Who can stand up to the Jedi?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

willburns84
Padawan Learner

Who can stand up to the Jedi?

Post by willburns84 »

The Jedi, with their lightsabers, Force abilities from mind tricks to precognition to telekinesis, etc, can be obnoxiously powerful.

The question is - who / what warriors and from what sci-fi universe can defeat them or fight them to a stand-still or even can come close? We know about the Sith of course, naturally they don't count. :)

Beings like the Q are disqualified. Snapping your fingers and making the Jedi turn into an earthworm don't count.

Maybe the Draka from Drakon - but I really doubt it. No, nevermind, not them...
"Fleet admirals have it made. They only have to worry about the success of their subordinates, their Moff, and guys whose name beings with Lord."
-Captain Seledrood (deceased)
"Iron within! Iron without!"
Manji
Deimos Sock Puppet

Post by Manji »

An Alabama hick with a 12 gage.

Half-inch lightsaber vs three/four/five/six/etc inch spread = dead Jedi.
willburns84
Padawan Learner

Post by willburns84 »

::laugh::

Wait, the telekinetic shield that a Jedi can bring up and - wait, there wasn't any evidence of that in the movies was there, a telekinetic shield?

Okay, fair enough. Addition to the question. Also who can stand up to a Sith Lord?

Vader waves a hand and Alabama hick puts shotgun into his mouth and boom.
"Fleet admirals have it made. They only have to worry about the success of their subordinates, their Moff, and guys whose name beings with Lord."
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

A Fifth Imperium marine. They've got warp guns, which project a cylindrical hyper field and translate whatever they hit into hyperspace; grav guns, which fire small darts made of a chemical explosive denser than uranium at 5 km/s and have several hundred round magazines; energy guns, which fire a thin beam of intense gravity that tears apart whatever it hits. They have reaction times 3 times higher, physical strength 8 times higher, and a skeletal/muscular/circulatory system 11 times stronger, than that of a baseline human. That's naked, with power armor they are far tougher.
「かかっ―」
willburns84
Padawan Learner

Post by willburns84 »

Fifth Imperium Marine? From what/where? I ask b/c I've never heard about 'em...
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

They're from the Dahak/Imperium series by David Weber. The books are Mutineer's Moon, The Armageddon Inheritance, and Heirs of Empire, in that order. Mutineer's Moon can be read here.
「かかっ―」
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Manji wrote:An Alabama hick with a 12 gage.

Half-inch lightsaber vs three/four/five/six/etc inch spread = dead Jedi.
No, Jedi can absorb physical weapons fire as well, and I think they can telekinetically stop slug throwers.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

PERHAPS a wizard from D&D? Do they qualify? A vorlon might be able to do it. Other than those, I don't know. A Baalrog?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

willburns84
Padawan Learner

Post by willburns84 »

Well, I really wasn't going for the Fantasy angle, since magic is... Well, magic is rather like the Force. :wink:
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Problem is.... I don't know of anything else that COULD stand up to Jedi. Their abilities to alter people's minds, and their martial abilities are incredible. Only the Vorlons would stand a chance, AFIK

Omega-13
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Post by Omega-13 »

Beings made out of energy would have a good chance,
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 99#1688299
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Omega-13 wrote:Beings made out of energy would have a good chance,
Yeah, but most of them are considered omnipotent and don't qualify (they're like Q). That's why I think a Vorlon could do it, you're right, though.

Moonstone Spider
Youngling

Post by Moonstone Spider »

Some Amberites could do it, certainly Benedict, Merlin, or probably Corwin could. Random could if you give him the Jewel of Judgement, or Brand after going through the Fountain.

Just about any comic character, Flash could kill the Jedi before he got his lightsaber out, Superman could burn him to a cinder from orbit, (or same speed trick) Spider Man's spider sense is equal to force-precog and he's so fast he can keep up with Yoda, one punch and the Jedi's face is in 12 different parts of the room. Spider man would be at least a very close fight.

Batman would make some thingamajig in his spare time between building time machines and trying to figure out the Riddler's Puzzles that causes Jedi to dissolve.

Of course anybody from Dragon-Ball Z.

Ryoko, Washu, or Tenchi. Maybe Aeka, maybe not. Possibly Mihoshi.

Possibly Aesha Clan-Clan. Definetly Twilight Suzuka even if she does use a wooden sword. Definetly Gene with the fancy Caster-Shells. Probably most members of the Onten 7.

Any member of Phule's Company except their butler. Can you say "Rolling Thunder Belt-Fed Automatic Shotgun?"

Most members of the Schlock Mercenary team with their equipment.
Few without all their gear.

Force mind-control is overrated. It's failed against a lot of foes and they rarely use it, and never in combat. It only works on the weak minded (ie non-character shielded ones).
Webcomic Junkie.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Force mind-control has been used in combat. The Emperor, Joruus C'Boath, and Kyle Katarn have all used it.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

1. Any US Marine with a M-16 and Attached Gernade Launcher and Ysarmsiy :D

Connan! Dumb luck of course coming into play agian :D

Bascily most AOE attackers could do the job

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Ysarmsiy? Do you mean Ysalamiri?
「かかっ―」
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

willburns84 wrote:::laugh::

Wait, the telekinetic shield that a Jedi can bring up and - wait, there wasn't any evidence of that in the movies was there, a telekinetic shield?
If you're going to attack my theory, at least have the courtesy to do so in the original thread.

I will reiterate my reasoning: Slug-thrower weapons are very easy to get in the SW Galaxy. The SW equivalents to the Crips and Bloods produce them in basements and garages, according the SWEGWT. So why don't people use them when fighting Jedi? If a simple machinegun or shotgun could stop them cold, how come Jango Fett didn't appropriate one on Geonosis?

The best answer is that Jedi have a defense against them, namely a telekinetic shield.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

I hate about 95% of anime.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

A possessed from the reality dysfuntion.
Lensman
Most of the Arcane backgound classes from Deadlands: Hell on Earth
Most of the classes from Rifts
Psions and Novas form white-wolfs trinity/abberant rpg.
Can't think of them all.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

The Killer Bunny from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

paladin wrote:The Killer Bunny from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."
"It is the rabbit!"

willburns84
Padawan Learner

Post by willburns84 »

Lensmen. Ugh. They could almost be called Godlike. I completely forgot about them.

I wasn't thinking about anime, either. ::knocks self on head:: Let's not forget the Kawaii power of Sasami. :twisted:
willburns84
Padawan Learner

Post by willburns84 »

Question: What is "SWEGWT"?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

SWEGWT is: an acronym for Star Wars Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology.

Omega-13
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Post by Omega-13 »

Hey you know who might have a good chance? that evil bitch from Ghost Busters with the short hair, remember her? She was at the end there, looked pretty good too
i would hardly call her omnipotent,
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 99#1688299