SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

SiegeTank wrote:We'd be more than happy to host the launch facilities. Despite our reputation, San Dorado is actually really a quite safe place to operate out of... Most of the time :wink:.
Well even if you don't get the FASTA contract I'd think San Dorado would be the place to launch FTO satelites.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Shroomania is closer. The equator actually bisects the IRT. Um... maybe somewhere in Arabia would be good too. San Dorado is also on the table.
Arabia will have a major military base to protect it soon.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Shroomania is closer. The equator actually bisects the IRT. Um... maybe somewhere in Arabia would be good too. San Dorado is also on the table.
Arabia will have a major military base to protect it soon.
And we can always supply additional security forces if need be. I am in favour of this location.

It is closer and a lot more secure then San Dorado, and we can protect it a lot better. Also I believe delivery of the various things needed for the launch site will be a lot easier if it is on the Old Continent.

Also: I think the border regions have been too peaceful lately, perhaps it is the quiet before the storm. :twisted:
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Damn it! With me out of the picture for two weeks, man...

I would've so ruled that naming contest.
Thank God for small favors. :P

ANyway, as usual my weekend time will be very limited. SO let's see if we can avoid major incidents when I'm offline?

I know it'll be a first, but it's worth a shot.

If something happens, I'll let Steve RP me for the Velestria area of operations (since we're basically operating hand-in-hand there anyway) and Coyote anywhere else. Just for today and tomorrow, really.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

This had to happen eventually. :twisted:
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Raj Ahten wrote:Well even if you don't get the FASTA contract I'd think San Dorado would be the place to launch FTO satelites.
Sweet. Well, we should get the FTO conference underway to talk about this and the other points -- who was hosting it again, and where? The President can fly from Farbanti right to wherever we're holding it.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Götterdämmerung der Über Chechnyanmensch!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

DarthShady wrote:This had to happen eventually. :twisted:
If the USSR so wish, two Roman Legions are ready to march into Zagor to give them a collective kick to the arse.

Roma Victor!
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
DarthShady wrote:This had to happen eventually. :twisted:
If the USSR so wish, two Roman Legions are ready to march into Zagor to give them a collective kick to the arse.

Roma Victor!
Of course, we shall coordinate with our allies and crush these upstarts. In the meanwhile the USSR will welcome your forces within our territory.( you can land your planes as well, this goes for all SNC members)
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Master_Baerne wrote:Does the ISCA still exist in any form?
We haven't gotten around to do that.
I didn't think so, Shrooms OOB just said that he was part of it, so I clarified. Thanks.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

SiegeTank
Two things, can you mark on a map where you landed forces, because I think I have a settlement in that area, also the conference will be held on Sheoth Isle in The Vineyards.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

DarthShady wrote:Of course, we shall coordinate with our allies and crush these upstarts. In the meanwhile the USSR will welcome your forces within our territory.( you can land your planes as well, this goes for all SNC members)
Forces are now in transit. Give us a target, we will simply pound them into submission.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Karmic Knight wrote:SiegeTank
Two things, can you mark on a map where you landed forces, because I think I have a settlement in that area.

Also the conference will be held on Sheoth Isle in The Vineyards.
Alright; I'm on my way there then.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

SiegeTank wrote:Image.
Well, you'll be dealing with my Settlement right near there, just on the other side of the river.

I also have ships patrolling the area, just so you know.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Karmic Knight wrote:Well, you'll be dealing with my Settlement right near there, just on the other side of the river.

I also have ships patrolling the area, just so you know.
Oh, that's perfectly alright. There's plenty of jungle for the both of us :).
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hrm... damn it. We need a location as close to the equator as possible.
Japanistan straddles the equator and would be happy to provide land to host an international space launch complex for peaceful purposes

How close in NASA's Florida launch site to the equator? Will Comona or San Dorado or Jerusalem be as close?
It’s a good 1800 miles too far north, north of the tropic of cancer in fact. Baikonur is even worse.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

due to your position, Shroom, Comona is about perfect. :D
tiny friendly crab.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Assuming that this world like Earth in terms of its inclination, here are the five major circles of latitude:

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I say we get to do our civilian and scientific launches in the IRT. Our military stuff can be done somewhere more... trustworthy. :P
Civilian launches will prove much more useful and profitable in the long run, so we have no issue with that.
Our IRT collaboration will probably make the Tonkinese like us some more - and then we can buy REAL ballistic missiles from them and shit. We might become their biggest customers! If they can sell to Shep and Lonestar, they can sell to us!
We'll sell to you anyways, but we can offer incentives for basing your civil and scientific launches in the IRT.
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:The Byzantine Empire and the CSR will quite likely object to overfraternisation with the enemy.
We're the enemy? :P Here I am offering a tailor-made launch site with launch kinematics better than anywhere save Japanistan or Velestria and you just have to insult the IRT :cry:
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Goddammit, why does this have to be a political decision? :P

On another note, PeZookia reacts to Zagor agression. By bombing the shit out of people.

I can only wonder what happens once Byzantine heavy forces enter the place :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Where are Zagor and this other state they're fighting?
tiny friendly crab.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Czechmate wrote:Where are Zagor and this other state they're fighting?
In the Border States.

Marina should be posting an updated official map with a blowup of the Border States quite soon.

EDIT: As a clarification, the Border States are between PeZookia, the CSR and the USSR, on the Old Continent.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Czechmate wrote:Where are Zagor and this other state they're fighting?
Old Continent, in between the USSR and PeZook, or Byzantine, or the CSR, I don't quite remember.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

You know, for those guys who are signing the continental defense pact; may I suggest you give up on your plans for mega buck purchases for the near future?

No more buying F-22s for a bit....because now you have to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to integrate 5-6 totally different IADS, and five different air forces so they can hand off datalinking to each other.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

MKSheppard wrote:You know, for those guys who are signing the continental defense pact; may I suggest you give up on your plans for mega buck purchases for the near future?

No more buying F-22s for a bit....because now you have to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to integrate 5-6 totally different IADS, and five different air forces so they can hand off datalinking to each other.
I was thinking of this, and my idea (which I admit I have yet to bring up with the others) is that most of the changes would be procedural ones, at least for now. Things like "you guys handle high-altitude intercept coming from this direction; I'll handle it coming from this direction, etc... basically, just sharing radio freqs, coordinating efforts so we don't double up in one region and leave another undefended, and train together, etc.

I don't think we'd ever truly have fully-integrated weapons systems (all F-22s, all T-80s, etc) since most of us have very specific ideas and doctrines for our armed forces.

But we can, for example, just arrange things so we don't step on each others' toes, and share, say, interlocking fields of fire & intercept for our ground-based missiles, agree to transmit data on overflying aircraft, and th elike.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

MKSheppard wrote:No more buying F-22s for a bit....because now you have to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to integrate 5-6 totally different IADS, and five different air forces so they can hand off datalinking to each other.
And, frankly, that'll provide much, much greater return-on-investment than just purchasing a bunch of shiny new airplanes. For everyone attempting to defend against the SHEPISTAN SPECIAL STRATEGIC SUPER STRATOJET SWARM, do you really need Raptors?

To quote an expert in the field (emphasis mine)
Stuart wrote:A curious thing about these systems is that, when they are subject to systems analysis, it becomes obvious that dramatic improvements in capabilities of one system component are virtually meaningless unless matched throughout the system. On the other hand, small, incremental improvements replicated throughout the air defense system can have a dramatic effect on capability. This is particularly true of communications - so much communicating goes on that even a small increase in its efficinecy significantly upgrades the system as a whole.
Everyone wants shiny new missiles and new aircraft - when a shiny new common continental air-defense communications network would be much better. Oh, and it'll cost a lot. General Statics-Dynamics is ready to contract!