Space Marines=Death Toys

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Ohma
Jedi Knight

Re: Space Marines=Death Toys

Post by Ohma »

I just find the fact that the words small, parent(s)(ing), and children, are always bright red, to be hilarious. It makes it difficult for me to read the rant without simply glossing over everything that isn't "SMALL CHILDREN SMALL CHILDREN CHILDREN PARENTS OF SMALL CHILDREN SMALL CHILDREN SMALL CHILDREN!"
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

:lol: :lol:

Oh man, that rant that he replaced his page with is even better! I couldn't breathe for laughing so hard.

Man this guy really has problems. I think he needs to find a hobby to distract away from his hate. Hey, he should pick up Space Marines!
:roll:
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

But, he's fighting the Good Fight™! He can't let those brainwashed NWO zombies hold him down with a mere email barrage! Why, if he gives up, the world will be overrun with psykers and genetically engineered super-men and space fleets will spread humanity across the stars! We can't let such a horrible future happen! Fight the mind-control, always wear your tinfoil hat!

Also, the hilarious formatting of his rant had me giggling too. Are conspiracy nuts always utterly devoid of good taste or the ability to design a proper website?
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Darmalus wrote: Also, the hilarious formatting of his rant had me giggling too. Are conspiracy nuts always utterly devoid of good taste or the ability to design a proper website?
What you mean the repetition of SMALL CHILDREN didn't fill you with a horrible sense of guilt at laughing at him? ;)

Really though, I knew it was going to be hilarious when I saw it had changed to plain text on white. You know he's gotten angry if he tore down his pretty pictures and photographic evidence.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Lord Relvenous wrote: What you mean the repetition of SMALL CHILDREN didn't fill you with a horrible sense of guilt at laughing at him? ;)
Well he's inspired me to play Dark Heresy with my kids. :lol:

Actually I'm surprised that the GW IP police haven't nailed his ass.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

I'm disappointed he/she took down the original rant (with pretty pictures) for the new, even more unstable one. Couldn't he/she have just added the new rant at the bottom?

This is nearly as entertaining as the crazy feminazi who declared Firefly to be evil sexist propaganda and that Joss Whedon raped and abused his wife.
Your ad here.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

So what would the evil sexist propaganda parts of Firefly be, exactly?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Batman wrote:So what would the evil sexist propaganda parts of Firefly be, exactly?
Everything, apparently.

I'm not kidding. I've read the rants referenced, and the femnazi in question turns every. Goddamn. Sentence. In the script into evil sexist propaganda.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Ohma wrote:I just find the fact that the words small, parent(s)(ing), and children, are always bright red, to be hilarious. It makes it difficult for me to read the rant without simply glossing over everything that isn't "SMALL CHILDREN SMALL CHILDREN CHILDREN PARENTS OF SMALL CHILDREN SMALL CHILDREN SMALL CHILDREN!"
Now, I speak from ignorance, having never bought a 40k model, but don't they all have the same warning labels that are on every model? "Small parts - choking hazard - not intended for small children"?
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Yep. 40K products are even said to be intended for 12+.

Feil, isn't your av a space marine? I always thought you were a 40k buff because of your av.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Really? I thought he was a 40k buff from the fanfic he wrote "The Shadow War", which is prominently advertised in his sig.

Feil: nobody pays attention to those warnings anyways! When the biig hoopla over GTA3 was ongoing, gamers pointed out "Hey, it's rated M for mature, kids can't buy it on their own" to which the frenzied mob had no real response. Didn't stop them from continuing their frothing denouncements though.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Lord Relvenous wrote:Feil, isn't your av a space marine? I always thought you were a 40k buff because of your av.
I got into 40k through Dawn of War and assorted fanfiction and have bought a number of books, including Dark Heresy and one supplemental, but I've never had enough interest in the miniatures to be willing to pour money down that particular drain.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Hawkwings wrote:Really? I thought he was a 40k buff from the fanfic he wrote "The Shadow War", which is prominently advertised in his sig.
You assume everyone clicks on signature links, or if they do, that they read the material presented therein. I've never looked at his fanfic before.

I've never actually seen any kid under the age of maybe 14 even looking at 40K products at my local store. I don't have a Games Workshop in my area, so that could account for it.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Oh, you could recognise that it has something to do with 40K from the distinctive Raven Guard symbol on his sig...if you are good with 40K fluff, that is.

And i have met a lot of kids 10+ playing 40k. I started at 13 myself. Most of them suck at tactics, but hey, they are kids.

And i could list quite a number of positive effects:
-They get acustomed to communication with adults
-they learn patience - painting and modeling takes a lot of time, after all
-they get at least some basic skills with money - after all, they have to plan what to buy with limited amounts of it.

Heck, Warhammer helped me focussing on my life at some times. Having something where i could be part of a community while being mocked by everyone at school, having something to do to keep from breaking down etc.
Every other hobby in the world would have done the same for me, propably. But i was neither great at sports, nor at music or arts, so it was Warhammer (both Fantasy and 40K) for me.
Long life diversity!
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

ahhh his pretty page with GW images is gone, any bets that the GW IP Police smacked him upside the head?
Enosh
Redshirt

Post by Enosh »

first post, but reading here for years

so, please tell me someone has a saved version somewhere of how the webpage looked before the SMALL CHILDREN rant
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Enosh wrote:first post, but reading here for years

so, please tell me someone has a saved version somewhere of how the webpage looked before the SMALL CHILDREN rant
Ditto. I've got a friend who wasn't able to see it before it was taken down.
Oberst Tharnow wrote:Oh, you could recognise that it has something to do with 40K from the distinctive Raven Guard symbol on his sig...if you are good with 40K fluff, that is.
Meh, birds designed in such ways are generic enough that it didn't jump out at me. If it had been a more unique chapter symbol like the Imperial fists or Salamanders I most certainly would've connected the ideas. I'll have to check out that fanfic.

About the kids thing. I hear that it is a big problem in a lot of stores, but luckily I've been able to avoid it. From what I've heard, kids playing 40k are more prevalent in the UK, but that could be wrong. When you started 40K, did you pick it up at a GW, or at an independent retailer?

My post wasn't to say that kids don't play 40K. I've heard enough people complaining about it to know they do. I was more saying I've never encountered it. Lucky me, I guess.
Last edited by Lord Relvenous on 2009-06-22 04:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Damnit, accidentally quoted myself instead of editing. Could a mod delete this post?
Last edited by Lord Relvenous on 2009-06-22 04:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Awesome, thanks.
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Post by CaiusWickersham »

My thoughts on the matter for anyone who might be interested in them: http://the7thmajestic.xanga.com/weblog
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Stark wrote:You'll never guess what the number 1 hit on google for 'firefly sexist propaganda' is, Bats.
You're right. I didn't. :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Post by Invictus ChiKen »

Stark wrote:Look you can't do that; the army list clearly states the College of Cardinals only gets Demolisher armour at a +9pt IF it's deployed in full which is not viable at your level, not even if you ditch the laiety requirements.

Oh shit he's the Pope now, I don't have the newest sourcebooks, MUST PURCHASE MORE PRODUCTS!
There's more the Latin Mass can be taken again AND SSPX and the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (+10 when fighting USA Sinners) can be taken in a Loyal Catholic army.

Of course they retooled both lines of products I am afraid...
"The real ideological schism in America is not Republican vs Democrat; it is North vs South, Urban vs Rural, and it has been since the 19th century."
-Mike Wong
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

On the small children issue, I often see kids in my local GW shops, either painting or playing. I'd say they are around 12, some of them younger even. I suspect some parents find it very convenient to have their kids being taken care of by the GW Staff.
In fact, there's a policy in the stores regarding foul language, meant explicitly to prevent kids from hearing it.

The Space MarinesG.I.Joe come equipped with all of the latest sneaky back-door techniques of conditioning children to accept war and total obedience to authority, complete with telling them to extract pride from doing so and to see themselves as superior beings with the unquestionable right to kill, on command. All in a fun package guaranteed to go mostly unnoticed by distracted, harried parents
Really, how could this paragraph not apply to any military-themed toy out there?
unsigned