Chuck's Animation April

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Chuck's Animation April

Post by Zor »

Ghost in the Shell
Cowboy Bebob
Evangelion
Clone Wars
Gargoyles
WALL-E
Star Trek TAS

Quite a lineup!

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Bright
Padawan Learner

Re: Chuck's Animation April

Post by Bright »

Ghost in the Shell - I'm quite interested in what he has to say about this. It's a classic, but I do think it's rather dry. I'm wondering how my thoughts on the movie have been shaped by seeing the TV series - which I consider superior - first.
Cowboy Bebop, Gargoyles, Avatar: The Last Airbender - Excellent choices all, but I do wonder how he's going to review them. Is he doing specific episodes or general overviews of the entire series? Or is he going to do what he did for MLPFIM and summarize the first episodes/pilot and finish up with overall thoughts? (In the case of Bebop, I suppose he could be taking on the movie.)
Evangelion - My blood pressure went up just from seeing the preview. I'm not even kidding with that. I hate Rebuild so much that thinking of it makes me physically uncomfortable. I'll probably skip those reviews, but briefly express my condescension in the comments section. (The really unpleasant part is that I had been entertaining thoughts of donating and making a request for End of Evangelion - something that would provide a much richer basis for analysis. Though I suppose dissecting the flaws in the script of 2.22 could be quite a bit of work too.)
Clone Wars, Star Trek TAS - Meh. Never seen them, so I don't care too much.
WALL-E - This is the one I'm looking forward to the most. It's one of my favorite movies and I'm quite curious how he'll handle it. The thing with Wall-E is that far too many people forget the essential fact that it's a love story first and foremost, so I hope he won't focus too much on the science fiction.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Bright wrote: Evangelion - My blood pressure went up just from seeing the preview. I'm not even kidding with that. I hate Rebuild so much that thinking of it makes me physically uncomfortable. I'll probably skip those reviews, but briefly express my condescension in the comments section. (The really unpleasant part is that I had been entertaining thoughts of donating and making a request for End of Evangelion - something that would provide a much richer basis for analysis. Though I suppose dissecting the flaws in the script of 2.22 could be quite a bit of work too.)
That is an epic level of hate there Bright. Nothing I can't understand though, I have an irrationally strong hatred of some media too. :lol:

As for the lineup it looks fairly interesting. I have fond childhood nostalgia for Gargoyles and WALL-E has got to be one of my all time favorite love and sci-fi stories. Cowboy Bebop should be interesting as well. I haven't seen Ghost in the Shell, Clone Wars or Star Trek: TAS so I can't say I'm looking forward to those reviews.
Image[
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Sweet. I'm a fan of Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop. Well, I've only seen the Stand Alone Complex series for GitS, and the Solid State movie. I haven't seen the first two films for it. Did enjoy the series a lot though, though the overall story arc for both seasons were so complex that I only just understood them in the final episode of each respective season. Good payoff though.

What's wrong with Evangelion? I've never seen it before. Did they ruin it with a crappy reboot or something?
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Revy wrote:What's wrong with Evangelion? I've never seen it before. Did they ruin it with a crappy reboot or something?
Basically, yes. And it introduced a whole new unnecessary character with a wanky new Eva unit that sidelines an existing character. And then there are the changes to said existing characters...

Or at least so I'm told. I never actually bothered to find out because frankly I was satisfied with the original, and heard/seen enough to just move on from Evangelion for the most part.

All that said, I understand why Chuck would choose to review the reboot instead of the original show. Because its in the form of hour long OVAs, it fits his format better. Plus, if he has never seen the show until now (and that's probably the case), it would be easier for him to just pop it into the DVD player and get the review on. All said and done, I'm actually looking forward to seeing his opinion of Rebuild. I don't intend at this time to watch it so I'm not afraid of spoilers. And Chuck is comprehensive enough that his rundown will be fairly complete, so I can see just how divergent the reboots really are.

Also, reviewing End of Evangelion without reviewing the show just wouldn't work. You can't understand that movie without knowledge of how things got so bad in the first place. I know this because that was how I was introduced to Eva-- a friend of mine thought he would just show it to me when at the time I wasn't even aware anime was a thing. Suffice to say, it wasn't until a couple years later I finally rediscovered it.

Now, given what I said about Eva original not fitting Chuck's format, now I wonder how exactly he will do Cowboy Beebop and Ghost in the Shell.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

well Chuck has reviewed movies in the past like the Two Towers or the Dark Knight, so they'd probably multi-parters with a recap/conclutions at the final part.

that would work at least with the Ghost in the Shell movie as it's quite stand alone.

with Cowboy Beebop it depends on weather it's the whole thing or just the movie.

either way we'll just have to wait and see I suppose.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Revy wrote:What's wrong with Evangelion? I've never seen it before. Did they ruin it with a crappy reboot or something?
To expand a little on what Formless said, there are those who view Rebuild as a crappy reboot and those who view Rebuild as a an improved version of the original. From what I've seen the two sides do not get along very well. I've seen both and the original is a psychological drama while Rebuild has greatly toned down the psych elements and played up the giant robot parts. They're different enough that they're not two sides of the same coin but more like two different coins from the same currency. The extreme divisiveness I've noticed means that some people will call one of the a penny and worthless and the other a high value coin rather often but what can you do? :lol: For my part I happen to enjoy them both for what they are, Chuck's review should be interesting.
Image[
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Formless wrote:All that said, I understand why Chuck would choose to review the reboot instead of the original show.
He's doing it because someone made a request. It's as simple as that. I recall a comment by the person who made the request that he wanted to see whether the remake stood on its own like it was supposed to.

(Also, they're full-length movies, not OVAs.)
Formless wrote:Also, reviewing End of Evangelion without reviewing the show just wouldn't work.
Oh, I know that. It would also take a fair bit of research into anime culture and the director's mental state to be be able to speak about it with authority. The sheer amount of work required to tackle a single 90-minute film was why I was hesitant about ever requesting it.
Lord Revan wrote:with Cowboy Beebop it depends on weather it's the whole thing or just the movie.
I noticed that the clips he showed in the preview were from the series.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Bright wrote:He's doing it because someone made a request. It's as simple as that. I recall a comment by the person who made the request that he wanted to see whether the remake stood on its own like it was supposed to.
Interesting. That makes sense too.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
takemeout_totheblack
Padawan Learner
Location: Knowing where you are is no fun! Back to adventure!

Post by takemeout_totheblack »

What? No Legend of the Galactic Heroes?
JK, THAT would be a hell of an undertaking!
Looking forwards to Star Trek Animated, I remember staying up super late to watch it on teletoon. Aah, nostalgia.
There should be an official metric in regard to stupidity, so we can insult the imbeciles, morons, and RSAs out there the civilized way.
Any ideas for units of measure?

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali fought a 80-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire earth was destroyed.
~George Foreman, February 27th 3000 C.E.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing him review The Clone Wars.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

The April schedule:

6-Apr • City on the Edge of Forever
9-Apr • B5: Voices In The Dark
12-Apr • Firefly: Shindig
14-Apr • Cause And Effect
17-Apr • Cowboy Bebop
19-Apr • Clone Wars:Nightsisters Trilogy
21-Apr • The Visitor
24-Apr • Gargoyles
26-Apr • Ghost In The Shell
28-Apr • Relativity
30-Apr • Yesteryear

Chuck's also revamped his website (and stuff).
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Looking at the line up I'm much more interested in the Live Action reviews than the animated. More B5, more Firefly. And some high quality Star Trek. Which will hopefully be more analysis on it being good than just '"funny" recap' videos.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Destructionator XIII wrote:TAS is a fine show. My guess is he'll do the episodes that tie into other series though: Yesteryear, More Tribbles More Troubles, and Mudd's Passion would be the ones I expect most.
Was it really any good? I remember seeing a few episodes on VHS when I was a kid, and I thought it was decently-made tie in crap like those 80s SW cartoon series Droids and Ewoks
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Formless wrote:All that said, I understand why Chuck would choose to review the reboot instead of the original show. Because its in the form of hour long OVAs, it fits his format better.
This is a nitpick, but I'm pretty sure the reboot movies were in fact theatrically released feature films.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Ah, whatever. :P Theatrically released in Japan, or at least I never saw it in Denver's local listings. :wink:
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

There's a few comparison shots that make a good case for Rebuild being a psuedo-sequel... But, I didn't like the original, so eh.

Still, more excited for GitS than most of the rest combined.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Uraniun235 wrote: This is a nitpick, but I'm pretty sure the reboot movies were in fact theatrically released feature films.
Basically the biggest feature films ever released in Japan, even.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

And they do get runs in the US--just in very small openings at indie/art house theaters or ones near or at a large anime convention.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

What can anyone expect from a single 'review' for a 26 episode series? Gotta save up time for Cause and Effect, I guess.

'Sap to audience' anyone?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'm curious to see how he's going to review ATLA.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That's what 'sap to audience' means. People want to hear about their special love show, not just fuckign Star Trek, so do something absurd like give an entire series a single review. People will love hearing you say the name of their special love show.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

There's one born every minute, after all. Doesn't make it less hilarious. Hopefully the format has changed so that it's not 'entire season gets a third the time of a movie'. :v
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Stark wrote:People will love hearing you say the name of their special love show.
It's internet comfort food.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Stark wrote:'Sap to audience' anyone?
Wait, is that an actual term?

Anyway, Chuck went beyond the call of duty in his review of Mass Effect 2, so I expect a bit more than a single 15 minute video to cover all of ATLA/Cowboy Bebop/Gargoyles. And I don't see anything particularly wrong with him expanding his selection. Not only does it probably gain him more viewers, it also probably makes his work more interesting to himself as well.