Ender's Game Trailer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Ender's Game Trailer

Post by TimothyC »

I'm thinking it's in the "Rent, Maybe" category at the moment.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Ender's Game Trailer

Post by Thanas »

Aside from the special effects the story seems to be crap, just judging from the trailer.

Also, the visual design seems pretty much ripped from several Sci-fi sources.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Honestly the trailer showed that it's following the base plot of the movie. Given the time it had I think it gave enough that we can hope for as decent a story as the source material allows. The only thing I caught that I really didn't like was them fighting the buggers in Earth's atmosphere, I always pictured it as a space battle with some orbital bombardment and very little interatmospheric action.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Jub wrote:Honestly the trailer showed that it's following the base plot of the movie. Given the time it had I think it gave enough that we can hope for as decent a story as the source material allows. The only thing I caught that I really didn't like was them fighting the buggers in Earth's atmosphere, I always pictured it as a space battle with some orbital bombardment and very little interatmospheric action.
Looks like they are merging the first and second invasions (the first invasion was fought on Earth and in low orbit while the second was fought out near the orbit of Saturn).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I haven't read the book in a while so I forgot that the first invasion made it to Earth,
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Is it just me, or did they give the buggers the biotech treatment? The bugger tech in the books was definitely alien to humans, but it was still, well, technology.
Spoiler
Also, nice way to give away the ending with the trailer, there.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

If you read the book you already know the ending, if you don't it just seems like a tense moment.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

I remember the short story better than the novel, because it was a much better read. So, it seems to me that Ender's Game was always more of a Twilight Zone, "What a twist!" story than an actual novel that could support a movie. Also, Orson Scott Card is probably somewhere between Santorum and Fred Phelps on the unlikeability scale, which is going to hurt PR for the film.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The PR will be bad, but misdirected, you shouldn't hate the works for the artist.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Most people who see this will never know who Orson Scott Card is. A good subset of those won't even know it is based off of a book. What they will know is that is got spaceships and explosions and Harrison Ford.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

He's a bit of a twat anyway, so if people don't know of his work being adapted, I'm not going to lose sleep. The trailer is, however, terribly derivative and dull. When you focus on telling the viewer how many Academy Award nominees/winners are in your picture, you fail marketing.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

OSC will never get my money, be it from his books or films based on them.

That aside, Ford's narration sounds like he was just rudely awoken from a few hours' sleep after a long night out.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:I remember the short story better than the novel, because it was a much better read. So, it seems to me that Ender's Game was always more of a Twilight Zone, "What a twist!" story than an actual novel that could support a movie. Also, Orson Scott Card is probably somewhere between Santorum and Fred Phelps on the unlikeability scale, which is going to hurt PR for the film.
Ender's Game was rewritten into a novel halfway through the writing of Speaker for the Dead because someone told Card that "hey, we liked this character you made and think you can crowbar him in here". So he did.

This made Ender's Game into a worse novel than it was short story, and all but completely fucked Speaker's pace because Ender really wasn't necessary for the telling of that story.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Ford sounds awful, not a good sign for Star Wars. Exploding F-35s seem like the best part of the movie.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Yeah, but we get real F-35s making their debut in Man Of Steel (with Superman Returns having the first CGI F-35 appearance). I'll take Supes over genetically enhanced teens.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Doctor Device!

Okay, the rest of the movie looks like shit, but I like the kid starring in it enough to give it a try anyways.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Yeah, but we get real F-35s making their debut in Man Of Steel (with Superman Returns having the first CGI F-35 appearance). I'll take Supes over genetically enhanced teens.
That can't end up being very cool though, given the flight performance restrictions on real F-35s at the moment, and the fact that the US military wouldn't support a film in which hoards of them explode. If I want to see a military plane do three G turns I'll watch the clips of the B-47 doing an Immelman.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Jub wrote:If you read the book you already know the ending, if you don't it just seems like a tense moment.
Yeah, but it's a tense moment spoiled when you're watching the movie--you know how it's going to play out just from having seen the trailer. It seems to permeate a lot of trailers nowadays.

For instance, I remember when watching Phantom Menace, I suddenly realized Qui Gon was going to bite it about 10 minutes before it actually happened, just because I remembered Obi Wan's scream from the trailer.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

That's totally not how Dr. Device was used at the end of the book anyways. I'm gonna guess dream sequence. I'm also gonna guess that they will show the ending of the final battle fairly straight from the book, as that scene makes for good cinema.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

In the site search engine I searched for threads with the word "Ender" in it. Turned up some awesome threads, some of them go back as far as 2002. Great reading.

Old Ender Threads
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

New Trailers up, 2 of them though all seem to have the same dialogue. Also, holy hell, that thing with the fighters in atmosphere was supposed to be the Second Invasion? Mazer Rackham is just a fighter pilot who kamikazed the mothership?

Suddenly I'm a lot less eager to see this film.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I thought the mothership was supposed to be way less obvious, and that the genius of Rackham was that he saw this one central ship amongst all of the chaos?

If it's playing cheap, I might watch it. Otherwise I doubt it.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin