wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Eh.. What the heck? What kind of brainwashing technique is this? Does it even work?!
ITT we learn that while Zombies and Vampires are acceptable, Clockwork Orange is not. :D
Whoever said they were acceptable, either? :roll:
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Well, our first mod opened the door to a particular kind of vampire, and then everyone decided to do the "rage Virus" stuff as well....

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Steve wrote:Well, our first mod opened the door to a particular kind of vampire, and then everyone decided to do the "rage Virus" stuff as well....
Well, if this "pulling out of the hat" continues, what next? A rage virus that spreads through air?
Kreia
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Isn't that what the one everyone talks about does?

And I did try to argue against it but Shroom and a couple others had to have their RAGE ZOMBIES and stuff. :P

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Steve wrote:Isn't that what the one everyone talks about does?
Err, no?

There's the Astarian zombie fever pathogen, which insofar as I know is supposed to be born of the mix of chemical and biological cocktails in which Astaria was showered but which isn't airborne, and there's the U4 substance developed by SinTEK, which is a chemical weapon, not a virus.

People seem to use 'rage zombie' to refer to both, but U4 doesn't turn people into 'zombies', it turns them hyperaggressive for a while but as PeZook's post shows its effects wear off after a while.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ryan Thunder wrote: Whoever said they were acceptable, either? :roll:
ITT we also learn that Ryan doesn't fucking read the STGOD threads worth a damn.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Steve wrote:Isn't that what the one everyone talks about does?

And I did try to argue against it but Shroom and a couple others had to have their RAGE ZOMBIES and stuff. :P
Rage "zombies" are basically just people with SUPER RABIES who impulsively try to infect others by means of biting them and transmitting PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS. If it can happen to dogs and other animuls, why not people? Of course, since it's like a bioweapon or something, its virulence would be higher - meaning the infection would take effect faster and would be more contagious.

It doesn't bring the dead back to life at all. Compared to this vampire cyborg werewolf chopper dave stuff, this is downright realistic. :P

EDIT:

Hey, does anyone know what kind of 1960s-era Soviet fighter plane could be plausibly repurposed for carrier aviation? Stas has suggested the MiG-19, but I want MOAR!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Lonestar, that's brilliant. An attack by "somebody from the North" :D.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes