SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK III

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Just posting my initial position before the conference on Libertopia. My opnion is no one nation is possible in Libertopia. In the case of Ramsley and Alexander, they could probably become at least semi functional states with some help. Until the civil war ends in the North, it will not be apparant what the Sultan's future can be. He did show rationallity in rescinding the Jihad, so there is some hope.

Only through engaging with the rulers on the ground can we achieve anything. Disengagement is what brought on the current situation.

The only problemn is deciding how the aid comes in. A treaty organization or something similiar will probably be needed to avoisd proxy war issues. Consensus building is difficult and takes a long time, but if we have individual nations doing individual efforts, that will likely just lead to infleunce trading, tensions, and then war.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Well People have been asking me how the work on the super collider is going. Well it's going slowly but surely, were still constructing it, with some overruns, and it's part of an Engineering (electromagetics, Electronics) & Military school, so we are getting some use out of it. Another year and the BR, Fun and Coyote will be seeing a new crop of steel ring wearing guys.

currently having problems with our own gauss/coil gun projects. (mainly the power surge and friction of the projectile traveling down the barrel, even though it's not a true rail gun, there's still conservation of momentum etc. to deal with) is causing overheating problems in the working models. (the big lab models have access to enough liquid nitrogen etc, that they don't have too much problems)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

My posts are growing in size every time for some reason, that took an hour and a half to type and is over 2000 words long. Plus I spent 30mins creating new people for my government.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Yosemite Bear

I think with as much stuff about my super collider, I just may mention Q harrassing my physicists by showing up as a cat that could pass through solid matter....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Shep, who authorised that transfer of arms?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

EDIT: ah, no need :lol:
Last edited by K. A. Pital on 2008-05-15 02:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

What Arms transfer? That was a legimitate humanitarian cargo delivery. I have the manifests to prove it.
-- Viktor Bout.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Stas Bush wrote:I'll answer for Shep. It's a black arms dealer a-la the "lord of war" Cage character. And yes my nation is also involved, since that's where the arms came from.
When I have my intelligence agents lay my hands on him..

In the mean time, I am going to lean hard on Ramsley.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Wait, why? You don't even KNOW that this was an arms delivery! My wife protests.

Why should Ramsley get "leaned on" for deals with private citizens, especially deals which most people don't even know about?

EDIT 2: also, from now on Ramsley and Alexander are legit governments in the eyes of most of the world, while the Sultan, of all nations, remains unrecognized because his nation devolved into civil war and the recindance of Jihad did not actually mean his crooked underlings stopped it, instead they tried to oust him frm power and power collapsed.

As legit governments, Ramsley and Alex can now gamble for any alliance, openly trade with other nations, et cetra.

It was a gamble, they gambled and won during the crisis times. Saddamistan and the Sultanate lost the diplomatic face. So it is.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Stas Bush wrote:Wait, why? You don't even KNOW that this was an arms delivery! My wife protests.

Why should Ramsley get "leaned on" for deals with private citizens, especially deals which most people don't even know about?
I'll find out, one way or another. :wink: *sends off a note to Ramsley*
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Remember, that you're dealing with a fully legit government right now, which also has a living person behind it ;)

Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Stas Bush wrote:Remember, that you're dealing with a fully legit government right now, which also has a living person behind it ;)
Indeed so, but I don't want my favourite Patriarch running off and starting some random acts of violence. :wink:
Kreia
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:When I have my intelligence agents lay my hands on him..
I think you'll find that quite hard, considering there is no INTERPOL in this world. :o
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

MKSheppard wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:When I have my intelligence agents lay my hands on him..
I think you'll find that quite hard, considering there is no INTERPOL in this world. :o
I'll have Ramsley tell me then. :twisted:
Kreia
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I'll have Ramsley tell me then. :twisted:
Ramsley isn't telling either. Because Mr Bout is a very good dealer. Why, when the Patriarch's car broke down in a dangerous libertopian milita infested area; Mr Bout actually flew in a pair of HIND-E gunships to pick up Ramsley on Bout's own tab. :wink:

Good customer service keeps business steady. :twisted:

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

MKSheppard wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I'll have Ramsley tell me then. :twisted:
Ramsley isn't telling either. Because Mr Bout is a very good dealer. Why, when the Patriarch's car broke down in a dangerous libertopian milita infested area; Mr Bout actually flew in a pair of HIND-E gunships to pick up Ramsley on Bout's own tab. :wink:

Good customer service keeps business steady. :twisted:
I'll see if he stays silent when I excommunicate him. :twisted:
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Uh...isn't it a bit dangerous to fly An transports into Libertia with half a dozen MESS CVs steaming around?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

What? These are humanitarian aid flights; according to the flight plans filed in the various countries that they passed over. If the mess shot down a humanitarian aid flight, it would be a disaster of epic proportions.....for the MESS.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

MKSheppard wrote:What? These are humanitarian aid flights; according to the flight plans filed in the various countries that they passed over. If the mess shot down a humanitarian aid flight, it would be a disaster of epic proportions.....for the MESS.
*cough cough cough*
Kreia
The Yosemite Bear

Mind you I may have information comming to me...

After all of the Blimps I sent into libertopia as this disaster was starting, only the blimps sent into the Sultanate were destroyed. However the majority of my cellphones did make it there. Now if your humanitarian deal was made with one of my cellphones....

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I would only remind you all that Ramsley's territory was recently assaulted from the air, by Alexander's paid pilots. It would make sense if he bought some portable SAMs, especially as he's now a government and it's harder to just go on a blind rampage against him and kill him.

What we are doing with Ramsley - to anyone with half a brain - we are creating a stabilized nation in Libertia, which could serve as a base for OMSK intel operations in the region, military base in case it would be required, with possible alliance deals in the future and so on.

This doesn't mean Ramsley can engage in acts of violence, he's a nation now and should behave.

But OMSK needs a platzdarm in the region, for example in case Sultanate cmes out of it's civil war with the Jihad still on, or if we need to operate against Saddamistani agents in the area who clearly are there, and are active in the Sultanate at the very least (Skimmer did select his strikes based on some intel; probably picking the Sultanate's industries, in whatever condition, and ravaging a lot of it's fleet as means of securing superiority for invasion).

Ramsley didn't buy tanks, he bought some missiles from a top arms dealer on the black market, and did so rather covertly as not to stir shit up. Pretty normal behaviour for a newly recognized Third World nation, isn't it?

Assalti Frontali
The Yosemite Bear

Actually in terms of Dirty Deeds, I have an Idea for dealing with the Sultanate Civil War... I'll just have to talk with some of my trade allies, as they now have those assets.

Decue
Padawan Learner

Post by Decue »

DarthShady wrote:Decue man, don't start that Zablorg shit again, we barely killed him last time. :lol:
No worries, his is still very dead and I have no plans to return to that place.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Let me make some things clear.

1) Terra Libertia embassies. In case anyone RPing TL nations missed it, I offered to establish embassies in all three TL nations, and extended an offer to allow them to establish diplomatic missions in the Shinra Republic (any other countries they'll have to talk to on their own, though we'll help set up contacts if they like). With those diplomatic missions will come aid shipments in the form of food, water, medicine, etc. Also, since we'll need to build the embassies, we'd send in construction crews to that. If, once the embassies are built the new Leaders (not warlords) of Libertia would like to request through the ambassador their help in other projects, they can certainly do so.

1a) Due to the uncertain situation in the Sultanate, such aid might be difficult to accomplish. We will seek an international consensus before intervening, however.

2) We are offering mutual defense agreements to each of the nations as well. This will give us our continued reason to be there, as well as a framework to come to their aid should anyone else get militarily adventurous down there.

2a) Again, due to the situation in the Sultanate, this will be on a "wait and see" basis.

2b) This is in part to give our current forces a reason to be there. However, should Saddamistan make some public gestures of diplomatic good faith, showing a willingness to enter full and public talks on resolving the crisis, we can begin a stand down. Private back-channel deals with the UKB or anyone else don't count. I once more state we're willing to work with him, but it has to be a mutual effort.

3) We will not be shipping arms or military advisors, publically or covertly, to any Libertopian nation without full disclosure to the international community, and we will seek at least a partial consensus before doing so, most notably from the FUN, Red Technocracy, and Byzantium.

EDIT: I'll probably be modifying this shortly and putting it in the game thread as well. And by "modify" I mean basically dress it up with an IU perspective. The substance will not change.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Wll, I guess I'm running Alexander now, as thats what Mr. Bean last said on the matter. I'll do my best not to have Alexander favour ProTec. (after all, they are foreigners.)