SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Also, Stas; I'm saddened that you didn't even spot the tip of the hat to you guys regarding the Crabbe incident. :cry:

Link
In 1956 MI6 recruited Crabb to investigate the Soviet cruiser Ordzhonikidze that had brought Nikita Khrushchev and Nikolai Bulganin on a diplomatic mission to Britain. According to Peter Wright in his book 'Spycatcher', Crabb was sent to try and find more information out about the Ordzhonikidze's propeller - a new design that Naval Intelligence wanted to find out more about. In April 19, 1956 Crabb dived into Portsmouth Harbour and his MI6 controller never saw him again. Crabb's companion in the Sally Port Hotel took all his belongings and even the page of the hotel registry book where they had written their names. Ten days later British newspapers published stories about Crabb's disappearance in an underwater mission.

MI6 tried to cover up this espionage mission. On April 29 the Admiralty announced that Crabb had vanished when he had taken part in trials of secret underwater apparatus in Stokes Bay. Soviets answered by releasing a statement stating that the crew of the Ordzhonikidze had seen a frogman near the cruiser on April 19.
'cept this Crabb was a bit more successful and managed to knock a SSAN out of the war before he was water-grenaded
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

MKSheppard wrote:Flag of Convience people, say it with me. :wink:
So you think an Astarian flag would be convenient? Shep it's so bad that our ships use YOUR flag in order to visit the border states. As in the case with the slavers that grabbed those Pezookians. Many places flat out bar Astarian ships and airplanes from entering their coastal waters.
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

You know, the IRT probably does trade with you.
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

phongn wrote:You know, the IRT probably does trade with you.
That would explain how I can manage $56B in imports :) Mostly electronics and fine machinery I'd imagine. In return for which you might receive a lot of really cut rate but high quality agricultural products. I fear that we'd have to barter, or that I'd have to sell my produce and then buy your stuff with your currency. Astarian money is not easily exchangeable elsewhere.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Shep, I can barely read through posts in my worktime :) please remember.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Stas Bush wrote:Shep, I can barely read through posts in my worktime :) please remember.
Would the Crimson Star Republic have supported communist insurgents in Velaria during the 1950s and upwards? How extensive would such support have been, and would it have died down during the 80s and 90s?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

the same thing that the IRT is doing for both sides in this war
The IRT are actually our ideological enemies, so... :P

And the IRT didn't call for cessation of hostilities, etc ;) After all, if you are a war profiteer, at least be honest. ;) Japanistan has no honor.
Would the Crimson Star Republic have supported communist insurgents in Velaria during the 1950s and upwards?
Yes. In the mid-1980s, no. In 2008-2009 - now and in the future, it could re-surge support... ;)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Actually...if I remember correctly, if Shepistan pays for the torpedoes and buggers out of the port in 24 hours, Japanistan may have a leg to stand on WRT to claiming neutrality in the conflict.

Of course, it will be seen as kind of an assholish thing to do. And, of course, how come Japanistan conveniently has gigantic submarine pens that are accidentally big enough to house those ridiculously huge SSANs? :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

MOTHERFUCKER! The death of the Shroom Viking shall be avenged! Goddamn Shepistanis! WHORES WHORES WHORES!

Oh, and goddamn it! Shroomania is just across the "Central Sea" from New Sumatra. So if Shep's stupid submarine sank a ship named Shroom Viking right after re-arming in New Sumatra, then it probably committed the act somewhere near Shroomania itself.

WHORES!
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Moreover, there was the ongoing war between the MESS and Shepistan. Shroomania was trading with Canissia and several other MESS nations, including the Shinra Republic - which had just recently joined the war. Officially, Shroomania was neutral in regards to the war. Unofficially, Shroomania was shipping the MESS nation everything from band aids to bandoleers and battle bandannas (not to mention mechanical components for military machines).

Though the Shroomanian government chose not to make too much of a fuss in regards to these recent events, the Sovereignty was in fact taking precautionary measures to prevent, rather than cure, any potential unpleasantness.

The Sovereign Navy, and the Coast Guard, had upped the number of patrols. For one, it was an effort to curb illegal immigration - which was becoming an even bigger problem with each passing day, no thanks to the Shadows' forced deportation of 'undesirables' from their new territory. For two, the risk of Shepistani submarines attacking maritime merchant vessels was an ever-present one.
BLEEDING BREASTS!

Goddamn it! I hate you, Shep!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Wait...so:

1) what flag was it flying?
2) who did it really belong to
3) where was it sunk?
4) and was it empty or full?

1 and 2 are obviously important for diplomatic reasons, and we need to know 3 and 4 because sinking a full 230 thousand GRT supertanker in the Mediterrenean means an ecological catastrophe of EPIC proportions.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

If we go with Fingolfin's reasoning that 'Shroom' = Shroomanian, then it certainly won't be fun.

EDIT:

But Shep is, like, almost as bad as me when it comes to naming random things
'Shroom'. That Frogman wasn't even Shroomanian (as far as I know) and he had 'Shroomster' as a nickname or something. :P
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Unrestricted Submarine Warfare?

I wonder what Shepistan would think about "unrestricted carped bombing with cluster munitions" :lol:

P.S. Nice touch Shroom :)

Assalti Frontali
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I think Shep would be wise enough only to sink belligerent shipping, or shipping in MESS territorial waters.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I think Shep would be wise enough only to sink belligerent shipping
Side casualties always occur during UEW, at least as history shows. Mistakes etc. That can lead to war (and historically, it had such impact here and there, not critical perhaps but it existeD)

Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Given that Byzantium has one of the top 5 largest shipping fleet in the world, and that we have lots and lots of ships, I will have to take steps to guard ships.

Also, where did you sink the ship? Jolly well not be Byzantine waters.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

As a trading nation San Dorado operates a fair number of oil tankers and other cargo-ships, although nothing as big as the Jahre- sorry, Shroom Viking :). So it probably wasn't our boat (although the fact that ships are getting torpedo-ed left right and center probably has quite a few people's panties in a twist down in La Palma and Port Regal...)
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I think Shroomania would have a fleet matching Byzantium, maybe even exceeding it cause Shroomania is a Tsardom and it's also a bloody island connected to the OC by Chunnel - unlike Byzantium, which has land connections. Tonkin would probably beat both, since it's its own bloody continent and is a bloody hypercapitalistic wonderuland.

Byzantium is a MESS-nation and its near Japanistan, where the sub came from. So there is a chance that the ship got sunk in Byzantine waters. That, plus the 'Shroom' in the ship's name, makes for a very bad combination.

Then the ship had lots of oil. Goddamn it!

Shep, you just did a bad boo-boo. :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Shep, you just did a bad boo-boo. :P
I think Shep just assumed it was one of mine, without thinking it through. He probably figured that if it was my ship there'd be no consequences to sinking it. Which is probably true for various reasons. Heck, if it were one of mine I'm sure I'd be extorted for reperations right now, for environmental damage I mean.

However I'm not sure if Astaria operates any tankers, aside from T-2 tanker equivalents. Supertankers of any sort would be too big for any Astarian harbour, so would anything bigger than a handymax sized ship.

For the record does anyone think that there are any Astarian flagged foreign ships? That any country would view Astaria as a flag of convenience?
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

On an unrelated tangent, I've seen the name "Pendleton" thrown around in reference to Astaria several times. Now, I can't for the life of me figure out what that's a reference to, and I'm growing increasingly curious - can anyone help me out here?

EDIT: I don't think Astaria would be a good choice for a 'flag of convenience' type of place. Too many people dislike you guys. When San Doradan merchants don't want to be recognized as such they sail under the flag of the Costa de las Cinco Muertes: after all that's an unobtrusive, out-of-the-way kind of place with a weak central government. Nice and deniable, and no-one has any major difficulties with that nation.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

SiegeTank wrote:On an unrelated tangent, I've seen the name "Pendleton" thrown around in reference to Astaria several times. Now, I can't for the life of me figure out what that's a reference to, and I'm growing increasingly curious - can anyone help me out here?
You should have clicked the link in my signature ;) Everything from (and including) the Allan Whitcomb stories, to the DrakaFic stories involve Pendleton. The Allan Whitcomb stories are generally adventuring things.

This one is generally considered to be somewhat sapphic, but I can't see why.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Canissia is a big martitime trading nation with a long history of shipping (particularly those devious Caprican Merchants Guild types) but we don't do much with oil tankers. Especially not big supertankers. Not one of ours.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

I'm back!

A few days break was all I needed from the game. Now I'm back in control of Coilerburg.
Visitor of five museum ships.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Coiler wrote:I'm back!

A few days break was all I needed from the game. Now I'm back in control of Coilerburg.
Well good luck with the destroyed nation I've left you :twisted: !!!

Not much happened with Coilerburg actually. I just posted something about the peace conference between Coilerburg and Omango/Sabika.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Norseman wrote: However I'm not sure if Astaria operates any tankers, aside from T-2 tanker equivalents. Supertankers of any sort would be too big for any Astarian harbour, so would anything bigger than a handymax sized ship.
You can’t beat the economy of big tankers, and most modern supertanks tankers are already too large for anyone’s harbor anyway. They load and unload at offshore buoy terminals, or else huge jetties purpose built for them like what Iran has at Kharg Island.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

PeZook wrote:Actually...if I remember correctly, if Shepistan pays for the torpedoes and buggers out of the port in 24 hours, Japanistan may have a leg to stand on WRT to claiming neutrality in the conflict.
Torpedoes? What Torpedoes? The vessel took on only food, water and fuel sufficient to reach the nearest Shepistani naval base. It also most certainly did not take batteries of VX rockets onboard with which to conduct terror bombardments of orphanages and hospitals.

One thing Japanistan is doing however, is passing all the information garnished by its numerous reconnaissance planes to the Shepistani military in the interests of avoiding any unfortunate involvement of neutrals in the cross hairs. And its also so very perfectly legal to do so.

Of course, it will be seen as kind of an assholish thing to do. And, of course, how come Japanistan conveniently has gigantic submarine pens that are accidentally big enough to house those ridiculously huge SSANs? :P
Because I can use a caisson to divide the dry dock into two parts for use by my own smaller warships, which saves a huge amount of money on infrastructure vs. building two separate docks. That’s exactly what they do in real life, and it then leaves you with future flexibility unconstrained by docking limits.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956