Two SG-1 questions

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Two SG-1 questions

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

1. Are the new episodes of SG-1 being showed on Showtime or Sci-Fi or both?

2. The odd looking rifle they carry, is that a real life weapon? It looks an awful lot like the weapon Major Kusanagi has in Ghost in the Shell. If so,
what is its name and who uses it?

Thanks in advance for your help.
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

well on sci-fi they are showing one new season, I don't have HBO though so I can't answer the other one.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

They use what I think is called an FN P-90 on the show. Such a weapon does exist.
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

This is it's last season on scifi. And the gun is real, but illeagal in US, but they film in canada.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Raxmei wrote:They use what I think is called an FN P-90 on the show. Such a weapon does exist.
Haha, bullshit.

Its cartridge, the FN 5.7x28mm, is restricted to law enforcement and military personnel in the USA.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

It looks terribly uncomfortable to hold. Curious, there is not a lot of information on google search for the weapon. Most of the sites I found were related in one way or another to role playing.
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Re: Two SG-1 questions

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:1. Are the new episodes of SG-1 being showed on Showtime or Sci-Fi or both?

2. The odd looking rifle they carry, is that a real life weapon? It looks an awful lot like the weapon Major Kusanagi has in Ghost in the Shell. If so,

1. Sci-Fi only now, though reruns may be syndicated on broadcast, depending where you live.

2. Depends on what weapon you're referring to. I've seen them carry MP-5s and P-90s, but I assure you both are real weapons.
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

bloody no edit...
http://palpatine.chez.tiscali.fr/Warfar ... 0/P90.html

You probably found little because it is not the P-90, but the P90.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:It looks terribly uncomfortable to hold. Curious, there is not a lot of information on google search for the weapon. Most of the sites I found were related in one way or another to role playing.
http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg13-e.htm

Its actually quite comfortable, and a very good design most respects, especially its ability to penetrate body armor, while not punching clear through unprotected humans. However the magazine is very prone to jamming. As a result Thailand is scrapping it, and a number of nations have stopped looking into it.
Mr. B wrote:This is it's last season on scifi. And the gun is real, but illeagal in US, but they film in canada.

For filming movies and TV shows, all guns are modified to fire theatrical blanks only. The barrels can fit a normal round and are often welded to the chamber so you can't swap them out for the real thing without a huge amount of work.

There are companies, which do nothing but supply such weapons to production companies. Some times they do the modifications them selves, but often weapons manufactures will produce very limited numbers of blank only weapons for moive/Tv use.

That’s why Star Gate SG1 has been able to have M249 firing on full auto among other things.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: Two SG-1 questions

Post by Alyeska »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:1. Are the new episodes of SG-1 being showed on Showtime or Sci-Fi or both?

IIRC the new episodes are showing on Sci-Fi only (because they are the ones financing the series now).

As for the weapons. All traditional weaponry (fires bullets) used in the SG-1 series are real weapons.

A short list of the weapons used so far would include:

M16
M4
P90
MP5
M249
M2
M1 Benelli
SPAS-12
USAS-12
M9

And of course some other various weapons have been used, but all are real.

As for the P90 (the weapon in question), that weapon is very real, and is shown somewhat realistically in the series. While the weapon is prone to jamming, it seems the combat style used in SG-1 lends itself to somewhat cleaner enviroments that avoid jamming. Though it would be nice to see that problem occur somewhat. Other then that, the P90 is in many ways superior to the MP5. Larger clip, better armor penetration, longer barrel (thanks to Bullpup design), longer range, smaller profile, etc...
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."