Opinions on John Ringo?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Opinions on John Ringo?

Post by Alex Moon »

I read A Hymn Before Battle online, and wasn't too terribly impressed. Anywho, I was wondering what other people thought of his Posleen books. Does the series get any better?
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

I only got a couple pages into the first book before bouncing.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

are either of you normally fans of military sci-fi?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

His books get better - AHBB was his first and it shows. Gust Front and Where the Devil Dances are better; his March to the ____ series is co-written with David Weber and that also benefits from his experience as a writer.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

consequences wrote:are either of you normally fans of military sci-fi?
I've read Stirling's Nantucket and Draka series and a couple books by Eric Flint. I enjoyed Stirling's books and Flint's collaboration with Dave Freer, Rats Bats and Vats. I was able to finish Mother of Demons but I wasn't impressed.
Given that background, do you think I would enjoy Ringo's books?
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

it depends, and you really can't judge an author by one of his books, especially if it is his first. I haven't read the Nantucket series, but I found the Draka to be more of a socio-political study after the first book than anything else. I know I liked his books, but I will cheerfully admit that I am biased to like any military sci-fi novel that is halfway decent. My personal recommendation is to take any book you are unsure of, sit down in one of those comfy chairs that Barnes and Noble have so thoughtfully provided, and read it for at least a half-hour before you come to a decision.