Iraq with AT-AT's, Gulf War changes

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Omega-13
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Iraq with AT-AT's, Gulf War changes

Post by Omega-13 »

1990, Golf War is starting, the American and allies are just about to start their air campaign, when satalite images show huge walking machines, it turns out Sadam has received 150 AT-AT's from the Empire, through a act of Q.

And so it begins, what happens? Can the allies stop them. The AT-AT's are equiped with an Imperial crew, but no ground forces, and fuel and weapon supplies for 6 years.

*idea* The americans rig their "bunker busters" with high yield nuclear weapons, and collapse the ground underneith the AT-AT's feet. Can it be done? would it be done? YOu decide and debate
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 99#1688299
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Err thats Gulf War not Golf War which is a popular American sport for lazy people..

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

couldn;t the nukes be used on the atats themselves? or is the armor too strong?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

That has the potential to drastically change things, but I don't think it would. I'm not convinced that the AT-ATs have the range to shoot aircraft out of the sky from 35000 feet. B-52s loaded with conventional bombs ought to be able to take them out fairly easily.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Omega-13

Post by Omega-13 »

typo i swear
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

Omega-13

Post by Omega-13 »

Enforcer Talen wrote:couldn;t the nukes be used on the atats themselves? or is the armor too strong?
not as much radiation gets out
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Onto the Acutal Fight, hmm massive Fighter Strikes could take them down and simple brute force would work well(SW Turbolasers lack alot of Kinetic force) While a Full 2k Rounds of Uranium Depelted Slugs from Wing of A-10s might run its day I imagin the ability for the American Fighter plans to hover a few miles up and drop bombs would be very helpful as the AT-AT can't look STRAIT up

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Omega-13

Post by Omega-13 »

Mr Bean wrote:Onto the Acutal Fight, hmm massive Fighter Strikes could take them down and simple brute force would work well(SW Turbolasers lack alot of Kinetic force) While a Full 2k Rounds of Uranium Depelted Slugs from Wing of A-10s might run its day I imagin the ability for the American Fighter plans to hover a few miles up and drop bombs would be very helpful as the AT-AT can't look STRAIT up
all that might do is chip the paint....
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

First off, whats the sudden interest in the "how to beat AT-ATs" threads? (and the Iowa cant do it either! But thats a diffrent thread).
Despite my close emotional ties with the AT-AT eventually air strikes will take em out. A much more evil scenario, Q drops of a wing of TIEs into saddams hands, in place of his MiG-29 (fulcrums, sp?) that'll show those capitalist pigs!
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Omega-13 on the regular part sure I'm talk about hitting the neck....(A 2000 Pound Bomb IS a 2000 Pound bomb after all..)

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I'm talking about big-ass craters.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Omega-13

Post by Omega-13 »

Yea crators won't help the AT-AT's, though the bunker busters with a nuke on them, would totally fuck them over
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

Darth Garden Gnome

Nah, craters arent that much of a threat *IF* the AT-At isn tin them when theyre created, if they arent then thy can stride through them, they are called after all ALL TERRAIN armored transports. It would have to be one long, steep ass crater to slow down an AT-AT, but I reiterate, airstrikes will be the end of them.
Renewed_Valour1
Padawan Learner

Post by Renewed_Valour1 »

A B-52 is the ultimate in close air support! Even if you want to be stubborn enough to argue that an AT-At will stand up to the bomb load falling on it (it won't) the fall into the craters will destroy it. All we have to do is remember being toppled over destroyed these all terrain vehicles.

That or they wander too close to the shoreline and an Iowa takes them out. :D
Darth Garden Gnome

Yes the B-52 would scrap a poor AT-AT, as it cannot even fight back. Thats why having a wing of TIEs would decimate anything the US could put aginst it, LONG LIVE TIE FIGHTERS!

However that Iowa my friend, THAT is a diffrent story...
Omega-13

Post by Omega-13 »

Don't think the B-52's are going to be able to do it, Iraq had some serious anti-aircraft installations, they could hardly get in there, i doubt the big fat fighting fortress would get within 100 miles of any AT-AT's, there would be more anti - aircraft battiers than there is grains of sand. Think we are looking at bunker buster, armed with a high yield nuclear weapon, being dropped from high altitude by B2's
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

Renewed_Valour1
Padawan Learner

Omega-13 wrote:Don't think the B-52's are going to be able to do it, Iraq had some serious anti-aircraft installations, they could hardly get in there, i doubt the big fat fighting fortress would get within 100 miles of any AT-AT's, there would be more anti - aircraft battiers than there is grains of sand.
ROTFLMAO!!!
What are you smoking?

You do realize B-52s were over Iraq dropping bombs on Saddam's elite Republican Guard during the War? The F-117s and other strike aircraft largely rendered Iraq's air defenses inoperative at the start of the war.
Omega-13

Post by Omega-13 »

Renewed_Valour1 wrote:
Omega-13 wrote:Don't think the B-52's are going to be able to do it, Iraq had some serious anti-aircraft installations, they could hardly get in there, i doubt the big fat fighting fortress would get within 100 miles of any AT-AT's, there would be more anti - aircraft battiers than there is grains of sand.
ROTFLMAO!!!
What are you smoking?

You do realize B-52s were over Iraq dropping bombs on Saddam's elite Republican Guard during the War? The F-117s and other strike aircraft largely rendered Iraq's air defenses inoperative at the start of the war.
not sure if they would have that much success with the AT-AT's walking around, the A-10's helped kill the air defence, but they got low to do that, and were taken out, a lot of them. The AT-AT's would rape A-10's
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

Renewed_Valour1
Padawan Learner

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:However that Iowa my friend, THAT is a diffrent story...
Yeah the AT-AT crews never realize what hit them until they hear a loud whistling followed by a big boom and their walker laying on it's side. That's assuming it isn't a direct hit that reduces it to scrap metal. You gotta love plunging fire from a battleship that is over the horizon.
Darth Garden Gnome

Indeed lotso bombs been fallin on saddams noggin know?

Seriously this scenario would be a wee abit more fair though if the AT-ATs did have air suppost or anit-air weapons. After all not very fair that you drop a weapon not meant for anti-air into an air craft filled warzone methinks.

Give the bugger some TIEs (ok thats a little over the top), maybe just some AT-AAs (all-terrain-anti-aircraft, i believe). Then we should see who conquers
Darth Garden Gnome

Renewed_Valour1 wrote:
Darth Garden Gnome wrote:However that Iowa my friend, THAT is a diffrent story...
Yeah the AT-AT crews never realize what hit them until they hear a loud whistling followed by a big boom and their walker laying on it's side. That's assuming it isn't a direct hit that reduces it to scrap metal. You gotta love plunging fire from a battleship that is over the horizon.
Save it for the appropriate thread there valor.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The unimagable Slaughter the TIE Fighters could pull off...

Darth Garden Gnome

Indeed, I'd say that they could do nothing less than nuke them to kill them off, so is there speed and power.
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

One or two squads of TIEs could seriously debalance today's political world.
Btw I find it's laughably unfair to plot the AT-ATs alone against virtually every single tool of war the US have at their disposal.
Supermod
Darth Garden Gnome

Cpt Frank, I agree whole-heartedly. The Empire is a fan of combined arms tactics. So lets deploy a ground attack weapon, not an anit-air weapon, into a scenario were we can nuke it if we feel like it rather than engaging them on conventional terms.

Its actually funny how an Sci-Fi army in general must lose to the US because they'll die to nukes. And every debate must degrade to "Can a X megaton explosion kill them?" "Yes." "Than they automaticly lose to the US cause we'll just nuke em."

Funny I don't see us nuke every possible threat out there, otherwise we'd be livin in one nuclear waste pit. And whats more, nuking would be of ungoldly amounts of political what not. And one last note, you can nuke said army, why can't they nuke back?