General slliness with freeze rays

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

General slliness with freeze rays

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Although I have looked all over the place for information on the subject, I have sadly been unable to find anything that tells me about whether freeze rays could potentially freeze a vehicle.

So, thus comes my stupid question. What kinds of temperatures are neccesary to freeze a MBT (i.e let's just say a Abrams or something) solid, to the point that it is literally encased in ice, and is it possible for any sort of technology to generate those temperatures practically?
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Re: General slliness with freeze rays

Post by open_sketchbook »

Um, presumably, zero Celsius, if you threw some water on there. Well, I guess you'd have to negate the engine heat, and you'd want it to freeze fast, but it's not just temperature that's important; you need some water to chuck on there as well.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Oh, I forgot about needing water. :banghead:

Well, we need something to shoot water at the tank, of course.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Not really a "ray," but would it be possible to combine a water hose and liquid nitrogen sprayer? Or would the nitrogen boil off too fast once it hits the air?
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

More likely it would result in you launching chunks of ice and liquid nitrogen at high speed that would immediately boil and possibly explode on impact.

Maybe not a good anti-material weapon, but it could be interesting as some kind of anti-personal, potentially non-lethal weapon.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

That souns rather interesting, actually.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Is there any way to make the traditional superhero comics freeze ray work without asking the laws of physics to leave the building?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Rabid wrote:More likely it would result in you launching chunks of ice and liquid nitrogen at high speed that would immediately boil and possibly explode on impact.

Maybe not a good anti-material weapon, but it could be interesting as some kind of anti-personal, potentially non-lethal weapon.
It sounds like it'd be hilarious to watch, at least.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Batman wrote:Is there any way to make the traditional superhero comics freeze ray work without asking the laws of physics to leave the building?
In a word, no.

It's still awesome though.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Well it's not like that answer was exactly unexpected.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Rabid wrote:More likely it would result in you launching chunks of ice and liquid nitrogen at high speed that would immediately boil and possibly explode on impact.

You might have better results with a mixture of alcohol and water. The alcohol will delay freezing, and when boiling off it will carry away additional heat. However a big problem with a freezer weapon is ice is a pretty good insulator, so if your trying to freeze material like a tank to the core its actually not a good idea to quickly coat it in ice.

Humans would just die, or remain mobile. Its not going to be very effective either way. Get close enough to stop them, you'll stop them with massive frostbite and potentially suffocation, hooray we've made a very elaborate shotgun. At any distance its like blowing them with snow, very annoying but you'd also obscure any view of what they are doing, liquid nitrogen create billowing clouds if used in any quantity, so its incapacitating value is very questionable and proportional to the rate at which you are causing frostbite anyway.

Maybe best results would come from some kind of device that would hit the target with super cooled helium, which never freezes, perhaps in a string of grenades, then apply the water/alcohol + liquid nitrogen snow spray.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

You could just go with a glue-sprayer whose product happens to look like like ice.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Hun, you know that makes me think, what about those chemical cold packs? They work by dissolving stuff in water that sucks up lots of heat to dissolve, a super version of this plus glue could well replicate the freeze ray effects then any other idea. All the more so if the chemical cold compound could somehow be made to form a gel that hardens from the glue.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Hun, you know that makes me think, what about those chemical cold packs? They work by dissolving stuff in water that sucks up lots of heat to dissolve, a super version of this plus glue could well replicate the freeze ray effects then any other idea. All the more so if the chemical cold compound could somehow be made to form a gel that hardens from the glue.
Hmm, yes, something like that sound quite realistic.
It's of course still not a ray, but we manage to get good range out of flamethrowers (around 100 meters i think), so i see no reason why we shouldn't get similar range with this freeze-glue. Hardly an effective battlefield-weapon, but then again it makes much more sense as a crowd-control weapon anyway.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

I wonder how toxic this freeze-glue would be, or what would be the odd of it finding a way to block the respiratory system of the target subject...
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

about the liquid nitrogen water/alcohol firehouse thing, would that be any good at crowd control? break up a roit or mob by creating a layer of ice on the ground and/or using it to quickly make low barriers
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Well, if you're spraying alchohol or any liquid to cool down the target then the resulting liquid will turn into a vapor as it carries away the heat (unless it's like a solid or soemthing, then it turns to liquid). Spray a riot with refrigerating alchohol and you'll get a cold crowd in an area full of alchohol vapors. I seriously doubt the fumes would get anyone 'drunk' but it would do something... like sting alot? Actually, it sounds like it would be hightly flammable and an errant spark would set the crowd on fire or make the air explode or something.

Spraying a crowd with a firehose that shoots ice-water sounds about as close as I can think of without getting too dangerous. In that, the goal would be to disrupt the crowd and the cold litterally takes the energy out of them to make it harder to riot. Can also slip them up or knock them down like with regular water (Maybe make it more effective at putting out fires? Just give the fire truck some kind of super-cooling system built in?).

Things like encasing stuff in ice would be better served with that foam that turns solid. Best used against machines or people you don't mind suffocating. Other less-lethal things might involve extra slippery goop that trips them up and makes it harder to grip things. Maybe the goop is kept cold so becomes more slippery or sticky once it hits human body heat or something?

One of the biggest issues with freeze rays is that you're going to need a source of water and water just doesn't compress that well. Things like foam or soap can be mixed up rapidly or stored with liquid and gas components but you really can't do much with water by itself. I suppose you could have some kind of thing that blows out snow or hail (mix of water and cold air) but that's about it.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

Or you could do it with lasers; http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... scool.html-

This was part of the 1997 Nobel prize, and basically you bombard something with laser light and get it to emit- excite it with the laser and induce it to spontaneously emit- shedding energy along the way.

Tunable beam, match to the emission spectra of the material- ta-dah, freeze ray.

On alloys- on compounds- it might be a shade iffier, but it might just have a place in the Plausible Midfuture; combat- hardening a scientific instrument to actually make it useful would be tricky, and it would have all the power/fragility problems of any other laser, but basically, why not?
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Marko Dash wrote:about the liquid nitrogen water/alcohol firehouse thing, would that be any good at crowd control? break up a roit or mob by creating a layer of ice on the ground and/or using it to quickly make low barriers
Systems already exist that will spray absurdly slippery chemicals on the ground to create barriers, on pavement they make walking or vehicle travel completely impossible, without the risk of frostbite a spray of ice would have. They also wouldn't melt in the sun rapidly. Actually spraying a crowd with ice is a bad idea.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

A laser type device was what I was thinking too. Something that removes the energy of the atoms moving around so that they slow down to a stop; which if I am thinking correctly would cause it to reach absolute zero (or very close to it).

Or am I just being retarted again?
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Its a fair question. Laser cooling can work more then one way. One method works by slowing the atoms, another uses photos to transport heat away and I think others still besides that. As far as I can tell, the methods all rely on hitting the target material from multiple directions at once, though in varying manners. The atom slowing method certainly works that way. Additionally they normally have the target material already held in a magnetic field which disconnects it from all external physical contact, and can be adjusted to allow the hottest atoms to spill out, significantly supercooling the material before the lasers get involved. It doesn't seem very likely at that these methods could even remotely scale up to rapidly cool a large internally heated object like a person or vehicle.

However a sufficiently advanced freezing weapon might be able to employ laser/magnetic cooling in ordered to prepare its ammunition. The colder the stuff you can spray or project on a target, the better you'll cool it down all else being equal. Supercooling isolated ammo would be much easier then supercooling an unenclosed target.