Bit of Analysis: Rifts II

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Re: Bit of Analysis: Rifts II

Post by SAMAS »

There are however plenty of exceptions. We haven't gone much into small arms yet (I was actually going to segue into it through Northern Gun), but here's some early factoids:

Bandito Arms (The semi-legitimate arm of the North American Black Market) has recently come out with a huge expansion of their "Big Bore" series of guns. Big Bore weapons are MD bullets with an impact-explosive warhead designed to deliver a lot of kinetic force to the target. As a rule, they're not as powerful as laser and ion weapons, but they can deliver a lot of stopping power, and stand a good chance of knocking a man-sized target off his feet.

For the record, that is not a gatling shotgun on the bottom. It fires all five barrels at once.

Triax has their "Pump" series, which fire explosive rounds that are pretty much micro-grenades, as well as their "Atenkoffer" briefcase guns, available in Shotgun and SMG.

Both the Republic of Colombia and the Empire of the Sun make extensive use of guns firing rocket-propelled shells. The Colombians use wooden rounds for fighting Vampires, while the Incas have discovered that the armor of their Arkhon foes, while extremely effective against energy weapons, are weak against kinetic attacks. The Arkhons themselves also have flechette guns in case of inter-clan conflicts, so many of their vehicles and mecha have them as well. The Megaversal Legion has some exotic kinetic weapons, and the Achilles Republic has a nice combat shotgun that fires a variety of rounds.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Before I continue, I wanna share this pretty cool size chart between various monsters and mecha. it's far from complete, but the comparisons help in visualizing the scale of things:

Unlike the more utilitarian Lynx, it's partner the NG-X114 Cougar is a straight-up killer. Slower and less agile than the Lynx (50mph running 12-33 feet leaps (but can land from 300 feet no problems), and can't wall-jump, but it climbs like a motherfucker(20mph up a sheer 90-degree wall)), it carries a lot more built-in firepower. The shoulder gun is a triple-barreled laser with 1600' range that can equal a light plasma cannon (or the Samson's own lasers) with all three guns firing together. On the right arm is a short ranged ion blaster (1000') and the left has a pair of wicked vibro-blades with a built-in flamethrower (80' range, 10' splash at that range) with a 6-gallon tank, which is only enough for three standard bursts though. It has four-shot grenade launchers around the shoulder/collar area like the Lynx, and an additional six built into the middle of the chest. To top this all off (and provide it's climbing abilities), vibro-claws are built into the fingers, and can even extend from the slots in the toes. This does make it harder to carry a rifle or gun, or do complex or delicate work, but you really don't want to be kicked by this thing!

Aside from the usual power armor features, the Cougar and Lynx come with helmet and gun-cameras that can record up to 96 hours of video or take up to 4000 pictures, and passive nightvision with a range of 2000 feet. The Cougar also has a built-in voice amplifier and modulator complete with language translator.

The NG-400 Stinger Hovercycle is a sleek, popular speedster with a max speed of 250mph (200' max altitude(but gets wobbly over 30) and 600' drop tolerance) it's normally unarmed, but can mount a gun or two underneath the nose, or on the sides (as shown in the picture, a laser/machine gun and six-shot mini-missile launchers) for a little extra(never standard), but these slow it down by about 5% per weapon system.

The NG-AMP-007 Aligator is an Amphibious Armored Personnel Carrier. With a crew of two and carrying up to 16 troops in body armor (less in Power Armor), it moves at a speedy 75mph on land, or 40mph over the water. It's primary armament is a mini-missile box launcher with a 36-missile capacity. Backing this up is a heavy laser(range 3000') which can be replaced by an NG-202 railgun.

The NG-SU600-EX Wave Cutter is a fairly novel Northern Gun innovation: A submersible hovercycle. It can only fly 20' off the ground, but dives down to 1000'(plus an additional one- to four hundred feet if you really gotta push your luck). It can travel up to 100mph above the waves, or 70 below them. It's fairly armored with a light ion cannon (1000' on the surface, 700' underwater) under the nose and two mini-missile/torpedo tubes on the sides. It has no radar, but it's sonar system has a range of 50 miles and can track up to 64 individual targets. Of course, it comes with an oxygen purification and recycling system that can last up to nine-hours at a time, and if needed, a distress beacon with 96 hours of life.

Speaking of underwater tech, we have the NG-NX12 Beach Stormer Amphibious Infantry Assault Suit. Though lightly armored, it still provides protection superior to even heavy body armor. It has a hydro-jet propulsion pack can push it up to 35 mph on the surface of the water, or 20 underwater. If necessary, it can straight-up swim at 10mph or just walk along the bottom. It has an impressive depth tolerance of 3000 feet. It's armament is a pair of rifles: An underwater NG-P67 Particle Beam Short-Gun (1000' on land, 70% of that underwater) and the NG-M100 multi-weapon rifle consisting of an Ion blaster(800' both cases) with an underslung launcher that can fire either grenades or micro-torpedoes.

Topping off the Underwater combat brigade is the NG-V36 Beachmaster Amphibious Assault Robot. The twenty-six-foot-tall beast moves about as fast at the Beach-Stormer in the water, but runs 60mph on land. It is armed with a pair of Blue-green lasers (2000' on land, 1200' underwater) in the chest and a mini-torpedo launcher on a swiveling turret over the right shoulder that can launch up to eight of it's sixteen-torpedo capacity in one salvo. When it strides onto land, it can continue the fight with six mini-missile tubes in the shoulders and a powerful heavy flamethrower that can reach up to 400 feet (much like actual military flamethrowers!) in the right arm. The left, as you can see, mounts a chainsaw for sabotage operations on the surface or in the water. An antenna in the back can extend to deliver a nasty electrical shock to any sea or lake monsters who get too close underwater. A "Ship-hunter" variant of the Beachmaster replaces the torpedo launcher with the NG-505 heavy rail cannon which can fire on land (for 4000' range) and has a much heftier 90-round drum. This does leave it with only the lasers to fight underwater, however.

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

biostem wrote:I realize this is a sort of meta-critique, but do you folks who actually run pen & paper RIFTs games have combat taking place at the miles apart distances where missile ranges exceed energy and railgun ranges? I mean, in a real life scenario, the beyond visual range or LoS advantages of guided munitions is obvious, but for a near man sized soldier in power armor, would that even come into play? Especially for the smaller powered armors that are meant to fight in close quarters, the inclusion of missiles just seems like an accident waiting to happen...
I agree- but for certain roles, having heavy antitank missiles bolted to your suit is an advantage, because it's not like "small enemy power armors" are the largest or heaviest threats your own power armor is intended to face.

Also, one could potentially design guided 'smart' missiles that would home in on the power sources or thermal signatures or even noise signatures of powered armor, that could be an advantageous thing to pursue.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Keep in mind that the only missile mounted on most powered armor are mini-missiles with ranges of only about a mile at the most, and at best a 20' blast radius (for fragmentation or smoke rounds).

Secondly, mini-missiles are often the best way for powered armor to inflict lots of damage in a very short time.

Finally, between Dragons, Gargoyles, flying power armor, sky/rocket bikes, and actual aircraft of various types, the ability to hit a faraway target is sometimes needed.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That squares well with my image of the mini-missiles as being to power armor what antitank rocket launchers are to today's infantry. The 'burst damage' role arises because you're dealing with a twenty foot walking gun platform or something similarly dangerous, and the only way to counter it is for a special weapons trooper, or a whole squad of regulars, to concentrate intense firepower on one hardened target. And because the enemy doesn't have as many tanks as you have soldiers, it's okay that the weapon in question is too heavy for your troops to carry more than handful of reloads. It's okay that in a prolonged close quarters fight they'd become a liability.

Because, and this is important, if the same guy has to fire bazookas at an enemy tank more than once before getting a chance to reload, there's a pretty good chance he'll be dead before getting his second shot off. So per-shot firepower matters more than sustainability, and bulky munitions (like rockets) are the rule.

Of course, with advances in armor technology, the weapon firepower required to actually hurt ordinary soldiers and that required to hurt tanks have started to converge on each other.

But there is still the occasional need for a soldier to deliver a sudden burst of firepower that is unsustainable over a prolonged engagement, to knock out a single target that is far more powerful and dangerous than he is.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

A good example of this is the Aurora Blazer on the previous page. It's rifle can handle a lot, especially with the UEL powering it. But a Blazer being used optimally doesn't have the time for a protracted firefight. A quick spread of missiles will mess up anyone's day, whether via burning plasma/shrapnel or smoke. By the time the target deals with that, a Blazer on the bounce will be gone.

Also it should be noted that most infantry-scale anti-armor weapons tend to be either multi-shot launchers or plasma cannons.

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

The RIFTS group I run with makes use of SRM's (short range missiles) quite often. their five mile range has come in handy many a time. The party's flying battle bus, an upgraded HH-60 Pave Hawk from Golden Age Weaponsmiths, mouts a solid eight of the things, backed by two 24 shot mini missile pods, a nose mounted automatic grenade launcher, and a pair of railguns at the doors. It's flown by the two Operators in the party, and have saved every else's asses numerous times. Not many enemies in rifts expect a party of mercenaries to be smart enough to have lone-range fire support and CASEVAC capability.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

So many suits of power armor describe allowing the user to run at 50+ MPH... even if the suit was doing the heavy lifting for you, is it physically possible to move your legs that fast? Also, do any books describe the actual process of donning/boarding power armor? I mean, can I hop out of my armor, grab a meal, stretch, then get back in in only a few minutes, or would I need assistance? What about the process of refueling/rearming a suit of powered armor? Are mini-missiles and rail gun rounds basically considered universal for purposes of reloads? It would suck if you needed ammo, but the vendor didn't have your ammo...
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, there are animals that run at speeds like that (cheetahs, if nothing else), so the question boils down to details of biomechanics.

Using the inhumanly strong powered "muscles" of the suit to permit a very long, bounding stride might help, although in that case you'd expect the armored person to comically topple and sink violently if they ever hit a patch of mud or anything.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

biostem wrote:So many suits of power armor describe allowing the user to run at 50+ MPH... even if the suit was doing the heavy lifting for you, is it physically possible to move your legs that fast?
I think it's a combination of faster movement and loping strides.
Also, do any books describe the actual process of donning/boarding power armor? I mean, can I hop out of my armor, grab a meal, stretch, then get back in in only a few minutes, or would I need assistance? What about the process of refueling/rearming a suit of powered armor?
Suiting up in armor depends on the suit. Most body armor and man-sized power armor takes between one and two minutes. Big suits like the Glitter Boy, Samson, and Jaeger aren't so much put on as stepped into, and as such would take shorter, give or take startup time.
Are mini-missiles and rail gun rounds basically considered universal for purposes of reloads? It would suck if you needed ammo, but the vendor didn't have your ammo...
This varies from one weapon to the next. Since most North American weapons tech is based off the old NEMA gear, I'm think there's probably a standard for weapons of the same type. But for the most part, it's best to get your ammunition when and where you get your guns. Most mercs and adventurers tend to stock up whenever possible.

biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I know the New West book goes into how the look of a particular suit of armor can be as much of a selling point as the actual protection or weapons it offers, but do any other source books go into things like armor customization services? I think it was the Rifts Japan book that delved into things like cosmetic cybernetics and such, but I'd imagine custom armor paint jobs and other embellishments would be big among adventurers, (not to mention more useful modifications, like maybe replacing weaker laser weapons with more powerful ion weapons, if stopping power is more important than range for you, or things like silver plating if you expect to encounter vampires/were-creatures).
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Oh, you have no idea. In fact, Bandito Arms has made an entire business model out of basically reskinning the Black Market's knock-offs into a legitimate line of otherwise identical weapons with different stylings to appeal to different markets. I'll get more into that later after I finish Northern Gun, but basically, you have have one rifle that looks just like Nothern Gun's NG-L5 laser rifle, a gun with a sleek, high-tech look, a gun with an exotic insectile look, or guns built to resemble a 20th-century assault rifle, 18th-century winchester, or 17th-century flintlock, all with the exact same range and power.

Now, to your actual question: the Northern Gun books have a little here and there on customizing armor, but really that's half the reason you have so many models of armor.

biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I really appreciate you guys answering all my questions - I've had RIFTs books for years now, and read most of them front-to-back, so it's great to be able to "talk shop" every now and again. It's really a shame that RIFTs hasn't made it into video games at all, (IIRC, there was one cell phone game a few years back and that's it). It just seems perfect as an MMO setting - you could mix magic, high tech, alien monster, etc.

Anyway, thanks again, (and I'm sure I'll more questions down the line)!
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

Great stuff! Say, what was the reason for the change in appearance for the Deadboy armor? I really liked the original design best. This new design reminds me of Venom from Spider-man.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Damaramu wrote:Great stuff! Say, what was the reason for the change in appearance for the Deadboy armor? I really liked the original design best. This new design reminds me of Venom from Spider-man.
Both in-universe and out, to show it's newer, sleeker, and better. The Coalition was rolling out new gear as part of a new campaign and changing the look had propaganda power. More flexible armor that protected even better is part of that.

SAMAS wrote: Now, to your actual question: the Northern Gun books have a little here and there on customizing armor, but really that's half the reason you have so many models of armor.
The impression I get is that changing body armor is relatively easy, but there's so much machinery, power cables, and so on in power armor that it's hard to do modifications- outside of simple exterior weapon swaps- without an actual factory.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

It's been a while, so here's an abbreviated rundown of the last few NG bots and vehicles I wanted to show off:

The NG-xf103 Firefighter is, for a change, not really built for combat. As the name suggests, it's purpose is to allow firefighters to safely fight blazes even if they find themselves in the heart of the inferno, or if flaming debris should fall on them. As such, it's primary weapon is a water cannon with a fifty-gallon tank and twenty-five-gallon auxiliary tank (which can be filled with chemical extinguishers if needed) mounted on the back. If the Firefighter needs to cut through debris or a locked door, or god forbid a monster shows up in the middle of the fire, a laser with four power settings (two of which are MDC) is mounted on the right forearm. As one might remember, Vampires in Rifts are vulnerable to moving water, so naturally Vampire Hunters have quickly become enamored of this suit. Over the last five years (the armor has been on the market for twenty), Northern Gun has offered the option of mounting silver-plated spikes on the knuckles, for those who prefer taking undeaths to saving lives.

Although the Blue Boy and Prophet have found popularity with various police departments, the NG-XP54 Enforcer Guardsman is Northern Gun's premier Power Armor designed specifically for Law Enforcement. Whether deployed in SWAT teams or when just a handful of lawmen need to be ready for anything. It is armed with a laser (three settings, two MDC) and grenade launcher on the forearms weapon wise, and otherwise comes with Criminal ID recognition system, LED visible and ultraviolet lights in the "wings", two Robot Medical Kits, a multi-optic helmet, flashing lights and siren, and even a Universal Energy Link. All Standard. Optional equipment includes a helmet-mounted camera and floating camera drone.

After Fire and Police, of course comes Paramedic. The NG-MRU876 Med-Rec is designed to provide medical assistance under extremely dangerous conditions, such as in the middle of a firefight. Consequently, it's stuffed to the gills with medical equipment, including a laser cutter and the Jaws of Life. The only real weapon it has is a shoulder-mounted grenade launcher with up to twelve rounds, half of which are usually smoke.

The NG-v50 Bigfoot is literally a walking tank equipped with a communications suite, twin plasma cannons, a rapid-fire laser in a separate turret, and a short-range missile launcher for long-range combat.

The NG-X16 Midas is a new suit which is effectively another variant of the Samson. Its NG-116 pulse laser cannon is turret-mounted, but if the pilot prefers, can detach and be used as a rifle. Four mini-missiles are loaded in chest-mounted launchers, while the forearms are armed with a flamethrower and Ion blaster(with a backup vibroblade). For real close-combat, however, the Midas carries a vibro-axe or polearm, which is also silver-plated to use against vampires and demons.

But for real demon-hunting, Northern Gun has created the NG-X44 Demon Slayer. The two machineguns mounted on the shoulders are slaved to an automatic targeting system identical to the one used on the Coalition's Juicer Killer (which was itself actually designed and built by Northern Gun). This means the gatling guns can target the same enemy as the pilot, or fire on their own. Keeping with the theme, these machineguns typically fire silver-coated or wood-tipped rounds. The right arm is equipped with a hydraulic stake driver(silver-plated) along with a wooden stake holder that can actually launch it's load up to forty feet away. A forearm blaster, flamethrower, and silver-plated dual vibro-sword.

The NG-X29 Mantis is designed primarily to attack giant mechs and other large vehicles. Rather than going for the kill, Mantis tactics are to take out sensors/communications, weapons, and motive systems, leaving the enemy war machine effectively blind, disarmed, and helpless while they move on to the next target. As the Mantis is about as fast and maneuverable as the Lynx, it's pretty good at it's job.

As the name suggests, the Mantis' primary weapons are the two massive vibro-blades hanging from the forearms. Backing this up are a head-mounted laser, and Ion and Plasma turrets in the shoulders.

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Okay, let's wrap this up:

The NG-11F Red Hawk is Northern Gun's answer to the Coalition SAMAS and Flying Titan. Not quite as tough or fast as the SAMAS, the Red Hawk makes up for it in armaments. Six mini-missiles mounted under the wings, with twin vibro-blades on each forearm mated with a laser or pair of mini-missiles. A railgun rounds out the loadout. NG also has an underwater variant, the NG-AX15 Blue Hawk, which switches the railgun for a powerful Ion rifle and mounts mini-torpedoes for missiles.

The NG-XF17 Ironwing is Northern Gun's heavy aerial suit. About as tough as the Samson Missileman (give or take), the Ironwing is relatively slow, but carries lots of weapons. The main weapon is a heavy particle beam rifle backed up by a head laser. The boxes mounted behind the shoulders are a combination of missile and grenade launchers that can fire at enemy flyers or bombard ground targets. For close combat, vibro-blades on the forearms can rake enemies on flyby attacks, and for heavier foes, a buzzsaw is mounted on the left arm.

That's about enough for NG vehicles and mecha. It's not all of them, of course, but if I did that, I'd be here all summer.

Okay, a word about weapons:

Before the Coming of the Rifts, the German corporation known as Triax(yes, that Triax) found itself in dire straits. It was formed to develop a usable hovercar, but was beaten to the punch. It floundered for years until someone discovered, well, Mega-Damage material(or Unobtanium alloy if you prefer). Tough as a main battle tank, but extremely light, and even, as it later turned out, Ragnarok-Proof. Eventually, weapons had to be developed to defeat these wonder materials.

The most common small arms on Rifts' Earth are Lasers. Lasers are almost entirely silent, and designed to fire in short beams. In the time of Rifts, most weapon manufacturers actually install noisemakers into their weapons, for the sake of customers who don't like their weapons to be so quiet. If you want Pew-Pew, you can have your Pew-Pew. But if you don't mind killing in silence, you can always turn it off(most military and wilderness scouts do). Nearly every weapons manufacturer on Rifts Earth makes laser weapons, some exclusively.

Second to lasers are Ion weapons. Ion weapons, as far as I can tell, fire a stream of charged ions at the target. They tend to be just a little shorter-ranged than lasers, with a similar increase in damage. Northern Gun and Triax have a large selection of Ion weapons, and make the most use of them out of anyone on Earth.

Both Lasers and Ion weapons have pulse variations, which fire a burst of two or three shots per pull of the trigger, spaced a fraction of a second apart.

For most militaries and adventurers, the most common heavy weapons are Plasma Ejectors and Particle Beam weapons. Both are powerful, but short-ranged. Plasma has the additional perk/weakness of also being affected by any weaknesses or resistance to fire.

Railguns, in Rifts, are pretty much shorthand for "Megadamage Machinegun". Most fire in bursts of 10-30, and are equal in power to heavy energy weapons. Actual machineguns, on the other hand, do exist, but usually need to have explosive or ramjet rounds to do mega-damage without rather long bursts. Even then, they seem to be more powerful than 20th/21st-century machine guns of the same calibur.

Grenades are pretty common in Rifts' Earth, both thrown and rife-fired. In addition to the usual explosive, smoke, or gas grenades, the most advanced grenades use warheads that generate/release intense but short-lived blasts/sprays of plasma.

The most prolific explosive, if you haven't been able to tell by our previous vehicle/mecha descriptions, are mini-missiles. Mini-missiles are about the size of a LAW or RPG, and have ranges of up to a mile. They typically come in five varieties:
Standard High explosives have decent firepower, but only a 5' Blast radius. They tend to be cheap, however.
Fragmentation missiles have the same damage as High-Ex, but a 20' blast radius. These are typically used for antipersonnel or anti-missile purposes.
Armor-Piercing missiles have a tiny blast radius, but do good damage against armor. Especially in groups.
Plasma are the king of Mini-Missiles. They hit harder than Ap missiles, but have a blast radius close to that of a frag missile.
Smoke is smoke.

In addition to these, you also have fusion blocks(really powerful time bombs), and MD Plastique and Dynamite.

A selection of Northern Gun weapons.

Coalition weapons (mostly new models)

Wilks' Laser Technologies is the foremost maker of light-based weapons and equipment. Aside from their signature sleek, black ceramic weapons(with variants designed to look like 19th-century revolvers and rifles for the Western market), Wilks also makes electronics and components (many NG and Coalition weapons and vehicles have Wilks' parts in them), and more esoteric weapons, such as prototype laser blades, and even laser grenades. Wilks' will sell their guns to whomever will pay for it, so their weapons are illegal in Coalition territory.

Wellington Industries is in many ways Northern Gun's friendly rival, based in the neighboring Manistique Imperium. WI primarily focuses on projectile weaponry, from conventional SMGs, assault rifles and machineguns to modern grenade and missile launchers.

Chipwell Armaments is the proverbial "El Cheapo" brand. Power Armor at tenth of the price, and a tenth of the quality. Battery-Powered, most weapon systems being bolted-on infantry guns, and MDC less than even Northern Gun's lightest powered armor. One of their suits (the Warmonger, pictured) is actually plain ol' SDC (albeit about three times as much as a modern tank).

Iron Heart Armaments was a manufacturer based in the town of New Kenora. Rather than guns and mechs, they focued on conventional tanks, ships, and aircraft, such as the Iron Hammer MBT, Iron Trident attack boat, and the Air Castle flying fortress(pictured). Free Quebec, back when it was still part of the Coalition States, actually purchased a small number of IHA watercraft to patrol their holdings in the Great Lakes.

Ultimately, Iron Heart Armaments fell victim to their own success. Their heavy gear like the Air Castle and Sea King terrified the CS, especially since they made such weapons available to other states, particularly those whom the CS planned to attack or annex later. So they invaded New Kenora in a massive dawn raid and shut IHA down. A few people managed to escape with the plans to some of Iron Heart's vehicles, but at the moment, they're reduced to a band of pirates looking for a new place to start again.

Finally, there's the Black Market. A Mafia-like criminal organization that not only deals in stolen and used gear (to say nothing of traditional criminal activities such as prostitution, drugs, and contraband), but actually manufacture their own products. One of their factions, Bandito Arms, operates out of Area 51 and legitimately sells their own weapons, such as the Big Bore series of explosive projectile weapons.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The Wellington image is giving me a 'remote linking forbidden' pic.

--

I think the Hawk armors really show how the rest of North America has learned from and is beginning to catch up with old-CS standards at least. The world isn't standing still, the minor powers have gone from bulky below-average power armors to more competitive, varied models.

I so wish there was more Chipwell tech, they're such a fun manufacturer:) one of the books has them make some anti-vamp armors, because water and wood and crosses are already cheap!

One of their factions, Bandito Arms, operates out of Area 51 and legitimately sells their own weapons, such as the Big Bore series of explosive projectile weapons.
Or less than legally in the case of their Sidewinder and Wild Weasel SAMAS models, which despite being made from pre-rifts designs, are still considered propriety tech by the CS, who does not acknowledge the original origin of the suit and treats all SAMAS outside their control as illegal goods.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Don't worry, I plan on going more in-depth with the more notable guns later. It's gonna take a while, though, as I gotta get the pics myself.

And "less than legal" is kinda the Black Market's thing. But in this case, they're actually in the right. The Coalition did not invent the SAMAS, as pointed out in the New West sourcebook and confirmed by Chaos Earth. Bandito Arms salvaged those plans fair and square, and outside the CS' jurisdiction, to boot.

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I suppose it's really time I stretched myself again. I'm going to skip over some of the D-Bees and monsters native to Australia if it's alright, they were giving me trouble and I can go back later if anyone feels they're really missing the experience.

For now, the Rifts World Tour has stretched across four continents. What could possibly be left before returning to the Americas? I'll give you a hint.

Yep, time to plumb the black depths of the oceans of Rifts Earth. Most of the world is underwater, and conveniently so are the Sea Serpents and a myriad of eldritch horrors, plus new magic and toys. For now, I'll settle for summarizing the major players.

Lord of the Deep- He's big, he's bad, and very much of both. He may actually be the biggest and toughest supernatural intelligence we've seen, and entry level there involves the ability to tank a couple of nukes. Usually hangs out in the Marianas Trench but moves around some, his main tentacles are thousands of miles long and covered in smaller but still massive tentacles that spring from a calm sea to grab up sailors and people on the coast. The lucky ones die immediately for the Lord to harvest the PPE death-burst. The unlucky ones get fused with sea-life to create an army of monsters under his control. A constant menace to everyone and everything in the seas, everyone has tried to kill him at some point, and all have failed.

New Navy- the United States might be dead and gone, but the US Navy is still fighting the good fight. And have a better claim to preserving the culture of the American Empire than the Coalition does.

Tritonia- a research station/independent mobile floating city-state. Mostly decent people.

Lemuria- ancient allies of the Atlanteans, back again. Practice their own mutagenic, life-energy manipulating magic called Biomancy.

Naut'yll- as far as anyone else knows, underwater orcs. Unreasoning squid-head aliens that attack others on sight. Actually an ancient and refined warrior culture blending magic and high-technology, that generally attack outsiders on sight.

Milu- crablike aliens led by a vampire noble class, worshiping their Vampiric Intelligence and his chosen Prophet, an undead Earth pirate going by Davy Jones. You'll never guess what their underwater stronghold is called.

Horune- alien pirates from the Mothersea. Are kind of assholes with bizarre magic ships. Frequent allies of the Splugorth, Atlantis holds the only real friendly ports for them.

Ceteceans- In Rifts, dolphins and whales are fully sentient with their own culture. Some of them have power armor.

Whale-Singers- an order of spellcasters and creatures mutated by the Lord of the Deep who escaped his control. Strive to counter the armies, plans and Cult of the Deep wherever they go.

Pirates- a constant hazard, much like sea-monsters.

And of course, the Splugorth, NGR and Coalition have their own navies I'll be touching on. Only the CSN gets it's own book however.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Where is the Coalition's coastline, anyway? I thought they were centered around the Midwest and the Great Lakes...
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

They are. In theory, the Coalition claims dominion over all the lands once held by the Americans. In practice, it's more like a diagonal band over most of the Midwest. But they do have access to the Hudson Bay and Gulf of Mexico, which justifies their blue-water navy.

Most of their naval forces are river and lakes patrols, but the Coalition has built up the Navy as a deterrent against a feared Splugorth invasion. Plus, they have a lot of old American naval ships discovered in a secret Norfolk bunker. They're comparatively weak and underpowered to what the CS can build, but made a great starting point.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I have several of the world books, and I can't recall any of them going into where all these high tech manufacturers procure their raw materials from, nor how they power their factories. Since there isn't really much in the way of a "power grid" to speak of, I'm assuming the latter question could be answered with "on-site fusion or fission reactors. I also have to assume that these MDC materials gain their durability more from arranging normal elements into exotic patterns, (carbon nanotubes and such) as opposed to being made from "new materials" which don't currently exist on the periodic table or such, (they speak of high tech plastics, ceramics, alloys, etc).

I also have to say this about Rifts - all their flying power armors either only fly in a vertical posture, (a la a jetpack, foot-boosters), or have wings to provide lift while in a horizontal position - it always bugged me that Iron man would stay aloft once he assumed a horizontal position, as his thrusters were in his hands and feet, and he is shown directing them rearward while flying.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Would be more or less my guess. Compact fusion exists and is commonplace, and MDC is made possible by nano-tech manufacturing. Or magic enchantments, but those are rarer.

New Navy first, because they're awesome and I have pics for them already.

Before the Cataclysm, there was a period of growing tension as the Golden Age came to a close. In this atmosphere, the US Government commissioned one of their greatest weapons, the Ticonderoga- class carrier. A bit over twice the size of a Nimitz or a Ford the newest carrier had room for over 130 aircraft, a division of troops with generous armor support, a few dozen nukes, oh! And it was also fully-submersible with revolutionary stealth technology. Yep, they wanted a ship that could suddenly deliver nuclear missiles, two wings of aircraft or thousands of troops anywhere in the world, by total surprise. It could also dock with two smaller subs designed as escorts and tow them along for that glorious day when one sonar contact becomes three.

Five ships were ordered, though only one was completed, and this all apparently happened in total secrecy. And since a secret first-strike weapon like this isn't much use if they can just monitor ports or take out it's supply chain, the Navy secretly built a trio of underwater bases with vast stores, sustainable hydroponics and automated factories that could produce just about any parts needed to fix the things.

The USS Ticonderoga was on maneuvers in the Pacific when they picked up the radio chatter of the Cataclysm. They thought their country under attack, and spent a breathless night waiting for launch orders, listening for a hint of who the enemy was as reports piled in of lights going dark, demons and earthquakes and weirdness. Then a bunch of underwater monsters attacked and it took seventeen hours and many lives to fight them off. Captain Karl Dobson had them make best speed to their nearest base, and found it utterly destroyed. Base Two was okay, and Base Three, the smallest, they evacuated to Two where they could protect everyone. Base Two was thereafter designated Refuge, or sometimes Base Prime.

By this point, it had been at least two weeks, the Yellowstone super-volcano had blown, all contact with the President or the chain of command was lost, and the entirety of the Navy consisted of three subs and 18,000 men. The captain saw no choice but to gather the men and explain the situation as he knew it; government gone, massive death, total collapse of society, magic, demons and the fact that anyone with family ashore, including himself, had almost certainly lost them. But he also stressed that if they lost discipline and fell apart now, they were just easy prey. Together, as the Navy, they had the power to do something about it, and he intended to fight for humanity until his last breath. I imagine it went down a lot like Adama's speech from the end of the nBSG mini-series.

He did provide a ship, pistols, supplies, and an honorable discharge to 200 men who absolutely had to try and rescue their families. And they were never heard from again.

For the first twenty years, "fighting for humanity" basically meant holding Refuge against all comers, and there were many. They also expanded their underwater agriculture, formed new families and started the expansions to their existing machinery production that eventually led to a native shipbuilding capacity.

23 years post-Cataclysm, Dobson's son, Nemo, took command of the Ticonderoga on a mission to contact other survivors and maybe even governments. They found little, no one answered their broadcasts, the US had sunk into barbarism, they did rescue Tritonia from some Naut'yll and engaged and sank a Splugorth Mothership. So not a total waste. Oh, and there was one other small incident that bears mentioning.

Nemo led an away party of some two dozen others that came near a Rift. Nothing came out and tried to eat them, so that's coming out ahead. But they were exposed to some kind of energy, maybe magical, maybe exotic radiation that changed them. On learning this, Nemo immediately ordered the shore party quarantined and reliquished command, but long-term it turned out to not be contagious or harmful.

Those exposed became five times stronger, with a similar increase in endurance. They no longer needed to eat, drink or breathe to sustain life. They became MDC tough (20-80 MDC + their STA+ 2-12 each level) and regenerating (10-40 MDC per minute) they were immune to all nonmagical poisons and drugs, and had a depth tolerance of almost a mile, 4,000 ft. And it seemed, as time went on, that they didn't age, their mutations would always breed true, and half their offspring were psychic besides. They're probably not immortal though, just really long-lived. Which is how Nemo, often called Nemo-2 to differentiate from the Jules Verne character, is still in charge three hundred years later. Some people were pretty weirded out at first, but these entirely beneficial changes have been largely accepted. This particular mutant strain has been dubbed Sea Titans.

Speaking of the modern navy. In the present they have reclaimed the third base, now called Salvation Base, and started a satellite underwater farming community. There are 800,000 people living under the aegis of the New Navy, and the present Sea Titan population is about 2,000. Naval law holds throughout, and naval courts are the only ones, about a third of the population are technically civilians but the navy pretty much oversees any project of importance. Off-duty discipline is a lot more relaxed, and you can exercise freedom of speech when not on the clock. Compulsory education, which is called the junior navy and does include some of the basics you'd see in an ROTC program.

Sea Titans have pretty normal childhoods, but they do get special classes on responsible use of their abilities, how they're an obligation and not a license to do whatever they want, plus anger management in anticipation of the day they get super-strength, which happens around their mid-twenties. About 75% wind up joining the Marines.

Nemo and co. have managed to build 26 more submersible carriers over the centuries, er, much smaller than the Big T, these are more like big subs that carry a dozen fighters in launch chutes. Plus "hundreds" of other, lesser ships. Administratively, the navy is divided into four fleets. First Fleet is the original, Ticonderoga and her escorts Stingray and Sea Dragon. Second Fleet patrols the Pacific, the NN's traditional stomping grounds. Third Fleet guards Refuge, Salvation and the other settlements, while Fourth is long-range missions and exploration.

The Navy is allies and trading partners of Tritonia, but keep their own bases' locations a careful secret from them. They respect the power and good deeds of the Lemurians, but can't bring themselves to trust the other party's motives, and the Lemurians feel exactly the same about them. They've had a little contact with the NGR, including saving a research mission that also got snapped up by the Lord of the Deep. The Coalition... there was a faction in Navy that seriously pushed for the Navy to submit itself to the new American government. Nemo refused, not for any moral reason but because he thought they'd remain more effective if they keep their independence for now. They have some intelligence on the CS but a lot of the Nazi stuff seems to have passed them by.

Or maybe they don't care so much. The New Navy has many virtues, but "accepting and welcoming to D-Bees" is not one of them. Though the worst I'm aware of their doing is turning away ships if the crews are mostly alien.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I get the impression that while they have a relatively good image of what happens in the oceans, what happens on land is pretty murky to them, so they'd pretty much have to judge the CS by the CS Navy.

They're very sensible in their handling of Sea Titans.

Ahriman238 wrote:I suppose it's really time I stretched myself again. I'm going to skip over some of the D-Bees and monsters native to Australia if it's alright, they were giving me trouble and I can go back later if anyone feels they're really missing the experience.
Australia's fun, but I've got no problem with other stuff being handled first.