SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I still find it funny that I made the Furlings the 'elite of the elite' in the Arcadian Army...when all one has to do is drop a bunch of cats on them. :P

And that is why I have to be careful who I fight...there is a reason I'm trying to be friendly with the Bastians/Chamarrans you know. :D

(Update on the story post front...today being Fathers Day, my Mom is likely to drag me along when she goes to my Grandpa's house later today...so may or may not get a post up. Still open to collaborative ones though, since that is more planning than typing at first.)

EDIT: And the Arcadians totally don't have a bio/chemical weapons program. We prefer to fight in the open...besides, we want to be friends with everyone remember? Why would we possibly need bio/chem weapons for that? :angelic:

EDIT the Second: Got a short little post up. A big one is still in the works, but I wanted to at least get something up today before I leave.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OK, Skywalker.

And... Umeria? Chemical yes, biological generally not- there are a lot of obvious problems with relying heavily on bioweapons, and they are of doubtful utility in a society with extensive public health assets, no concept of "civil rights" other than "the state is not a prick," occasional mad scientists, and massive bunker complexes rated to hold up against Shepistani attack anyway. Some of the poisons are quite nasty, but at least you can avoid them by standing on a planet they're not being shot at, which is nice.

Amoral individual loonies elsewhere? Yes, but then there are probably amoral individual renegade Haruhiists who dislike superweapons and think rainbow-colored hair looks stupid; it doesn't speak for the nation in general.

So while yes, the Second for Ecology still has her pet piranha-hawk program funded a bit on the side, they're classed as terraforming implements, not bioweapons.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I know that...but the general view of Umeria is influenced by said mad-scientists. Jasan has never actually been to Umeria, it was just the first thing that came to mind...for him anyway.

Plus, Klaus isn't actually Umerian...just happens to act like the Umerian sterotype, at least the Arcadian one anyway.

EDIT: Or rather, I guessed that at least. Being as you wouldn't need bio weapons as much, considering the neighbors (what use would they really be on Shepistan anyway?)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Actually the dragons are a suitably kooky project that's a bit more in keeping with the Umerian norm. Mad scientists are more likely to build a monster that will eat you from the outside than to build a parasite that eats you from the inside.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

The clans don't have bioweapons in the sense of: get sick and die. Or even: get sick and want to die. They do have them in the sense of: giant alligator that wants to eat you, or: sharks with frickking laser beams shooting out of their head. Of course they're more for the whole "Dangerous thing to hunt, because we can die and not care, and are rich enough individually that experiences matter much, much more than things." Speaking of: anyway to get some of those piranha-hawks?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hmm...people smuggling weapons into the Centrality? I wonder who that could be...
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Beowulf wrote:The clans don't have bioweapons in the sense of: get sick and die. Or even: get sick and want to die. They do have them in the sense of: giant alligator that wants to eat you, or: sharks with frickking laser beams shooting out of their head. Of course they're more for the whole "Dangerous thing to hunt, because we can die and not care, and are rich enough individually that experiences matter much, much more than things." Speaking of: anyway to get some of those piranha-hawks?
Send a communique to some bureaucrat in the Ministry of Ecology and pretend you have a planetary pest control problem severe enough to merit purchase of a piranha-hawk swarm. The words "mutant hell goose" usually get Dr. Warren-Marshall's attention.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Darkevilme wrote:0.o Shinn saw Chamarrans were engaging in experiments using a sleeping eldritch entity and wanted to one up us....

Pray the kitties never find out you have a plan to unleash mindcontrol parasites to enslave them. >.> This would move you from the category of 'prospective target' to that of 'the antichrist'.
Yes, that would not go over well with the Bastians, either. They're competent fighters. They just have a complete clusterfuck of a military bureaucracy with white elephants everywhere. Imagine all the facepalming the emperor has to do every day as he wades through all that muck filled with stuff like cat hair bombs that manage to make the USS Penis Envy look useful (I don't remember what my name for that planet-killing thing is). In any case, there are useful things that are successful. They're just classified. (Success occurs in private. Failure occurs in public. :-P ) Oh, and I think the entire Bastian economy would run in the hundreds of trillions of denarii. That's just an asspull number which goes to show that even though that was an expensive boondoggle, it's still minor compared to the entire GDP of the Bastian economy.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

On the subject of Incubators and Bastians, I think I'll just leave this here:

I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well then.

The marshal has expressed her hostility to the concept, with considerable forcefulness.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

:wtf:

Well, I think you don't have to worry Panzer...
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Simon_Jester wrote:Well then.

The marshal has expressed her hostility to the concept, with considerable forcefulness.
Marshal Akemi actually likes the concept. She just had to clean up that mess at the training facility after those particular Incubator/Bastian hybrids tried to go rogue. So yes, the Bastians should still have cause to worry...but you're not going to use out-of-character knowledge that your faction shouldn't have in character, right?
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Of course not! At least I never will, unless the AIS (Arcadian Intelligence Service) or the FIS (Furling Intelligence Service) are very good at their jobs. Haven't decided on that yet...

(And I know that post wasn't directed at me)
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:On the subject of Incubators and Bastians, I think I'll just leave this here:

*snip*
What have you unleashed on the Capital Wasteland?
Shinn Langley Soryu wrote: Marshal Akemi actually likes the concept. She just had to clean up that mess at the training facility after those particular Incubator/Bastian hybrids tried to go rogue. So yes, the Bastians should still have cause to worry...but you're not going to use out-of-character knowledge that your faction shouldn't have in character, right?
Nope. Chances are, unless I actually take notes, which I'm not, I'll have forgotten the details of it until after the story has gone on.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Speaking of spy work...how do we go about managing that Simon? Is it another case of 'work it out between posters'? Just want to make sure on that.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shinn, you do realize the Chamarrans are going to retaliate with a horrible humans-only virus causing terrible skull deformities?

Impossibly big eyes, unsurvivably small mouth, hyperfluid facial expressions, periodic outbursts of giant tennis ball sized sweat droplets and whatnot...
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Speaking of spy work...how do we go about managing that Simon? Is it another case of 'work it out between posters'? Just want to make sure on that.
Uh yeah. Pretty much. My advice: post what you're trying to do, and how you're trying to do it. Then let the other guy write a response post. You can be collaborating on it, or "dueling posts," it doesn't matter. If someone tries something too blatant and wanked, I'll step in.

Simple.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Oh come now Simon. An arms race of bioweapons is not nearly as entertaining as the political ramifications of someone actively taking up the mantle of our Creators.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Okay, thats what I figured. It is important for Space Sweden to have a good spy network, considering we are (supposedly) everyones friends after all. We need to make sure it stays that way. :D
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Well, we are friends to all. Except the Grays. Gibberish-Latin-name-for-the-Grays delenda est! And I guess the Kryptonians but I'm working on a post offering peace overtures so I don't think they really count.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Panzersharkcat wrote:Well, we are friends to all. Except the Grays. Gibberish-Latin-name-for-the-Grays delenda est! And I guess the Kryptonians but I'm working on a post offering peace overtures so I don't think they really count.
We've also been very quiet for a long time.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Get together with Panzer, put something up.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

The Furlings are going to be watching said peace overtures warily. They still remember why they have the 'New' Furling Empire...though if you team up on the Grays they would probably help, Arcadia be darned.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

If anyone has a need for honey, trade traffic or relatively open borders, Bee Space is available for your posting needs.

Just, I dunno. Poke me or something.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Got another post up...and everyones favorite Terror Group is back! :D

And they are working with the VIKINGs too, so I killed two birds with one stone there. Also, whoever wants to get a collaborative post up...there is an idea to do it. AF and the VIKINGs need a target after all. :P
Fenreer
Redshirt

Post by Fenreer »

Soon the Dwarves will be seen.

It will be getting dark soon and they mostly come at night. Mostly.