Space STGOD planning.(2k9)

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Space STGOD planning.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, I'm pretty much ready to go now. Whenever you're ready to start this thing, I can post my Order of Battle and diplomatic introduction at any time.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

If you folks would approve of me running as GM/Mediator, I'd be ready to go too.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

I'm okay with Nephtys Gming. the important thing we still dont have is a nodemap for the playing field. Once we have that we can start filling it with empires and posting OOBs.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I am in. have not done an STGOD in a good long while.

Though I will be blunt, the background seems to be rather human centric, and I have zero intention of playing humans, and every intention of playing some sort of space reptile.

And I am fine with Nephtys GMing. So long as there is not a conspiracy involving the mod and several other players to rig the result of the STGOD like there was in STGOD2k3-4
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

The background mainly achieves the goals of A. making sure earth is a nonissue and B. making sure there's a Babylon five sorta station for diplomacy. Admittedly that comes off as human centric due to Earth being human though a lot of people will be playing alien races including myself. If you have suggestions for improving the backstory Alyrium we'd all enjoy you voicing them.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Darkevilme wrote:The background mainly achieves the goals of A. making sure earth is a nonissue and B. making sure there's a Babylon five sorta station for diplomacy. Admittedly that comes off as human centric due to Earth being human though a lot of people will be playing alien races including myself. If you have suggestions for improving the backstory Alyrium we'd all enjoy you voicing them.

The background is mostly fine. I just wanted to make sure that non-humans were included. There is nothing to say that a few pronouns couldnt be changed to include reptilian sentients and I am just as happy leaving that implied ;)

Will be writing my OOB on the plane... provided I dont sleep.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:The background is mostly fine. I just wanted to make sure that non-humans were included. There is nothing to say that a few pronouns couldnt be changed to include reptilian sentients and I am just as happy leaving that implied ;)

Will be writing my OOB on the plane... provided I dont sleep.
Yeah don't worry about humocentrism. My civ is going to have humans in it, but side by side with several other species.

After all, the Machine doesn't care what shape or color your DIRTY VILE FILTHY FLESH is, only that you're willing to shed it on your path to eternal life through the Machine.
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I'm playing. I assume that there weren't any changes from the rules posted on the last page? And how many points/ships do we get per turn?
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I will be playing. I have multiple OoB ideas, and would like to see what some other people are doing first. I want to do more Rping this time, and hopefully my primary ally won't drop out instantly this time.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

How are we about magic and stuff? I would like to play a magic race (just interchanging "magic" with "technology")...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Master_Baerne wrote:I'm playing. I assume that there weren't any changes from the rules posted on the last page? And how many points/ships do we get per turn?
No changes. We're gonna try using it without maintenance rules. You get 250 points of new ships or troops per turn.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Yep. What DarkEvil said. Also, you can convert troops to ships, or ships to troops for a 2:1 ratio, if you're so inclined. So a player can start with 1000/500 (ships/troops) as a balanced startup, or go to 1250/0, which means you only have freebie garrisons.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

One more question: does the GM also play as a nation, or do they just watch from outside and step in if their's trouble? I've seen examples of both, and I was just curious how this was going to be done here.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

By the way, I appologise for the human-centric backstory. I was trying to get it up before I went to bed, and since I'll be playing a primarily human civ, I may have been biased. If you guys want, I can post an improved version once the game starts.

Though I think I was also trying to avoid giving to much detail about the setting, since I didn't want to constrain the other players to much.

Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

The Romulan Republic wrote:One more question: does the GM also play as a nation, or do they just watch from outside and step in if their's trouble? I've seen examples of both, and I was just curious how this was going to be done here.
A GM would/should play out the non-player civs and the like. Especially if you try to invade or something like this ;)
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Dahak wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:One more question: does the GM also play as a nation, or do they just watch from outside and step in if their's trouble? I've seen examples of both, and I was just curious how this was going to be done here.
A GM would/should play out the non-player civs and the like. Especially if you try to invade or something like this ;)
If someone would start a map, I can add some non-expansionistic neutral races. Basically single-system or apolitical entities. They'd be great expansion fodder for an aggressor, or protectorate material for the benevolent big brothers/intervention types...
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Okay as programs useful to this havent been that forthcoming i'll use something crude and dice if that's okay with everyone. What's a good maximum number of nodes per system, ie how many systems should a system be connected to at most?
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I recommend three. Why? Because I like that number. Also because many more than that and you'd have either highways for the enemy or an impenetrable network of fortress worlds, depending on who controls the other nodes.
Conversion Table:

Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Okay one arguement for lower. My first idea was to go (1d6/2)+1 giving us 2-4 nodes per system. Anyone else want to make an arguement for higher?
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

Should we also start vaguely working out the initial diplomatic situation? I'm not sure that we really need to have our OOBs totally written up to do that...but then again I've only participated in one STGOD so...
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Sure but for that it would be helpful to know where everyone was in relation to eachother. Okay, 2-4 with a disposition of 50% 3 node junctions, 30% two node and 20% four node. I'll start manually making a nodemap for us....in gimp probably.

And update:
This map has 33 stars. Links between stars were initially done using dice to place what sort of node was on the end of each link but then i started interlinking and placing stars for convenience.
Good map? or do we need a bigger one?
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Some more nodes would be nice, I think. That leaves not much room for expansion, except at the expense of other players.

By the way, I'll be unable to post until January 4. There's a family reunion at a place without internet access.
Conversion Table:

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well if we keep it at half a dozen stars per player, and have what, ten players, we sure as hell will need a lot more. Even leaving out the non-player races.

Otherwise, the map's fine.

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

We can just start up Space Empires 4/5, and have it generate a large map of 100 stars with nodes :P
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Nephtys wrote:We can just start up Space Empires 4/5, and have it generate a large map of 100 stars with nodes :P
YES. So much simpler than making it yourself.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum