Space Marines=Death Toys

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Space Marines=Death Toys

Post by SAMAS »

Or so he says. Apparently, Warhammer 40,000 is part of a conspiracy to turn children into, and I quote: "Genetically Engineered Mind Controlled Future Soldiers".
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Space Marines=Death Toys

Post by Stark »

I thought it was a deliberately dumbed-down scam for selling woeful fanfiction and massively overpriced miniatures. My eyes are open!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

:roll: When are people like this going to start realizing that kids aren't fucking stupid and can understand the idea of fiction just as well as they can?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Look Hav if even one child decided they wanted to grow up to be implanted with geneseed (which sounds pretty dirty) then WH40k is evil.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

How the hell did people get this idea that the Games Workshop dudes ever intended a world nakedly discribed as the "Grim Darkness of the Far Future" as a veiw of how the future should be? While i am conviced there are people dumb enough to buy it, i never the less suspect that this might be a act of high end Trolling aimed the Warhams (or whatever you WH40k fans call yourselves).

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

But don't you see guys, this is a very real possibility. Through the influence of this blasphemous game, any day now - in only ten thousand years, give or take a paltry millennium - the future it depicts will become reality.

Seriously now. Nostradamus is one thing, but when have pewter toys ever lied to you?
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Especially when they're so EXPENSIVE and tied to a brand-slave driven marketing machine, right?

JUST LIKE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Stark wrote:Especially when they're so EXPENSIVE and tied to a brand-slave driven marketing machine, right?

That's completely inaccurate as a comparison, Strak. I can get Pope Ratzinger in his Demolisher Armour for 20 quid over here, so tell me why I should stick with GW products?
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Look you can't do that; the army list clearly states the College of Cardinals only gets Demolisher armour at a +9pt IF it's deployed in full which is not viable at your level, not even if you ditch the laiety requirements.

Oh shit he's the Pope now, I don't have the newest sourcebooks, MUST PURCHASE MORE PRODUCTS!
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Stark wrote:Look you can't do that; the army list clearly states the College of Cardinals only gets Demolisher armour at a +9pt IF it's deployed in full which is not viable at your level, not even if you ditch the laiety requirements.

Oh shit he's the Pope now, I don't have the newest sourcebooks, MUST PURCHASE MORE PRODUCTS!
Yeah, I hear there's an errata out. Doesn't matter; I need it for the diorama I'm doing for the annuals, a gripping scene in which Lord Protector Johannis Paulus lies dying on the battlefield and passes the torch to the young Cardinal. So you see I care fuck all for game balance. Hell, I haven't even played INRI 2K in years.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Great. When we get mind control technology or the ability to genetically engineer people who have already been born that might actually have some relevance to reality.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

I went to their home page, as I was curious to find out what PBS stood for. I still don't know. Paranoid Bat Shit crazy? I don't know, maybe. Tremble before the New World Order and their Space Marines!
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Darmalus wrote:I went to their home page, as I was curious to find out what PBS stood for. I still don't know. Paranoid Bat Shit crazy? I don't know, maybe. Tremble before the New World Order and their Space Marines!
I'll admit if there was a New World Order that could do that, I'd sign up. Completely rebuilding the human body? Control of the mind? That level of biotechnology has so many useful purposes.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Samuel wrote:
Darmalus wrote:I went to their home page, as I was curious to find out what PBS stood for. I still don't know. Paranoid Bat Shit crazy? I don't know, maybe. Tremble before the New World Order and their Space Marines!
I'll admit if there was a New World Order that could do that, I'd sign up. Completely rebuilding the human body? Control of the mind? That level of biotechnology has so many useful purposes.
As I have said to my brother, who believes all the 2012, NWO, Illuminati, Mason, etc. crap, if there is an organization as capable and powerful as you claim, I don't want to fight them, I want on the payroll!
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Eleas wrote:
Stark wrote:Especially when they're so EXPENSIVE and tied to a brand-slave driven marketing machine, right?

That's completely inaccurate as a comparison, Strak. I can get Pope Ratzinger in his Demolisher Armour for 20 quid over here, so tell me why I should stick with GW products?
I'm pretty sure Wargames Factory has a 5 Pope Sprue for only $5, but the quality is terrible. If you don't mind metal, there's always Gamezone and Pig Iron. Of course, if you buy from them you'll be a heretic, and HERETICS NEED TO BURN!

Wow, the programming does work. Guess I'd better buy some Goldswords.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Rochey
Youngling

Post by Rochey »

So, does the guy who wrote this not understand the concept of fiction, or what? :wtf:
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

He propably does (i do not think he belives that 40K is real), but he seems to think that it DELIBERATELY written to brain-wash children. Or, at least, that children will not be able to resists the "temptation" and automatically assume 40K ethics.

I think 40K is the worst target he could have picked. In 9 years, i have met a HUGE number of 40K-players, of all ages (from 8 to at least 67), and NO ONE, no matter how personally weak/instable he was took its ethics seriously.
Unlike, say, Trek or Wars (we have Trekkies arguing with Trek philosphy for real world concepts and "Jedis").
I guess 40K is just too outlandish to be taken serious by anyone.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Games Workshop are the secret chiefs of the world.
This makes perfect sense.

I will, however, have to suggest to their ancient masters the next time I see them that they skip the whole future genetically engineered soldier business and directly apply their mind control technology to the business of making people buy toy soldiers.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Supposedly in the new Catholic Chatechism army book for INRI 2,000 5th Edition they're bringing back the much beloved charcter from 2nd Edition:

Armand Jean du Plessis de Richelieu, Cardinal-Duc de Richelieu. In 2nd, as commander of your army he provided a global +1 strength of all attacks against fortifications, and allowed you to purchase spies without the usual unit restritions. Characters are less powerful in 5th, but he's still likely to be terrifying.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

But but I want to be a deamon worshiping chaos guy, why doesn't he cover that? and what about the Tau and the greater good, they're teach kids that we can all get along and be happy.

ok, seriously, what a nut job, and I see he's using GW intellectual property with gusto. How long til the GW IP police are after him?
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Azazal wrote:But but I want to be a deamon worshiping chaos guy, why doesn't he cover that? and what about the Tau and the greater good, they're teach kids that we can all get along and be happy.

ok, seriously, what a nut job, and I see he's using GW intellectual property with gusto. How long til the GW IP police are after him?
No, the Tau embrace the concept of complete and total obedience to the state, castes, a secret cabal of leaders and communism! Obviously they are the evil brainwashing part- after all people claim they are the good guys even though they mind control people, set up interment camps, commit genocide and other fun stuff. Not to mention they have the flashy stuff to get kids hooked.
I will, however, have to suggest to their ancient masters the next time I see them that they skip the whole future genetically engineered soldier business and directly apply their mind control technology to the business of making people buy toy soldiers.
Why not go straight to "mail us money"?
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

:wtf: Despite what many people complain about, GW isn't exactly marketed towards the 10 and under crowd, and the game is expensive enough that any kid under the age of 16 (in the US anyway, that usually the legal working age) is getting their stuff from their parents. So (to make a generalization) everyone playing this game is either under parental supervision or an adult. What a dumbass.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Lord Relvenous wrote::wtf: Despite what many people complain about, GW isn't exactly marketed towards the 10 and under crowd, and the game is expensive enough that any kid under the age of 16 (in the US anyway, that usually the legal working age) is getting their stuff from their parents. So (to make a generalization) everyone playing this game is either under parental supervision or an adult. What a dumbass.
Now I suppose you are holding parents responsible for what their kids do with the money they give them? Are you a parent? if you are you probably know how hard it is.

etc etc etc...

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Themightytom wrote:
Lord Relvenous wrote::wtf: Despite what many people complain about, GW isn't exactly marketed towards the 10 and under crowd, and the game is expensive enough that any kid under the age of 16 (in the US anyway, that usually the legal working age) is getting their stuff from their parents. So (to make a generalization) everyone playing this game is either under parental supervision or an adult. What a dumbass.
Now I suppose you are holding parents responsible for what their kids do with the money they give them? Are you a parent? if you are you probably know how hard it is.

etc etc etc...
Oh, I don't believe that it's a problem to let your kid play 40K, that wasn't my argument. My point was that if he hates this game so much, he should recognize the fact that kids (not talking about teenagers) are only going to be playing this with the full support of their parents. Yes it might be hard to control your child's spending, but when a full army costs over $300 is most cases, you'd have to be an idiot to not notice what your 9 year old is buying.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Ha! I thought this crowd had moved on to video games as the new evil, that was a pretty good flashback to the days when D&D was corrupting us.

That said, I find it interesting that she (?) assumes the game wouldn't be played or run under supervision. How many kids under twelve can paint decently anyways? Hell, my son (8) is begging to read the novels and comics on my bookcase but I refuse, mostly because the comics have brains being blown out of skulls and such.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.