SD.net: Lords of Darkness (RAR!) Mk-II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Re: SD.net: Lords of Darkness (RAR!) Mk-II

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Vehrec wrote:My cubic meter of stuff will of course contain all the survivalist handbooks for reestablishing civilization I can find, a history of the construction, methods and surveying of the Erie canal, and foodstuffs in the form of tomatoes, potatoes, sweet and dent maize, wheat, barley, onions, beans, and whatever else I can get my hands on. 500 cows switch out for each of 1000 pigs, goats, sheep, chickens, and another 1000 pigs because I fucking love pork.
Do you really need all that paperstuff? We do have magic laptops with magic internet.
Serafina wrote:Um...thats me.
I was wondering who you were pre-name change. Coolness.

Crossroads, how strong are ogres? I'm guessing that they can't double as trebuchets, but could they chuck dead cattle over walls? Also, how do centaurs stack against human archers? They're stronger, so obviously they have greater range, but do they have better vision and accuracy to take advantage of that?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Crossroads, how strong are ogres? I'm guessing that they can't double as trebuchets, but could they chuck dead cattle over walls? Also, how do centaurs stack against human archers? They're stronger, so obviously they have greater range, but do they have better vision and accuracy to take advantage of that?
We are going by LOTR Ogres, the big ones that can smash trees an people an such. The damage they do and the damage they take from the movie is fairly consistent and isn't too far fetched for a beast of that size.

Oh yes, I also finally started a thread in STGOD, and everyone whose interested should post over there so we have a full list of active players.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Vehrec wrote: Raesene, you want any boats built? You've got a better position to exploit that resource, but I've got the bigger support base.
I'm open for trade agreements, I'm not interested in Cod Wars (until I have a real navy ;-))

I was thinking about taking New York, but decided I want to stay more out of the way. I'll expand into Canada/Northern New England.
One problem I noticed when looking up the St. Lawrence River are the Lachine Rapids. They prevent the direct navogation of the complete river, and I do not have the resources to build the canal - yet. Maybe a collaborative effort by the Northeast Americans ?

I can offer various foodstuff, salt, fish, lumber and probably paper and charcoal as trade goods, and am interested in metal, ore, textiles and anything interesting you can offer.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:We are going by LOTR Ogres, the big ones that can smash trees an people an such. The damage they do and the damage they take from the movie is fairly consistent and isn't too far fetched for a beast of that size.
Cool, so they're primarily siege units.

Also, what limits are there for fortress design, other than the wall specs? I'm thinking of making a almost entirely underground fortress with entrances scattered around the area, with the visible fortress acting as a decoy.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Secularism—since AD 80
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Underground fortresses were not exactly popular for a good reason.
No such thing as medieval oxygen tank. Any rival Overlord can simply pile flammable material atop your fortress's exit and air-shafts and asphyxiate your troops in place. What a wonderful idea an underground complex until you wonder how exactly your going to breath down there.

Keep in mind even during the Civil war digging down deep enough to matter and still getting Oxygen to Miners was a very serious issue and one of the main reasons mines got much more active around the turn of the century when steam power let them install blowers in mine-shafts.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Curses, foiled again. Ah well, it seemed like a good idea.
Secularism—since AD 80
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Also, what limits are there for fortress design, other than the wall specs? I'm thinking of making a almost entirely underground fortress with entrances scattered around the area, with the visible fortress acting as a decoy.
It all depends on how good you are at designing a functional castle/fortress. Most of us are plucking pre-existing castles out of the time line because, well, I really wouldn't know how to design one of my own and make it look believable. If you want to give it a crack just be sure to provide lots of diagrams and schematics.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Castle Ravenloft comes to mind for me.. mahahah
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

Weird thought I had today: 1350 ought to be early enough for us to be able to save a number of species from extinction in this alternate timeline. Moas (certain species, anyway) and thylacines come to mind in the Australia/New Zealand area, the North American contingent can make some effort to preserve the passenger pigeons, if anybody sets down in Madagascar they can try to save the elephant bird, and so on.

Anybody else up for putting some effort into such a thing? :P
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

What the hell part of LORDS OF DARKNESS don't you people understand?

We're using Orcs and Goblins, not Gnomes and Elves!

Where SUPPOSED TO BE EVIL.

Saving a species? WHAT, THE, HELL?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Perhaps they taste well ? :twisted:

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

Solauren wrote:What the hell part of LORDS OF DARKNESS don't you people understand?

What, you don't want to save the elephant bird and then selectively breed it to make something like a chocobo for your orcs? :P

Also, where =/= we're, learn English.
And the OP says nothing about us being evil.
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Styphon wrote:And the OP says nothing about us being evil.
My mutant swan creatures will contain the same fraction of evil, by weight, as the original species they are derived from. :)
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Starglider wrote:
Styphon wrote:And the OP says nothing about us being evil.
My mutant swan creatures will contain the same fraction of evil, by weight, as the original species they are derived from. :)
Swans can be nasty.
Are your Flyers intelligent or more like draft animals ? I couldn't find the post where you describe them and give the stats.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Solauren wrote:What the hell part of LORDS OF DARKNESS don't you people understand?

Oh yes indeed. That's a real Tiger rug your standing on. And baby seal throw pillows thank you Gragramash for clubbing each one of those by hands. Over there we have the pits of unspeakable vileness which also double as the local Jail headed up by Zulbar the Unclean, say hello Zulbar. And yes he is Pine fresh, nothing thirty car air freshers can't solve even with a Orc who deserves the name the Unclean.

But saving Messenger Pigeons are useful as you know, they can carry messages. And the Elefent Bird will go great in the Persephone Fun-time Amusement Park and Rare Animal Imaginarium.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thread moved to STGOD forum for reference

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

I'll consider this thread the Lord of Darkness-forum ;-)
As I've establisehd my castle, anyone in the vicinity who wants to trade should send me a flier to establish contact. My scouts on foot will take some time to reach someone (Crossroads, Dave, Vehrec, Consequences and Almightyboredone especially if they are playing and interested in trade).

I'm sort of frozen in until March or so ;-)

Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

School and fraternity life keep me quite busy, so updates may be sporadic from me.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Darth Yoshi, what exactly are you going to use that source of electrical power for at this point?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Zor wrote:Darth Yoshi, what exactly are you going to use that source of electrical power for at this point?

Zor
To quote the Hotspot. Puppy burning furnaces. The cute ones burn the hottest you know.

*Edit that wonderful image
http://www.gamespot.com/images/0/viewer ... screen.jpg

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

:lol:

Actually, the hydroelectric generator is being used to power lights, the woodshop, and the radio batteries I brought over. The windmill generator currently isn't being built, but as soon as I have enough cabling to make a second generator worthwhile, it'll support a radio tower. I'm also thinking of setting up a printing press, although printing Chinese will be a pain in the ass without proper automation. Should've brought a printer and let R&D try to McGuyver an alternate system for inkjet. *shrugs*
Secularism—since AD 80
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Darth Yoshi wrote::lol:

Actually, the hydroelectric generator is being used to power lights, the woodshop, and the radio batteries I brought over. The windmill generator currently isn't being built, but as soon as I have enough cabling to make a second generator worthwhile, it'll support a radio tower. I'm also thinking of setting up a printing press, although printing Chinese will be a pain in the ass without proper automation. Should've brought a printer and let R&D try to McGuyver an alternate system for inkjet. *shrugs*
Makes me glad i am going with the standard English varient of the Roman Alphabet.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Question: How much time has past now since 'Day 1'?

I feel an idea for a rp forming, but I need a time scale.

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Solauren wrote:Question: How much time has past now since 'Day 1'?

I'd have no problem with the timeline jumping to spring (April 1st ?) - I'm frozen in place until then, and my minions can only fell trees, experiment with skies and sledges and train with their weapons
My scouts are moving, but it's a few 1000 km until they reach one of you, that will take several weeks.

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Zor wrote:Makes me glad i am going with the standard English varient of the Roman Alphabet.

Zor
*shakes head sadly* Foiled by my own genius... :D
Solauren wrote:Question: How much time has past now since 'Day 1'?

Well, my second entry was supposed to be set sometime during spring that year, although Zor posted an intro after. If no one else minds, we could just move the timeframe up to spring 1350 and go from there, since it doesn't look like anyone else will be joining in.
Secularism—since AD 80