IDEA! Avatar 2: Ava-Tarrer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: IDEA! Avatar 2: Ava-Tarrer

Post by PeZook »

Cesario wrote: With the proviso that when a comic book villain has a doomsday device, they rarely just throw the thing in the closet and try their hardest to never mention it.
This is commander Cesario! I am tired of the space elves making me feel down. I order you to point your starship's ass-end at the planet and irradiate the SHIT out of it!

But commander Cesario! Won't this destroy the biosphere of the planet, possibly making Space UN revoke our exclusive mining charter?

I don't care!

Won't this also destroy the climate that allows us to work in light clothing while only using simple filter masks? And won't we also have to replace all the now-radioactive mining equipment and facilities, stopping unobtainium shipments for decades, or possibly centuries?

I might not have thought this through. I will consult the leprechauns! Stand by, starship!
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:The hologram sky-advertisements of one megacity are shut down. There, the night sky is pitch black. Darker than the darkest night. Blacker than the blackest heart. And dotting that midnight expanse of nothing are twinkling twinkling little stars.

And at the sight of these things, which the Earthicans haven't seen before in their hologram-skyed lives, the night sky replete with stars, they freak out in fear. There is pandemonium! There is horror!

THE SKY IS FALLING!

Man, imagine how shitty that would be.

People looking up, seeing no holo-adverts, seeing blackness and twinkling stars and the moon, and instead of feeling wonder or wanderlust or whimsy, they feel discomfited, they feel wrong, as if the night sky will suck them up.

That would suck so much.

What a poor bunch of chuds.
Man, I just realized that this here "people screaming when confronted by the night sky" can be a pretty effective symbolization of
It's a natural reaction of those whose minds have been stifled by the concentration camps of the imagination, and whose creativities have been amputated, to shriek when exposed to different things that push the boundaries of their limited perspectives and preconceptions
the mindsets of these people.

It's also similar to those Krikkits from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. When that nebula around their planet or whatever was gone, and when there was nothing obscuring their night sky, they saw all of the stars up there.

And decided that they didn't like it, and so they were going to kill everyone and everything in all of those stars.

These people are a bunch of Vogons.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Cesario wrote: Except for the part where the Na'vi were giving lectures about how the evil, soul-less humans aren't at one with nature, or like our great hero, after becoming the leader of the Na'vi tells their god that humans killed the planet earth. No, there was clearly no luddism here at all. :roll:
Environmentalism /= luddism. Or else Sea Shepherd wouldn't be sailing on modern ships to stop Japanese whalers. Al Gore wouldn't be telling us to get solar panels etc etc. Being concern about the environment doesn't mean destroy all technology more advanced than bows and arrows.

Plus the Na'vi weren't adversed to using radios to communicate during the battle.

Wait, I predict you are going to say, but the Navi (who can fly on their mounts and live on trees) refused technology such as roads. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

You know, for a movie that was an overhyped simple morality tale, it certainly has some strange staying power with causing arguments....
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

!!!

I found a SOURCE for a passing mention of an energy shortage!

From the in-game Pandorapedia:
Avatar: The Game wrote:The development of matter-antimatter power reactors was initially seen as the solution to Earth's energy shortage and pollution problems. But the abundant cheap power they produced only encouraged the construction of new factories. This in turn created more pollution and increased the demand for scarce natural resources.
Oh dear, the RDA wasn't saving the Earth after all, just finding a way to fuck it up it faster.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

mr friendly guy wrote: Wait, I predict you are going to say, but the Navi (who can fly on their mounts and live on trees) refused technology such as roads. :D
Don't you know? The leprechauns have spoken ; They say that unless the Na'Vi take human offerings in exchange for their ancestral home, then they are stupid and/or evil. They have no right to refuse to deal and not get themselves killdozed.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

*sighs*

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

Darth Tedious wrote:
Cesario wrote:You don't get it. You stopped accepting evidence some time ago. You stopped accepting your own evidence some time ago.
I haven't used the wiki as evidence in support of any of my points.

I've been quoting from Pandorapedia to back up my claims.

It was weemadando who directed you to the wiki's timeline page.
And the relevant information on that page is all very well-referenced.
I mean, look at this reference list:
1 ↑ James Cameron's Avatar: An Activist Survival Guide, page XV
2 ↑ Newspeaker in 2148 says "The Bengal Tiger, extinct for over a century, is making a comeback." Heard in Jake's room in the Earth intro
3 ↑ James Cameron's Avatar: An Activist Survival Guide pg. 11
4 ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Calculated by the fact that by the time of the tsunami accident he has been a soldier for around 9 years, joined at the age of 18.
5 ↑ http://www.oscars.org/press/presskits/n ... avatar.pdf pg. 11
6 ↑ Pandorapedia article for Able Ryder.
7 ↑ René Harper only arrived in 2142, and for Grace to have "put ten years" into it, it must have been founded ten years before the massacre in 2152.
8 ↑ Grace stated that he trained for three years.
9 ↑ mentioned on Jake's TV in the extended edition of the film.
:shock: Bibliography!
Clearly people have put some work into researching the facts on this page. It isn't just one guy who "thinks it might be from somewhere".

I've never claimed at any point that the wiki itself was a canonical source.

I did say this:
The wiki you referenced earlier seems to have a fair bit of information on the history of humanity on Pandora. There should be no need for speculation.
And I said it because all the relevant facts on that page are quite well referenced and cited to canon EU sources.

But "Have a look in the wiki, you might find something" =/= "The wiki is a canon source"

tl;dr - Stop being evasive and present the evidence for your latest theory.

What mention is there of living plant samples being sent back to Earth?

Back up your claims.
I'm sorry, were you actually going to pretend I'm still debating with you?
Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:
Cesario wrote:What exactly did you want to know?
The discussion would just go a lot more smoothly if when someone asks you a question you would answer it rather than making the effort of explaining an excuse to not answer it.
It would also go more smoothly if people would ask questions rather than imply that questions had been asked somewhere in the thread at some point.
PeZook wrote:
Cesario wrote: We could just let ten billion or so filthy, stinking humans die so we won't have to spend all that energy keeping them alive. Then the remaining 10 billion fitlhy, stinking humans can repeat the process when it turns out they still can't survive in a dead biosphere with their existent resources, and a few more billion people die.
MR. SPACE PRESIDENT, I HAVE A SOLUTION TO OUR ENERGY WOES!

You do? Tell me! Tell me now, Cesario!

Let us build an interstellar starship to go to Alpha Centauri! I think we have a good chance to find a magic rock there that will let us build massive power sources that will feed our starving populace!

Oh my god, Cesario! What a brilliant plan! Come 'ere you, let me give you a big wet kiss!

And the best thing is, to send that starship on its way, we only need to build a huge laser and use the entire output of a gigantic power plant that could power Earth forever!

YOU ARE A GENIUS, CESARIO!
Cesario wrote:Too bad the antimatter reactors require unobtainium to be constructed on the scales needed.
Oh, so they got the laser to send the first four-kilometre insterstellar starship to Alpha Centauri from leprechauns, then? :D
So if you have a nuclear bomb, you can clearly manage a self-contained nuclear power plant, right? Building a giant laser solves the exact same problem as building a network of power plants fueling distribution and manufacture of food resources. Sure.
PeZook wrote:
Cesario wrote: With the proviso that when a comic book villain has a doomsday device, they rarely just throw the thing in the closet and try their hardest to never mention it.
This is commander Cesario! I am tired of the space elves making me feel down. I order you to point your starship's ass-end at the planet and irradiate the SHIT out of it!

But commander Cesario! Won't this destroy the biosphere of the planet, possibly making Space UN revoke our exclusive mining charter?
You mean the biosphere that's trying to kill us and the Space UN that apparently lets us get away with massacring children with no reprocussions?
PeZook wrote: I don't care!

Won't this also destroy the climate that allows us to work in light clothing while only using simple filter masks?
The climate that has been described by our own people as "the most hostile environment known to man"? Wear heavier clothes and thank your lucky stars you aren't on a death world anymore.
PeZook wrote: And won't we also have to replace all the now-radioactive mining equipment and facilities, stopping unobtainium shipments for decades, or possibly centuries?
Because it took centuries to set those up the first time?
PeZook wrote: ...

I might not have thought this through. I will consult the leprechauns! Stand by, starship!
If I'm going to be a comic book villain, so be it. Fire.
mr friendly guy wrote:
Cesario wrote: Except for the part where the Na'vi were giving lectures about how the evil, soul-less humans aren't at one with nature, or like our great hero, after becoming the leader of the Na'vi tells their god that humans killed the planet earth. No, there was clearly no luddism here at all. :roll:
Environmentalism /= luddism. Or else Sea Shepherd wouldn't be sailing on modern ships to stop Japanese whalers. Al Gore wouldn't be telling us to get solar panels etc etc. Being concern about the environment doesn't mean destroy all technology more advanced than bows and arrows.
Too bad the natives are clearly of the opinion (and the audience is called upon to agree with them) that the Na'vi way of life is the ideal. There is no compromise here. No acknowledgement that there are positive aspects of both cultures that could be put together into a greater whole. Just an outright rejection of everything in the human way of life and a complete embracing of everything in the Na'vi way of life, which actually has no technology more advanced than bows and arrows.

All the while, the Na'vi are a dependent species who can only live their idylic lives because they're being actively watched over and cared for by an insufficiently advanced alien keeping them as pets.
mr friendly guy wrote: Plus the Na'vi weren't adversed to using radios to communicate during the battle.

Wait, I predict you are going to say, but the Navi (who can fly on their mounts and live on trees) refused technology such as roads. :D
Actually, I was going to point out the irony in the fact that once again the only thing we ever see the Na'vi find useful from humans are things they can use to kill humans.
Darth Tedious wrote:!!!

I found a SOURCE for a passing mention of an energy shortage!
*gasp* The one I made up from thin air? How is that possible?
Darth Tedious wrote: From the in-game Pandorapedia:
Avatar: The Game wrote:The development of matter-antimatter power reactors was initially seen as the solution to Earth's energy shortage and pollution problems. But the abundant cheap power they produced only encouraged the construction of new factories. This in turn created more pollution and increased the demand for scarce natural resources.
Oh dear, the RDA wasn't saving the Earth after all, just finding a way to fuck it up it faster.
So the only real solution is to shut off all the power and let the weak die horribly. The strong virile men who survive will then form into self-contained tribes who kill the shit out of any of their neighbors constantly to keep the world population down, and anyone looking into science gets burned as a heretic by people who don't remember what the real problem was. Truly it would be an ideal world. Wait, I think I've seen this one done before...
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Cesario wrote: So if you have a nuclear bomb, you can clearly manage a self-contained nuclear power plant, right? Building a giant laser solves the exact same problem as building a network of power plants fueling distribution and manufacture of food resources. Sure.
Oh yeah, the laser totally runs on magic and leprechaun gold, unlike power generators that allow humanity to produce food.

P.S.

Yes, genius, if you can produce nuclear bombs you can build nuclear power plants, too, since producing plutonium requires you to use reactors :D
Cesario wrote:You mean the biosphere that's trying to kill us and the Space UN that apparently lets us get away with massacring children with no reprocussions?
Commander Cesario decrees there is no difference between shooting kids and wiping out a unique planetary biosphere with weapons of mass destruction we've been specifically ordered not to use!

THE LEPRECHAUNS HAVE SPOKEN!
Cesario wrote:The climate that has been described by our own people as "the most hostile environment known to man"? Wear heavier clothes and thank your lucky stars you aren't on a death world anymore.
Commander Cesario declares fully enclosed EVA suits are merely heavier clothing, and a massively radioactive world is no longer dangerous!

Cesario wrote:Because it took centuries to set those up the first time?
Commander Cesario declares it's just as easy to build open-air facilities with limited sealed living spaces equipped with filtration systems as it is to construct fully enclosed, radiation-hardened habitats that have to produce their own water and air!

Cesario wrote:So the only real solution is to shut off all the power and let the weak die horribly. The strong virile men who survive will then form into self-contained tribes who kill the shit out of any of their neighbors constantly to keep the world population down, and anyone looking into science gets burned as a heretic by people who don't remember what the real problem was. Truly it would be an ideal world. Wait, I think I've seen this one done before...
Because accepting a lower standard of living and stringent production/power usage restrictions is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. The only alternative to rampant consumerism and industrialization is anarchy and tribalism!

Shutting off holoads and wallscreen TVs would obviously result in destruction of society. Obviously.

Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

I think the point that I'm trying to make and I'm not communicating very well, is that all that power generation needed for inter-stellar travel could be used to generate energy for Earth as well. To manufacture anti-matter for star-ships, or those anti-matter reactors on Earth, and to power your mega-laser you'd probably go for massive space based solar collectors. To build those you'd need some pretty hefty space industrial capacity (the Pandorapedia does mention inter-planetary fusion powered ships) and at that point there's no reason why you couldn't build orbital solar arrays and beam endless cheap power down to Earth without any need for Unobtanium. There's also no reason why you couldn't have asteroid mining making mineral resources cheap and plentiful either and space based industry massively reducing pollution, but that's why I say the EU material makes no logical sense. It's as if RDA got total control of all space and decided to fuck over Earth in the name of corporate profits and shiny star-ships! :P :lol:
Image[
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

PeZook wrote:
Cesario wrote: So if you have a nuclear bomb, you can clearly manage a self-contained nuclear power plant, right? Building a giant laser solves the exact same problem as building a network of power plants fueling distribution and manufacture of food resources. Sure.
Oh yeah, the laser totally runs on magic and leprechaun gold, unlike power generators that allow humanity to produce food.
Or rather it requires extremely low temperatures to function at all without Unobtainium, which cause engineering problems when you're trying to repurpose it for other uses. Note Tedious explaining how Unobtainium actually did solve problems that made the technology practical for applications other than a giant space laser in-universe.
PeZook wrote: P.S.

Yes, genius, if you can produce nuclear bombs you can build nuclear power plants, too, since producing plutonium requires you to use reactors :D
Since you take issue with that example, let's talk about the gunpowder engine. We have a power source with greater energy density than gasoline, and we can use it to make bombs, guns, and artillery pieces, so obviously that means we can trivially make use of that same energy source to make a wheel spin without solving any other engineering problems whatsoever.
PeZook wrote:
Cesario wrote:You mean the biosphere that's trying to kill us and the Space UN that apparently lets us get away with massacring children with no reprocussions?
Commander Cesario decrees there is no difference between shooting kids and wiping out a unique planetary biosphere with weapons of mass destruction we've been specifically ordered not to use!

Pretty much. Either the Space UN are some combination of callous, in our pockets already, stupid, or uninvolved, or they are not. The massacre going down with no consequences proves it was the former.
PeZook wrote:
Cesario wrote:The climate that has been described by our own people as "the most hostile environment known to man"? Wear heavier clothes and thank your lucky stars you aren't on a death world anymore.
Commander Cesario declares fully enclosed EVA suits are merely heavier clothing, and a massively radioactive world is no longer dangerous!

Pretty much, yeah. Or rather, a massively radioactive world is another "environment known to man", and thus, by definition must be less hostile than the one we just burned off.
PeZook wrote:
Cesario wrote:Because it took centuries to set those up the first time?
Commander Cesario declares it's just as easy to build open-air facilities with limited sealed living spaces equipped with filtration systems as it is to construct fully enclosed, radiation-hardened habitats that have to produce their own water and air!

If we could do it in "the most hostile environment known to man" that quickly, there's every reason to believe we could do it more quickly in the less hostile envivornment resulting from us killing everything on Pandora.
PeZook wrote:
Cesario wrote:So the only real solution is to shut off all the power and let the weak die horribly. The strong virile men who survive will then form into self-contained tribes who kill the shit out of any of their neighbors constantly to keep the world population down, and anyone looking into science gets burned as a heretic by people who don't remember what the real problem was. Truly it would be an ideal world. Wait, I think I've seen this one done before...
Because accepting a lower standard of living and stringent production/power usage restrictions is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. The only alternative to rampant consumerism and industrialization is anarchy and tribalism!

Shutting off holoads and wallscreen TVs would obviously result in destruction of society. Obviously.

Actually, the supporters of the film are the ones who seem to think the only alternative is anarchy and tribalism. I'm rather of the view that feeding the population and not letting everyone die horribly for the convenience of the magical blue space elves is perfectly doable.
Xess wrote:I think the point that I'm trying to make and I'm not communicating very well, is that all that power generation needed for inter-stellar travel could be used to generate energy for Earth as well. To manufacture anti-matter for star-ships, or those anti-matter reactors on Earth, and to power your mega-laser you'd probably go for massive space based solar collectors. To build those you'd need some pretty hefty space industrial capacity (the Pandorapedia does mention inter-planetary fusion powered ships) and at that point there's no reason why you couldn't build orbital solar arrays and beam endless cheap power down to Earth without any need for Unobtanium. There's also no reason why you couldn't have asteroid mining making mineral resources cheap and plentiful either and space based industry massively reducing pollution, but that's why I say the EU material makes no logical sense. It's as if RDA got total control of all space and decided to fuck over Earth in the name of corporate profits and shiny star-ships! :P :lol:
Like I said, it's like the entire situation is nothing more than a mysterious "god" contriving a situation to turn humans into the bad guys. And that the humans are mysteriously far more resistent to that sort of thing than I ever would have imagined, with only Quaratch snapping under the pressure.
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

lolwut

Okay, canon or not, 'our own people' are fucking retarded if they think a planet with tolerable radiation, temperatures and air pressure is 'the most hostile environment known to man'. There are deadlier places right here on Earth. Or maybe they'd prefer working on Mars in the same equipment where, if they didn't immediately die of hypothermia, get all their equipment clogged with dust, blindly fall off a cliff in one of the omnipresent sandstorms, or develop severe health issues with the air pressure there, they could always pass away later in a highly undignified fashion thanks to exposure to extreme amounts of radiation.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:
lolwut

Okay, canon or not, 'our own people' are fucking retarded if they think a planet with tolerable radiation, temperatures and air pressure is 'the most hostile environment known to man'. There are deadlier places right here on Earth. Or maybe they'd prefer working on Mars in the same equipment where, if they didn't immediately die of hypothermia, get all their equipment clogged with dust, blindly fall off a cliff in one of the omnipresent sandstorms, or develop severe health issues with the air pressure there, they could always pass away later in a highly undignified fashion thanks to exposure to extreme amounts of radiation.
Which suggests that the biosphere of Pandora was being extremely hostile to make Mars look like a less hostile environment.
Last edited by Cesario on 2012-01-08 01:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Or you know, he was speaking hyperbole.
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

Crazedwraith wrote:Or you know, he was speaking hyperbole.
Yes, that's certainly the more likely possibility.

Which just makes calling that bluff more ammusing. "You said this was the most hostile environment known to man. I changed it into an irradiated crater. You're welcome."
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Cesario wrote:Which suggests that the biosphere of Pandora was being extremely hostile to make Mars look like a less hostile environment.
Wait, what the fuck? :lol:
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Okay, I'm curious. I read Cesario's first post to try and cut through the pages of righteous indignation and Shroomyness, and while I can see your point about the Na'vi not being perfect (as I didn't see them as perfect either)... you're still left with the overriding issue of RDA trying to destroy an entire society's home just to enhance their bottom line.

Now, let's pretend I'm a being so powerful yet neutral that even Shroomy's hypothetical Hindu-god beings from the OP accept my rulings. I am deciding whether RDA will be permitted to destroy Home Tree to get to the Unobtanium. The Na'vi argument is fairly simple in its moral basis; it's their land. It's their home. RDA has no moral justification to force them to leave so they can rip mineral out of the ground. They don't want anything to do with Humanity in general and have no interest in whatever technology or methodology Humans can provide to make their lives easier.

Now it's your turn. You are arguing for RDA's right to mine under Home Tree and to destroy it, and all the land between it and their main base, and that by their refusal to negotiate the issue or to sustain major diplomatic initiative they are in the moral wrong and RDA cannot be held accountable for the hypothetical (at this time, obviously it happened in the movie) assault to destroy Home Tree. Present your case, counselor.

And please, everyone, let him answer without weighing in with your two cents. I want to strip away the baggage that's built in the thread and hear the argument from his own words, without him having to respond to outrage in the process.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Cesario wrote:
Too bad the natives are clearly of the opinion (and the audience is called upon to agree with them) that the Na'vi way of life is the ideal. There is no compromise here. No acknowledgement that there are positive aspects of both cultures that could be put together into a greater whole. Just an outright rejection of everything in the human way of life and a complete embracing of everything in the Na'vi way of life, which actually has no technology more advanced than bows and arrows.

All the while, the Na'vi are a dependent species who can only live their idylic lives because they're being actively watched over and cared for by an insufficiently advanced alien keeping them as pets.
You mean how the audience is called upon to agree with you that RDA is the good guy right? :D

Too bad the Na'vi actually were doing human things like going to school until RDA gunned them down. But don't let that fact get in the way of the bullshit theory. I guess there goes your there is no compromise here as well. As well as the no acknowledgement about positive aspects of human culture (or else why would they go to a human school). You are either goddamn retarded, was high on drugs when you watched avatar (or when reading through this thread), or just outright dishonest. Your nerd rage is no longer amusing.

Hey I guess Selfridge is also a luddite as well right? After all he rejected Grace's suggestion they explore the biological technology that is Erwa. LOL selective quotation of evidence for TEH WIN.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Darth Wong wrote:If America said "we need oil" and invaded another country for it, who besides Americans would think that this makes them the good guys?
Tony Blair?
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Cesario wrote:Like I said, it's like the entire situation is nothing more than a mysterious "god" contriving a situation to turn humans into the bad guys.
It was.
That "god" you refer to has a name.
His name is James Cameron.
He wrote Avatar.
He decided to use the humans as the villains in his story.
So he has them doing morally reprehensible things throughout the plot, and never making any effort to redeem themselves.
He did not assign them a noble cause.
He made greed their driving motivation.

Avatar is a very one-sided morality story.
Deal with it.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Man, it's like a contrived god made that mustached short fat guy the bad guy in The Last Samurai. Poor Selfridgu-sama.

It's like a contrived god that made the Pharaoh of Egypt continue enslaverizing the Hebrews. (Actually he literally 'hardened' the Pharaoh's heart in the novelization.)

It's like a contrived god made Gaston an asshole and made him hunt down the beast and all his talking cutlery and silverware friends.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Whoa, whoa, wait guys, are you saying that Avatar IS A FICTIONAL CREATION?

Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

One of the things that popped up to me while I was reading the 40K Fantasy Flight games material was that it's quite possible the RDA and the Earth's government are deliberately manufacturing some sort of crisis in order to manipulate the greater population. There may not be an actual 'crisis' per se, but people who can build and fuel spaceships and who obsess bout profit and such probably wield enough power to manipulate things and make it seem like a crisis.
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

Darth Tedious wrote:
Cesario wrote:Like I said, it's like the entire situation is nothing more than a mysterious "god" contriving a situation to turn humans into the bad guys.
It was.
That "god" you refer to has a name.
His name is James Cameron.
He wrote Avatar.
He decided to use the humans as the villains in his story.
So he has them doing morally reprehensible things throughout the plot, and never making any effort to redeem themselves.
He did not assign them a noble cause.
He made greed their driving motivation.

Avatar is a very one-sided morality story.
Deal with it.
That's not quite accurate. He did not vilify all humans; just the corporatist and militarist humans. The scientists looked like good guys.

It's easy to see why this sticks in the craw of conservatives who have spent the last 150 years promoting the exact opposite value judgement, ie- that corporatists and militarists are the noble saviours of our society, while scientists are dangerous, irresponsible, and amoral.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

Steve wrote:Okay, I'm curious. I read Cesario's first post to try and cut through the pages of righteous indignation and Shroomyness, and while I can see your point about the Na'vi not being perfect (as I didn't see them as perfect either)... you're still left with the overriding issue of RDA trying to destroy an entire society's home just to enhance their bottom line.

Now, let's pretend I'm a being so powerful yet neutral that even Shroomy's hypothetical Hindu-god beings from the OP accept my rulings. I am deciding whether RDA will be permitted to destroy Home Tree to get to the Unobtanium. The Na'vi argument is fairly simple in its moral basis; it's their land. It's their home. RDA has no moral justification to force them to leave so they can rip mineral out of the ground. They don't want anything to do with Humanity in general and have no interest in whatever technology or methodology Humans can provide to make their lives easier.

Now it's your turn. You are arguing for RDA's right to mine under Home Tree and to destroy it, and all the land between it and their main base, and that by their refusal to negotiate the issue or to sustain major diplomatic initiative they are in the moral wrong and RDA cannot be held accountable for the hypothetical (at this time, obviously it happened in the movie) assault to destroy Home Tree. Present your case, counselor.

And please, everyone, let him answer without weighing in with your two cents. I want to strip away the baggage that's built in the thread and hear the argument from his own words, without him having to respond to outrage in the process.
Very well, your honor. This is a fairly simple case, that shall no doubt be resolved in short order, so that you can proceed to more important and complex rulings befiting one of your station.

What this argument ultimately comes down to is the fundamental moral question: "Is it ever morally justifiable to take something that doesn't belong to you?"

I freely admit that the Na'vi are the legitimate owners of the planet Pandora and all its resources.
(For the sake of this discussion, at any rate. The presence of Eywa complicates the situation somewhat, but for the purposes of this argument, I will be assuming that legitimate ownership is with the Na'vi.)

Where I differ from my opposition is on a matter of Fact, and a matter of Principle.

First to the matter of Principle, which I consider the most important element, but also the one about which there can truly be the least discussion. I put forward that there is such a thing as a legitimate need. To put this into the context of an ordinary human life, as I wouldn't presume to understand how or if it applies to superbeings on your level, human beings need food in order to stay alive. When a human being does not eat enough food, our bodies undergo a slow and painful death by a process we reffer to as "starvation". Now, all parties in this debate agree on the concept of ownership, but what happens when the principle of ownership and the principle of need interact? What happens when a human is faced with needing food to avoid starvation, but is not the legitimate owner of food?

I put forward that there are certain steps a human in this situation must take, which I believe all parties can agree to. The human must attempt to get the agreement of the legitimate owner of the food he needs to survive before simply taking it for himself. This can be accomplished by one of several means, from the legitimate owner deciding to exercise his ownership rights to simply hand over the food, to the human offering trade to the legitimate owner for that food. Under ideal circumstances, the human's need is met, and the legitimate owner is allowed to continue to exercise his property rights.

But what if that negotiation fails? What if the human cannot afford the price of the food, or the legitimate owner refuses to sell at any price? It is here that I differ from my opposition. I put forward that when peaceful, socially responsible attempts to meet a legitimate need have failed, then the one with the need can morally take what they need by any means necessary, though the responsibility remains to minimize the breach of the social contract to the degree that remains possible.

My opposition believes that it is never permissible to violate the legitimate ownership rights, even in the face of what I would term a legitimate need. Effectively they have argued that there is no such thing as a legitimate need. When the human above faces starvation and negotiation has failed, he must accept starvation or perhaps seek some less unpleasant means of self-termination, but may not take that which is not legitimately his in order to meet this need.

As to the matter of Fact, I have put forward a case that the situation presented in the film is one of a legitimate need. As I said, the previous matter is far more important, since if the matter of Principle is not agreed to, the matters of Fact are completely irrelevant, as I've conceeded at the beginning the matter of who the legitimate owner is.

The first matter of Fact I have put forward is that the human race in the film is facing a resource crisis such that some not insignificant percentage of 20 billion humans will die without access to Unobtainium. On my initial entry into this debate, I mistakenly recalled that this was described in the film, but a review of the script posted on page 5 told me that I had learned this through expanded universe sources, the cannonicity of such are currently being questioned by my opposition, though the details of that discussion are long, technical, and can be gone into in greater detail if the court feels the need to get into that mess.

The details of my allegations regarding the legitimate need and likelihood of a not insignificant percentage of 20 billion humans being likely to die without access to unobtainium are as follows:

1) The population of the planet earth is 20 billion in the universe in question.
2) The planet earth has undergone a major ecological catastrophe since the 20th century, whether suddenly or gradually, likely a result of runaway industrialization and poor stewardship over the planet's biological resources.
3) As a result of this ecological catastrophe, which I will agree was most likely caused in whole, by the human species, the human population cannot be fed without factory manufactured food.
4) A new point I will add, since the need to bring in expanded universe material to point out the existence of the catastrophe in the first place means there is no reason not to mention it, the atmosphere of the planet earth is unbreathable to human beings without the aid of manufactured breathing devices like those in use on Pandora.
5) The energy resources required to manufacture and distribute food and breathing equipment to the people on the planet earth have outstripped the ability of humans to provide them with their current energy resources.
6) Unobtainium makes antimatter power generation feasible on earth.

Thus without Unobtainium, the humans will not be able to generate sufficient energy in useable form to manufacture and distribute the food and breathing devices needed to keep all those people alive.

The next matter of fact is not in dispute, but ought to be referrenced for the sake of completeness. Unobtainium exists nowhere in the universe known to either of the parties involved except for Pandora. Attempts to replicate its properties as a room temperature superconductor by humans and thus eliminate the need to perform interstellar mining operations have not been successful. Pandora is the only source of Unobtainium, so if the legitimate need for Unobtainium is to be met, it must be met by the deposits on Pandora.

Now, as you will see on the subject of Principle above, simply having a legitimate need is not sufficient. One must make an attempt to meet that legitimate need through socially responsible means. It is my position that the humans have made such an attempt, and have indeed gone above and beyond what I would consider even sane, let alone necessary, in their efforts to meet their burdon here.

Attempts to establish communication with the native sapient species of Pandora known as the Na'vi were conducted by the humans prior to the start of this film. The result of these efforts are that the humans were able to learn the Na'vi language, and established a school for the Na'vi to learn English. As it is impossible to negotiate when one does not have a language in common, this was an absolutely necessary step towards meeting the burdon of trying to resolve this problem through socially responsible means.

This brings us to the Avatar program itself. The Avatar program is a sophistocated bioengineering project to acheave for humans what you and your fellow omnipotents often reffer to as "a form you are comfortable with" on behalf of the Na'vi. The Avatars are effectively Na'vi like biological constructs remotly piloted by human consiousnesses, used in an effort to present a face to the Na'vi more like their own. The time and effort constructing these Avatars is what I reffer to when I state that attempts to acheave peaceful contact went above and beyond even what I would consider sane. There is no inherent inability for humans and Na'vi to interact. Both can speak one another's languages without biological alterations. Both can be in the same room together with only the expedient of a filter mask for a human in Pandora's atmosphere. Indeed, most of the humans on Pandora work using said filter masks regularly and as was mentioned above, said masks are a part of normal life on the humans' home world as well. The Avatar program was an extra step made for the purpose of making negotiation easier and more comfortable for the Na'vi.

While the Omnipotent Court has already acknowledged that the Na'vi refused to negotiate the issue or to sustain major diplomatic initiative, a few words on that subject probably ought to still be said. The Na'vi were apparently presented with a proposal of some kind, involving roads, medicine, and education, though the specifics are unknown. What is known is that the human characters presented in the film are not aware of anything the Na'vi would accept in trade, and have gone to the trouble of suggesting things blindly in the hopes of finding something. It required an incident of apparent divine intervention instagated by the Pandora superbeing Eywa in order for the human Jake to avoid being killed on sight. When presented with the possibility that was presented, the human authorites immediately saught to use this oportunity to again attempt negotiation, ordering the human Jake to learn what they might want in order to facilitate a trade. I thus put forward that the humans have done their due dilligance in attempting a diplomatic solution as required by the Principle noted above.

But even with that moral responsibility discharged, one item remains on my matter of principle noted above. The requirement that the one with the legitimate need take steps to minimize the harm when taking without permission. When the time came three months after this point that no progress had been made, and there was no legitimate expectation of progress, even as noted by Eywa's chosen Jake, the go-ahead was given. Jake was again sent in to speak with the Na'vi, as the only human who's voice would even possibly be heard among them. Jake was instructed to deliver a warning to evacuate the site. This is a part of minimizing harm, as the Na'vi needed to be informed and given the chance to leave before the destruction began.

The Na'vi did not heed this warning (and instead took hostages), but that was not the end of the efforts to diminish casualties among the Na'vi. While some of my opponents have decried the (proposed) use of chemical weapons in the Home Tree incident, the intent behind them is obvious. Force those still inside to get outside. Home Tree is going to be destroyed at this point, so the chemical weapons are a means of forcing the issue of evacuation on a group of people who are otherwise trying to stand and fight to the death. While it can be posited that the Na'vi deserve the choice as to whether to accept the loss of Home Tree or face death with it, the intentions behind the attempt to force the evacuation are not malign as some would have you believe.

This has been the main thrust of my argument, your honor, but another matter does need to be brought up. The mining outside the Home Tree site. As my opposition have pointed out, unobtanium does indeed exist in places other than Home Tree, and it is possible that those other sites could be mined instead. It is possible to take this fact as a negation of my entire argument after the point on the necessity of unobtainium in general, but that would be a shallow reading. As others have pointed out, the Na'vi objected violently to the existing mining operations away from the Home Tree site, and had in fact been killing human miners before they even became aware of the humans' intent to mine Home Tree without their approval. The Na'vi are not content to allow any mining, at the Home Tree site or elsewhere, and have cut off diplomatic contact as your honor has already noted.

One theory has been put forward that the secondary site was just as much a part of their home as the Home Tree itself. Another theory has it that the Na'vi consider everything sacred and object on principle. The truth cannot be known, however, since the Na'vi themselves have refused to comment on the subject.

The Home Tree site was apparently chosen for two broad reasons. First, it was the most abundant site yet discovered. Second, as a means of discouraging further attacks on humans.

I will discuss each of these points in more detail below:

1) While EU material presented by a member of my opposition indicates that a later satelite survey discovered 25 more sites at or above that level, humans are not temporally transcendent beings like your honor, and thus can only be held responsible based on information they actually had. Further, the details of that survey were not made avalible, and nothing indicates that the Na'vi would have been any more amenable to mining at those sites than they were at the Home Tree site.

Mining a rich site is more productive than mining a poor site, meaning that a greater volume of Unobtanium could be extracted from the Home Tree site with less effort and environmental destruction than would be involved with more numerous and poorer mines. While the increased production and lower effort is a plus for the humans in this situation, and certainly played some role in their decisionmaking process, the lower environmental impact ties in with the overall responsibility to minimize harm.

2) The Na'vi had been making attacks on human miners at the poorer site already being mined by the RDA prior to the start of the film. While it could be argued that the humans' attempt to meet their need without the permission of the legitimate owners, even if morally acceptable in and of itself, still puts them as legitimate targets for murder without a right of self-defense, it is not my position.

Regardless of this moral point, however, there is the practical matter that the Na'vi attacks on humans and their refusal to come to the negotiating table are not doing them any favors with the public opinion of the 20 billion people who face a slow death by starvation or a quick one by suffocation if the mining does not go ahead. The more humans die on Pandora, the less able the general public is going to be to maintain their already unexpectedly high degree of respect for the Na'vi. Since, prior to the conveening of this court, the only thing preventing the use of orbital weapons against the Na'vi was the goodwill of the human population, stopping the deaths of the miners protects the Na'vi as well.

The intent, was to demoralize and demonstrate the futility of further attacks, not to exterminate as evidenced by the sending of the evacuation order, and the attempt to force evacuation using chemical weapons when that failed. By destroying this symbol, the hope was to avoid the need for further bloodshed on either side.

As a final note, I will say that even if the humans are ruled in favor of, and the Home Tree mining goes ahead, the mere presence of this court means, happily, a far better outcome for the Na'vi, since their presence in this court to give their statement means they will also hear the ruling. Whether they believe this court any more than they did their god's chosen one remains to be seen, but it does at least present another oportunity to save Na'vi lives, which humanity does value.