[Uther] Star Trek Fans: Pedophiles?

Only now, at the end, do you understand.

Moderator: Moderators

Avalon616
Padawan Learner

Post by Avalon616 »

That article makes me so sick, and so sad. It's mind boggling, but I'm really glad to know Gates donated a program to help law enforcement agencies all over the world. For once Microsoft did something truly good.

About the Trekkies, this is just a thought: what if the Trekkies are just the ones getting caught? Hardcore Trekkies are the stereotypical loners, if we're just looking at a wide stereotypical profile. They also can be social inept... like not being able to determine that the person they're talking to is a cop. Perhaps the truly adept pedophiles aren't the stereotypical geek Trekkies, and that's why they're not getting caught? This is just a random idea.

Ugh, this whole train of thought sickens me.
Member- SOS:NBA | GALE
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Avalon616 wrote:That article makes me so sick, and so sad. It's mind boggling, but I'm really glad to know Gates donated a program to help law enforcement agencies all over the world. For once Microsoft did something truly good.

About the Trekkies, this is just a thought: what if the Trekkies are just the ones getting caught? Hardcore Trekkies are the stereotypical loners, if we're just looking at a wide stereotypical profile. They also can be social inept... like not being able to determine that the person they're talking to is a cop. Perhaps the truly adept pedophiles aren't the stereotypical geek Trekkies, and that's why they're not getting caught? This is just a random idea.

Ugh, this whole train of thought sickens me.
That might be part of it, but the fact that it's Trek specifically that's so weird. Why aren't some of them, say, anime fans? Most of us know at least one hardcore anime loser just as socially inept as hardcore Trekkies. Yet there are 499 Trekkies out of 500 pedophiles. SOME of them might also be anime losers, but it's doubtful all of them are.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

RedImperator wrote:Yet there are 499 Trekkies out of 500 pedophiles.
Hate to burst your bubble, but as pointed out earlier in this thread, you and I both misinterpreted that article.
Gillespie has been on that knife's edge since the Child Exploitation Section was created four years ago. The Toronto police seized more than 2 million pictures and videos of child sexual abuse in 2003. So far, the world's law agencies have identified fewer than 500 of the children.
*snip*
Of the unit's 37 arrests last year, 26 resulted from their undercover work.
37*4 = 148
So probably somewhere between 120 and 180.
That still makes the chance of a coincidence statistically insignificant, though.
"Guys, don't do that"
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Morilore wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Yet there are 499 Trekkies out of 500 pedophiles.
Hate to burst your bubble, but as pointed out earlier in this thread, you and I both misinterpreted that article.
Gillespie has been on that knife's edge since the Child Exploitation Section was created four years ago. The Toronto police seized more than 2 million pictures and videos of child sexual abuse in 2003. So far, the world's law agencies have identified fewer than 500 of the children.
*snip*
Of the unit's 37 arrests last year, 26 resulted from their undercover work.
37*4 = 148
So probably somewhere between 120 and 180.
That still makes the chance of a coincidence statistically insignificant, though.
Hmm, you're right. I think I'm going to blame you for the screwup.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

RedImperator wrote:Hmm, you're right. I think I'm going to blame you for the screwup.
Don't blame me, blame UCBooties. He was the first one in this thread to mention the 500 number. Bad Booties!
"Guys, don't do that"
UCBooties
Jedi Master

Post by UCBooties »

Yes, yes, bad Booties, wouldn't be the first time. But leaving aside my personal penchant for misinterpretation and overreaction, this has been gnawing at me. What distinguishes Trek from any number of similer fandoms? Why is it so overwhelmingly attractive to people with this psychological make up? I love anime, but I would expect it to rank higher on the obsession list for pedophiles simply because there are a great many series which depict sexualy or romanticaly active under age children. Instead Trek, which doesn't offer much in the way of sexual eppeal, so what is the psychological draw? This is realy bugging me, because I can't see the distinction.
Post 666: Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:51 am
Post 777: Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:49 pm
Post 999: Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:19 am
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

RedImperator wrote: That might be part of it, but the fact that it's Trek specifically that's so weird. Why aren't some of them, say, anime fans? Most of us know at least one hardcore anime loser just as socially inept as hardcore Trekkies. Yet there are 499 Trekkies out of 500 pedophiles. SOME of them might also be anime losers, but it's doubtful all of them are.
Trek was the only thing mentioned of additional intorspect of these people, there's definitely a chance they had other interests in common (like how pratically everyone here is into Star Wars but there's tons of other interests shared in large percentages)

To be honest, considering the difference in age of consent in Japan and what's frankly less emphasis on said consent in hentai, I'd be surprised if it wasn't anime posters hanging up there with a starfleet uniforn in all those cases. Now that'd be much more of a likely 'outlet' than anything in Voyager...
By His Word...
Mopeyennuui
Padawan Learner

Post by Mopeyennuui »

LA TIMES?

No freaking way. Now... if it was the NY Times MAYBBBEEEE.

OR try for a BBC link.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Thank you, Zerg Goddess.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Remind me again how she's survived to make over 200 posts of that quality?
By His Word...
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

UCBooties wrote:Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. But there is somthing realy odd about that pattern. Did I misread the article when it said that all but one of the people they caught was a hard core trekkie? It says they caught 5oo people! What the hell? I know fandom does not translate to pedophelia, but that's 499 out of 500 people! There has got to be somthing up with that.
LA Times wrote:Gillespie has been on that knife's edge since the Child Exploitation Section was created four years ago. The Toronto police seized more than 2 million pictures and videos of child sexual abuse in 2003. So far, the world's law agencies have identified fewer than 500 of the children.
Read again....499/500 is a little off. :idea:
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Utsanomiko wrote:...
Of what quality?
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Utsanomiko wrote:...
Of what quality?
Of a trollish idiot netrat 'quality'.

I would have put it in elipses the first time, but I was reluctant, as whenever I consider doing so these days I always picture Herr Starr screaming at me. :D
By His Word...
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

It's also kind of weird this came up...2 1/2 weeks ago, this popped up in my hometown news:
http://www.whiotv.com/news/4371427/detail.html

The local Trek club (which I shall not name) even warned it's members to lay low for a while and not wear any of their jackets or gear.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Mario wrote:Read again....499/500 is a little off. :idea:
Sorry, RedImperator, I didn't catch that you pointed that out to him...sorry about that. :oops: :?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I haven't read the article from the first post and from the reactions, I don't want to read it. But anyway...

Maybe this Trek fetish pedophiles have could be something in relation with their prey. The article Mario1470 linked to mentions some sexual offender going to Trek conventions to meet kids he'd...you know.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

I'd like to point that I'm a tad reluctant to accept the "hardcore trekkie" lable from anyone outside sci fi fandom. I wonder what it takes to qualify as hardcore to these people.

That and atar trek is the one easily recognizable fandom to those that are not interested in sci fi at all.

When it comes to sci fi fans, and the media, be it TV print or radio, its easy to exagerate the extent of that fandom.
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Zed Snardbody wrote:
Lagmonster wrote:I dislike the fact that they're outright jailing these monsters. I hope they take the time to study them, analyze them from every possible social, psychological and chemical angle, so that we can build a solid system for identifying pedophilia and heading it off at the pass with treatments...before they become sexually active.
You can't punish a crime until its commited.

Part of me wishes we could identify and destroy them in utero, the other parts realizes that there is more to life than genitics.
:roll: Who the hell was talking about punishment? And who said anything about genetics? Relevant bits bolded and underlined for clarification.

And I'm really sick and fucking tired of the "there is more to <whatever> than genetics" buzzphrase. Two dollar philosophy. Bah.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Re: Star Trek Fans: Pedophiles?

Post by Lord Zentei »

Sharp-kun wrote:
Uther wrote:Hahaha.

:kill:
I agree.

I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Lagmonster wrote:
I dislike the fact that they're outright jailing these monsters. I hope they take the time to study them, analyze them from every possible social, psychological and chemical angle, so that we can build a solid system for identifying pedophilia and heading it off at the pass with treatments...before they become sexually active.
How can you begin to identify and treat something that has not happened yet?

Random profiling?
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Just because someone is determined to have a predisposition towards something is no solid indication that they will engadge in a violent act.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Zed Snardbody wrote:
Lagmonster wrote:
I dislike the fact that they're outright jailing these monsters. I hope they take the time to study them, analyze them from every possible social, psychological and chemical angle, so that we can build a solid system for identifying pedophilia and heading it off at the pass with treatments...before they become sexually active.
How can you begin to identify and treat something that has not happened yet?

Random profiling?
No, you twat. If there is a biological factor that increases the probability that a person becomes a pedophile, there may be a way of reducing the probability of this from occouring.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I have no tollerance whatsoever for pedophiles or hollow fucks who attempt to argue on their behalf as a "devil's advocate" or simply to provide a second side. Such disgusting wretches are the only "people" who I see as being truly and purely evil.
I agree 100%, Pedophiles IMHO shouldn't be even considered Humans anymore (no, I haven't been victim of one (thankfully)).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Theres no reason to be insulting. I'm just dubios as the what exactly can be done if we do recognize the biological factor. Makes them attend special course in public school like children with a speach impediment? Make it something we screen for on pre employment drug testing?

I would love it if pedophiles could be identified easily before they comit their crimes, but I question exactly what we can do about till those crimes are actually commited.

What if in effect its something along the lines of homosexuality? No ammount therapy or treatment will make that person less of a homosexual.

Perhaps no ammount of treatment can make anyone less of a pedophile. Is it then fare to make them register like other sex offenders even though they've not done anything yet, but science tells us that there is a higher probablity that they might?
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Zed Snardbody wrote:Theres no reason to be insulting. I'm just dubios as the what exactly can be done if we do recognize the biological factor. Makes them attend special course in public school like children with a speach impediment? Make it something we screen for on pre employment drug testing?

I would love it if pedophiles could be identified easily before they comit their crimes, but I question exactly what we can do about till those crimes are actually commited.

What if in effect its something along the lines of homosexuality? No ammount therapy or treatment will make that person less of a homosexual.

Perhaps no ammount of treatment can make anyone less of a pedophile. Is it then fare to make them register like other sex offenders even though they've not done anything yet, but science tells us that there is a higher probablity that they might?
The point was that sex offenders should be studied in the hopes of finding such a correlation. IF it is found, then it is indeed in the interests of whoever is at risk to be medicated if this possible in practice. If not, then obviously, we don't. So these "what ifs" are a bit disingenious. The point is that we should find out if anything can be done.

Whether something can be done depends on what we discover, obviously. But dismissing it preemtively is not smart, IMNSHO. And no, we would NOT register them as sex offenders if they haven't done anything, obviously.

And I called you a "twat" because I felt you were being a bit disingenious. It's pretty tame; not really a serious insult, same as "silly", "spaz", "ninny" and suchlike.