SDNWorld Redux - Casting Call & Planning

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I thought you were joking at first Phong.

oh BTW why did you guys target my CIVILIAN Northern zone, and leave my Militarized Southern Desert Region completely intact?

you realize I did build the main military bases in the south so that attacks wouldn't fall on my mostly civilian north? I have my equivalents of NORAD, and advanced military think tanks in the south, just so that in the event of a Shep/Lonestar mix up, my civilian causualties would be in the minimum, also I have the largest lets just build a big blimp that's a giant EW platform, and missile/nuke magnet on purpose.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:I thought you were joking at first Phong.

oh BTW why did you guys target my CIVILIAN Northern zone, and leave my Militarized Southern Desert Region completely intact?
EDIT: See the main OOC thread.
Last edited by phongn on 2008-07-08 08:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I'm right next to Shepnukistan, so I'll probably end up neck deep in fallout. I sure hope the winds blow west.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Setzer wrote:I'm right next to Shepnukistan, so I'll probably end up neck deep in fallout. I sure hope the winds blow west.
I had them blowing East, to cover me with nasty fallout (precipitating the IRT's entry into the war) ... so, um, sorry man.
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

You know, while I'd be happy to go along with a simple Shepnukistan-less SDN World, the idea of having a new one that's set in the very early 1900s is growing on me, for the following reasons.

1: No nukes, and no ability to create them, avoiding all the issues that they cause.

2: FLEETS OF HUGE BATTLESHIPS FTW!!! :P

3: A change of style from the previous STGOD.

4: It's subjective, but I personally like that time period alot.
Visitor of five museum ships.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Coiler wrote:1: No nukes, and no ability to create them, avoiding all the issues that they cause.
Theoretically, you COULD create an atomic bomb, except it would be the size of a railroad boxcar, and would have to be emplaced.....Der Kaiser Atomminen for the win!
Coiler wrote:2: FLEETS OF HUGE BATTLESHIPS FTW!!! :P
FTW!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

phongn wrote:
Setzer wrote:I'm right next to Shepnukistan, so I'll probably end up neck deep in fallout. I sure hope the winds blow west.
I had them blowing East, to cover me with nasty fallout (precipitating the IRT's entry into the war) ... so, um, sorry man.
Gaahhh!! You bastard! Here I was, hoping that if I just bided my time, you idiots would wipe each other out...

Anyhow, I reiterate my desire for something classical, or medieval. It just seems more romantic somehow.
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

I've posted a poll for the time period people would like it set in.
Visitor of five museum ships.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

I personally like the idea of having a total reboot, rather than just kicking Shep out and going on as before. Then we can have more land, NPC shithole nations to ess with, etc. I'd prefer modern tech, but if people want to do !930's or so tech that is cool with me too, though determining tech progression could be time consuming.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I would rather have modern tech, and to start around circa 2000.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I also would prefer a modern tech level.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I vote for modern Tech.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

So um... the world kinda survived.

Shep moved it 40 years onward. UAR, North BR, IRT and Wilkonia, and Quidlinuv and Neverhood (East Neverhood) have been contaminated with the resulting total loss of life (well, Wilkonia could stage a massive population exodus, but probably not more than 10 million Wilkonians could've been saved), but after 40 years, their territories are open for attempts to re-colonize. The UAR itself has been massively killed.

The question is, do we play and restore the old world, or do we make a new one?

I'm supportive towards both options actually.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Well, no one nuked Byzantium, so we still retain the knowledge of the world circa 2012.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Modern tech since we could focus on the diplomacy and stuff.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I would like a 1950's level tech, but barring that, I say modern.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Definitely modern tech
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Coyote wrote:You just want to think about Zero-Gee Rumpy-Pumpy.

That's okay. I think about it a lot too.
Ah mang you know me too well. :lol:

For me it just wouldn't be SD.net World, without modern tech.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

If we are to play a new game, we would need a new global map. I've actually grew rather attracted to map-making and can do it fast and with any measure of detail one might need.

However, I just need to warn you all guys, that this very Friday I go on vacation until the 18 of August. I will have a wedding and then a huge round-trip around the former USSR.

That means I won't be accessible for the game until mid-August - which is when I propose we could start the SDN World: Reloaded.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

If there is going to be Saddamistan 2.0, i don't want to be near it.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Stas Bush wrote:If we are to play a new game, we would need a new global map. I've actually grew rather attracted to map-making and can do it fast and with any measure of detail one might need.

However, I just need to warn you all guys, that this very Friday I go on vacation until the 18 of August. I will have a wedding and then a huge round-trip around the former USSR.

That means I won't be accessible for the game until mid-August - which is when I propose we could start the SDN World: Reloaded.
That's ok. We can do little stories and stuff to wrap up SDN World of old. Besides, we'll still be hashing this out for a bit I suspect. :)

Although I rather like the idea of remaking SDN World of old minus the nuclear war. Saves the effort of all my old spreadsheets and everything. :D

Perhaps instead of a massive first strike, his populace finally decided enough was enough and we get a real civil war, except this time government forces lose and the new nation decides to eschew their massive nuclear weapons? Given them to the MESS and FUN to dispose of.

This causes a split with the UAR obviously. Whether Saddamistan goes back to isolationist or decided to hang on to Coilerburg remains to be seen. In the meantime, the Neverhood gets reunified. No Phong, you don't get to take over and plunder their resources. :P But we do renegotiate your mining contracts for you (punishment for the Diocese situation :D ).

Pretty much everything else goes on as it was before. Thoughts?

EDIT: Added some emphasis to renegotiate to make it clearer that no, it won't be on favorable terms for the IRT. :twisted:
Last edited by RogueIce on 2008-07-09 05:12am, edited 1 time in total.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

As it stands, I say we stage a hostile takeover of IRT incorporated and buy out all their shares on the stock market.

And presto, we own the country, without even firing a missile. :P
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I'm in favour of a new global map. Proximity could be discussed, but seriously, the GDP differences should be smoothed out and continental borders placed.

The Zor situation created the Archipelago Doctrine: due to massive populations, but small GDPs, occupation of any nation is impossible unless on total war footing; large Navy AND Army are required for any occupier.

Occupation became untenable; everyone centered on destroying strategic assets of the enemy until it became clear the UAR was preaching a "nuclear destruction of the enemy's military in otal" as doctrine, which lead to assymetric retaliation doctrine of mass murdering everyone in the UAR regardless of their military potential remaining operative, and the soil being utterly contaminated for no further possible use.

Also, we would cut the slack of inactive players (buye Syndromia) and probably recuit new players, which would give some new blood into the game, and save us the bother of RPing old and unnecessary territories.

Assalti Frontali
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Despite what I said above, I still like the idea of a reboot, perhaps with NPC rogue states.

We could give those to Shep, Coiler, and maybe Skimmer if he wants to play again. That way we wouldn't have to automagically ban nuclear weapons somehow, because most everyone else was reasonable about them (though you'd have to start from scratch as with SDN World). The limiting factor they get is that they're kinda like third world shitholes of varying types, thus nuclear weapon production is simply infeasible for those rogue states.

So we wouldn't have to worry about "Nuke the World" for a good 30 years or so, at the soonest. At least not from Shep and company. :) I suppose they could try to buck the world and do bio and chem weapons, but their delivery systems would be such and the distances such that they couldn't really hurt the "developed" world, though they could start shit with their other "undeveloped" neighbors.

So what do you all think? I'm sure Shep and Coiler can have fun playing tinpot dictators, and we don't have to worry about Shep getting nukey nukey because well, he couldn't. Although this requires fair play Shep; those tinpots won't all band together. They'll be at each other's throats more often than not, in true tinpot dictator fashion. :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

RogueIce wrote:I suppose they could try to buck the world and do bio and chem weapons, but their delivery systems would be such and the distances such that they couldn't really hurt the "developed" world, though they could start shit with their other "undeveloped" neighbors.
I shall make Darfur look like a cakewalk, with dusty anthrax and thickened soman attacks; and the world will do nothing as tons of people die :twisted:

Coiler can be my trusted lackey, as the Shepistan Intelligence Service (SIS) head; responsible for assassinations of rogue Shepistani dissidents in downtown Pezookia. :lol:
Last edited by MKSheppard on 2008-07-09 05:23am, edited 1 time in total.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944