Other SF planet killers!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Post by Guest »

Iceberg wrote:Phong, sometimes you frighten me.
Oh hush. It's not as if I've memorized all 200 episodes or anything.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

::bangs head on desk::

above post is mine :(
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

And you've posted as Guest again.

Got cookies disabled or something?
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

I have most of the manga in my apartment. I'm just missing one volume of S and one volume of SuperS.

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Iceberg wrote:And you've posted as Guest again.

Got cookies disabled or something?
They're enabled - SB is currently working fine for me. They might be expiring too soon, though.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Well, my observations of most anime have told me that even the most mundane, useless piece of tin can destroy the entire universe. For some reason, anime writers seem to have a fetish with destruction on an unimaginably and impossibly large scale. Anything from Super Sain Vegeta to Ranma's dung is fair game for a universal catastrophe.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Animation has an SFX budget as big as their budget for ink and paint. If ya got it, flaunt it.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

phongn wrote: Saturn is stated to be able to destroy planets and very nearly did so in the manga (roughly corresponding to Season 3). In the anime (less dark), she didn't progress to that point.

Moon is considered the most powerful one, greater than either Pluto (with her temporal powers) or Saturn (with her planetkiller and innate healing powers). She can "heal a planet" (possibly a hint to what she'll do at the birth of Crystal Tokyo). In addition, she destroyed the Dark Kingdom reality, the extent of which is not known.
So I better be careful of schoolgirls in sailor suits... :D
Seriously though, I had no idea the manga was so much darker than the series!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Stark wrote:So I better be careful of schoolgirls in sailor suits... :D
Seriously though, I had no idea the manga was so much darker than the series!
The ending sequence of the first season in the manga is quite dark.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

phongn wrote: The ending sequence of the first season in the manga is quite dark.
Where can I find it??? :o
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Stark wrote:
phongn wrote: The ending sequence of the first season in the manga is quite dark.
Where can I find it??? :o
http://www.amazon.com
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

phongn wrote: http://www.amazon.com
Thanks 8)

This is easily the most hijacked threat on the board... and it always has been! :D

Lets wait till someone brings in something old-school like Blake's 7 or Dr Who...
septesix
Padawan Learner

Post by septesix »

Phew! Starship the size of your computer that can break planets?

"Try the ultimate cooking tool! StarBreaker! From making toast to destroy a star, when you absolutely need something to be done, don't look elsewhere, The Xeelee StarBreaker is THE TOOL OF THE FUTURE! It can cook water, it can tractor stuff, and it can crack a planet apart easily! How big it is you ask? No Bigger than a handgun! That's right, all the power and verstatility , all in the package of a small gun you can hold in one hand! With 3 contorl buttons and easily adjusted power level, you can do anything you wish with it! Call 1-800-XEELEES now to order a Xeelee StarBreaker and make your dream come true."

As seen on the Multiverse Shopping Channel, for more information please contact http://kier.3dfrontier.com/forums/
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Another planet-killer is a properly constructed true dweomer from the 2nd edition AD&D high-level campaigns book. It wipes out all zero level creatures on the entire plane.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Stark wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote: There is a very good and Professional piece of Fanart that shows them fighting (and gets the scales right as well) and most people that see it remember it and occasionally think it came from the comic or was official (yes, it's that good) and it shows Devastator and Omega Supreme fighting... or I should say, Devastator getting crushed by Omega :)

It's possible that's what your thinking of.
It was definately an episode - I can remember the sound (unless my childhood imagination made them up... it was a long time ago) Do you have a link to this image?? :)
Go to http://www.transformers.themoon.co.uk/DanKhan.htm
and look for the link on the Lefthand side for Devastator vs Omega... check out his other ones as well as they are all rather good. Mr Khanna is a talented artist.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ahh straying into Amina arn't we?

Lots of Anmina's feature super uber inasly powerful charaters capable of BDZ all on thier own

Classic example Dragon ball Z

Heck anyone over powerlevel 4000 could nuke a planet with ease they even had a business going of it(Want a planet but some pesky natives around? Nooo problem! Call Our handy exterminatiors and for a low low price we will comit mass genocide for you, While you wait!
:)

As long as we are stray off topic why don't we bring up the good old Volgrans(Sp?) from Hitchhikers Guild to the Universe :)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Mr Bean wrote: As long as we are stray off topic why don't we bring up the good old Volgrans(Sp?) from Hitchhikers Guild to the Universe :)
Vogons and Anime
:P
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

[Q]I mean, come on, blaze bugs for tactical readouts. Bugs, for Christ's sake.[/Q]

I think the bugs are cool :p

[Q]And corral that makes up the hulls of ships, yet somehow manages not to burn off in atmospheric flight even though it must be receptive to light and EM radiation to grow, which means it can't be anywhere near as ablative as a piece of steel.[/Q]

You sure it gets it's energy from light and EM radiation and not something else?

[Q]Everything is handled by the yammosk war coordinator. Unless it has a few hundred thousand tiny eye balls that can run around in a vacuum, there's no way it could distinguish ships based on their gravitational nature.[/Q]

Well it might have, the Dovin basals, they are how they communicate, they might also have non gravitic sensors like eyes and shit wich they report back to the yammosk.

[Q]The difference in mass is so utterly small on a gravitational scale that it might as well be nonexistent. So Jaina might have 5kg less mass than some other guy, and her X-Wing might have 1kg more of paint. This is trivial.[/Q]

I know.

[Q]I've heard of crystal-based computers, and they have been shown to make crystals before (like the one Anakin put in his lightsaber), so I guess it's a possibility. But how would they program the thing? How could their civilization have even started? They didn't have pencils or paper![/Q]

The Vong might now have evolved like normal species, they and their technology could have been created by another conventional species for whatever purpose, wich would explain alot if so.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

HDS, you are still in vBB mode. [q] doesn't work here, for a start.
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
His Divine Shadow

IDMR wrote:HDS, you are still in vBB mode. [q] doesn't work here, for a start.
I noticed, maybe Lord Wong can insert this tag into this forum?
It shouldn't be hard.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Yes! Grow, my little thread! GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!!

*waves Jedi hand* You heard nothing.

His Divine Shadow

Iceberg wrote:Yes! Grow, my little thread! GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!!

*waves Jedi hand* You heard nothing.
*raises SITH hand, mildly electrocutes Iceberg*
Yes I did ;)
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

I can't believe nobody has devoted more than a mention to Abaddon the Despoiler's flagship from Games Workshop's wargame Battlefleet Gothic, which was properly titled the Planet Killer.

Abaddon "the Despoiler", a Space Marine officer now in the service of the Chaos Gods together with his legion, the Black Legion After 10.000 years of attempting to conquer the galaxy, Abaddon decided that it would be an idea to build a spaceship with the firepower to destroy planets. Using abandoned technological knowledge gained from the world of Lanamorgstein, a team of Tech-Priests designed the Planet Killer. I don't know the exact size of the Planet Killer, but judging by the fact that the Imperium of Mankind's cruisers are 3km long each - the Planet Killer is 4600m long if we are to judge by model sizes - but others imagine the Planet Killer as a 10km long vessel dwarfing other spaceships. (except for the largest space hulks, and of course the Eldar Craftworlds).

It is also unknown how it functions, but it uses its seven massive front-mounted cannons to project seven energy beams which together are powerful enough to destroy a planet. However, there is some weird, massive pit in the centre of the back hull, which contains some crackling energy formation which possibly provides energy.

If this sounds unrealistic, Games Workshop's official explanation is that the Planet Killer was constructed in the Eye of Terror, an area of space which doesn't conform to the laws of physics!![/i]
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

The Molecular Disruption Device, AKA The Little Doctor from the Ender series.

And, of course, a nice dose of HANDOKEN!
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
JJP
Redshirt

Vogons

Post by JJP »

Bugger, somebody got there before me in mentioning the Vogon destructor fleet from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.