Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Re: SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread IX

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Beowulf wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
RogueIce wrote:Hey Fin, if you're getting rid of your F-22Bs... *smiles sweetly* :wink:
Bleah.. I sold a few of these damn things.. I guess you can take them. 108-72 = 36 of them. There's still 72 left to be gotten rid of.
I'll pick up half the remaining, and Ice will get the other half. Sound good?
I guess it is possible... But I will only release them next year, if you don't mind waiting.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

CmdrWilkens wrote:As an addendum the "Talk" pages are always available to indicate objections and such (well the board is available for that as well).

Also Siege two things:

1) If you reduced your LHD to razorblades and rebuilt it as a CVA/CVL that would be at least a 4+ year project.

2) You aunched your secon module on June 15th or roughly 6 months ago and have added the third now plus regular supply routings. This would be 3 modules in orbit more than a year faster than was performed IRL (which means extra cost) along with minimal, at best, partner financing. In turn this means that the NFT has in the last year taken on an annualized additional cost of, roughly, $5 Bn most of which would be front loaded in terms of construction instead of operations meaning in the past year you've probably had to spend upwards of $10Bn on top of your additional programs.

In other words I'm calling bullshit on you being able to pay for both the space station AND the S-3. Your GDP is comparable to that of Japan (a fair portion of which is derieved from the still relatively recent inclusion of other nations into what was once San Dorado) and yet you are somehow paying for an entire space station AND your orbital bomber program in addition to the rest of your military programs (IADS and the like).
To be fair he is getting some funding and development support on military projects via Indhopal as we have continued some joint projects from the FTO days. The space station is funded all by himself as far as I know though.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Crossroads Inc. wrote:hey man, i was IN the fvery first SDnet world, I have a knack for nations and politics, IE, not getting nuked.
Well, if you kept up with the game.....

Actually, Shep pretty much nuked almost everyone, just for fun.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
I was too small to notice and thus escaped destruction that time around....
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Well, if you kept up with the game.....
No on ever noticed me much, I tried to keep up, But I never seemed to get involved in all the big stuff involved and slipped away.,.. But hey, Im always up to trying again, Ive got a good nation.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Raj Ahten wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
I think some of his bomber pilots were like, "Hey what is that tiny speck of an island?"

"I'm not sure. Just drop a few bombs, just to be sure."

:lol: I think that happened to... whatisitsname Coilerburg!
Kreia
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Siegetank: I hear you're going to make a CVL out of a Wasp-class LHD. I've done something similar with that class of LHD (well, technically the Makin Island subclass as I bought the design from the West and then modified it), and I'm willing to offer my help and some suggestions.

Mine were built from the keel up with deck sponsons (to allow the angled deck and to allow the island to be moved somewhat further to starboard), arrestor wires and a pair of catapults (not the four seen on full-size American carriers) and a pair of hull-plug extensions, as seen on Tian Xia's LHD-11 (TXS Chatham Isle, which I actually designed back in the bad old days of being the Mad Duke), to allow an expansion of the hangar without compromising the well-deck, which was deemed necessary and therefore led to the LVA (landing, aviation, assault) moniker.

EDIT: It should be noted that my LVAs are designed to maintain the 'amphibious mothership' role while also being able to support fixed-wing CATOBAR aircraft to provide air cover and CAS for landing troops without requiring a full second carrier. Mine carry as standard a squadron of 12 fighters and some models of Osprey as support, plus a reduced helicopter group to ferry troops and supplies to shore. Yours, however, will be able to carry as many as forty or fifty fighters, depending on how many you're willing and able to store on deck.

Given that you're modifying an already-extant LHD, I suggest the following (in approximate order);

-Manufacture and install a hull plug extension (look up "LHA Plug-Plus" and read the globalsecurity stuff) to allow an expansion of the flight deck
-Manufacture and install an angled-deck extension, similar to those seen on refitted Essex and Midway-class CVs from WW2 (pretty straightforward)
-Seal up the well-deck entry and convert that space and the vehicle decks into more hangar space and storage for munitions and fuel a la the America-class (you may have to install an internal lift to get stuff from the former welldeck to the the main hangar level, on which they can be armed and then sent up to the flight deck)
-Procure (through whatever means you like) a set of arrestor wires and a number of catapults (as many as three - two at the bow and one on the port angle sponson) and install
-Convert former troop bunking into bunking for the airwing crew
-Repaint
-Recomission

Add airwing, stir, let cool, and enjoy! :D
tiny friendly crab.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Eh.. PeZook, short of Syria conquering the area around Jerusalem, there isn't a Damascus harbour. Of course, there is the Mesopotamia area...

Regarding Siege's space station, some of this is drawn from CATO's internal funding.
Holy shit, you're right!

That was one hell of a brain fart :D

It will take some retconning. A lot of retconning. Can't we just move SDN world's Damascus to the shore? :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
I think some of his bomber pilots were like, "Hey what is that tiny speck of an island?"

"I'm not sure. Just drop a few bombs, just to be sure."

:lol: I think that happened to... whatisitsname Coilerburg!
Actually, wasn't Coilerburg a member of Shep's UAR organization and thus a priority target? It was actually Stas that had Coilerburg glassed once the nukes started flying, if I remember correctly. It was another Duchy whose name I forgot that Shep had nuked mainly for shits and giggles.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

PeZook wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Eh.. PeZook, short of Syria conquering the area around Jerusalem, there isn't a Damascus harbour. Of course, there is the Mesopotamia area...

Regarding Siege's space station, some of this is drawn from CATO's internal funding.
Holy shit, you're right!

It will take some retconning. A lot of retconning. Can't we just move SDN world's Damascus to the shore? :D
"In 1509 AD, The Sultancaliph ordered the entire city of Damascus placed on wheels and moved to the shore so he could use his new boat..."
tiny friendly crab.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook wrote:

Holy shit, you're right!

There are like.. God knows how many cities in SDNWorld Iraq that are along the coast... just pick one.
Kreia
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Basrah! Umm Qasr!
tiny friendly crab.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:Actually, wasn't Coilerburg a member of Shep's UAR organization and thus a priority target? It was actually Stas that had Coilerburg glassed once the nukes started flying, if I remember correctly. It was another Duchy whose name I forgot that Shep had nuked mainly for shits and giggles.
No clue man. All I knew was nukes were flying left right center.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: There are like.. God knows how many cities in SDNWorld Iraq that are along the coast... just pick one.
Yeah, but then I'd have to edit God knows how many posts :P

EDIT:Ah, fine. I'll just use Tripoli :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

CmdrWilkens wrote:No private corporation has that kind of capital sitting around and able to invest while waiting for a market to appear.
These are San Doradan megacorps. It's impossible to say where the corporation stops and the goverment begins, considering the corporation is part of the goverment and vice versa.
Again there is no market outside fo the government for a project where the startup costs are in the multi-billions and the return on investment is AT LEAST adecade and a half down the road.
How fortunate then that Ralson Concerns has a prominent place on the the Board of Directors of San Dorado.

Meanwhile I say that the S-1 and S-2 parts of the program are already moderately profitable, what with Baerne, Indhopal and Shroomania, not to mention private companies like Pegasus, buying dozens of orbiters, plus launch equipment, plus rockets, plus the licensing deal we signed with FASTA which is bound to net the corporation a few bucks as well. Considering this Ralson Concerns fully expects to make a killing the minute they establish their monopoly on SSTO flight. And why not? They've got buyers lining up already.
Nobody was getting into the game when they would have had to build the entire infrastructure from the ground up.
Who cares if that's what happened in real life? This isn't our world. In our world a state like San Dorado and a corporation like Ralson Concerns do not exist. Besides, I'm not even going to defend whatever choices Sam Ralson happened to have made in the past. It doesn't really matter that it's expensive at this stage; I know it is, but arguing that 'no company would do this' when they've been doing it in this game for a decade is at this stage pretty pointless as far as criticism goes.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: There are like.. God knows how many cities in SDNWorld Iraq that are along the coast... just pick one.
Yeah, but then I'd have to edit God knows how many posts :P

EDIT:Ah, fine. I'll just use Tripoli :D
I think Tripoli area is technically Byzantine at this point... Our land stretches all the way down to Israel, before running into Arabia.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Just call it Damascus, PeZook. I think Czech's idea of the Sultancaliph wanting to try a new boat and moving the city to the shore is an interesting angle on SDNWorld history.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

SO exactly what all should I try andcatch up on if I wanted back into this Mang?
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Well you could probably go with the idea that your main leader or one of your characters remember little bits of the old game if you wanted to go that route.

On the other hand you could start afresh and just go from there. New players are always welcome and we are setting up new countries and such.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Yeah.. just find a nice spot to stuff your crap there...
Kreia
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Well he does not have to use the new countries if he does not wish to. I never thought new players joining were a problem. :/
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Last time I had a nice respectable island about yay big:

Thing I kin just sorrta stuff that in a welcoming bit of ocean or what not,
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

We're sticking new stuff in the map anyway, finding a cozy spot for your island shouldn't be a problem. Though what's specified on that image is a bit small GDP-wise... You probably qualify for double that at least.

Oh, and it's always good to see another incorporated nation pop up. Warms the cockles of my cold capitalist heart, it does :D.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Well, rules are different now. You can change it as you see fit.
Kreia
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Raj Ahten wrote:To be fair he is getting some funding and development support on military projects via Indhopal as we have continued some joint projects from the FTO days. The space station is funded all by himself as far as I know though.
I don't doubt that but, and my point remains, that even with Indhopal and others signing on the S-3 program would consume a huge portion of his defense spending. Assuming that Shrommia and Indhopal are both helping to finance the S-3 project that still requires somebody outlay the tens of billions neccessarry for this kind of development project. There is no way its corporate (as I pointed out) because of the sunk cost and lack of return so it has to be government expenditure and in turn the economies suppporting this expenditure are not large enough to fund such high speed development without seriously reducing all other short and medium term R&D.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven