Independence Day: Resurgence trailer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Re: Independence Day: Resurgence trailer

Post by Korgeta »

Nephtys wrote:It's a good thing they don't need Smith. And certainly not his actual kids. We do not need more After Earth indeed with such 'talent' at the wheel.

It looks like that Will's character's kid would likely make sense for that new fighter pilot character we get a brief glimpse of. It allows to narratively advance the same threads from the first movie (with Goldblum, and Former President Lonestar) without tying it nearly as tightly to the exact cast.
True, and with will's character am actually ok with them writing him off they way they did, it was within the realm of plausibility given that all test runs do not go smoothly, especially with alien tech! That and I hate it when films or tv series write off a character as 'retired' or still being talked to by a phone conversation that the audience can't listen to, it doesn't pay off, unless that removed character has a cameo here and there because people don't just vanish when retire! (well, usually) Plus they pretty much given a new slate in smith's removal by having a next gen/legacy character come up and add new blood in the cast and franchise. This is their aim without doubt to create a full on expanding franchise.

2016 could turn out to be a bit of a sci-fi entertainment renaissance, though I do expect a 'mockbuster' film by asylum to come out at some point!
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I do really like that they're building their world from the perspective of 'what would the first movie's events having taken place mean?' I'm always a big fan of extrapolating the consequences of events rather than just trying to minimize or ignore them.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

It also seems from the trailer, that they arent doing the standard thing of "Well, the politicians decided to shift the money there...", ala stuff like Pacific Rim or any of those disaster movies. It's a cheap cop-out and undermines a lot of tension as caused by stupidity rather than an actual dire situation (Really, a giant wall? augh. again, Pacrim).

Earth having giant plasma turrets and huge fleets of space fighters is a pretty reasonable result, plus small moon outposts and the like. Just that the threat on this July 4th is so much bigger where that's not enough. So this makes the movie NOT a repeat of the first (oh no, we got bushwhacked again!) but rather another story (Our best isn't good enough!)
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

This does look like a somewhat interesting direction. Especially if they can get away from the whole America saves the world on its own bit(which is my primary problem with the first movie). Not to mention the problem with the stupidity of using standard air to air missiles against such a colossal target.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Frankly, I will be disappointed if there aren't human ships in orbit, space stations, and possibly lunar/other planet colonies, given the level of technology that was strewn about after the first film. The futuristic jets and energy weapons looked cool, but I'm hard pressed to believe that there wouldn't be a sizable space force, given the revelations about not being alone that the first movie brought with it...
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, we do see that they do have a Lunar outpost, which seems to be run by the Chinese, and other colonies in the solar system, Mars if run by France, I think.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

There's also an outpost on Rhea...an early warning system of sorts. That one is run by Russia, IIRC.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Oh nice. That sounds about right following the fallout from the first film - a wounded, wary humanity totally shaken out of its complacency and pouring untold trillions into building up its defensive capabilities. Thinking about it, at least one-third of the human race would've been wiped out in the attack given all of the cities destroyed. That shit would make the other two-thirds very, VERY angry and very determined to not let the same fate befall them.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

After watching the trailer I will be looking for this one next summer for sure.
adipose1913
Redshirt

Post by adipose1913 »

did anyone else notice that the plasma rifles and fightercraft here look a lot like the plasma rifles and fighters from xcom?
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Trailer No.2 just came up a few hours ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0q0Gax0aYs
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

"They like to get the landmarks."

That line did more to sell me on this film than anything else in the trailer.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Man, I am all over this film. It's come from behind to be in my top 3 most anticipated movies this year :D
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm really liking this. I'm very surprised that Brent Spiner's character survived the first film. I always assumed he died via tentacle strangulation/gunshots/alien mind rape.
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

Brent Spiner's character is supposed to be a clone.

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out he never died, just everyone thought he did.
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

SilverDragonRed wrote:Brent Spiner's character is supposed to be a clone.

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out he never died, just everyone thought he did.
Of course he did not die. He spoke for the alien, you can't do that if you are dead. This is Independence Day not some unrealistic 'dead people are perpetual motion machines' bullshit.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

It'll be interesting to see if the aliens got a hold of some firewall or AV software. :P
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

It was also interesting that it appears that humanity had a large number of aliens in a prison of sorts.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Adam Reynolds wrote:It was also interesting that it appears that humanity had a large number of aliens in a prison of sorts.
It's some kind of UN facility set up to hold prisoners of the Congo Ground War that broke out post-1996, when the Congolese Air Force was unable to destroy the city-killer ship but did manage to cripple and ground it. For some weird-ass fucking reason, though, the Congolese government refused to allow foreign powers to contribute to the fight, and more weirdly, apparently they obliged respectfully for the first time in the Congo's history.

I doubt this will be addressed or explained in the film, but I'd be curious to see how if it does.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

biostem wrote:It'll be interesting to see if the aliens got a hold of some firewall or AV software. :P
Even in the original, they said the aliens could purge the virus from their systems within minutes. Hence the need to organize a simultaneous strike on all city-destroyers.
GENERAL GREY
How long would their shields be down?

DAVID
Once they discover the virus it could be a matter of minutes.

NIMZIKI
You want us to co-ordinate a massive world wide counter strike with a window of only a few minutes?

GENERAL GREY
With their shields down it might be possible.

NIMZIKI
Please, you're not buying into any of this nonsense, are you? We don't have the manpower or the resources to launch that kind of a campaign.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:
Adam Reynolds wrote:It was also interesting that it appears that humanity had a large number of aliens in a prison of sorts.
It's some kind of UN facility set up to hold prisoners of the Congo Ground War that broke out post-1996, when the Congolese Air Force was unable to destroy the city-killer ship but did manage to cripple and ground it. For some weird-ass fucking reason, though, the Congolese government refused to allow foreign powers to contribute to the fight, and more weirdly, apparently they obliged respectfully for the first time in the Congo's history.

I doubt this will be addressed or explained in the film, but I'd be curious to see how if it does.
To be fair, all the other nations had just gotten crippled pretty severely at the time. One imagines they shook their fists in the general direction of Congo, muttered something along the lines of "wait till we get back up" and then prioritized.

So the new city-destruction technique is... what... bringing a big-ass spaceship right down on *top* of the city? I guess that would do it. Though they still have the big belly-beam, they pop a turret with one of those. There's also what appears to be a spaceship crashing/landing into the ocean, causing a tsunami.

And there's a damn walker, of all things (you only see its legs for a second, but it's definitely there).

Did anybody else notice that they reused a number of shots in the trailer? There's definitely two places where they used the same shot of a skyscraper falling, and I'm pretty sure they reused the 'spaceship water landing' bit too.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Elheru Aran wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote:It's some kind of UN facility set up to hold prisoners of the Congo Ground War that broke out post-1996, when the Congolese Air Force was unable to destroy the city-killer ship but did manage to cripple and ground it. For some weird-ass fucking reason, though, the Congolese government refused to allow foreign powers to contribute to the fight, and more weirdly, apparently they obliged respectfully for the first time in the Congo's history.

To be fair, all the other nations had just gotten crippled pretty severely at the time. One imagines they shook their fists in the general direction of Congo, muttered something along the lines of "wait till we get back up" and then prioritized.
I guess I didn't properly relate all the details, because that's what I thought at first as well; but apparently the CGW went on until 2006, mostly as a sort of guerrilla conflict deep in the jungle or something. The marketing fluff explicitly states that world governments extended offers to assist that the Congolese government declined, and let's be real here; if aliens brought us to the brink of extinction and earned our undying, united cultural ire, would we just be chill if a disorganized African military assured us that they had the situation under control?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

This assumes that the Congolese government isn't equipped with more alien tech and gubbins than everyone else and therefore a world power. If they got hold of a squadron of functional alien fighters they could destroy the US air force and navy with absolute impunity; as far as we know, no conventional weapon can harm one of the alien attack craft, only sheer blunt force from a crash.

It also assumes they're not quietly paying some of those aliens say, food for tech or that other corruption isn't going on. It may well be that the Congolese or say, Ugandan government is actually partly in league with the aliens and prepared to deter non-enabled forces from interfering; if you were the ranking officer of the crashed aliens, wouldn't you seek local allies to keep all the spear-throwing primitives away from you until the rescue ship shows up?

Another scenario is that the majority of the surviving aliens landed and went bushwhacking, and there was no reason for world militaries to believe they were actually relevant enough to risk damaging relations with the African Union or its predecessors over; if they thought it was half a dozen aliens with no means to do anything of note, say.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

NecronLord wrote:This assumes that the Congolese government isn't equipped with more alien tech and gubbins than everyone else and therefore a world power. If they got hold of a squadron of functional alien fighters they could destroy the US air force and navy with absolute impunity; as far as we know, no conventional weapon can harm one of the alien attack craft, only sheer blunt force from a crash.
The War of 1996 website says it took about a decade or so before alien tech was able to be integrated into USAF aircraft. If a nation was operating alien fighters wholesale, the website neither mentions them nor do we see them in service in the trailer.
It also assumes they're not quietly paying some of those aliens say, food for tech or that other corruption isn't going on. It may well be that the Congolese or say, Ugandan government is actually partly in league with the aliens and prepared to deter non-enabled forces from interfering; if you were the ranking officer of the crashed aliens, wouldn't you seek local allies to keep all the spear-throwing primitives away from you until the rescue ship shows up?
Would that even be remotely possible after making an unambiguous attempt to exterminate your present pool of potential allies? One of the first shots in the first trailer is of a row of alien skulls impaled on stakes. Leaving aside some of the more troubling issues this poses about colonial racist narratives, the implication is definitely that there would be a powerful streak of anti-alien human survival sentiment worldwide after President Pullman's speech that made even remote Congolese villagers liable to beat marooned aliens to a pulp in the street if they came begging for mercy.
Another scenario is that the majority of the surviving aliens landed and went bushwhacking, and there was no reason for world militaries to believe they were actually relevant enough to risk damaging relations with the African Union or its predecessors over; if they thought it was half a dozen aliens with no means to do anything of note, say.
If the US was willing to slip into Pakistan and drop Bin Laden for 9/11, I honestly don't see why they'd be willing to allow a single alien to roam free on earth. The Congolese alien tech angle would be the only remote reason, and it doesn't seem like they had any as of this moment, so I don't see why it would take much longer than a quick conference call between Washington and Paris to have NATO arrange for Congolese deployment.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:
NecronLord wrote:Another scenario is that the majority of the surviving aliens landed and went bushwhacking, and there was no reason for world militaries to believe they were actually relevant enough to risk damaging relations with the African Union or its predecessors over; if they thought it was half a dozen aliens with no means to do anything of note, say.
If the US was willing to slip into Pakistan and drop Bin Laden for 9/11, I honestly don't see why they'd be willing to allow a single alien to roam free on earth. The Congolese alien tech angle would be the only remote reason, and it doesn't seem like they had any as of this moment, so I don't see why it would take much longer than a quick conference call between Washington and Paris to have NATO arrange for Congolese deployment.
My big question, I suppose, would be how much military power the US and other NATO countries had left after ID4/96. Certainly many of them were depicted as still having aircraft at least, enough to strike at the city-destroyer ships. The movie was quite vague on anything beyond that...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.