The Martian - November 2015 - Starring Matt Damon

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

The Martian - November 2015 - Starring Matt Damon

Post by Borgholio »

This...looks actually fairly entertaining. Kinda reminds me of Mission to Mars, or Robinson Crusoe on Mars.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Re: The Martian - November 2015 - Starring Matt Damon

Post by Terralthra »

I've read the book, and it was excellent. If the movie executes the book well, it will be quite good.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Per associates, watch the first one minute and forty five seconds of the trailer and stop, watch no farther.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I still wish that guy would finish Cheshire Crossing...

Anyway, this one just went to the top of my "Films worth bothering to see in the cinema" list.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Didn't expect it to come out so soon - but that's a must see, the book is fantastic

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Terralthra wrote:I've read the book, and it was excellent. If the movie executes the book well, it will be quite good.
Hopefully people will keep in mind that a film, by its nature, is never just like a book and that being different does not necessarily mean being bad.

Anyway, I haven't read the book, but this sounds interesting.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Part of what made the book so good was that the author did his homework. The suspension of disbelief required was absolutely minimal. Much like the movie of Apollo 13, they can leave out some of the details, but if they leave out the engineering and science challenges involved, it would make it a very different thing indeed. Not that that would necessarily be bad, just that it would not have the same appeal for me. I can already see some of the better examples from snippets in the trailer, so I'm not yet concerned.
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

I also have read the novel, and agree it is very good. If the movie keeps close to the book, and from the trailer it appears it likely does, then this will be an excellent movie.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Ditto on the "read the book, book was epic, trailer looks faithful" comments above - said trailer is somewhat book-spoilery after 1:40ish, again as said.

My only fear is the idea of Matt Damon in a space suit again. Considering Interstellar...
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Matt Damon is not one of my favorites, but I really hope the whole cast knocks this one out of the ballpark.

I really loved the novel - finding genuine hard SF is difficult these days.

I hope I can love the movie, too.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
J Ryan
Youngling

Post by J Ryan »

Having read the book and being very interested in the film, I have one question.

Very minor spoiler, which is revealed in the whole trailer anyway
Spoiler
It's stated that Mark can't contact Earth which is fair enough when they aren't looking for him, but once they know he's there, couldn't they just use any of the big dishes on hand to essentially swamp Mars with radio waves that his radio can pick up? And couldn't our big dishes like the SETI ones pick up Mark's radio?
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

J Ryan wrote:Having read the book and being very interested in the film, I have one question.

Spoiler
It's stated that Mark can't contact Earth which is fair enough when they aren't looking for him, but once they know he's there, couldn't they just use any of the big dishes on hand to essentially swamp Mars with radio waves that his radio can pick up? And couldn't our big dishes like the SETI ones pick up Mark's radio?
Spoiler
From memory, he basically had virtually no radio capability at the hab; all its comms could do reliably were relay to the quadruple-redundant systems on the MAV - a hundred feet away.
J Ryan
Youngling

Post by J Ryan »

Venator wrote:
J Ryan wrote:Having read the book and being very interested in the film, I have one question.

Spoiler
Spoiler
From memory, he basically had virtually no radio capability at the hab; all its comms could do reliably were relay to the quadruple-redundant systems on the MAV - a hundred feet away.
Spoiler
He still had the suits and the rovers radios. Although only short range I would have though with the power the large dishes on earth have NASA would be able to talk to him though talking back would be an issue.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

J Ryan wrote:Spoiler
He still had the suits and the rovers radios. Although only short range I would have though with the power the large dishes on earth have NASA would be able to talk to him though talking back would be an issue.
Spoiler
Yeah... no. The power level required to broadcast a VHF radio signal strong enough to be received on a standard in-cab or wearable radio set at a distance measured in light-minutes is beyond anything we have the technology for; at an optimistic estimate you'd need an antenna the size of the Chrysler Building and enough electrical power to light up the state of Illinois. Establishing comms at that distance is a job for line-of-sight microwave transmitters.
Last edited by Zaune on 2015-06-09 08:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thank you Zaune. For some reason I can remember the passage on ULF radio and undersea communications from Sphere perfectly, but couldn't recall shit about real-world space transmissions.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

It's mind boggling how stupid it is in terms of story reveal. :/
This is an issue with many modern trailers it seems. Think about the trailer for Terminator Genesys...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Venator wrote:Ditto on the "read the book, book was epic, trailer looks faithful" comments above - said trailer is somewhat book-spoilery after 1:40ish, again as said.

My only fear is the idea of Matt Damon in a space suit again. Considering Interstellar...
Having just watched Interstellar (live-blogged commentary on my facebook page), the problem with that movie was not the acting. The acting was awesome, including Matt Damon. Hell, even always-clothed Matthew McConaughey was good.

The problem was the writing and enough of the story to make me cringe.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Sorry, I should have clarified - Damon's acting was great; if he came off as disjointed it only added to the impression of a broken man at the end of his rope. The downside is that that excellent characterization leaves a lasting negative stigma of an any astronaut played by him :P.
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

Well as soon as he was all "Science the shit out of this", well...I just hope they capture Whatney's character down. The geekish references, the being forced to watch Golden Girls, or whatever the hell shows he was forced to watch.
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: The problem was the writing and enough of the story to make me cringe.
Oh, thank god, I´m not the only one who found Interstallar was mind numbinigly stupid.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Rarely has xkcd been more on-point:

Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

Enjoyed the book, hope the movie can break the Mars movie curse.
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Mythbusters's Adam Savage is a fan, he did a nearly hour-long interview with Andy Weir (author of the book) a few days ago.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

salm wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote: The problem was the writing and enough of the story to make me cringe.
Oh, thank god, I´m not the only one who found Interstallar was mind numbinigly stupid.
Interstellar was dancing on Kubrick's grave. I found it both stupid and disrespectful, in that it made a film about global questions into "America can into space again!"
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali