Prototype in Star Wars

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

gamer
Padawan Learner

Prototype in Star Wars

Post by gamer »

Elizabeth Greene from the game Prototype suddenly appears in Star Wars can she threaten the Galactic Empire during the Galactic Civil War possibly even take over the galaxy?

Scenarios:
1). Elizabeth Greene appears in the bridge of an Executor Class Star Dreadnought.

2). Elizabeth Greene appears on a random Ecumenopolis world with hundreds of billions of citizens.

To help her out she is given all of Alex Mercer's powers and abilities including the ability to infect/consume individuals and steal their memories, and a finer degree of control over the infected (she can control the infected as if they were her own body). Also assume the virus can take over other races besides humans.

If you haven't played Prototype here are some of the infected's capabilities:

Elizabeth Greene possesses: telepathy (she can communicate with any infected and coordinate their movements)
telekinesis (near the end where you fight her in Prototype she is seen launching salvos of boulders at you at high speed and far enough to knock out aircraft)
energy generation? (also in your fight with Greene she launches salvos of green homing energy orbs that explode and she generates a wave of energy that levels Town Square (it destroyed all infantry, tanks and helicopters in the vicinity and almost killed Alex Mercer))
superhuman strength (smash tanks aparts with ease and easily shrug off sustained fire from artillery bombardments, tank shells, and anti-tank missiles),
Ability to burrow deep underground
Ability to constantly create and modify new variants of the virus (she can create hundreds of new variants a day).

The virus is incredibly contagious it can infect anyone if the virus particles get past the skin such as through open wounds, cuts, or through contact with infected material. Infected individuals are gifted with incredible strength, speed, and durability. Basic infected can punch through a man and survive multiple gunshot wounds, while more advanced infected such as Hunters can smash apart tanks, outrun cars, and survive direct hits from anti-tank missiles. The virus is also extremely adaptable changing its genetic code in seconds. Fortunately the virus is relatively easy to detect because upon being infected the individual is subject to horrific mutation and deformation and also the infected release small amounts of the virus into the open air which can probably be detected with specialized virus detection equipment. The infection can also infect buildings by consuming the building in infected biomass, this infected mass is called a Hive and it serves two purposes helps spread the infection and produce and modify new infected forms like Hunters in minutes, it is basically a biofactory, which the infected feed with new genetic material from the bodies they gather.

More info here:http://prototype.wikia.com/wiki/Infected
Kosh
Redshirt

Re: Prototype in Star Wars

Post by Kosh »

It seems to me that the ability to survive antitank missile fire and the ability to survive multi-gigaton orbital bombardment are vastly different and should not be conflated. If all else fails, the Empire can simply slag the city she's in, though this obviously wouldn't be a desirable option. On a slightly lower level of collateral damage, haven't Star Wars fighter guns been calculated to have multi-kiloton yields? That's also not something she's going to be able to shrug off.

Telekinesis, telepathy, and superhuman strength aren't exactly unheard of in Star Wars, and the energy generation you mention probably wouldn't be enough to tip the scales against professional troops with support weapons like E-WEBs. That said, sneak attacks on civilians to spread the infection would be a perfectly valid tactic, if she appeares on the city world, but it seems like the moment she becomes visible she'd be fried. Appearing on the Executor's bridge more-or-less guarantees death; she'd certainly be able to kill the bridge crew, but afterwards, there's something like 38,000 troops aboard (according to Wookiepedia), many of them in highly durable NBC suits and with institutional experience fighting the supernatural. I give this to the Empire, hands down.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Lizzy has no telekinetic powers. In the boss battle she's sucking rocks up from the ground to spit them at you. I'm pretty sure there's no TK involved.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
gamer
Padawan Learner

Post by gamer »

I wanted to add two other scenarios:
3). Elizabeth Greene appears on a random backwater planet, but still technologically advanced.

4). Elizabeth Greene appears on a large civilian ship or Star Destroyer.

Also forgive me for my lack of Star Wars knowledge but... I don't recall seeing TIE fighters making explosions like this from its laser cannons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZxmDJYBKKo. Now that is a multi-kiloton explosion, instead laser cannon yields seem to be in the range of modern autocannons or maybe tank cannons as shown in all the movies. If they were multi-kiloton yields simply firing onto the ground in a forest could cause widespread devestation spreading for miles. Also the storm troopers themselves do not seem that heavily armored (dying from arrows and large stones fighting the Ewoks), and their personal weapons such as the blaster rifle seem to be only as powerful as modern day infantry weapons, so stopping Elizabeth Greene with infantry is almost out of the question since she can punch through tanks and survive numerous blasts from 120mm HEAT cannons, anti-tank missiles, and artillery, especially since she is given Alex Mercer's abilities as well who survived a close-range megaton yield nuclear blast. Now Star Wars space weaponry are indeed very powerful and a heavy turbo laser may be able to pump out low megaton levels of fire power so slagging planets should be a relatively easy task for them.

Also I'm not sure about the telekinesis abilities as this wasn't explained in game, the only thing I saw was Elizabeth Greene somehow throwing a constant stream of large car sized rocks from out of the ground towards you accurately enough to take out high flying helicopters.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Why should a laser beam of extremely high power make the same kind of explosion as a nuclear bomb? A rifle bullet has more energy than a firecracker, yet a firecracker makes a visually more impressive explosion while the rifle round doesn't make any explosion at all when it punches a hole through a person's head.

Similarly, a high yield laser won't make explosions that look like nuclear bombs. They'll melt things and cut through things without producing mushroom clouds.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:A rifle bullet has more energy than a firecracker, yet a firecracker makes a visually more impressive explosion while the rifle round doesn't make any explosion at all when it punches a hole through a person's head.
I don't think this is correct. Firecrackers do release much more explosive energy than a bullet. Bullets actually have pretty miniscule amounts of energy. You probably expend more energy climbing a two story building than is contained in a moving rifle bullet.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Why should a laser beam of extremely high power make the same kind of explosion as a nuclear bomb?

<snip>

Similarly, a high yield laser won't make explosions that look like nuclear bombs. They'll melt things and cut through things without producing mushroom clouds.
Because it would superheat the target into expanding plasma. Lasers melt and cut things instead of exploding them because they aren't applying the energy necessary to instantly vaporize them. When you put that kind of energy in a small area very fast, it can be expected to dissipate violently. If you hit something with rapidly applied, nuclear levels of energy I'd expect a big explosion instead of just melting, whether it is from a nuke, a laser, a meteorite, or most anything else.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Sarevok wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:A rifle bullet has more energy than a firecracker, yet a firecracker makes a visually more impressive explosion while the rifle round doesn't make any explosion at all when it punches a hole through a person's head.
I don't think this is correct. Firecrackers do release much more explosive energy than a bullet. Bullets actually have pretty miniscule amounts of energy. You probably expend more energy climbing a two story building than is contained in a moving rifle bullet.
Also, a rifle bullet hitting a head is delivering its energy more slowly over a larger area as it drives a hole through the head, and will probably carry off a substantial portion of its energy with it as it exits out the other side.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
gamer
Padawan Learner

Post by gamer »

I know Greene's fate will probably be sealed if she appeared on a city world, all it takes is someone getting a distress call out, the Empire sends it's military if they find the situation hopeless then they will probably BDZ the planet most likely annihilating the infection and everything else there unless she somehow sneaks onto a fleeing ship before the bombardment takes place and before the planet is quarantined.

But what about the other scenarios such as appearing on the bridge of an Executor can she take it over with its crew of 280,734 men. Granted it would be very difficult to concentrate significant firepower in the confines of a ship due to all the corridors and lack of large open spaces except for the Hangar. Since she has Alex Mercer's powers the people she infects or consumes will give their memories, skills, and abilities to her, and assume she has total control over the infected allowing them to be more effective and essentially an extension of her own body.

Also since force powers seem to be genetic (Midi-chlorians) what happens if she consumes/infects a Force-sensitive person, and gains their skills?
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

It also depends on the ear she shows up in. As an example, if she showed up while the Emperor was being reborn then he might personally slap her down.

That said, in the first scenario why would you start her on the bridge? Wouldn't it make more sense to start her in a hanger bay, or stowed away on a shuttle or something? I mean, even without super powers a person teleporting onto a bridge would be able to do some serious damage if they were armed.

Even so that's the worst place for her to start anyway as it means she's no trapped. Given that Star Wars sensors can tell what's in a ship by a close flyby any shuttles and the like will get minced before she can infect another vessel. The Star Dreadnought itself will be destroyed by a fleet after word of the infection gets out. All that's assuming that she doesn't eat a thermal detonator and die on the spot.

The other scenarios make me wonder if she'd have any way of infecting non-humans.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
gamer
Padawan Learner

Post by gamer »

Norade wrote:It also depends on the ear she shows up in. As an example, if she showed up while the Emperor was being reborn then he might personally slap her down.

That said, in the first scenario why would you start her on the bridge? Wouldn't it make more sense to start her in a hanger bay, or stowed away on a shuttle or something? I mean, even without super powers a person teleporting onto a bridge would be able to do some serious damage if they were armed.

Even so that's the worst place for her to start anyway as it means she's no trapped. Given that Star Wars sensors can tell what's in a ship by a close flyby any shuttles and the like will get minced before she can infect another vessel. The Star Dreadnought itself will be destroyed by a fleet after word of the infection gets out. All that's assuming that she doesn't eat a thermal detonator and die on the spot.

The other scenarios make me wonder if she'd have any way of infecting non-humans.
Good point, A more reasonable way of getting onto the Star Dreadnought would be to be taken prisoner or somehow having somebody willingly take her on the ship maybe consuming a pilot and flying into the hangar.

Also another point I would like to make about the infected such as Elizabeth Greene or Alex Mercer what makes them so hard to kill is not armor-like skin, but their insane regeneration, which is limited by the amount of biomass available (Alex is somehow capable of absorbing and storing the biomass of hundreds of people for later use, and Greene seems to be able store an unlimited amount of biomass (she turns herself into a giant multi-story monster in the end to fight Alex)) the additional biomass does increase their weight and density significantly, which is shown by Alex putting cracks into the ground when he jumps, infected have much higher body temperatures than normal humans, and infected are incapable of swimming. Alex Mercer and the rest of the infected are harmed by small arms fire but they regenerate the damage in seconds, Alex even regenerated from a close range nuclear explosion designed to completely obliterate Manhattan island. Also imagine the infected with force powers :twisted:

Also what do you think would be the optimal yet most believable scenario for the infected to get off the ground and become a threat so I could write an interesting fanfic :lol:
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Greene growing that monstrous shell around herself was a side-effect of the tumor that Mercer infected her with, along with the creation of the Supreme Hunter as far as I know.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

gamer
Padawan Learner

Post by gamer »

Metahive wrote:Greene growing that monstrous shell around herself was a side-effect of the tumor that Mercer infected her with, along with the creation of the Supreme Hunter as far as I know.
Well the Supreme Hunter was created through the cancerous genetic material Alex attempted to infect her with, the cancer almost killed Alex but through consuming some of the antibodies of certain Hunters he was able to defeat it, with Ragland's help they recreated the cancer and injected into Greene during Alex's second confrontation with her and her body immediately rejected it and somehow modified it in a span of a few seconds turning it into an intelligent killing machine with Alex Mercer's powers.

The monstrous shell she surrounded herself with in her fight with Alex Mercer was probably the result of the literal truck-load of Bloodtox the military injected into the ground right on top of her (Bloodtox was a poison the military created to kill the infected instantly upon contact, unfortunately it seems in the span of a few days the infected had become more resistant to Bloodtox) or more than likely that was Greene's "armor", but this had nothing to do with the tumor she was injected with.
gamer
Padawan Learner

Post by gamer »

Any good fanfic ideas for Prototype and Star Wars? Also any good favorable infection scenarios so the infection can get off the ground and seem like a threat to the Galactic Empire
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Why does it need to be such a large threat? It would be just as good a story if you focused on taking on say an ISD or say an Executor class ship and spent the time you would focus on the large scale on something smaller like characters instead.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Star Wars EU authors are opposite of 40K authors. Everything has to be galaxy changing. So if Protoype were to crossover in typical fashion it would end up with Alex Mercer dueling Palpatine.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

My analogies may be wrong, but my point is that a high-yield energy weapon might not necessarily produce the same visual effects as a high-yield nuclear explosive. A kinetic impactor with an energy of XYZ-fattotons would, say, penetrate through a building and punch through numerous walls due to the energy - whereas a TNT explosive with similar energy would explode in a giant fireball baysplosion.
Sarevok wrote:
Okay. Uh, how about an armor-piercing .50 caliber round. That bullet, hitting a wall, just produces a big hole. Whereas a small firecracker produces a more visually impressive flash and bang. Yet the former would have far more energy than the latter.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:My analogies may be wrong, but my point is that a high-yield energy weapon might not necessarily produce the same visual effects as a high-yield nuclear explosive. A kinetic impactor with an energy of XYZ-fattotons would, say, penetrate through a building and punch through numerous walls due to the energy - whereas a TNT explosive with similar energy would explode in a giant fireball baysplosion.
True- but the difference depends on details. If something strikes a solid object with immense energy, but the object is not destroyed due to exceptional durability (like AT-AT armor) or size (like the ground), you expect some shit to bounce back and sidescatter and stuff. So there should be considerable collateral damage- certainly enough to start fires and whatnot.

It won't be totally omnidirectional or just like a nuclear fireball. But all those bigatons of energy or whatever have to go somewhere, they don't just disappear when they hit a soft target.
Sarevok wrote:I don't think this is correct. Firecrackers do release much more explosive energy than a bullet. Bullets actually have pretty miniscule amounts of energy. You probably expend more energy climbing a two story building than is contained in a moving rifle bullet.
Okay. Uh, how about an armor-piercing .50 caliber round. That bullet, hitting a wall, just produces a big hole. Whereas a small firecracker produces a more visually impressive flash and bang. Yet the former would have far more energy than the latter.
I dunno, man. What a .50 cal can do to a wall is, from what few bits of footage I've seen, a lot more impressive visually than a string of firecrackers.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Those targets radiate waste heat through neutrinos. This is why we say relativistic fighters shoot multimegaton bullets when fools say all they saw were WW2-speed fighters shooting unimpressive pew-pews. That, and intense jamming. :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Actually, the lower limit for SW fighter firepower is 60 GJ per shot based on the way they fucked up the death star surface. If we assume all stuff they hit was volatile and cut it by an order of magnitude, that's 1.4 tonnes of TNT per shot or so. That won't necessarily produce mushroom clouds when fired in atmosphere, just lots of heat.

But why are people jumping straight to orbital bombardment and fighter combat? The Empire has no shortage of specialized equipment they could use to fight the infection without wiping out entire cities. It comes with the territorry of being an interstellar superpower.

Of course the particulars will vary with such nice and easy to predict variables like "Is this particular city world administered competently?", but I don't see why the instant response would be RAR BOMB IT TO PIECES (although it does work to show just how futile an attempt at taking over the galaxy would be: with every obstacle Greene overcomes she gets to see two dozen new ones on the horizon, until they become insurmountable)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

PeZook wrote:Actually, the lower limit for SW fighter firepower is 60 GJ per shot based on the way they fucked up the death star surface. If we assume all stuff they hit was volatile and cut it by an order of magnitude, that's 1.4 tonnes of TNT per shot or so. That won't necessarily produce mushroom clouds when fired in atmosphere, just lots of heat.
We have much better evidence than that. Just watch the asteroids vaped by Slave-1s fighter class guns during AOTC.
But why are people jumping straight to orbital bombardment and fighter combat? The Empire has no shortage of specialized equipment they could use to fight the infection without wiping out entire cities. It comes with the territorry of being an interstellar superpower.
Red Light could be contained by a conventional military operations. Just land a stormtrooper force and shoot anything that looks mutated.

Black light is more iffy. Although Alex Mercer was the only one we have seen it's much much more potent. For one it can shape shift so well only viral detectors built by the people who designed blacklight to begin with can find it.
gamer
Padawan Learner

Post by gamer »

Sarevok wrote:
PeZook wrote:Actually, the lower limit for SW fighter firepower is 60 GJ per shot based on the way they fucked up the death star surface. If we assume all stuff they hit was volatile and cut it by an order of magnitude, that's 1.4 tonnes of TNT per shot or so. That won't necessarily produce mushroom clouds when fired in atmosphere, just lots of heat.
We have much better evidence than that. Just watch the asteroids vaped by Slave-1s fighter class guns during AOTC.
Red Light could be contained by a conventional military operations. Just land a stormtrooper force and shoot anything that looks mutated.

Black light is more iffy. Although Alex Mercer was the only one we have seen it's much much more potent. For one it can shape shift so well only viral detectors built by the people who designed blacklight to begin with can find it.
For this scenario Greene has access to both variants of the virus and has complete control over all infected.

Star Wars weapon yields seem horribly inconsistent with laser blowing up asteroids and making large explosions, but at the same time only making small autocannon like explosions when being used on the ground, maybe they use different laser for different purposes? Also at the same time this really doesn't matter unless you are trying to say that TIE fighters suddenly just sweep the infected ground with their high kiloton yield lasers, which will not happen, in the movies laser cannons never made massive mushroom cloud type explosions.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

gamer wrote:
Sarevok wrote:

For this scenario Greene has access to both variants of the virus and has complete control over all infected.

Star Wars weapon yields seem horribly inconsistent with laser blowing up asteroids and making large explosions, but at the same time only making small autocannon like explosions when being used on the ground, maybe they use different laser for different purposes? Also at the same time this really doesn't matter unless you are trying to say that TIE fighters suddenly just sweep the infected ground with their high kiloton yield lasers, which will not happen, in the movies laser cannons never made massive mushroom cloud type explosions.
Actually we have no reason to doubt that they could if they needed to given the high end yields we've seen. However they have things like bombs and missiles doing that in most cases anyway. They also have things like repulsor tanks which can fire and dash away before they can be caught, and flying vehicles that can hover at heights above what a chopper would usually bother with.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

gamer wrote: Star Wars weapon yields seem horribly inconsistent with laser blowing up asteroids and making large explosions, but at the same time only making small autocannon like explosions when being used on the ground, maybe they use different laser for different purposes? Also at the same time this really doesn't matter unless you are trying to say that TIE fighters suddenly just sweep the infected ground with their high kiloton yield lasers, which will not happen, in the movies laser cannons never made massive mushroom cloud type explosions.
How are they inconsistent? We have fighters blowing up structures on the Death Star (low end figure 60 GJ per shot or 14 tonnes of TNT), we have a riced up gunboat blowing apart largeish asteroids (crawling into kiloton range), we have capital ship guns vaporizing asteroids in the Hoth field, and finally ground weapons: antipersonnel blasters mounted on vehicles frying people and setting trees on fire, and handheld weapons blowing out chunks of concrete walls.

Seems pretty consistent actually.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Let me throw in here that zombie plagues aren't even something new to the SW galaxy. Chances are the authorities will react to Blacklight as they did to the Rakghoul plague which has many similar attributes (highly infectious, grotesquely mutates victims, steered by central intelligence etc.). The outbreak on Jebble for example was solved by extensive orbital bombardment.