Other SF planet killers!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

My person favorite is the planet killer in Titan AE
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

[quote="Rob Wilson]
*Sigh* You call yourself 2000AD and you don't mention Skizz, the ABC Warriors, The Dark Judges or D.R. and Quinch when they're bored.

These youngsters*tch*
:)

[/quote]

I didn't name myself other the excellent comic of the same name, hence my non mentioning of some of it's brilliant characters. No. I orionally thought of the name in the year 2000 and since my initials are AD I thought it would be a good name. I have used it since, apart form some places where the name is taken where I go by the name Vorbis.

[quote="IDMR]
Servest thou the Emperor?
[/quote]

Hah! Imperial lap dog. I serve the dark lords of Chaos. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR OF MANKIND!

*ahem* no i don't serve the emperor.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Iceberg wrote:Yes! Grow, my little thread! GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!!
Been eating those magic beans again, Ice?
*waves Jedi hand* You heard nothing.
"Mama, why did someone just say "nothing?"
Datana
Jedi Master

Temblor Bomb and more Robotech

Post by Datana »

Anyone remember the Temblor Bomb from the Wing Commander series? It had to be dropped down a large fault in the target planet's surface, so delivery options and targets were kind of limited, but it should qualify as a planet-killing weapon. Unfortunately, it's been years since I've played WC3 so I don't remember many details about it apart from the fact that it was supposed to split planets apart.

Concerning the earlier discussion about the Zentradi bombardment of Earth and Palmier in Macross, the original Japanese version had a few scenes that were changed in Robotech for some reason or another that might elucidate the issue a bit more. In the Palmier bombardment (in "First Contact"), we see the Zentradi open fire on the planet, the shots striking home, and then numerous small explosions that fade out revealing a completely grey and cratered surface on the side visible to the "camera." This is not a crust melting action (like a BDZ), but did appear to eliminate surface water and vegetation. In "Love Fades Away," the Zentradi made two volleys against Earth; the first was reported by the Earth military as causing 30% damage in all "areas," though whether this was referring to military installations or the entire planetary surface is unclear. The second bombardment reduced the surface to what was seen in the final third of the series -- habitable, but just barely due to little vegetation or animal life remaining on the surface, though surface water remained untouched. If you take Macross Plus and Macross 7 (the spin-offs) as canon, a small fraction of a percentage of humans survived the attack (a rather large number; if only .1% survived, that would still be around 4-6 million, significantly more than the 50,000 that the Macross carried). Again, this is not even close to a BDZ event, and was less devastating than the destruction at Palmier (surprisingly ineffectual, as Bodolza intended to destroy the Earth and the Macross for hosting what he thought was the Protoculture); this certainly is not planet-killing. I would have to agree with Durandal's assessment for the non-event of the bombardment, though given the different goal of the Zentradi Bodol Fleet in Macross (annihilation of the Protoculture offshoot rather than capturing the SDF-1 and its Protoculture supplies), the action is a bit more justified.

The Zentradi bombardment in "Do You Remember Love?" ("Robotech: Attack of the Bionoids" in the U.S.) wasn't shown on camera, but the aftermath was. This was pretty similar to the one in the series, with the exception of the black rain and the (mild) radioactivity (Hikaru [Rick] mentions having to add anti-radiation drugs to the food, Trek-ish as that sounds [though a dose of KI probably wouldn't have hurt]). In a month of searching, no survivors were found and all the wildlife seen was dead, so the bombardment probably accomplished its goal of exterminating surface life. Like the TV series, the surface was still survivable without environmental protection, so this doesn't count as a planet kill either.

Re: Other SF planet killers!

Post by Guest »

Durandal wrote:
Description: In Robotech Episode #27 ("Force of Arms"), the Zentraedi Grand Fleet attacks Earth in a desperate bid to recover the SDF-1 Macross. Part of this attack comes in the form of a bombardment by ships identified in subordinate material as Rineunadou Lojmeauan -class monitors. This bombardment destroyed/depopulated nearly 70% of the Earth's surface in a single volley. The Zentraedi were unable to follow up their attack and finish off Earth, thanks to the timely interference of General Breetai's Adoclas Fleet, Admiral Henry J. Gloval and the Earth Orbital Fleet, and some truly evil psychological warfare (Reba West's singing has been banned by various international military conventions). However, a similar attack destroyed the extrasolar planet Palmier in two such volleys, suggesting that a follow-up volley would have similarly destroyed the Earth.
The observed effects didn't indicate damage anywhere near a planet killing event. If you'll remember, they began rebuilding Earth after only a few years, and by the time Robotech: The Sentinels rolled around (when Rick and Lisa got married), Earth was back to its good old self. So, they managed to get the planet back into shape within 10 to 15 years. This is consistent with the visuals we saw, which indicated only moderate damage to the actual surface, while there was almost no penetration beneath the surface. If planet life was beginning to grow back within a few months, the bombardment just couldn't have been all that effective. Although, I've heard that the fleet was starved for protoculture, but this seems unlikely. Why would Dolza order his entire fleet to jump to Earth, virtually deplete their supply of protoculture, and then perform an ineffectual bombardment of the planet? It makes little strategic sense, and this is supposed to be the best guy the Zentradi have to offer. It's a waste of resources, taxes an already depleted fleet of its energy supply and consequentially leaves it ripe for the picking for Zor's old battle fortress and Brittai's fleet. Even from a psychological warfare standpoint, the plan seems completely foolish.

Palmier's bombardment was a little more obscure. We saw a hail of Zentradi weapons fire at the planet, and then a poorly done fade effect to a crater-like surface. Bear in mind that we only saw one side of the planet, and the fleet, as far as we know, only fired at one part of the planet, which was more than adequate for Brittai's demonstration. Of course, Lisa Hayes, who's never seen anything like that, would blurt "Why have you destroyed it?!"

The BDZ performed on Camaas, on the other hand, left it dead and barren for generations to come.
I actually have a theory on that. The difference in power is incredibly. If only on screen cannon evidence is too be used, Camaas was popped with 27 shots. and then something like a thousand simerly shots only did 75% damage? Personally I think it was Buldoza. While thier is only circumstancly evidence to surport this, It does make sense. Why was there there no second attack on earth? There is a sizable time difference between there bonbardment and the grand cannon attack. If there goal at the moment was total destruction of the earth, wouldn't they continue with a second bondbardment? Even after the grand cannon, and before the macross attacked, they only appeared to attack the Grand Cannon base. I think Buldoza wasn't sure about if the Macross and the Rogue zentradi would try to flee the system. If he had compleatly destroyed the world, it might of scared them off. So he decided to try a wounded hostage ploy. While this theory prob doesn't account for everything it does go a long way to explain the energy difference.
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

Just to let everyone know. I'm the Guest above. I though I signed in before posting, sorry.
EmperorSolo51
Jedi Knight

I am not Sure If these can be considewred Planet Killers

Post by EmperorSolo51 »

I am not Sure if Cannon Barge and the Battleship Libra from Gundam Wing can be considered planet killers, becuase we never saw either barge or Libra fired at earth at full power.
Last edited by EmperorSolo51 on 2002-07-04 08:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

I'm not sure that Barge had enough oomph to kill a planet...it was meant to kill colonies. But Libra was definitely a planet-killer, though it wasn't able to complete its mission.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
phongn
Rebel Leader

Re: Temblor Bomb and more Robotech

Post by phongn »

Datana wrote:Anyone remember the Temblor Bomb from the Wing Commander series? It had to be dropped down a large fault in the target planet's surface, so delivery options and targets were kind of limited, but it should qualify as a planet-killing weapon. Unfortunately, it's been years since I've played WC3 so I don't remember many details about it apart from the fact that it was supposed to split planets apart.
As seen in WCP, it did not destroy Kilrah. There's a huge debris ring around it and it's pretty much molten, but not destroyed like the DS would.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Anyone mentioned the Culture yet? :p
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Anyone mentioned the Culture yet? :p
Oohh, here comes the gridfire again :mrgreen:
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

His Divine Shadow wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:Anyone mentioned the Culture yet? :p
Oohh, here comes the gridfire again :mrgreen:
Bleh, if Mr. Wong forbids the Culture to come here then so be it. 8)

This board is spiffy though, and no mods! It's like a spiffy ASVS... only less heated.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I would also like to draw attention to the Kiikkets, Tsar and most other Dreadnoughts in Colony Wars (mini Death Stars essentially), the Sha'Har Red Sun biomechanical ship, various Culture weaponry and fusion missiles in I-War like reaction warheads in Macross (I hate the whole Robotech thing) that pop planets.
EmperorSolo51
Jedi Knight

Here's one

Post by EmperorSolo51 »

Didn't Mike Nelson use a Molotov Cocktail to blow up the Planet of the Apes in an episode of MST3k?
Last edited by EmperorSolo51 on 2002-07-04 08:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Re: Here's one

EmperorSolo51 wrote:Didn't Mike Nelson use a Molotov Coacktail to blow up the Planet of the Apes in an episode of MST3k?
And in the RD ep. "White Hole", Lister plays pool with planets and potentially wipes out many lifeforms if they lived on those. :shock:
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I actually have a theory on that. The difference in power is incredibly. If only on screen cannon evidence is too be used,

Mike's site, Mike's rules. The Extended Universe is sanctioned by Lucasfilm and is an official part of Star Wars history. We have 200GT turbolasers, which is more than enough to perform a BDZ.
Camaas was popped with 27 shots. and then something like a thousand simerly shots only did 75% damage?
I have no idea what you're talking about. Camaas was reduced to a planet raged by firestorms, radiation and incapable of supporting life. It was popped with many thousands of shots from an unknown number of vessels.
Personally I think it was Buldoza.
You think Dolza carried out the BDZ on Camaas? No offense, but are you insane?
While thier is only circumstancly evidence to surport this, It does make sense. Why was there there no second attack on earth?

Because their energy reserves were drained completely dry, and the SDF-1 plus Britaii's fleet were kicking their asses all around the solar system with Minme's repulsive wailing distracting Dolza's crews.
There is a sizable time difference between there bonbardment and the grand cannon attack. If there goal at the moment was total destruction of the earth, wouldn't they continue with a second bondbardment?

The jump to Earth strained their energy reserves severely, and they fired their main guns right after making that jump. They completely depleted their energy supply.
Even after the grand cannon, and before the macross attacked, they only appeared to attack the Grand Cannon base. I think Buldoza wasn't sure about if the Macross and the Rogue zentradi would try to flee the system. If he had compleatly destroyed the world, it might of scared them off. So he decided to try a wounded hostage ploy. While this theory prob doesn't account for everything it does go a long way to explain the energy difference.
No offense, but I'm having a hard time following what you're trying to say. Please learn proper spelling, grammar and punctuation, and please state your ideas more clearly.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

*Sniff*

Just like the good ol' days.
General G
Youngling

Post by General G »

Abaddon "the Despoiler" had a planetkiller but he was only using it to cause trouble while he captured the blackstone fortresses so he could harness their power and BRING DOWN THE FALSE EMPEROR WITH THEIR POWERS OF DOOM GLORY TO THE BLOOD GOD wait no i'm an imperial uh yeah DEATH TO HERITICS much better.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Death to unbelievers!
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

2000AD wrote:[quote="Rob Wilson]
*Sigh* You call yourself 2000AD and you don't mention Skizz, the ABC Warriors, The Dark Judges or D.R. and Quinch when they're bored.

These youngsters*tch*
:)
I didn't name myself other the excellent comic of the same name, hence my non mentioning of some of it's brilliant characters. No. I orionally thought of the name in the year 2000 and since my initials are AD I thought it would be a good name. I have used it since, apart form some places where the name is taken where I go by the name Vorbis.

[/quote]

Well at least your a Pratchett fan so there's hope for you yet.

And indeed, BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! KHORNE, KHORNE, KHORNE!
Vorlon1701

Babylon 5

Post by Vorlon1701 »

Anyone here remember the Vorlon and Shadow planetkillers from B5? You actually saw the Shadow planetkiller in work, and you saw the Vorlon planetkiller starting up in the battle for Coriana 6.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Those are already covered on the Planet Killers page, Vorlon1701.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Ess ... llers.html
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Rob, didn't Judge Dredd kill like 3 billion people in an alternate universe once?

Post by Guest »

Durandal wrote:
I actually have a theory on that. The difference in power is incredibly. If only on screen cannon evidence is too be used,

Mike's site, Mike's rules. The Extended Universe is sanctioned by Lucasfilm and is an official part of Star Wars history. We have 200GT turbolasers, which is more than enough to perform a BDZ.
I have no idea what this has to do with anything. I have had it said to me that something else must of been going on, I stated on-screen evidence to say: There was no other thing going on.

Sorry, I should of said the planet from first contact. And that planet suffered worse than Camaas did.

A: I meant the planet from first contact
B: I was referring to earth, he did commanded that operation.

The Macross attack happened considerbly after the attack on earth. Though your power-loss theory is another good reasoning behind it.

True that is another good reasoning.

I will try to do better.

And what I basicly meant was: Buldoza didn't want the earth compleatly destroyed yet. And wanted to use it as bait, to try to keep the sdf-1 from running away.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Rob, didn't Judge Dredd kill like 3 billion people in an alternate universe once?
He did kill the Judge Child and the Jufge Child Killed everyone on Earth (as well as resurrecting quite a few more to play with as toys) so you could say he was more powerful than a planet killer (if you want to really stretch logic) :D

He killed more than 1 billion people at the end of the Apocalypse wars when he Nuked East Meg 1. And he sentenced a planet to death in the Judge Child Quest (I think) so He' certainly a force to be reckoned with. But all that was him using other techs rather than killing them on his own... mind you his own personal death toll is staggering. :D