Common wealth verus Empire

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Typhonis 1 wrote:What was said was that the Andromeda could deliver enough nukes, 20 megatoners I believe , to the surface of a planet to wipe out all life on it.a far cry from destroying it which the DS1 did.
They have Nova bombs which is stronger and it's explosion was stron enough to turn a black hole into a white hole (somehow). Also they destroyed the Migogs worldship.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

Rob Wilson wrote:
XaLEv wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
300,000 ships would not be enough to protect multiple galaxies.
That's just the High Guard. The Home Guard would be much larger.
Yep, Captain Mainwaring and the boys would soon put Johnny Nietzhian in his place.
:D
::groans:: ::sics the warden on Rob::
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

Oh, and Mr. Wong had changed the forum description! We can now post vs. debates here!

::fires first shot::

HAH! 40K wups both the Empire and the Commonwealth!
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Lancer omega wrote:excuse the last post, must have had a brain bug. What I wanted to say is, Mike wong recentily posted that it very difficult to defend against hi velocity impact attacks using shielding technology, so how would the Empire fare against the system common wealth, who uses Kinectic kill missile from distances of several light minutes..
I dunno about that, in the Black Fleet Crisis a cruiser took repeated impacts from a hypervelocity gun, a planetary railgun designed to kill capital ships, it could fire slugs at a rate of 120 a second or minute or something, the shields caved in eventually but they weren't torn from their places or anything but they overheated.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner
Location: REALITY: Las Vegas FANTASY: riding the Beast, guarding the Bucket's ass

Post by Captain Kruger »

Falcon wrote:It would seem to me that the Commonwealth has the same big advantage over the empire that the empire has over the Federation (and its motly crew), speed. Being able to quickly travel between galaxies is even more impressive than being able to traverse one galaxy quickly.
There is definitely a huge speed advantage on the CW side. However, slipstream has disadvantages too. You can’t just jump from any point to any point at will. There are dedicated entry/exit points, as has been stated many times on the series. Hyperdrive has no such limitation; they can pop out in orbit just a planetary diameter away from any world on their charts. (Of course, this would only be an Imperial advantage after the CW captured some Imperial worlds as hyperdrive can’t reach our local cluster.)

Also, the GE’s advantage over the UFP is not just its speed, but its overwhelming logistic, natural resource and numerical advantages. This is not the case with a GE vs. CW war. The pre-Fall CW only had a million member worlds, as stated by Captain Hunt many times. One star system might have only a single member world, another might have two or three, and another might have several. The number of member systems might be as low as a few hundred thousand or as high as several hundred thousand, but definitely below one million. The Empire, on the other hand, has a million member systems, as stated in Ep 4 in the Death Star briefing room scene. This means that the number of GE member worlds exceeds one million, giving them the numerical advantage. Also, with more star systems under their control, the GE would have more natural resources under their control than the CW. The fact that the CW is spread over three galaxies to the GE’s one doesn’t change this.
Falcon wrote:Also, the Empire needs massive numbers of troops, to b supplied via a)cloning, or b)recruit n' train The Commonwealth and its thinking ships require a crew of a few or none.
The Glorious Heritage-class that Andromeda Ascendant belongs to carried a standard crew of 4,000 before the Fall. The AA has managed to function with her crew of five because there’s very little in the known universe anymore that can face her. Such a shoestring operation would never cut it in a full-scale war against the GE. The CW would need fully-crewed ships in order to function at peak capability.

However, on the flip side, the GE’s ships have much higher crew complements than that due to less automation in their vessels, so the CW could still put fewer people on more ships.
Falcon wrote:It is also stated that the Andromeda can easily obliterate a planet, but I havn't seen this demonstrated (havn't seen all the series, so I might be missing some stuff here). If it can dish out that much damage then anything it would have trouble destroying (other high guard ships were supposedly stronger than Andromeda) would be able to withstand planet destroying bombardment.
You’re probably thinking about the episode where Dylan and Tyr were playing co-regent to that prince. Dylan told some snotty Royal that he could de-populate his world in short order (can’t remember the time frame). Either that, or the episode where they found one of the AA’s sister ships, which had blasted a planet to hell by overloading its slipstream core and dumping it at the planet in question. This would obviously only be done against the GE in a suicide mission, as the CW vessel in question would have just turned itself into a sublight ship.
Take life by the balls!

The Universal Constants: death, taxes, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sucking ass.

Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Captain Kruger wrote:
Also, the GE’s advantage over the UFP is not just its speed, but its overwhelming logistic, natural resource and numerical advantages. This is not the case with a GE vs. CW war. The pre-Fall CW only had a million member worlds, as stated by Captain Hunt many times. One star system might have only a single member world, another might have two or three, and another might have several.

You have proof of how many systems there are i hope?

Captain Kruger wrote:
The number of member systems might be as low as a few hundred thousand or as high as several hundred thousand, but definitely below one million.
Again, proof.

1,022,347 member worlds in Systems Commomwealth stated by Rommie in "A Rose in the Ashes"

Just wanted to give you the number.

Captain Kruger wrote: Also, with more star systems under their control, the GE would have more natural resources under their control than the CW. The fact that the CW is spread over three galaxies to the GE’s one doesn’t change this.
Again, proof?

Considering SC is spread out through three major galaxies, Milky Way, Andromeda and another galaxy i have no idea and possibly 3 smaller galaxies mentioned in one website or two, probably satelite galaxies.
Say there are between 100 - 400 billion stars in each major galaxy that gives SC far more natural resources than the Empire. But the real question is how many shipyards they have, weapons factories, manpower and industries they have built up to compete with the Empire. So far we have no idea. It is just not the SC the empire will face but also other factions loyal to SC who are willing to fight along side them. GE might face more factions able to combat than there are in their own galaxy.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Dark Primus wrote:You have proof of how many systems there are i hope?
I have:

One Million Member Worlds and 50 million Colonies, Protectorates and Governorships

(ref: Star Wars The Roleplaying Sourcebook)

Pg. 3: "It's true, Han. The Force is bringing me closer to Luke ... even though he's light years away ... he's in terrible trouble, Han. The dark side is swallowing him whole! We've got to find him!" Han: "Sure, why not? There's only twelve million inhabited star systems out there ... it shouldn't be too hard."

(ref: Dark Empire)

Pg. 4-5: Perhaps five hundred thousand beings had gathered on the main floors, eager to catch a glimpse of the Hapans. Tens of thousands of security guards had cleared the gold carpet between the shuttle and Leia, and Han looked up to the balconies. Nearly every star system in the old Empire had had its own balcony here, and beside each balcony was the nation's standard. Over six hundred thousand of those standards hung now on the ancient marble walls, showing the membership of the New Republic

(ref: The Courtship of Princess Leia)
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner
Location: REALITY: Las Vegas FANTASY: riding the Beast, guarding the Bucket's ass

Post by Captain Kruger »

Dark Primus wrote:
Captain Kruger wrote:
Also, the GE’s advantage over the UFP is not just its speed, but its overwhelming logistic, natural resource and numerical advantages. This is not the case with a GE vs. CW war. The pre-Fall CW only had a million member worlds, as stated by Captain Hunt many times. One star system might have only a single member world, another might have two or three, and another might have several.

You have proof of how many systems there are i hope?
Captain Kruger wrote:
The number of member systems might be as low as a few hundred thousand or as high as several hundred thousand, but definitely below one million.
Dark Primus wrote:Again, proof.

1,022,347 member worlds in Systems Commomwealth stated by Rommie in "A Rose in the Ashes"

Just wanted to give you the number.
Alright, let’s see if I can explain this to you on a smaller scale.

Let’s say you have a small interstellar nation with exactly 5 member systems. This means at least 5 member worlds, right? But what if 2 of these systems have 2 member worlds each? That means a total of 7 member worlds.

Now take a 10-system nation. 2 of the systems have 2 member worlds each and one of the others actually has 3 worlds. The remaining ones have one world each. That means this 10-system nation has 14 member worlds.

You see where I’m going with this? 1,022,347 member worlds is all fine and good, but how many systems are those spread across? The Commonwealth can’t have 1,022,347 member star systems unless there is precisely only one inhabited world per star system without a single exception.

If the Empire had exactly one million systems under their control, that means more than a million worlds. Suppose that just 20 percent of their systems had two inhabited worlds each and the rest had only one, that would be a grand total of 1.2 million member worlds. That would outnumber the Commonwealth by 177,653 planets (or 1,184 UFPs!).
Dark Primus wrote:Considering SC is spread out through three major galaxies, Milky Way, Andromeda and another galaxy i have no idea and possibly 3 smaller galaxies mentioned in one website or two, probably satelite galaxies.
Say there are between 100 - 400 billion stars in each major galaxy that gives SC far more natural resources than the Empire. But the real question is how many shipyards they have, weapons factories, manpower and industries they have built up to compete with the Empire. So far we have no idea. It is just not the SC the empire will face but also other factions loyal to SC who are willing to fight along side them. GE might face more factions able to combat than there are in their own galaxy.
Oh yeah, this makes a HELL of a lot of sense. Let’s just invent new ways to try our damndest to tip the scales in the Commonwealth’s favor rather than debating the capabilities of the two particular parties.

Say there are between 100 - 400 billion stars in each major galaxy that gives SC far more natural resources than the Empire. As long as we’re demanding proof for everything here, where exactly is your proof that the SC would have free reign over ALL the natural resources of the Milky Way, Andromeda, and Triangulum galaxies? A million worlds is an utterly puny number compared to the total number of planets in these three galaxies. That means that even though the TV show focuses on them as the “great shining light” of the universe, they’re actually quite tiny relative to the rest of the Local Cluster.

It is just not the SC the empire will face but also other factions loyal to SC who are willing to fight along side them. GE might face more factions able to combat than there are in their own galaxy. Again, you say this as though it’s an unquestionable fact that other factions supposedly “loyal to the Commonwealth” will jump at the chance to follow them into some unexplored galaxy far, far away and fight some unknown enemy. Just what other factions are you talking about. Can you give names? Capabilities?

And as long as you want to include “other factions”, I should point out that the Galactic Empire at its height only consisted of 1/12 of the inhabited star systems in their galaxy. Hmm, what other factions can we bring in on their side? Especially considering this war could only happen if the Commonwealth was invading the Star Wars galaxy, giving these other factions cause to side with the Empire in the name of self-defense.

In closing, I should point out that I would definitely want the Commonwealth to win this war. The Empire is a dictatorship based on one mass-murdering Sith Lord’s obsession with power; the Commonwealth is a thriving democracy. But I’m not letting my personal preference get in the way. If you want to argue in favor of the Commonwealth, you have to do it based on their capabilities vs. the Empire’s, not by inventing stuff out of thin air to give them a leg up. The “good guys always win” stuff doesn’t cut it.

By the way, Dark Primus is a cool handle. Where’d you pick that up?
Take life by the balls!

The Universal Constants: death, taxes, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sucking ass.

Sokar
Jedi Master

A diffrent area of Intrest.....

Post by Sokar »

All this talk of number of planets and their industrial base on each respective side is fascinating, but I'm more intrested in the relative combat capabilities of the High Guard Fleet aginst the warships of the Imperial Navy. One caveat in this discussion to remember is that we have never actually seen the "Andromeda Ascendant" or any other High Guard Warship actually be able to open the full can of whup-ass that she was designed to inflict on her enemies. Since rescue she has always been severly under crewed, short on spares, damaged to one extent or another, and forced to use Long Night generation missiles and munitions(all of which is far inferior to the weapons manufactured during the era of the Commonwealth). Not to mention that she is bereft of one of her major force multipliers, pilots for her large compliment of slip fighters(which even when used in remote mode proved to be decisive, I can only imagine what they were capable with trained pilots and proper cordination).

Therefore I propose that we look at each area of military importance to a space based warship, Manuverability, Firepower, and Protection.

I. Manuverability -
In this catagory the edge has to go to the ships of the High Guard. HG vessels , and all o thers in the "Andromeda" universe use the term PSL as a velocity marker. PSL standing as Percent/Speed of Light. Now at times it has been noted in the show that vessels like the Andromeda can reach speeds up to 50 PSL and the small hyper manuverable slip fighters can close in on 80 PSL and offensive missile terminal velocity is up to 95 PSL!! With this massive advantage in non-hyper velocities I have problems even envisioning the Imperial Fleet even being able to force the High Guard to engage in open space. To my knowledge , Imperial vessels do not eveen move at a fraction of the speed capable by even Commonwealth freighters. Slip Fighters would make TIE Interceptors seem like they are just sitting still.....

More to Follow on the topics of Armaments and Protection , till then sleep beckons......
BotM
FireNexus
Cookie

Well...

Post by FireNexus »

The problem with that whole argument is that you're arguing velocity, not maneuverability.

Of course, that makes them nearly impossible to hit with standard weapons. But I doubt at maximum speed they'll be able to do much damage. Also, the G forces of a turn at any of those velocities would GOOIFY a human being, not to mention turn the ship into rubble.

Inertial dampers would help deal with the acceleration to such a speed, but not maneuvering at such a speed.

To be combat effective, or even able to TURN, the ships would have to be moving at a much slower pace, thus losing their advantage over enemy fighter craft and capital ships.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner

Re: A diffrent area of Intrest.....

Post by Captain Kruger »

Sokar wrote:I. Manuverability -
In this catagory the edge has to go to the ships of the High Guard. HG vessels , and all o thers in the "Andromeda" universe use the term PSL as a velocity marker. PSL standing as Percent/Speed of Light. Now at times it has been noted in the show that vessels like the Andromeda can reach speeds up to 50 PSL and the small hyper manuverable slip fighters can close in on 80 PSL and offensive missile terminal velocity is up to 95 PSL!! With this massive advantage in non-hyper velocities I have problems even envisioning the Imperial Fleet even being able to force the High Guard to engage in open space. To my knowledge , Imperial vessels do not eveen move at a fraction of the speed capable by even Commonwealth freighters. Slip Fighters would make TIE Interceptors seem like they are just sitting still.....
Maneuverability would definitely go to the Commonwealth side. Rommie is 1.3km long and yet still pulls turns, twists, and flips faster than any other capital ship I’ve seen outside of the Defiant and the White Star. However, your points above deal with speed, not maneuverability.

The speeds you note above are correct according to the All Systems website. However, according to a source I can’t remember at the moment, Imperial Star Destroyers have cruised as high as 65 PSL. I think it might have been in one of the novels, but unfortunately I can’t quote a title for you at the moment.

There is a problem with this entire concept. There is no such thing as “maximum speed” in space. There is nothing that would keep Rommie from going over 50 PSL as long as she still had fuel to keep pumping into her engines. The only max speed limitation for any spacecraft aside from its fuel efficiency is the light barrier itself and the time-dilation that comes with getting too close to it.

What is truly impressive about Rommie, aside from her wild maneuverability, is her acceleration. In the episode where Harper was building the Tesseract device, she went from a dead stop to 15 PSL (45,000km/sec) in just a few seconds!
Take life by the balls!

Sokar
Jedi Master

Hmmm....1am posts no good.......

Post by Sokar »

True , my focus was more on the speed aspect of the High Guard Fleet, now I understand that speed does not direxctly translate into manuverability(by ex . take the MiG - 25 "Foxbat" interceptor , fast as hell in a straight line, but it manuvers like a pig on ice) however, if we accept that thoes figures are the max velocities for High Guard ships traveling in a straight line at full power we can assume that they manuvedr at a slower pace .

Also , the issue of the crew and pilots being crushed by the G's such acceleration would create has already been adressed, "Andromeda" universe ships have ansystem called an AG(Anti-Grav , I know , I already read Darth Wongs insightful piece on the grav-tech brain bug and agreee with it, but hey , this is a Sci-Fi show, I give it points for lack of technobabble in the end anyway) field , roughly analogous to the Structural Integrity Field of "Trek". The Ag field acts as an inertial 'sump' preventing the crew from going "SQUIT" allowing the stupendous speeds and acceleration rates we have seen.

With this we can probably assume that in a manuver situation that the "Rommie" or one of her Slip fighters would at max be doing say 1/3rd of Max speed, that still means that a Slip fighter is cruising and manuvering at 25 to 30 PSL , with straight line bursts at higher speeds and "Rommie" or her sister Glorious Heritage - class Heavy Cruisers would be manuvering at 15 to 20 PSL......please show me any evidence that says that a TIE fighter moves at this speed or for the manuver speeds for an ISD and I will balance out my assesment of the Fleets relative manuverability.
BotM
Sokar
Jedi Master

Firepower

Post by Sokar »

For this section the playsheet is more balanced with an edge going to neither party. On one side we have massed heavy and super-heavy energy armaments , on the other we have massed kinetic kill based armaments........this one is a push folks.

High Guard warships lack any real type of energy armament save for their rapid fire point defense laser clusters , ther other armament is a set of 12 heavy rail guns mounted along the bow and body of the vessel. The real ship-killers of the Andromeda univese are the heavy K-kill missile batteries carried by all High Guard Warships. As previously stated the terminal velocity for these weapons is 90 to 95 PSL, these weapons lack any type of true warhead , rather the body of the weapon being the payload itself through the sheer mass of kinetic energy that will be released upon impact. the "Rommie" alone mount 40 such launchers, we have never been provided with a good reference as to "Rommies" rate of fire so we can only guess as to the number transiting weapons she could put into space , but I feel confident that several salvoes would quickly overwhelm the point defense and shields of a Imperial Fleet combatant. That is to even assume that Imperial gunners would be able to target and engage missiles traveling at near light speed.
BotM
Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner

Re: Hmmm....1am posts no good.......

Post by Captain Kruger »

Sokar wrote:Also , the issue of the crew and pilots being crushed by the G's such acceleration would create has already been adressed, "Andromeda" universe ships have ansystem called an AG(Anti-Grav , I know , I already read Darth Wongs insightful piece on the grav-tech brain bug and agreee with it, but hey , this is a Sci-Fi show, I give it points for lack of technobabble in the end anyway) field , roughly analogous to the Structural Integrity Field of "Trek". The Ag field acts as an inertial 'sump' preventing the crew from going "SQUIT" allowing the stupendous speeds and acceleration rates we have seen.
I agree with the lack-of-technobabble points; it makes the show very refreshing. The only exception is this “tesseract” crap. It’s just as bad as any Treknobabble out there. I’m hoping the writers keep this kind of thing to a minimum and stick to putting out a good military sci-fi series.

What you’re thinking of in your above quote is inertial dampers rather than structural integrity fields. The SIF are the systems that hold the ship together if it does a high-G maneuver that would be too much for the hull integrity alone to withstand. In case you hadn’t noticed, Star Wars has an equivalent technology. The Incredible Cross-Sections book calls them “acceleration compensators”. Han Solo called them “maneuveral dampers” when he was trying to fix the ones on his ship. They also have similar technology in Babylon 5 and just about every other science fiction franchise on the map. This technology is nothing unique to GR’s Andromeda. The only question is how much inertia any given ship in any given franchise is capable of compensating for.
Sokar wrote:With this we can probably assume that in a manuver situation that the "Rommie" or one of her Slip fighters would at max be doing say 1/3rd of Max speed, that still means that a Slip fighter is cruising and manuvering at 25 to 30 PSL , with straight line bursts at higher speeds and "Rommie" or her sister Glorious Heritage - class Heavy Cruisers would be manuvering at 15 to 20 PSL......please show me any evidence that says that a TIE fighter moves at this speed or for the manuver speeds for an ISD and I will balance out my assesment of the Fleets relative manuverability.
Uh...”probably assume”? Have you actually seen these ships pull sharp maneuvers at those speeds? Come on now, don’t start the age-old Trekkie tactic of pulling out imaginary capabilities. If you’ve got either on-screen examples or specs on the All Systems website to back up Rommie maneuvering like a bat out of hell at 15 PSL, then feel free to point them out. In the episode I mentioned where she went 15 PSL, she was doing so in a straight line.

As far as Imperial maneuverability, Star Destroyers have all the turning capabilities of a bathtub. I suppose that’s the downside of having neutronium-clad armor. But their acceleration is far from poor, as demonstrated when one of them easily caught up with the fleeing Milennium Falcon in Ep 4. (Keep in mind that the tiny Falcon would require only a miniscule fraction of a percentage of the power to maintain the same acceleration as an ISD.)

If you’d like more details on Imperial sublight acceleration, check out http://stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Pr ... sion2.html . Our own Lord Wong has assembled the details better than I ever could. Be sure to take particular notice of the part about the Falcon’s run-in with a neutron star...
Take life by the balls!

Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner

Re: Firepower

Post by Captain Kruger »

Sokar wrote:For this section the playsheet is more balanced with an edge going to neither party. On one side we have massed heavy and super-heavy energy armaments , on the other we have massed kinetic kill based armaments........this one is a push folks.

High Guard warships lack any real type of energy armament save for their rapid fire point defense laser clusters , ther other armament is a set of 12 heavy rail guns mounted along the bow and body of the vessel. The real ship-killers of the Andromeda univese are the heavy K-kill missile batteries carried by all High Guard Warships. As previously stated the terminal velocity for these weapons is 90 to 95 PSL, these weapons lack any type of true warhead , rather the body of the weapon being the payload itself through the sheer mass of kinetic energy that will be released upon impact. the "Rommie" alone mount 40 such launchers, we have never been provided with a good reference as to "Rommies" rate of fire so we can only guess as to the number transiting weapons she could put into space , but I feel confident that several salvoes would quickly overwhelm the point defense and shields of a Imperial Fleet combatant. That is to even assume that Imperial gunners would be able to target and engage missiles traveling at near light speed.
The High Guard does have a rarely-used heavy energy weapon: the anti-proton cannon. Pound for pound, these guns have been said to pack more of a wallop than the kinetic missiles do. My guess would be that the only reason for the AP guns’ rare use is because of targeting difficulties at anything but close range due to the lack of Commonwealth FTL sensor tech. Long before the guns are in range, the battle may already have been decided by missiles.

Rommie’s missile capabilities were in fact described in full during the episode where Dylan and Tyr played co-regent to that young prince. The 40 launchers are each capable of firing 8 rounds per second and each missile is 20 megatons. This gives Rommie a total yield of 6.4 gigatons per second if she‘s constantly firing all 40 tubes. Unfortunately for the lovely Rommie (I do love that ship!), this doesn’t look so good against the Empire. A single shot from a heavy turbolaser on the Old Republic’s Acclamator-class troop transports has a yield of 200 gigatons (ref: SW Ep 2 Incredible Cross-Sections). Rommie would have to be unloading all her tubes non-stop for 31 seconds to match the yield of that single energy bolt. The Acclamator has 12 of these guns (unsure of firing arcs), which means that the High Guard’s finest warship can find herself easily outgunned by a SW troop transport.
Take life by the balls!

Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Captain Kruger wrote:

Alright, let’s see if I can explain this to you on a smaller scale.

Let’s say you have a small interstellar nation with exactly 5 member systems. This means at least 5 member worlds, right? But what if 2 of these systems have 2 member worlds each? That means a total of 7 member worlds.

Now take a 10-system nation. 2 of the systems have 2 member worlds each and one of the others actually has 3 worlds. The remaining ones have one world each. That means this 10-system nation has 14 member worlds.

You see where I’m going with this? 1,022,347 member worlds is all fine and good, but how many systems are those spread across? The Commonwealth can’t have 1,022,347 member star systems unless there is precisely only one inhabited world per star system without a single exception.

If the Empire had exactly one million systems under their control, that means more than a million worlds. Suppose that just 20 percent of their systems had two inhabited worlds each and the rest had only one, that would be a grand total of 1.2 million member worlds. That would outnumber the Commonwealth by 177,653 planets (or 1,184 UFPs!).
So far we know there can be 2 - 100 colonies for each member worlds, more info would be needed on SC.

Captain Kruger wrote: As long as we’re demanding proof for everything here, where exactly is your proof that the SC would have free reign over ALL the natural resources of the Milky Way, Andromeda, and Triangulum galaxies? A million worlds is an utterly puny number compared to the total number of planets in these three galaxies. That means that even though the TV show focuses on them as the “great shining light” of the universe, they’re actually quite tiny relative to the rest of the Local Cluster.
Even with resources of one million worlds of CW is probably more than enough to combat GE. Assuming 1/1000th memberworld has a shipyard capable to build CW starships than that would still be huge numbers of starships leaving the construction lines. But that is only an assumption nothing more.
Captain Kruger wrote: Again, you say this as though it’s an unquestionable fact that other factions supposedly “loyal to the Commonwealth” will jump at the chance to follow them into some unexplored galaxy far, far away and fight some unknown enemy. Just what other factions are you talking about. Can you give names? Capabilities?

And as long as you want to include “other factions”, I should point out that the Galactic Empire at its height only consisted of 1/12 of the inhabited star systems in their galaxy. Hmm, what other factions can we bring in on their side? Especially considering this war could only happen if the Commonwealth was invading the Star Wars galaxy, giving these other factions cause to side with the Empire in the name of self-defense.
Galactic Empire only controlled 1/12 of the SW galaxy? That i wonder.
I thought the Galactic Empire stretched throughout the entire galaxy, except for Hutt space, some sectors like CSA sector, and losely controlling the Outer Rim territories.
CW would never start a war on the imperials, most likely nor will the Imperials since they know nothing about SC capabilities in warfare. The first contact would probably be about conversation, more likely will the Imperials trying to start some deal in which the imperials can benefit from. They need time by other words, to gather information on CW. Palpatine would probably send spies through to get what hi wants, probably trying to start a conflict between his empire and CW which will give him an excuse.

If the Empire blames CW for something and starts to invade CW some how that would most likely force smaller and larger forces to in SC to join forces to protect their interests. I doubt they want to live under a dictatorship.
Captain Kruger wrote: In closing, I should point out that I would definitely want the Commonwealth to win this war. The Empire is a dictatorship based on one mass-murdering Sith Lord’s obsession with power; the Commonwealth is a thriving democracy. But I’m not letting my personal preference get in the way. If you want to argue in favor of the Commonwealth, you have to do it based on their capabilities vs. the Empire’s, not by inventing stuff out of thin air to give them a leg up. The “good guys always win” stuff doesn’t cut it.
I agree.

Captain Kruger wrote: By the way, Dark Primus is a cool handle. Where’d you pick that up?
Primus from the Transformers comic. Dark, i don't know i thought it would fit into the name.
Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner

Post by Captain Kruger »

Dark Primus wrote:Galactic Empire only controlled 1/12 of the SW galaxy? That i wonder.
I thought the Galactic Empire stretched throughout the entire galaxy, except for Hutt space, some sectors like CSA sector, and losely controlling the Outer Rim territories.
The Death Star briefing room scene in Ep 4 revealed that the GE consists of one million member systems. There have been multiple references to the SW galaxy having a total of twelve million inhabited systems. That’s where I got the figure from.

However, that doesn’t stop the GE from stretching across the entire galaxy. Neatly defined borders in space are a Star Trek thing due to the real space nature of warp drive. No such thing is required in Andromeda or Star Wars. The CW and GE member systems can be located anywhere, stretched out in non-linear fashion in between non-member systems. Having hyperspace or slipstream at your disposal makes this easy.
Take life by the balls!

Renewed_Valour1
Padawan Learner

Post by Renewed_Valour1 »

Dark Primus wrote:So far we know there can be 2 - 100 colonies for each member worlds, more info would be needed on SC.
He has a good point. Hunt's Restored Commonwealth only has 50 member worlds. One of these members is the Sabra-Jaguar homeworld. However the Sabra-Jaguar control a host of other planets at the time they joined the RSC. The same was true of the Than when they joined the orginal Commonwealth.

Than Entry at All Systems: http://www.allsystems.org/social/than.shtml
"Than are natives of a planet called San-Ska-Re, located in the Triangulum Galaxy. The only known species since the Vedrans to develop slipstream technology independently, the Than had already settled nearly 100 worlds in their local cluster when they were inducted into the Commonwealth. Now Than colonies can be found nearly everywhere accessible by slipstream drive."

It may very well be that each "member world" may have had hundreds of colonies settled through out space.
Captain Kruger wrote:Rommie's missile capabilities were in fact described in full during the episode where Dylan and Tyr played co-regent to that young prince. The 40 launchers are each capable of firing 8 rounds per second and each missile is 20 megatons. This gives Rommie a total yield of 6.4 gigatons per second if she's constantly firing all 40 tubes.

You're assuming that she is firing OM-5 offensive missiles, which were the weapons that the Admiral in the Princes were using when he mentioned her firepower. Those also happen to be the weakest and shortest range missiles that the High Guard happens to have.
Captain Kruger wrote:The Acclamator has 12 of these guns (unsure of firing arcs), which means that the High Guard's finest warship can find herself easily outgunned by a SW troop transport.
The Glorious Heritage Heavy Cruisers are the finest warship in the Commonwealth flee but they aren't the most powerful. Even the older Deep Standoff Attack ships mount 60 missiles tubes to the GHC 40 ELS missiles tubes. The new DSX Siege Perilous Class destroyers that were in "Starcrossed" and "The Knight, Death, and the Devil" mount 180 ELS tubes. If she was firing the standard OM-5s she can salvo 28.8 GT/sec.

There's also the small detail that a kinetic missile barrage might not be enough to bring down the shields but they will get over the limit to burn through them and damage the hull IIRC.
Captain Kruger wrote:Uh..."probably assume"? Have you actually seen these ships pull sharp maneuvers at those speeds? Come on now, don't start the age-old Trekkie tactic of pulling out imaginary capabilities. If you've got either on-screen examples or specs on the All Systems website to back up Rommie maneuvering like a bat out of hell at 15 PSL, then feel free to point them out. In the episode I mentioned where she went 15 PSL, she was doing so in a straight line.
Watch "D-Minus 0" you'll see an interesting maneuver that Hunt mentioned as being analogous to a Crazy Ivan or as Beka put it "the old nauseate your enemy trick". It was a series of random velocity and directional changes performed at combat speeds to puzzle an enemy followed by breaking out of it at full speed at your target. You have a 1,301 m capital ship often spinning on axis jinking about at combat speeds.
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:
XaLEv wrote:

And this Home Guard is mentioned WHEN? :o
Here, and here.
「かかっ―」
Patrick Ogaard
Jedi Master

Post by Patrick Ogaard »

XaLEv wrote:
Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:
XaLEv wrote:

And this Home Guard is mentioned WHEN? :o
Here, and here.

I don't know the title of the episode, but in it the good captain Hunt comes across an out-of-the-way planet whose population is recruited from the descendants of Andromeda survivors. It's a miniature Commonwealth, complete with an Argosy base and a Home Guard commanded by an Admiral directly descended from, and a genetic twin of, Hunt's traitorous First Officer. The only space-going military forces actually seen and verified in terms of numbers would be a formation of 36 Centaur-class space superiority fighters. There are also references to regiments of Lancers (Commonwealth marines), and some Lancers, primarily ceremonial honor guards, are shown.

The actual total strength of the fighters and patrol craft available to the Home Guard of the system is not defined in concrete terms, though, making a force of 36 fighters supported by at least one orbital base and assorted courier and patrol craft a conservative base strength for a reasonably well-developed and prosperous world of the old Commonwealth.