Doctor Who S32E8, "Let's Kill Hitler" [spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How do you rate "Let's Kill Hitler?"

5/5
10%
4/5
32%
3/5
28%
2/5
17%
1/5
13%

Total votes: 69

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Re: Doctor Who S32E8, "Let's Kill Hitler" [spoilers]

Post by lordofchange13 »

Does anyone have ideas on what the question might be? I personally think it's the doctor's name.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Maybe, but what's amusing to think is that the doctor's name was mentioned as basically unpronounceable for humans IIRC...
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Do We have ANY canon examples of Gallifrey being spoke, not just written down?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Absolute drivel. I didn't quite get why people hated River so much, but, seeing her in another actress without the previous baggage to get in the way, I get it now. So very, very obnoxious.
ChosenOne54
Padawan Learner

Post by ChosenOne54 »

I thought it was a pretty fun episode.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I must admit, I did like Rory and Amy making crop "circles" to summon the Doctor.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Actually I liked it, there were a bunch of fun parts...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

I thought it was pretty good, considering how much plot narrative was crammed in. I'm another one who can't see why River's so hated by most on here. She was also anything but Mary Sue in this episode, as she spent most of it not really knowing what was going on. I liked the deprogramming beginning when she realised he wasn't the bad person she had been brainwashed into believing. "You still care. I have to admit that's impressive."

Loved the midget-run robot time enforcer thing - a nice idea. We now also know the Doctor is aware of when and how he dies.

Assuming baby Melody is rescued, it will be interesting to see how this impacts on River as we now know her. If she's rescued, she won't get the brainwashing and will be a different person as a consequence. I wonder whether we are coming to the end of her time with the Doctor - this could easily be final episode reveal. In order to rescue Melody, he has to lose River. Remember, he is supposedly meeting her in reverse, so this should theoretically be the last time he meets her from his point of view.

I suspect we'll be seeing the time enforcer people again.
What is WRONG with you people
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

0 is far more appropriate.
Load of utter garbage from start to finish.

If they were going to do a decent Hitler inclusion at least they could have made a proper show out of it like they did with Winston Churchill. Instead the entire plot could have happened anywhere with Rory punching Chuck Norris for some sort of silly 'Haha Awesome" moment bullshit. I really cannot believe the Doctor tries to take the moral high ground with these individuals punishing criminals of history. That said, I get the impression this is supposed to be setting up the Doctor as some sort of Anti-Hero for everyone to rally against.

My disgust with the River Song character is simply beyond words now. When I see her die it will no longer be sympathetic, it will be merciful release. Between Torchwood and Doctor Who I really want to know the hell is going on to make these shows pull this amount of bullshit.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Loved it. It was fun, clever and entertaining.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Watched it.

Boy am I glad to have bailed out on DW some time ago.

Utter, unintelligent drivel with River being as obnoxious as ever.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
ChosenOne54
Padawan Learner

Post by ChosenOne54 »

My, there are a lot of differing opinions for this episode.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Eh. It wasn't great overall but it did have some rather good moments in it; namely Rory punching Hitler and the entire gun/fruit bowl exchange.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Hillary wrote:Assuming baby Melody is rescued, it will be interesting to see how this impacts on River as we now know her. If she's rescued, she won't get the brainwashing and will be a different person as a consequence. I wonder whether we are coming to the end of her time with the Doctor - this could easily be final episode reveal. In order to rescue Melody, he has to lose River. Remember, he is supposedly meeting her in reverse, so this should theoretically be the last time he meets her from his point of view.
If Moffatt wants to keep his show-destroying Mary Sue around (and he almost certainly does) he has to do some serious retconning of the nature of her relationship to the Doctor.

Didn't they give up the 'meeting backwards' thing last year? It already makes no sense River would be confused meeting Tennant.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

PREDATOR490 wrote:My disgust with the River Song character is simply beyond words now. When I see her die it will no longer be sympathetic, it will be merciful release.
Actually... she already died. 2008 series, specially in "Forrest of the Dead". Go ahead and watch it - she gets fried in place of the Doctor.

Which makes her a total Mary Sue as she can't die because she already has done so in front of the Tenth Doctor. Every episode we see her in we know she's going to live.... because it's not the one she died in.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

DarkSilver wrote:Too late, I'm going to explain it anyway. She didn't have the lipstick on when she regenerated. Remember, she went to "weigh herself" briefly, and then to "check it all out" in another room, while Amy, Rory and the Doctor where in some disbelief, thus giving her the chance to put the poisoned lipstick on out of their LOS.

Issue resolved.
Issue resolved?

Okay, and where the crap did she get the magic regeneration-freezing lipstick? Why didn't the poison affect her? And why did she even need to travel in time and regenerate, why didn't she just shoot the Doctor upon first meeting him?

I'm used to Doctor Who playing fast and loose with the whole "making sense" thing, but this episode was just beyond stupid.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Bright wrote:Okay, and where the crap did she get the magic regeneration-freezing lipstick?
Presumably the Silence outfitted her with it. Exactly when they did it is open to debate, but I don't necessarily see it as an unresolvable contradiction.
Why didn't the poison affect her?
If she took care not to swallow the poison herself and wiped the lipstick off as soon as she had kissed the Doctor, she would probably be safe.
And why did she even need to travel in time and regenerate, why didn't she just shoot the Doctor upon first meeting him?
Because he would have just regenerated, and Amy and Rory would presumably have restrained her before she got the chance to fire a second shot off. As crazy as that incarnation of Melody/River was, I seriously doubt that she would have shot her parents.
Which makes her a total Mary Sue as she can't die because she already has done so in front of the Tenth Doctor. Every episode we see her in we know she's going to live.... because it's not the one she died in.
I have a feeling that's going to be the dilemma the Doctor will face in the season finale. He's probably going to be up against a situation whereby he can save himself from being shot by the Astronaut incarnation of Melody (assuming that it actually is her inside the suit), and possibly even give Amy, Rory and Melody their normal lives back, albeit at the cost of nullifying River's entire existence and radically changing the timeline.
ChosenOne54
Padawan Learner

Post by ChosenOne54 »

Apparently Episode 13 will have this quote:

"Crowds lined the mall today as Holy Roman Emperor Winston Churchill returned to the Buckingham Senate on his personal mammoth."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Is that supposed to be clever or funny, Moffat?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Sounds like something from those nineties DWEU books.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It's probably written by a 90s EU author; the show is certainly as married to stories about time travel as the awful EU was back in the day.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Bright wrote:Okay, and where the crap did she get the magic regeneration-freezing lipstick?
Regeneration Freezing isn't hard. The Seventh Doctor was nearly prevented from regenerating in the TV Movie by human anaestetic drugging him up to the eyeballs. Accidentally.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

ChosenOne54 wrote:"Crowds lined the mall today as Holy Roman Emperor Winston Churchill returned to the Buckingham Senate on his personal mammoth."
Wait, no-one's taking this quote literally, are they? Does anyone honestly think we're going to see that in the finale? :lol:

This reminds me of that quote that RTD leaked in the pages of Doctor Who Magazine, a few weeks before the Season 2 finale. I don't remember the exact quote, but people were using it as evidence that Rose was going to become a Time Lord (or possibly get cyber-converted) at the end of the finale, and all it turned out to be was part of a heart-to-heart talk between Rose and her mother within the first ten minutes of "Army of Ghosts."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

3/5 for me.

The whole ridiculous robot Nazi machine man with little people inside them was great, and the episode started pretty well. The later-middle and end bits were... eh.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!